Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:34 AM

Marriage And Our Society - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Marriage And Our Society (705 Views)

How Ladies See Their Body In The Society(pics). / If A Man Proposes Marriage And She Refuses. What Next? / After She Had Told You No Sex Before Marriage And On Wedding Night U Found This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage And Our Society by Peacetemi: 11:18pm On Jul 05, 2016
[b] Just thinking out loud.
The way people take marriage in the african society is intriguing, in an african society being in a relationship at a young age ( teen age) is absolutely unacceptable, your parents could kill you if they find out you're dating ( most especially female children) at that point in your life all they say to you is 'read your books'. And throughout your schooling it isn't expected of you to ever get in a relationship, but when you graduate and luckily get a good job, the first thing they say to you is 'go and marry'. That's when moms start telling you they want 99 grandchildren, they start pressurizing you and might even involve religous elders (everything is always spiritual for africans). Pressurizing people into getting married is the reason why most marriages fail. Why does this society think of marriage as a 'do or die' affair?? Forcing people into getting married has a lot of harmful effects.
Effects of forced marriages
-People end up with partners they don't love. Imagine meeting someone and getting married within a month. What kinda love could you have fallen into??

-You could get married to someone you dont even know at all if you rush into it. This is very common, you get married and then the wolf comes out of the sheep. It usually takes a long time to really get to know someone, so don't rush into it.

-Even when the marriage is abusive, some people still stay in it just because of what the society thinks. Believe me if the marriage is abusive, you're still gonna get out of it, either through 'the door' or 'body bag' . The choice is yours.

-Some guys who are just struggling to survive borrow money just for the wedding (dammit this is fvcking disgusting) you can barely take care of yourself and you think the next thing on your 'priority list' is to get married and have legions of children while the struggle continues.

There are lots of harmful effects that arise from this, but I'll drop my pen here. So before you get forced into marriage, better think thrice, the people putting the pressure on you won't taste your sufferings, once you get into it you're on your own. So please set your priorities right, there is time for everything.
[/b]

Re: Marriage And Our Society by MRBrownJ: 4:04am On Jul 06, 2016
well said!
i guess parents want their children to succeed academically 1st, so daddy and mummy can be proud/satisfied about the years they have invested in that child's life (thus feeling that it wasnt in vain), and 2nd so that this child has a bright future (and means to supprt his/herself) if ever her marriage fails
Re: Marriage And Our Society by lovean: 4:11am On Jul 06, 2016
madam...there's noting wrong with that poster advert....if u tink there is.....try being single @35-40 year old.
Re: Marriage And Our Society by MRBrownJ: 4:47am On Jul 06, 2016
lovean:
madam...there's noting wrong with that poster advert....if u tink there is.....try being single @35-40 year old.

i think you meant "try being unmarried at 35/40", because there are many dating women of that age bracket, that aint seeking for the Mrs status, but instead seek for their own happiness, as a being. yes, in Nigeria marriage is a do or die mission for the majority, but many are now aiming for HAPPINESS 1st, rather than the often failed notion that marriage brings happiness to anyone's life (thus people marrying total strangers).
Re: Marriage And Our Society by babyfaceafrica: 4:54am On Jul 06, 2016
Lolz...I love africa....
Re: Marriage And Our Society by mrmrmister: 6:22pm On Jul 06, 2016
cool
Re: Marriage And Our Society by lovean: 6:50pm On Jul 08, 2016
MRBrownJ:

i think you meant "try being unmarried at 35/40", because there are many dating women of that age bracket, that aint seeking for the Mrs status, but instead seek for their own happiness, as a being. yes, in Nigeria marriage is a do or die mission for the majority, but many are now aiming for HAPPINESS 1st, rather than the often failed notion that marriage brings happiness to anyone's life (thus people marrying total strangers).
my dear,no sane lady dating at age 35-40 that won't talk to her partner about marriage ,well except she doesn't want children while married and very little guys will marry a woman that has menopused well except he already has kids else where or marring her as a spare (second, third) wife.

(1) (Reply)

How Office Romance Caused Chinedu His Job And Made Him A Boss / 4 Kenyans Perish In Horrific Crash (PHOTOS) / Man Leaves 24 Yr Old Pretty Wife For DEAD After Pregnancy Left Her Disabled

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.