Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,224 members, 7,815,279 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

First Time Experience With A Bat. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / First Time Experience With A Bat. (3231 Views)

"I Was Shocked When I Got To My Husband's House The First Time" - Lady Reveals / 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn / Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 07, 2016
MY ENCOUNTER WITH A BAT:
Came home tired and went to rest but not after having a cold tea(hot weather) and feeding my dog.
Woke up to the sound of heavy rain. Went to the back door to see my dog in the rain not knowing if I should be angry or not at her for repeatedly refusing to take cover during bad weather in her house since I expelled her male companion.
We watched ourselves for a while before I decided she should be left in the rain but as i turned to go I felt pity for her and decided to let her into the house after which I proceeded to the kitchen to look for something to eat having not had anything since morning.
I made semovita for myself and started boiling some eggs for the dog.
As i stood there I started ruminating over the events of the last 48hours and all I heard about the evil sides of the type of bat hunting me in my own house.
I don't believe in superstition but for a renowned surgeon to have mentioned that was a cause for concern. My mind can't be more scientific than his yet he had that in his mind. He concluded by telling me what every other person had said.
Kill it!.
Still thinking, it occurred to me the bat may've actually attacked me that night. It entered the kitchen with me, perched beside the electric stove, facing me.
I was scared and tried sneaking out of the kitchen with my dog food while keeping an eye on him but as I approached the kitchen door the bat flew across the kitchen towards my head. I raised the dog food in self defence as I tripped at the door and nearly fell.
If the plate of dog food wasn't handy I would've been forced to use my bare hands which would either have resulted in a bite, scratch, or both.
That is all it takes to cost a man his life if the bat is carrying any of the viruses it's known for.
Three days earlier I knew little about bats but the moment I was faced with one, I did myself some good in retiring to my room to quickly learn all I could about bats the moment i shut the kitchen door with the bat trapped inside. That was when I realized the danger i was facing yet was happy to know shutting it inside the kitchen was the first step. I then took the next right step by opening an escape route for it to leave my house but the bat never left.
As the eggs boiled. I realized I was supposed to time it if I must avoid getting them overcooked and cracking inside the pot. The wall clock in my kitchen wasn't working anymore so I had to use the one in the parlour as I used to.
I then went to the parlour to take a glance at the time.
As I parted the double curtains that separates the parlour from the passage I saw something flying round in circles in the parlour. Didn't need a soothsayer to tell me what it was.
I ran back and started switching off all the lights i could reach. Before retreating to the safety of my room to think of a plan.
Somehow I was glad the bat emerged from it's hiding and it seemed to me it's looking for an exit route.
I knew I had to open my main door to let it out but how do I do that without being confronted by the creature?.
However i got dressed for the job. Wore my tracksuit, boots, gloves, and used a T-shirt as hood.
I then stepped out to the passage from where I stood observing the flying mammal under the cover of the curtains that separates parlour from the passage. There was practically no way I could reach the main door without exposing myself to an attack.
I went back to open the back door as It's possible exit route since I couldn't reach the main door but as I returned to watch, it dawned on me the bat has periods of rest. So I watched and waited for its next resting phase.
After a long wait the bat perched for a rest so I seized the opportunity to rush to open the main door.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nova15: 7:18pm On Jul 07, 2016
All these for just a bat.......

Which u can kill with just a broom....

