Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,629 members, 7,813,080 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:34 AM

Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt (2725 Views)

My Incarceration, Failed Presidential Bids Taught Me Lessons –buhari / Nigeia Has Finished Me Rejoinder / Nigeria has finished me!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by tomquest: 11:49am On Jul 08, 2016
The original thread was really heart wrenching, plain, truthful, honest, and touching. I started with the thread on ghost mode, the writer was writing in pidgin and flowing really naturally in his Lamentations of the sufferings unemployed youths are facing in present day Naija.

Then suddenly someone in the thread offered to give out some tokens to our suffering youths. That was almost novel but several other persons later joined him in the kind gestures

So what can we learn from that thread that has hit over 62 pages as I type?

1) Nigerians are kind people
2) Nigerians are loving
3) Nigeria can be a very great place
4) there is hope for the future no matter what you are going through now
5) our problem is not the other tribe, religion or region. Our problem is greedy leaders
6) love cuts across religion and tribe
7) your brother is not necessarily that person tied to you by blood
8 we must unite in love and stop abusing each other because of politicians and their devilish political parties
9) many Nigerians help because they CARE; not because of what they can get from you, like we see with the politicians
10) youths can come together to face their common enemy: BAD LEADERSHIP

God bless those givers and may those youths in need never lack again. May God provide them with the jobs and breakthrough they enerstly seek, amen!

POSTSCRIPT:

I sometimes laugh when I hear some people call for revolution. It simply shows that there can never be any revolution. It's like living in a dirty house with 9 other nonchalant people and then expecting that one day SOMEONE would tidy up the whole place. But in reality SOMEONE doesn't exist. No body bears that name. Nobody wants to bell the cat.

Everybody wakes up in the morning hoping that SOMEONE would revolt. We've lived with that pseudo hope since 1960. This is 2016 and we are still expecting that heroic SOMEONE to revolt. In Egypt, a guy set himself ablaze and that was how the whole country shook in it's foundations. But here in Nigeria, give a hungry man 5k and we buy more time for looters and polithiefcians. Even the NDA guys who are trying to make a bold- albeit violent- sociopolitical statement for the ND youths are being stabbed in the back by some other hungry ND youths. So what shape would the revolution take?

The mentality of our youths is pretty much messed up. The way out is to first work on our collective psyche, a kind of fine tuning. Hitler used this tactic before he unleashed his dragons. You can only expect germination in a well fertilized soil. Not on rocks.

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by kingofchess(m): 11:56am On Jul 08, 2016
that was my best thread this year.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by TheNonce: 12:09pm On Jul 08, 2016
grin

The original thread try!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by CACAWA(m): 12:22pm On Jul 08, 2016
Lol
Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by PAINGAIN: 12:27pm On Jul 08, 2016
Nigeria is not getting any better. If you have the opportunity to leave nigeria please leave. Life is better outside nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by eraz4(m): 12:50pm On Jul 08, 2016
Nigeria can be better...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by Maduawuchukwu(m): 1:00pm On Jul 08, 2016
I don't see Nigeria developing at all. Infact Nigerias destiny is likely a break-up or Somalia. I say this because for development to occur, the mentality of the people has to change first of all before manifestations come in the physical. We don't have that modern mindset so we can't have a modern society.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by tomquest: 7:55pm On Jul 08, 2016
kingofchess:
that was my best thread this year.

Lol me too. The guy was just too real and honest. I'm sure he will succeed.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by tomquest: 7:57pm On Jul 08, 2016
Maduawuchukwu:

I don't see Nigeria developing at all. Infact Nigerias destiny is likely a break-up or Somalia. I say this because for development to occur, the mentality of the people has to change first of all before manifestations come in the physical. We don't have that modern mindset so we can't have a modern society.

Obviously we are operating on a faulty foundation but all hope is not lost.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by tomquest: 7:59pm On Jul 08, 2016
PAINGAIN:
Nigeria is not getting any better. If you have the opportunity to leave nigeria please leave. Life is better outside nigeria.

Leaving Nigeria ain't the ultimate solution trust me because I've been out there. When you step outside Nigeria you would know what they mean by "nowhere like home".

