Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,611 members, 7,770,623 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:11 PM

What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? (8990 Views)

Man Shares How His Wife Who Is An Architect Suffers Sexism In Her Profession / Male Nigerian Nurse: Proud Of His Profession / Meet The Lady Who Takes Painting As A Profession (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Jamean(f): 10:48pm On Jul 06, 2016
Hey guys, happy holiday.
I wish the moon can wait like this every year grin

So... just a little play and throw back time to cool off for the holiday. Friday ain't far though.

This thread will be about sharing our reasons for choosing a department in high school, the factors and people that aided your choice of course of study even though you ended up not practising it.

For me, I grew up being very organised and always wanted to be able to account for whatever I had and plan for what I needed. In junior secondary I did very well in all subjects save for Music (those musical notes were like rocket science). I remember enjoying my shorthand, Introductory Technology drawing, my fine art designs and sketching a skeleton in Integrated Science.  smiley So, in a way I was well to do on every side. Subtly, I  had settled within me to study Physiology for the awe of the workings of the human body, the ecosystem and other living organisms I learnt from Integrated Science. Till the nightmare of balancing equation and all those chemical shii came up. I had 2 of my teachers explain the topics to me but to no avail.

I knew not understanding chemical components was gonna be trouble for me in Chemistry so I settled for Commercial dept when it was time to choose. I wasn't completely happy about this decision. Meanwhile, my clique of friends all went to science department. At the beginning of 3rd term I had made up my mind to switch to Sciences and discussed with my mum to come speak with the school management. I went ahead to collect notes of the prior terms from my closest friend (of blessed memory) in Science dept so I can catch up with what they had done.

Well, he influenced me to come his house. Unknowing to me that he had told his elder sister who was a chartered accountant to advise me to remain in commercial department and be my best there. The set up worked and I had a counsel of my life and that was the last day I ever pondered on being a science student.

Unfortunately, He died at the end of that term. I finished high and studied accounting at the university. Today, I practice as an accountant and I love every bit of it.

So... who's next, let's hear your story.  smiley

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by STENON(f): 11:12pm On Jul 06, 2016
My Dad.
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by papinx(m): 9:30am On Jul 09, 2016
Passion it is...
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Ferdyboss: 12:06pm On Jul 09, 2016
Jamean, Ordinary balancing of chemical reaction grin

My dream was to become a nuclear Engineer, but no Nigerian Varsity does that. So, I opted for the closest alternative- "Chemical".

No one had any influence on my choice. My passion for STEM was by default the driving force.

6 Likes

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Getrich47(m): 1:16pm On Jul 09, 2016
That would definitely be my dad, and my love for energy industry
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by KillerBeauty(f): 3:05pm On Jul 09, 2016
Jamb
Post jamb
Uniben

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Jamean(f): 9:59pm On Jul 09, 2016
Ferdyboss:
Jamean, Ordinary balancing of chemical reaction grin

My dream was to become a nuclear Engineer, but no Nigerian Varsity does that. So, I opted for the closest alternative- "Chemical".

No one had any influence on my choice. My passion for STEM was by default the driving force.

lol! Na so I see am. I kuku park well.
Nice one. Well, you can further as a Nuclear Engineer, but obviously not in the Nigerian environment.
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Ferdyboss: 4:40pm On Jul 10, 2016
Jamean:

lol! Na so I see am. I kuku park well.
Nice one. Well, you can further as a Nuclear Engineer, but obviously not in the Nigerian environment.

Interest dwindled over the years. I'm over it now.

1 Like

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Moyarh(m): 7:58pm On Jul 10, 2016
Hmmm... i disliked anything that had to do with figures in school, cos i sucked at it at the time. So art class was definitely for me grin and i excelled there too cool. I was also very good with pencils so my love for art too cool... as for course, my government teacher influenced that angry i was realllly good in government, and she always made reference to me, planted so much thoughts of political science in my head and when jamb came, i couldnt think of anything else lipsrsealed
Three years down the line, i realized i was good in the course, the academic aspect of it, but politics wasnt what i wanted... then i took a course in human resources, and that sparked my interest so i delved into it after school... and here I am today... HR...
I still like the idea of entrepreneurship tho grin

3 Likes

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Olalekanbanky1(m): 6:11am On Jul 11, 2016
grin
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Saheed9: 6:12am On Jul 11, 2016
my
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by visijo(m): 6:12am On Jul 11, 2016
peer
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by baba11(m): 6:12am On Jul 11, 2016
I was very good in mathematics and further mathematics and the passion i have for anything engineering - this is the passion that kept me going during the course of studying the course and early part of my professional careers respectively!

1 Like

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by lonelydora: 6:12am On Jul 11, 2016
Although I wanted to be a doctor in my JSS class due to my love for Integrated Science, but the gene of 'Thomas Edison' which runs strong in my veins pushed my inquisitive mind to the workings of appliances like fans, radios, toys, etc and also comparison between my Engineer uncle who had more money more than my Doctor uncle pushed me more to the side of Engineering.