Pusssy undecided undecided angry angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jul 07, 2016
Was so glad I was able to open the main door before it resumed it's flight. I quickly rushed out as it approached my direction.
From studies the bat has just been given what it had wanted. Not just a window but a whole big opened door for it to return to the wild. Not even a door but two cos the back one was still very wide open though my dog is at the passage, probably oblivious of what was really happening under her watch and wondering the kind of very strange and dirty game i was playing. Dressed in the stupid costume she warned me the other night not to ever wear again.
I could remember the anger in her look the first time she saw me dressed that way the other night. She seemed to be asking if I had forgotten she was a dog to have dressed like the worst kind of thief in the middle of the night.
So I stood out there and waited for ages but the bat seemed to be enjoying it's flight.
My God!, this creature was supposed to leave within just a few minutes as scientists had put it. I decided to switch off the light in my parlour which I eventually did by closing the smaller halves of my door and slipping my hand in to reach the switch.
After this I waited for God knows how long but the bat refused to go away. So many times it came to the door and even perched at the edges briefly before continuing in its flight round and round in my parlour.
After a very long wait it became clear the bat had no plans of leaving.
In fact it now seemed it was more interested in keeping me out of the house because each time I came close to the door, it shows up at the same time, sending me running backwards.
I was frustrated and started evaluating my chances of success in a violent confrontation with the flying creature. The chances the bat could be harbouring any of the deadly virus i feared are slim but I mustn't bank on that because it might well be the single one out of a hundred bats carrying any of the dreaded killer diseases for which they are known. I thought of what I could use in the fight but everything was inside the house and the bat had no plans of letting me in.
The best I can do is to sprint across the parlour into the passage when it perches to rest and that was how I got in to arm myself with a broom and shovel. The parlour was dark and their is no way I could fight it in darkness. It will have the upper hand with an active ultrasonic transmitter organ. The best thing was to switch the lights back on. I ran out with the same strategy I used to enter the house, slipped my hands in to switch on the lights and ran back into the house at the next opportunity.
I stayed at the passage to practise with my improvised weapons for some quick fighting skills and strategy.
Decided the shovel was a bit heavy so I dropped that.
If I could get a strong enough hit with the broom the bat will be grounded and i'll quickly grab the shovel to finish it off.
I parted the curtains slightly just enough to be able to watch for the best time to strike.
The time came and I swooped my broom at it but missed.
The bat started flying with greater speed. I then knew I was in the middle of a very perilous battle!. Just one bite or a scratch is all it needed to send me to my ancestors whereas I needed a very powerful hit at close range to end the aerial battle and convert it to a ground war I was better prepared for.
I was shocked to realize the bat could actually take off from the ground when it touched the ground and lifted back into the air. Only very few bats could do this going by what I read. Realizing this increased my misery.
Anyway the battle is on and no time for regrets.
I took a second swoop yet missed again except that this time the curtains I was holding for cover betrayed me. They pulled off their hooks and fell to the ground, leaving me exposed to the bats counter attack.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 07, 2016
I knew I was in grave danger and had to come up with another strategy if i must avoid been bitten.
If this bat ever could leave, it should've by this time seeing that I was fighting it but it didn't seem to be scared of getting hurt.
Maybe if it gets quite uncomfortable it could use the door that was still very much wide open to escape.
I sent my dog out of the passage and retreated into my room to get a big can of baygon insecticide. Returned to the arena with it and started spraying it at the bat. I noticed a great reduction in its flight speed as the spray filled the parlour.
I did this in the hope the bat will fly out through the door in the face of such adverse conditions but leaving my house was not in it's agenda.
The spray was now so thick in the air but I didn't care of any health risks it posed but continued spraying at it knowing that before it kills me, it do kill the bat first.
At a point the bat could barely fly but rather than use the door it went to perch behind the supporting beam of the curtains leading to the outside.
Now faced with a weakened enemy I moved courageously closer to continue spraying the insecticide directly at where it perched. The bat neither flew out or dropped to the ground but rather started making some high pitched noise.
The insecticide soon got exhausted so I had to quickly devise a plan 'C' before the fight turns against me.
I went for another insecticide popularly known as sniper. Used a 5ml syringe to draw out some of its contents. Approached the bat spot and launched another wave of attack at it.
This one made it launch out again into the air but leaving the house through the exit route that had been begging for use all along was never to be considered. It flew round and headed towards me. I was simply a sitting duck by this time.
Luckily I still had the broom in my hand but hell, I've got only one chance before the event of a story that touches the heart.
I had already missed on two previous attempts. One more of those ill fated attempts and 'my name will be sorry'.
I got ready as the bat approached me. Held the broom tighter than ever, steadied my hand and held my breath. No where to run or hide this time from the menacing creature.
I made the best use of my chance as I swooped at it with all the strength I had.
Like in previous attempts, I missed my target!. The bat was too smart for that.

