Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,452 members, 7,770,123 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:31 AM

What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? (8988 Views)

Man Shares How His Wife Who Is An Architect Suffers Sexism In Her Profession / Male Nigerian Nurse: Proud Of His Profession / Meet The Lady Who Takes Painting As A Profession (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by ngoben(f): 7:11am On Jul 11, 2016
Studied economics..loved figures... Be a medical doctor bt chemistry n physics bleeped me up big tym in ss1 so I got discouraged....proudly an economist

1 Like

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Umartins1(m): 7:13am On Jul 11, 2016
Prof Charles Soludo and Dr. Mrs Okonjo Iweala.
I am now studying Economics in Unilag after seven years of pursuit.

2 Likes

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Spells(m): 7:15am On Jul 11, 2016
I just dey laf since cheesy una tink say una dey Yankee abi Toh for una info, naija don't give a fu*k abt ur passion neither does da uni nor our so-called lecturer's
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by awennie(f): 7:17am On Jul 11, 2016
while in secondary school, I was never good with the sciences, also had issues with mathematics. so I opted for law and determined to be the best there. Wrote jamb and picked law. Now I'm a final year law student at OAU.

1 Like

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by NigerianScholar: 7:23am On Jul 11, 2016
Jamean:
Hey guys, happy holiday.
I wish the moon can wait like this every year grin

So... just a little play and throw back time to cool off for the holiday. Friday ain't far though.

This thread will be about sharing our reasons for choosing a department in high school, the factors and people that aided your choice of course of study even though you ended up not practising it.

For me, I grew up being very organised and always wanted to be able to account for whatever I had and plan for what I needed. In junior secondary I did very well in all subjects save for Music (those musical notes were like rocket science). I remember enjoying my shorthand, Introductory Technology drawing, my fine art designs and sketching a skeleton in Integrated Science.  smiley So, in a way I was well to do on every side. Subtly, I  had settled within me to study Physiology for the awe of the workings of the human body, the ecosystem and other living organisms I learnt from Integrated Science. Till the nightmare of balancing equation and all those chemical shii came up. I had 2 of my teachers explain the topics to me but to no avail.

I knew not understanding chemical components was gonna be trouble for me in Chemistry so I settled for Commercial dept when it was time to choose. I wasn't completely happy about this decision. Meanwhile, my clique of friends all went to science department. At the beginning of 3rd term I had made up my mind to switch to Sciences and discussed with my mum to come speak with the school management. I went ahead to collect notes of the prior terms from my closest friend (of blessed memory) in Science dept so I can catch up with what they had done.

Well, he influenced me to come his house. Unknowing to me that he had told his elder sister who was a chartered accountant to advise me to remain in commercial department and be my best there. The set up worked and I had a counsel of my life and that was the last day I ever pondered on being a science student.

Unfortunately, He died at the end of that term. I finished high and studied accounting at the university. Today, I practice as an accountant and I love every bit of it.

So... who's next, let's hear your story.  smiley
My hatred for long notes and subjects like civic nd business studies made me run away from the arts nd commercial class. But, I am very good in maths,int.tech nd int. science so. Going to science class wasnt that big of a choice.
But, I had to do biology which meant long notes and useless diagrams angry I endured till I got to ss3 and I dropped it immediately.
I didn't do any engineering course because I hate all those engineering drawings. I hated chemistry also. No biology, no medicine. Csnt spend 7 years in school. So, I chose computer science. Because I will have a wide range of options when I finish

I want to be my own person. I didnt allow anyone to influence my decision

2 Likes

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by NigerianScholar: 7:27am On Jul 11, 2016
KillerBeauty:
Jamb
Post jamb
Uniben
grin cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy Savage
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Mospring(m): 7:28am On Jul 11, 2016
cryhad serious passion for virtually all science courses; back then I was the Osei Ababio of my class! so, I opted to take up medical courses and did well jamb wise, but Concessional fees pulled me down n out cos of my parents shallow earning, an uncle later helped me choose a different field during supplementary....I.e. Technology Education, E/E option. sadhad serious passion for virtually all science courses; back then I was the Osei Ababio of my class! so, I opted to take up medical courses and did well jamb wise, but Concessional fees pulled me down n out cos of my parents shallow earning, an uncle later helped me choose a different field during supplementary....I.e. Technology Education, E/E option. graduated with 2:1 n currently serving and never had any reference while in school
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Okemmuo(m): 7:29am On Jul 11, 2016
Bertolt brechts Galileo Galilei. Science in arts
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by coolluk(m): 7:30am On Jul 11, 2016
i became an enterpreneur cos i wanted freedom, not necessarily monetary but life

life is to short for 9-5
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by NigerianScholar: 7:31am On Jul 11, 2016
Okijajuju1:
My Mother..

She said; If you study any course that isn't Engineering I will not pay your school fees.. grin
Career options in a Nigerian home
1. A doctor
2. An engineer
3. A lawyer
4. A failure

2 Likes

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Nobody: 7:32am On Jul 11, 2016
I'm a lover of nature and was good at geography back in secondary school. Had to opt in for geology and geophysics.

