Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,363 members, 7,812,038 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:57 AM

A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers (9432 Views)

Femi Aribisala Asks Zahra Buhari A Question Over Aso Rock Clinic Statement / Senator Shehu Sani Has A Question For Secessionists? / Femi Aribisala's Question About The Chibok Girls (See Tweet) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by tee10: 10:18pm On Jul 05, 2016
naptu2:

People have been asking that question for as long as I can remember.

President Shagari bought a heck of a lot of black W126 S Class Benz for CVU in the early 1980s (they replaced the green W116 that were used by the military). He also bought a stretch W123 for the ground fleet. The W126 was nicknamed "Shagari Benz" by nigerians. People severely criticised Shagari because of the number of luxury cars in the CVU fleet. It was one of the reasons why he was hated by many nigerians.

Buhari and Babangida cut back on such luxuries when they came to power, but Babangida soon started spending like crazy. Nigeria hosted the OAU summit in 1991 and Babangida bought several (some say 25, some say 50) stretch W124 Mercedes Benz limousines to convey the heads of state that attended the summit. Some of the limousines were kept at the CVU depots in Lagos, Enugu and Kaduna after the summit. Babangida was also severely criticised for buying those cars.

Obasanjo felt that CVU was an unnecessary waste of resources, so he decided to sell the depots in Enugu and Kaduna and all the cars in Lagos, Enugu and Kaduna, but Yar'Adua reversed Obasanjo's directives.

President Jonathan planned to buy new Mercedes Benz S600 Maybach (W222) for the ground fleet (in Abuja) and BMW cars for CVU, but President Buhari reversed the plan. He said that there was no need to buy any new cars.

Sheer excess luxury

I don't think the Queen of England has long fleet of luxury cars in her various palaces

Certainly the U.S president does not enjoy such luxury

We should be more. Prudent

Thanks 4 d insght...I presume u very close to d action in d presidency
Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by yarimo(m): 10:34pm On Jul 05, 2016
Oga please take it easy, nairalanders are aware that he is YABA LEFT patients
mrvitalis:

This is the greatest insult on Nigeria
Nairalanders mods.. This guy deserves a life ban... . For calling the Nigerian presidential flag a terrorist flag.. ..

I swear I would have slapped the hell out of u if u said that in my presence.... Arrant rubbish
Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by naptu2: 10:52pm On Jul 05, 2016
tee10:

Sheer excess luxury

I don't think the Queen of England has long fleet of luxury cars in her various palaces

Certainly the U.S president does not enjoy such luxury

We should be more. Prudent

Thanks 4 d insght...I presume u very close to d action in d presidency

The UK equivalent of CVU is probably the Royal Mews. That's where the Queen's horses and carriages are kept. Her official cars are also kept there and they include the two Bentley State Limousines that were given to her on her golden jubilee in 2002, the Rolls Royce Phantom VI that was given to her on her silver jubilee in 1977, another Phantom VI, a very rare Phantom IV (she used to have two, but she gave one to Prince Charles), two stretch Jaguars and several Daimlers. She also has a specially made Range Rover and a Land Rover review vehicle that she uses at parades. The Royal Mews also has mini buses for her staff.

Note that the Queen also has her own personal vehicles that are not kept in the Royal Mews.

The Bentley State Limousines and the silver jubilee Rolls Royce are used by heads of state on state visit to the UK.

One of two Bentley State Limousines.

1977 Rolls Royce Phantom VI in front and 1986 Phatom VI behind.

The UK Government also has its Government Car and Despatch Agency, which provides Jaguar Sentinel cars for the use of the Prime Minister, former prime ministers and senior ministers and also for visiting heads of state and government.

The US Secret Service maintains many armoured cadillac stretch limousines for the use of visiting heads of state and government and senior US government officials. I heard a news report earlier this year that the Secret Service has reduced the number of limousines it has in order to reduce cost, but I don't remember the exact number of limos it has.

President Obasanjo was driven in a Secret Service Cadillac limousine when he visited the US, while President Buhari was driven in a Secret Service Chevrolet Suburban.

The US president has two specially made Cadillac limousines and two specially made Chevrolet Suburbans that he uses. The cars are flown to wherever in the world that the president is travelling to. There are also several vehicles in the motorcade that always follow the president, no matter where he is going to. These include several heavily armoured Chevrolet Suburbans, an electronic counter measures vehicle (to jam radio frequencies and for communication) and an ambulance.

3 Likes

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by MrPolitics: 10:53pm On Jul 05, 2016
The president's Benz would be worth more than $190,000 because of the extra security and protection enhancements it will have.