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by Johnrake69: 8:04pm On Jul 08, 2016
Nairalanders please we have a thread we are converging to press for immediate changes to the current structure.

https://www.nairaland.com/3213961/youths-occupy-nigeria-2016

Cc:
Tomquest
Paingain
Maduawuchukwu
Eraz4
Cacawa
Thenonce
Kingofchess

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jul 08, 2016
I couldn't sleep after reading through that thread.....i couldn't come to terms with the "e go better" mantra

The best topic so far, and it has actually kick-started the revolution we are talking about

Youths are now talking as the victims of a common enemy---the treacherous politician! No more Ipob, avengers, north, south etc

It's we versus them

Give us back our stolen future or you die!!!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jul 08, 2016
walahi dat thread make sense die.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by Mathemagician1(m): 9:36pm On Jul 08, 2016
On the contrary. What I saw on that thread was a proof of Nigerians narrow mindedness with a crave for quick fix. It was a clear indication that Nigerians are OK with the crumbs they get from the politicians and it shows just how the politicians exploit the people by keeping them in abject poverty and giving them crumbs from time to time whenever they cry for a revolution.

The Op spoke deeply about the insensitivity of the Government to the plight of the people. Kind of like a revolutionary call that normally would ignite fierce anger in our mind. But Nigerians being Nigerians hijacked the thread and turned it into a jamboree. Nothing is taken seriously in this country.

Out of the blue someone offered to donate N5000 to 2 people, another person offered N4000 each to 5 people while someone else offered 50,000 to 10 people and it went on and on like a bonanza, completely defeating the essence of the thread. What fuckery

After these generous donations have been exhausted then what? Does it solve the problem of unemployment the OP talked about? Does it solve the hunger or curb inflation? Is N5000 what Nigerian graduates need to start up a business. Nigerians are truly very narrow minded, majority of the people lack critical thinking skills.

Such a pathetic situation we've found ourselves.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by cocoduck: 10:06pm On Jul 08, 2016
tomquest:

Leaving Nigeria ain't the ultimate solution trust me because I've been out there. When you step outside Nigeria you would know what they mean by "nowhere like home".
stop lying please, I don't live in Nigeria and I don't dream of going back to that hell hole. here there is constant electricity and pipe borne water and cheap food, rent is cheap and it is per month not years as it is in Nigeria so if you went to Somalia, that is not everywhere. Even Cotonou is better than your abuja so bitch please don't make me pee with laughter.
Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by Kellzcold: 10:46pm On Jul 08, 2016
Mathemagician1:
On the contrary. What I saw on that thread was a proof of Nigerians narrow mindedness with a crave for quick fix. It was a clear indication that Nigerians are OK with the crumbs they get from the politicians and it shows just how the politicians exploit the people by keeping them in abject poverty and giving them crumbs from time to time whenever they cry for a revolution.

The Op spoke deeply about the insensitivity of the Government to the plight of the people. Kind of like a revolutionary call that normally would ignite fierce anger in our mind. But Nigerians being Nigerians hijacked the thread and turned it into a jamboree. Nothing is taken seriously in this country.

Out of the blue someone offered to donate N5000 to 2 people, another person offered N4000 each to 5 people while someone else offered 50,000 to 10 people and it went on and on like a bonanza, completely defeating the essence of the thread. What fuckery

After these generous donations have been exhausted then what? Does it solve the problem of unemployment the OP talked about? Does it solve the hunger or curb inflation? Is N5000 what Nigerian graduates need to start up a business. Nigerians are truly very narrow minded, majority of the people lack critical thinking skills.

Exactly. The donations were very good gestures by some people but many now forgot the essence of the thread which is unemployment.
Nigerian leaders are joking with the youths, how can someone stay 5 years without job? The day there is a proper revolutionary riot, no rich looter will be spared.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by tomquest: 11:06pm On Jul 08, 2016
Mathemagician1:

Really pathetic.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by otokx(m): 11:16pm On Jul 08, 2016
Greed driven by poor mentality mixed with zero foresight has been the Nigerian problem.

How long and how far will those handouts go? 1 girl claimed that 5k can help repair her laptop and buy a modem - as Mathemagician1 said what fuckery.