1 Like

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by NigerianScholar: 7:33am On Jul 11, 2016
Azil:
I didn't care for going to the university, my parents insisted. So, I took the first course offered to me (computer science), graduated with a fine result in 2011 and I have never needed my certificate till date. I run my own business.
Please shed more light on this.
I am doing computer science
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by tasceige(m): 7:51am On Jul 11, 2016
speciallymade:
As some people has rightly pointed out

Jamb.. I passed jamb

Post jamb.. I didn't do bad either

University.... They redirected me from engineering to earth Science

People.... A street brother advised me to take up the new course because it's a good and lucrative course in a developing country like Nigeria coupled with the fact I didn't want to write jamb for the second time and honestly I'm enjoying it, can't think of doing anything else again

Now this is my story and very inspiring, but Can we talk about this please? Am at a cross road here.
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Jamean(f): 8:01am On Jul 11, 2016
NigerianScholar:

My hatred for long notes and subjects like civic nd business studies made me run away from the arts nd commercial class. But, I am very good in maths,int.tech nd int. science so. Going to science class wasnt that big of a choice.
But, I had to do biology which meant long notes and useless diagrams angry I endured till I got to ss3 and I dropped it immediately.
I didn't do any engineering course because I hate all those engineering drawings. I hated chemistry also. No biology, no medicine. Csnt spend 7 years in school. So, I chose computer science. Because I will have a wide range of options when I finish

I want to be my own person. I didnt allow anyone to influence my decision

You hate a lot of things sha undecided
Nice one though.
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Jamean(f): 8:06am On Jul 11, 2016
duduade:
Condition was my factor...
When you don't have a choice...
I wanted to be a Medical Doctor... Then I realized I was just deceiving myself... So I decided to read what the university offered me...

Lol! what did the university offer you?
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by duduade: 8:13am On Jul 11, 2016
Jamean:

Lol! what did the university offer you?
Zoology...

1 Like

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by kingofthejungle(m): 8:14am On Jul 11, 2016
lonelydora:
Although I wanted to be a doctor in my JSS class due to my love for Integrated Science, but the gene of 'Thomas Edison' which runs strong in my veins pushed my love for appliances like fans, radios, toys, etc and also comparison between my Engineer uncle who had more money more than my Doctor uncle pushed me more to the side of Engineering.
. lol u are so honest

1 Like

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by ERONX(m): 8:26am On Jul 11, 2016
My dad is a SAN I developed interest in the legal profession so i choose the legal part by studying LAW here in Ontario and I intend sitting for the American Bar Exams so I can practice LAW in the United States. That's my major Goal.

1 Like

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by blinxbest(m): 8:29am On Jul 11, 2016
never loved maths but loved economics so much, now in final year economics...maths na normal thing now o, no escape route. My passion for econs got me this far
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by gracyblaze(f): 8:33am On Jul 11, 2016
Jamean:
Hey guys, happy holiday.

So... just a little play and throw back time to cool off for the holiday. Friday ain't far though.

This thread will be about sharing our reasons for choosing a department in high school, the factors and people that aided your choice of course of study even though you ended up not practising it.

For me, I grew up being very organised and always wanted to be able to account for whatever I had and plan for what I needed. In junior secondary I did very well in all subjects save for Music (those musical notes were like rocket science). I remember enjoying my shorthand, Introductory Technology drawing, my fine art designs and sketching a skeleton in Integrated Science.  smiley So, in a way I was well to do on every side. Subtly, I  had settled within me to study Physiology for the awe of the workings of the human body, the ecosystem and other living organisms I learnt from Integrated Science. Till the nightmare of balancing equation and all those chemical shii came up. I had 2 of my teachers explain the topics to me but to no avail.

I knew not understanding chemical components was gonna be trouble for me in Chemistry so I settled for Commercial dept when it was time to choose. I wasn't completely happy about this decision. Meanwhile, my clique of friends all went to science department. At the beginning of 3rd term I had made up my mind to switch to Sciences and discussed with my mum to come speak with the school management. I went ahead to collect notes of the prior terms from my closest friend (of blessed memory) in Science dept so I can catch up with what they had done.

Well, he influenced me to come his house. Unknowing to me that he had told his elder sister who was a chartered accountant to advise me to remain in commercial department and be my best there. The set up worked and I had a counsel of my life and that was the last day I ever pondered on being a science student.

Unfortunately, He died at the end of that term. I finished high and studied accounting at the university. Today, I practice as an accountant and I love every bit of it.

As a kid, I always knew I wanted to count money. So I started grooming myself from Junior class. When I got to senior class, so many forces started working against my dream. Everybody was like 'you are intelligent, go to science class. Commercial class is for dullards'.

But I trust my stubborn self. I insisted.

Thank God for my supportive parents, you are free to choose any course of your choice.

Currently an Accounting graduate, still working on becoming a chartered accountant.