3 Likes

Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 07, 2016
Somehow, the edges of the broom got it. That was what saved me.
For me victory was at hand as I saw the bat fall in front of one of the speakers of my home theatre.
For the first time I felt there was no need hoping the creature will escape. The battle was as good as won so I quickly shut my doors.
It was still lying in front of the speaker when I went to draw more sniper but by the time I returned the bat was no where in sight.
The light in the parlour was on but I used my touch to search diligently for the creature for several minutes to no avail. I nudged at a few things but it happened the bat may've bagged a masters degree in the art of hiding.
Refusing to entertain thoughts of any sudden mysterious disappearance I started disconnecting the speakers from my home theatre and every plug from every socket.
I then proceeded to knocking over everything in the parlour except, of course, for my flat screen cos its warranty does not cover for a broken screen. Last time I took it to the Samsung office, they had to order for the part from Samsung-Korea which took days to arrive.
It wasn't till I knocked over my relatively heavy 5kva stabilizer that the degraded bat emerged.
Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't copying the APC by using that word degrade.
My own was the "original" type of degrading and coming from me and not Lai Mohammed.
The bat may've hoped I won't spot it but it must've realized how very wrong it was when my syringe peed on it. Hope you got that, I wee-weed on it with my 5ml syringe, releasing its toxic contents all over it.
This was my moment of triumph!!.
I then walked like Obama to get my short shovel and returned with it like Donald Trump.
I watched the bat for a while as the shovel hung over it. It moved with great difficulty and I was able to see the weapons it never used in our battle.
Its teeth were as sharp as I read about but worst of all were its very sharp and curved needle-like claws.
Oh my God!!. Those could have ripped my skin like razor.
It probably wouldn't live to see another day even if I decide not to spill its vampire blood with my shovel.
Yes, vampire blood!. Didn't have fruits in the house but it refused to go hunt for fruits and didn't have insects anywhere yet it wouldn't go look for insects to eat. Then it must be a vampire because all I had was the blood that runs in my veins.
Eventually I dropped the shovel once and by the second time I could see a brightly colored red substance oozing out from it which I learnt in elementary school must be called blood. At the end of such ugly encounter blood must be spilt to consider it a bloody battle but luckily it wasn't the blood of both parties that stained the floor but that of the aggressor.
This blood that's this red must be handled with care so I went to get the chlorine-water I use for disinfection to spray at the red substance.
The rest of the story is unimportant.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 07, 2016
Nova15:

Didn't know it could be that easy. Experience breeds courage. It was my first time.

2 Likes

Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Sleekbaby(f): 8:08pm On Jul 07, 2016
You are a great writer.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by dacovajnr: 8:38pm On Jul 07, 2016
Narrative Essay @ it peak cry All these for bat? shocked

2 Likes

Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by MizMyColi(f): 11:31pm On Jul 07, 2016
For more interesting gist,

Visit www.mybatstory.com

1 Like

Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by EfemenaXY: 12:26am On Jul 08, 2016
Wow! Nice one @op.

Very few stories I read on here (less than 1%) pique my interest in the slightest but yours...got me hooked from the word go. Beautiful and skilfully crafted piece of work.

Well done smiley

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Julietcutie(f): 4:23am On Jul 08, 2016
I loved it.... nice narrative skills. those calling him a kitty cat and other stuff can you kill a bat

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by byvan03: 6:51am On Jul 08, 2016
Lol! It's easier to accept this as a good work of fiction. You expected the bat to wait so you can draw a syringe of sniper? cheesy. Funny OP smiley.

3 Likes

Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 2:24am On Sep 15, 2016
Sleekbaby:
You are a great writer.
Thanks sleeky.
Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 2:55am On Sep 15, 2016
Julietcutie:
I loved it.... nice narrative skills. those calling him a kitty cat and other stuff can you kill a bat
Thanks Cutie.
Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 3:07am On Sep 15, 2016
EfemenaXY:
Wow! Nice one @op.