7 Likes

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by adewumiopeyemi(m): 6:13am On Jul 11, 2016
my lovely mum

1 Like

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by yungest(m): 6:18am On Jul 11, 2016
Majority-Jamb the course decider...post jamb-the destiny changer..... university admission list-the final killer.....

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by duduade: 6:24am On Jul 11, 2016
Condition was my factor...
When you don't have a choice...
I wanted to be a Medical Doctor... Then I realized I was just deceiving myself... So I decided to read what the university offered me...

3 Likes

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Nobody: 6:26am On Jul 11, 2016
Chaii
Frustrated nation and people
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Herapal(m): 6:28am On Jul 11, 2016
KillerBeauty:
Jamb
Post jamb
Uniben
True for many Nigerians. There are some courses that no one applies for.
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by speciallymade(m): 6:43am On Jul 11, 2016
As some people has rightly pointed out

Jamb.. I passed jamb

Post jamb.. I didn't do bad either

University.... They redirected me from engineering to earth Science

People.... A street brother advised me to take up the new course because it's a good and lucrative course in a developing country like Nigeria coupled with the fact I didn't want to write jamb for the second time and honestly I'm enjoying it, can't think of doing anything else again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Dejiy10(m): 6:45am On Jul 11, 2016
a passion for creating, for designing, for construction, for buildings and hence, Architecture

3 Likes

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by aare07(m): 6:47am On Jul 11, 2016
My mother.
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by mankan2k7(m): 6:50am On Jul 11, 2016
myself chose to be what I eventually became. Team mls
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Swissheart(f): 6:52am On Jul 11, 2016
My English Studies Teacher was one pretty lady I never got tired of listening to. I admired her greatly. Today I am an English Studies Teacher.....I know she did the 'runs' in my heart.

1 Like

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Welcomme: 6:53am On Jul 11, 2016
I studied Public Administration cuz I was not offered my first choice course which was LAW. But , I assure myself that if God permits, I am still going to study law in d nearest future because that has been my dream course from nursery school.

2 Likes

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Darkseid(m): 6:55am On Jul 11, 2016
I've always wanted to be a scientist like Einstein, wear a white lab coat and invent things. When I got to senior secondary, I decided to go for Mech. Engr. because people said it was the only way to make money. I still thank God that it didn't work out for me and very soon I'll be the scientist that I've always dreamt of.
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Okijajuju1(m): 6:56am On Jul 11, 2016
My Mother..

She said; If you study any course that isn't Engineering I will not pay your school fees.. grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Nobody: 6:58am On Jul 11, 2016
Right from the onset, i always wanted to explore the ranging mountains around me along my way to the farm on every saturday..so that oneday, i will strike gold and the story of my life would change for good(from an average family)..Over the years,this desire kept burning and it translated into excellent grade for me in geography and somehow some science courses..but after my secondary school i followed the 'medical crew' and i got jaded..Though i got admission into a top federal university, into a course i never wanted,i self encouraged myself to continue in that field that i had no vibe and interest in..After my first year, i had to quit, sat my butt down and re-ignited that fire for my childhood love 'geology'..and now am in my third year,and it has been natural and awesome for me..with the good grades(all thanks to GOD) and the life experiences...I LOOK AT THE MILLIONS OF LITTLE GEOLOGIC LIGHTS I WOULD HAVE QUENCHED AT THE OTHER SIDE, AND AM SO GRATEFUL FOR FINDING THE PERFECT TOUCH TODAY.....I JUST THANK GOD..

5 Likes

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Nobody: 7:02am On Jul 11, 2016
I didn't care for going to the university, my parents insisted. So, I took the first course offered to me (computer science), graduated with a fine result in 2011 and I have never needed my certificate till date. I run my own business.

1 Like

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by icebot: 7:04am On Jul 11, 2016
Fate...
I wanted to go to commercial class but I got into Science class because one of my teachers spotted me in commercial class and directed me to go to Science class...

Didn't know what I wanted read while filling up my JAMB form, an older cousin came visiting that day and told me to fill Engineering and that was it.. got admitted into Engineering...

Wanted to work in the field as an engineer, An unexpected turn of events took me to the lecture halls...
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by emyryx(m): 7:05am On Jul 11, 2016
i started out as the best in computer all thru jss buh wasnt that good in maths and chemistry. so i gave up my dream of ever being a tech guru. I studied public admin at the uni, buh still considering niit just to satisfy my inner self.
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Nobody: 7:06am On Jul 11, 2016
I wanted to be a career banker like my dad, he had success written all over him. I was also doing very well in Jss, leading the class in Typing, Shorthand, Business Studies, etc. Those things came naturally.
JS 3 second term holidays, an aunt visited and asked me what I wanted putting in for JSCE and I was like "commercial class", and she was like hey, you have the trappings of a doctor, why not go into sciences class. That was it!
Today I'm a doctor and I'm thankful to her for that golden advice.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The New Nigeria Local Content Joint Qualification Website: What Is In It For Me? / Benefits Of Modern Office Design To Nigerian Employees / 7 Effective Tools For Managing Your Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.