This is how the Aids organizations ended up under developing sub Saharan Africa. People with blogs having their domain rushing 4k.

If you really want to help any Nigerian - give him a job after teaching him a skill e.g. hair barbing, sweeping, etc

Here at Uniport we have student work programs, a lot of the contract cleaners are undergraduates and even some graduates earning 15 - 20k a month, same for the private security guards.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by otokx(m): 11:21pm On Jul 08, 2016
For those calling for a bloody revolution, take note.

it is not all rich men that looted state funds, that thread highlighted the growing deep seated hatred some poor people have for hardworking, law abiding rich people who are totally unaware of the former.

This explains the recent upsurge in crime across Nigeria.

Kidnapping is now quite common up north as it in the south.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jul 08, 2016
Mathemagician1:

One way we the nigerian youths can bring this revolution is through the National Association of Nigerian students (NANS). Since most youths in Nigeria are within the tertiary institutions, the youths through NANS can organise a well cordinated campaign (or protest as the case may be) by linking with the leadership of all higher institutions irrespective of whether private, state or federal accross the country. By this we students can in one piece embark on strike or any other means possible except violence untill all neccessary amendments are made. Believe me if all students are in one direction, the government would have no choice but to grant our desired needs.
Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by omenka(m): 11:56pm On Jul 08, 2016
Mathemagician1:

God bless you a billion times!!!

In fact, I wanted to create a thread on this but just couldn't bring myself to type.

When someone somewhere said the thread has "kick-started the revolution we seek", I was like wtf!! If anything, the thread is an indisputable proof there can NEVER be a popular revolution in this country because of mass poverty and hunger!!

The thread started on a good note, but when some generous folks offered to help, the actual essence of the thread was abandoned and everyone started asking for money!

These were just modest but very kind Nigerians doing good- imagine how much more a politician can dole out to a protesting crowd for them to abandon a course!

We never ready for this country at all at all.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by plendil: 12:37am On Jul 09, 2016
Obviously, most of you contributors are "big men", so its easy come here to pontificate about the of the appropriateness or otherwise of that thread that has become a solicitation platform of sorts.

Having been in such a situation before I know what difference something as seemingly insignificant as 5k can make to a struggling student. Yes the 5k will not feed them forever, but it will achieve something. Start with that little one first, and let them handle what happens tomorrow. . .tomorrow.

Youngmudulus and co should be commended for the very kind gesture they have displayed. They are true Nigerian heros, not the APC vs PDP, my-tribe-is-better-than-yours noise makers that litter the boards.

HOWEVER, though I was tempted to give my own contribution, I have held back. The reason is that I did a quick check of the post history of those dropping acc numbers and was not impressed with some of the comments I saw. There are of course genuine ones, and I wish there was a way one could verify those individuals that are truly in need, particularly students.

I do agree that with 91 posts and counting, the thread is sad and very disturbing portrayal of the plight of the youths in the country. sad

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by Nobody: 2:23am On Jul 09, 2016
plendil:
Obviously, most of you contributors are "big men", so its easy come here to pontificate about the of the appropriateness or otherwise of that thread that has become a solicitation platform of sorts.

Having been in such a situation before I know what difference something as seemingly insignificant as 5k can make to a struggling student. Yes the 5k will not feed them forever, but it will achieve something. Start with that little one first, and let them handle what happens tomorrow. . .tomorrow.

Youngmudulus and co should be commended for the very kind gesture they have displayed. They are true Nigerian heros, not the APC vs PDP, my-tribe-is-better-than-yours noise makers that litter the boards.

HOWEVER, though I was tempted to give my own contribution, I have held back. The reason is that I did a quick check of the post history of those dropping acc numbers and was not impressed with some of the comments I saw. There are of course genuine ones, and I wish there was a way one could verify those individuals that are truly in need, particularly students.