Very few stories I read on here (less than 1%) pique my interest in the slightest but yours...got me hooked from the word go. Beautiful and skilfully crafted piece of work.

Well done smiley
Thanks dear.
Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by ahnie: 1:53pm On Sep 15, 2016
dacovajnr:
Narrative Essay @ it peak cry All these for bat? shocked

Ah dey tell you!

1 Like

Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 9:08am On Oct 29, 2016
Bat that you will kill with broom and flush down the WC.
Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by NevetsIbot(m): 11:04am On Oct 29, 2016
bat that I'll be the one chasing it around the house with a broom. Abeg op... Yu too dey fear

1 Like

Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Collenshy2020(m): 11:25am On Oct 29, 2016
Nice piece, hopefully you should consider writing a movie script.
Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by bjbukzy(m): 10:18pm On Oct 31, 2016
Amusaopeyemi:
Bat that you will kill with broom and flush down the WC.
Lol.....since u don't believe in sky daddy pls do ogun owo n epp me :-P
Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 16, 2017
Nova15:

I suppose you didn't read before commenting. That was bad. Typical of some Nigerians.
Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jan 16, 2017
You have good narrative skills OP, as I was reading through I could picture everything in my mind's eye, you with your broom and insecticide and the stubborn bat angrily fighting back. Lmao grin

i remembered one of my coworkers that had to fight a bat that invaded her house, just like it invaded yours. She woke up at night to see the bat in her sitting room curtain rail and ran out to wake the security man to shoot it with his gun. The man killed the thing with a stick and burnt the body in front of her house. The next day she came to work to announce to all of us that her enemies came in the form of bat to attck her last night.
Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 2:40am On Jan 17, 2017
fellis:
You have good narrative skills OP, as I was reading through I could picture everything in my mind's eye, you with your broom and insecticide and the stubborn bat angrily fighting back. Lmao grin

i remembered one of my coworkers that had to fight a bat that invaded her house, just like it invaded yours. She woke up at night to see the bat in her sitting room curtain rail and ran out to wake the security man to shoot it with his gun. The man killed the thing with a stick and burnt the body in front of her house. The next day she came to work to announce to all of us that her enemies came in the form of bat to attck her last night.
Hahaha
Good thing her security man got it killed. There has been reports of attacking bats recently and most of us are not aware of how really deadly these bats could be. For instance if not for the recent outbreak of the ebola virus, not many in this part of the world knew they harbour a disease of such deadly magnitude.

1 Like

Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 1:22pm On Feb 11, 2017
That Bat really dealt with you. It may've lost but it accomplished far more than an ordinary bat could've.
Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Feb 11, 2017
Sincere4u, you are so gifted in writing that i feel you'll be the one to write my Biography.
Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 1:26pm On Feb 11, 2017
Sincere4u, you are so gifted in writing that i feel you'll be the one to write my Biography.
Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 3:24pm On Feb 11, 2017
thornapple:
Till then, but i know you are equally as good so stop the flattery. wink
Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 3:26pm On Feb 11, 2017
thornapple:
That Bat really dealt with you. It may've lost but it accomplished far more than an ordinary bat could've.
Yes, it accomplished so much probably cos it wasn't ordinary.
This one was an ATTACKING BAT.
Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 4:31pm On Feb 11, 2017
Sincere4u:

Till then, but i know you are equally as good so stop the flattery. wink
Wasn't flattery.
Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 4:34pm On Feb 11, 2017
fellis:

You've also got good comprehensive skills that makes for an excellent reader.
How does it feel like living a lucky life?.
Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 4:36pm On Feb 11, 2017
Nova15:

That was an attacking bat, not the usual.
Re: First Time Experience With A Bat. by Nobody: 4:37pm On Feb 11, 2017
NevetsIbot:
bat that I'll be the one chasing it around the house with a broom. Abeg op... Yu too dey fear
Lol,maybe one day you'll see the one chasing you around the room like the OP experienced.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Wonders Of Twins (photos) / Money Heist: Is It Possible To Love With Your Head Fully? / I'm In Love With An 'ada'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.