And I'm sure they'll have atleast 3 of it

1 Like

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by bigsmoke2(m): 3:07am On Jul 06, 2016
Instead of contracting indigenous company like innoson to design and build armoured limousine for the CVU and other presidential fleet thereby encouraginig local industry but no they prefer to waste forex aqiuiring cars biult by other nations. Queen rides a bentley, Obama rides a cardillac ,Angela merkel rides a BMW, matteo renzi uses a masserati, emperor of Japan rides a toyota , hollande rides a Renault and so on

1 Like

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by arterxerxes: 5:22am On Jul 06, 2016
bigsmoke2:
Instead of contracting indigenous company like innoson to design and build armoured limousine for the CVU and other presidential fleet thereby encouraginig local industry but no they prefer to waste forex aqiuiring cars biult by other nations. Queen rides a bentley, Obama rides a cardillac ,Angela merkel rides a BMW, matteo renzi uses a masserati, emperor of Japan rides a toyota , hollande rides a Renault and so on
People are impressing me here with knowledge. I never knew Nairalanders are so vast. Thanks guys. I appreciate
Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by mrfizy(m): 6:59am On Jul 06, 2016
The flag is the presidential flag of the federal republic of Nigeria.
Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by Tochex101(m): 7:03am On Jul 06, 2016
bigsmoke2:

Dont you think innoson hasn't gotten to that level of specialization.

4 Likes

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by Nobody: 7:14am On Jul 06, 2016
mrvitalis:

This is the greatest insultders mods.. This guy deserves a life ban... . For calling the Nigerian presidential flag a terrorist flag.. ..

I swear I would have slapped the hell out of u if u said that in my presence.... Arrant rubbish

Slap? Is he your slave? He aired his opinion and as wrong as it is, it his opinion. For you to threaten him shows how stupid and intolerant you are.

Why am I not surprised self, a zombie will always be a zombie.

Apc/buhari supporter tend to be violent.

1 Like

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by Nobody: 7:46am On Jul 06, 2016
mrvitalis:

This is the greatest insult on Nigeria
Nairalanders mods.. This guy deserves a life ban... . For calling the Nigerian presidential flag a terrorist flag.. ..

My brother I like your seeming patriotism buh do you have to report every untoward act to ur class captain? What happened to the leader in you?
A simple education is what the brother needs, which I'm sure you could have provided.

1 Like

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by ba7man(m): 7:50am On Jul 06, 2016
bigsmoke2:
Innoson is a Chinese vehicle for the masses.

It's been revealed time and time again on this forum.
Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by mrvitalis(m): 7:52am On Jul 06, 2016
gboss4sure:

Slap? Is he your slave? He aired his opinion and as wrong as it is, it his opinion. For you to threaten him shows how stupid and intolerant you are.

Why am I not surprised self, a zombie will always be a zombie.

Apc/buhari supporter tend to be violent.
This is not about APC or PDP... It's not about North or south.. .. This is about the symbol of the president of fedral Republic of Nigeria.. ..
And someone insults that and u expect me to be quite and laugh at him??
U can insult Buhari and Jonathan but not the office of the president. .. hope u get that now? ?
Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by dfrost: 8:36am On Jul 06, 2016
arterxerxes:
So you are the Naptu2 that Obiageli said I should call. You are so vast in this from your comments. Great one. You should join the Airforce

My brother this is the naptu2 ooo. Follow him like I did because he's vast in Nigeria's history. I put his age at about 42 - 48 *chuckles*.

I told him to write a history book. I'm yet to see it.
Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:53pm On Jul 23, 2016
naptu2:

I'm going to answer your question in three parts.

1) Conference Visitors Unit (CVU) and the Presidential Ground Fleet.

The CVU is the government agency that provides logistics for national and international conferences and events like AU and Ecowas summits that are hosted by Nigeria. It was set up in the early 1960s. It has a large fleet of executive cars and it has depots in Lagos, Kaduna, Enugu, etc, in addition to its headquarters in Abuja. President Obasanjo once planned to sell off the depots and cars, but this wasn't done.

The car you saw in Katsina might be from the CVU depot in Kaduna.

2) C130:

Sometimes the president's vehicles are flown in Air Force C130 cargo planes, so it might be the exact same car that took him to the airport in Abuja that he would ride in when he gets to Katsina.

3) The second flag is the Armed Forces flag. It is the flag of the Commander In Chief of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

Always something to learn from the big boss
Once again Naptu2 you are the bomb

1 Like

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by 400billionman: 12:05am On Jul 24, 2016
Keneking:

I get your point. The armed forces flag is useless at the point it is mounted on the official car of a civilian President because the agency which it evokes, is that of dictatorship not democracy.

My submission is that a party's flag (whether APC or PDP or HOPE or whatever) attached to an official car of the President is a marker of the place of democratic leadership in the country. Seeing it stand side-side the national flag would no doubt inspire more confidence in the democratic practise of the country.

Post one of your usual monkey pictures.

Your arguement is sweet.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photo Speak: Aisha Buhari Visited Qatar Not USA- Pics / PDP Deceitful Cabal Has Held Delta Down Since 1999 – Ogboru / PDP Clears Cross River LG Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.