I do agree that with 91 posts and counting, the thread is sad and very disturbing portrayal of the plight of the youths in the country. sad

pls sir,
If it touches you to help someone don't start looking at the persons history bcs no one is a scent.
Do it bcs of humanity

most of those that engage in tribal remarks, if you check very well it's mainly out of frustration and idleness which they have found themselves,

therefore, trying to blame whoever that disagrees with them as a result of bad leadership and a failing system.

someone who got a job immediately after graduation from school would likely not to involve in tribal wars with someone els

so giving is something of free spirit and not by merit as you wants to portray it

unfortunately I'm not in the country as i would've try my own best in that regard

thank u

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by Nobody: 2:47am On Jul 09, 2016
tomquest:

"no where like home"

it was before and not now....you can only come and visit your families...order wise

No electricity'
No pipe borne water
No good roads
mosquitoes everywhere
fear of being kidnapped
Every day killing here and there.... O boy!!

life in nija is so cruel and frustrating

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by otokx(m): 6:02am On Jul 09, 2016
muktarimusa:
One way we the nigerian youths can bring this revolution is through the National Association of Nigerian students (NANS). Since most youths in Nigeria are within the tertiary institutions, the youths through NANS can organise a well cordinated campaign (or protest as the case may be) by linking with the leadership of all higher institutions irrespective of whether private, state or federal accross the country. By this we students can in one piece embark on strike or any other means possible except violence untill all neccessary amendments are made. Believe me if all students are in one direction, the government would have no choice but to grant our desired needs.

Its obvious you don't know NANS, their officials are fighting for their belly. NANS that agreed to fuel hike unconditionally leaving NLC stranded. They will lead you to the streets then go behind and collect money and leave you at the mercy of trigger happy police.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by Kellzcold: 7:51am On Jul 09, 2016
otokx:
For those calling for a bloody revolution, take note.

it is not all rich men that looted state funds, that thread highlighted the growing deep seated hatred some poor people have for hardworking, law abiding rich people who are totally unaware of the former.

This explains the recent upsurge in crime across Nigeria.

Kidnapping is now quite common up north as it in the south.
Then the politicians better do something about it, and those rich with influence better talk some sense into the politicians. Because the day there is a proper revolution, with youths who have the guts and energy to go the distance, not even the innocent rich will be spared, because no one will know who stole or not.
Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by Mathemagician1(m): 8:13am On Jul 09, 2016
muktarimusa:

You don't seem to get it, do you? NANS has been compromised, Labour has been compromised, every activist can be compromised in Nigeria. Believe in these organisations at your own peril. Just see what sharing of N5000 did to a revolutionary call. Now imagine how much the politicians can mobilise and share to shut up protesting Nigerians.

You can as well wonder why there can never be a revolution in Nigeria. Nigerians are cheapskates, narrow minded and can be easily distracted. Nigerians in general are self centred, greedy and lacks the ability of foresight. To put it more aptly, Nigerians lack the ability to see beyond today, hence posterity always suffers.

Someone even quoted me to remind me of what N5000 can do in the life of a Nigerian. He insisted that we should worry about today and let tomorrow worry about itself. What fuckery!!

How did I end up in this God forsaken place for Christ sake? Where the rational thinking capability of the people is approaching negative infinity.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by Kellzcold: 8:36am On Jul 09, 2016
Mathemagician1:

You don't seem to get it, do you? NANS have been compromised, Labour has been compromised, every activist can be compromised in Nigeria. Believe in these organisations at your own peril. Just see what sharing of N5000 did to a revolutionary call. Now imagine how much the politicians can mobilise and share to shut up protesting Nigerians.

You can as well wonder why there can never be a revolution in Nigeria. Nigerians are cheapskates, narrow minded and can be easily distracted. Nigerians in general are self centred, greedy and lacks the ability of foresight. To put it more aptly, Nigerians lack the ability to see beyond today, hence posterity always suffers.

Someone even quoted me to remind me of what N5000 can do in the life of a Nigerian. He insisted that we should worry about today and let tomorrow worry about itself.