Still jobless though.. cry

3 Likes

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by STOKLOSA: 8:37am On Jul 11, 2016
WAS GOOD AT AGRIC IN JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL. THEN LATER TWAS INTEGRATED SCIENCE, INTRODUCTORY TECH AND MUSIC.
I CHOSE SCIENCES IN MY SS2. WAS SO MUCH IN LOVE WITH CHEMISTRY DT I PASSED IT WITH GOOD GRADES WITHOUT MUCH STRESS.
I WAS MADE THE HEAD OF THE SCHOOL CLINIC WHERE I DISPENSE DRUGS TO SICK STUDENTS, TREAT MINOR AND FEW MAJOR CUTS.
BECAME CONVERSANT WITH FEW DRUGS IN THE SCHOOL CLINIC THEN.
TIME FOR JAMB REGISTRATION CAME, I WENT FOR PHARMACY. TODAY, AM A PHARMACIST!!! WILL BE A PHARMACIST IN MY NEXT LIFE.
THANK GOD FOR EVERYTHING HE DID IN MY LIFE.
NEVER LET UR PASSION DIE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Abimloaded(m): 8:37am On Jul 11, 2016
Dejiy10:
a passion for creating, for designing, for construction, for buildings and hence, Architecture

Greatest Course Ever!!

I'm an Architect in the making... Still a student ??
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Lero15(m): 8:43am On Jul 11, 2016
yungest:
Majority-Jamb the course decider...post jamb-the destiny changer..... university admission list-the final killer.....
grin grin
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by kunlexze(m): 8:58am On Jul 11, 2016
I was very good in mathematics since my jss class, fast forward to ss class, i was really doing good in math & f/math. I just got be-witched by medcine syndrome oo
So i choosed medicine and passed jamb but cud't meet up with p/utme.

Then i thinked twice and came back to my senses.
My passion for math made engineering a hot cake for me, but i decided to go for computer science so far it's mathematics based and has a wide range of options.
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by jessykings(f): 9:16am On Jul 11, 2016
Mine was cahsment area grin. Made jamb n post jamb buh due to d large number of pple that applied for same course, cut-off points were raised based on state of origin and since mine fell short of what was set for my state even though I passed perfectly well, I was given a completely different course!
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Conner44: 9:18am On Jul 11, 2016
Jamean:
Hey guys, happy holiday.

Since I was small I like money. I already said to everyone who would ask that I wanted to be a Banker.

I went straight to commercial class and aced it. I wrote poly jamb, jamb and aced it. Got admission on merit to study accounts and poly and banking at uni. I chose banking. And it was good.

Fast forward to 3rd year, I was a computer nerd. I learnt computers stuff from here and there so fast within my undergraduate days, I was questioning myself by my final year if I might have chosen a wrong career path. It made me lose some focus in studies But all the same I pushed on.

Now I've made up my mind to study further and return to get a degree in ICT. Hopefully an advanced degree because I have my own practical experience plus the zeal to learn

It's a wonderful thing when someone discovers his/her talent at a young age. Parents and teachers are supposed to be the ones monitoring to see if they can spot them in children on time too. With focus if they build on it that child will be great no doubt.

Look at people who achieve major stuff in modern computer technologies I the world today, many did their magic before hitting their 30's. It's happening because they started very early.

Over 80% of schools in Nigeria don't have a standard computer lab/room, children with affinity to developing thunderstorms on computers can't shine if they don't go to the right schools.

1 Like

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by CaraJewel(f): 9:25am On Jul 11, 2016
mankan2k7:
myself chose to be what I eventually became. Team mls
sorry pls how is mls as a course...fun? Tough? Easy and difficult? irritating? boring?
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by CaraJewel(f): 9:35am On Jul 11, 2016
mankan2k7:
myself chose to be what I eventually became. Team mls
sorry again..but does it require chem through d whole 5yrs..tnx
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by 0ubenji(m): 9:43am On Jul 11, 2016
The illusion of Oyel Moni
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by Nobody: 9:46am On Jul 11, 2016
my mum,my guardian and counseling mistress,jamb,post-jamb and UNN.

I wanted to go to art class then study law but my mum and my school guardian and counseling mistress refused....I went to science class, choose medicine but jamb,Post jamb and UNN(may God 4give UNN) refused.....now soil science is my choice and am in love with it
Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by krak101(m): 9:46am On Jul 11, 2016
I always wanted to be an engineer, at least I fancied the idea as a child. Fast forward to SS3 and I was still on track as I was in the sciences and doing well. Everything changed the day Mr Sam my Economics teacher entered my class and the first sentence he dropped "Economics is not miserliness" hit me like a nuclear piece grin. Now Mr Sam was a no nonsense kinda guy and I realised despite my previous hate for him dude still commanded my attention. That was it. I filled economics economics economics in my JAMB form. Till today some of my guys still don't believe I left Engineering for Economics. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? by oseiwe(m): 10:24am On Jul 11, 2016
The love of being in control like a godfather, led me into electromechanics, i love control rooms but money no dey sad

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kogi: Children Of ‘big Men’ Among 18,471 Ghost Workers‎ – Report / The New Nigeria Local Content Joint Qualification Website: What Is In It For Me? / Benefits Of Modern Office Design To Nigerian Employees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.