How did I end up in this God forsaken place for Christ sake? Where the rational thinking capability of the people is approaching negative infinity.
Exactly. 5,000 will finish in 5 days and your back to begging the next person.
This 5000 does not solve the 50% unemployment among youths in Nigeria, this does not remedy the fact that I know a lot of people who have spent 5 years after school without a job, this does not remedy the fact that even ordinary light for people to console themselves is so bad.
That is why we vote in foolish politicians into power. No debates or exclusive explanation from the politician to tell us how he's going to use his position to better our lives, we just vote in who gives us 5,000 and bag of rice. After that money finishes the stupid politician gets power and collects back ten times the money he spent on you from the government.
50% unemployment rate for youths is not a small matter, Kidnapping has already been on the increase in the north due to hardship, very soon violence will become the norm and the targets will be the politicians who we remember their names.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by stanech: 8:44am On Jul 09, 2016
Mathemagician1:

Give this man 5 origin and Isi ewu

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by Yujin(m): 9:30am On Jul 09, 2016
Kellzcold:

Exactly. 5,000 will finish in 5 days and your back to begging the next person.
This 5000 does not solve the 50% unemployment among youths in Nigeria, this does not remedy the fact that I know a lot of people who have spent 5 years after school without a job, this does not remedy the fact that even ordinary light for people to console themselves is so bad.
That is why we vote in foolish politicians into power. No debates or exclusive explanation from the politician to tell us how he's going to use his position to better our lives, we just vote in who gives us 5,000 and bag of rice. After that money finishes the stupid politician gets power and collects back ten times the money he spent on you from the government.
50% unemployment rate for youths is not a small matter, Kidnapping has already been on the increase in the north due to hardship, very soon violence will become the norm and the targets will be the politicians who we remember their names.
A general revolution in this Nigeria is impossible. The present youths are not united and can never be. The reason is not farfetched as its obvious our world view are far apart. For the east, we can go against the criminal politicians among us in less than two weeks of agreement but that cannot be said for the west and north where there's near worship of rulers(politicians). Again, the desires of the three constituents of Nigeria defers. We from the east appreciates monetary gifts in our times of challenges but seek true self sufficiency and will reject the change offered to us if we do not see any sincerity in our leaders giving us opportunity in achieving self sustenance. The same cannot be said of our compatriots from the other regions. Without a uniformity of mindset, no revolution can succeed. True revolution rejects monetary inducements and withstands the brutality of the security personnels which of course would be sent to quash it. Can the present lily livered youths resist the murderous Nigerian Army? Can the hypocrites who chaired the blood loving maniacs of the Nigeria Army on their killing spree of unarmed biafran agitators stand firm when the nozzle is turned their way? I only laugh at those calling for a revolution in this evil Nigeria. You guys can't do nothing. Like others have said, ordinary good gestures from some folks have made a lot of guys forget the goal our the present struggle. How then can you withstand the bucks loaded politicians and the brutal zombies in uniform? Lol. Just continue dying in silence or make a plan and jet out of the hopeless contraption called Nigeria and hope that by the time you will be returning back, that some herdsmen from Libya won't have occupied your ancestral land after sacking your family members. There's no single thing you benefit from Nigeria yet you are here praising one Nigeria. Any entity that does not exist for the benefit of its people does not worth catering for.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by Kellzcold: 9:49am On Jul 09, 2016
Yujin:

A general revolution in this Nigeria is impossible. The present youths are not united and can never be. The reason is not farfetched as its obvious our world view are far apart. For the east, we can go against the criminal politicians among us in less than two weeks of agreement but that cannot be said for the west and north where there's near worship of rulers(politicians). Again, the desires of the three constituents of Nigeria defers. We from the east appreciates monetary gifts in our times of challenges but seek true self sufficiency and will reject the change offered to us if we do not see any sincerity in our leaders giving us opportunity in achieving self sustenance. The same cannot be said of our compatriots from the other regions. Without a uniformity of mindset, no revolution can succeed. True revolution rejects monetary inducements and withstands the brutality of the security personnels which of course would be sent to quash it. Can the present lily livered youths resist the murderous Nigerian Army? Can the hypocrites who chaired the blood loving maniacs of the Nigeria Army on their killing spree of unarmed biafran agitators stand firm when the nozzle is turned their way? I only laugh at those calling for a revolution in this evil Nigeria. You guys can't do nothing. Like others have said, ordinary good gestures from some folks have made a lot of guys forget the goal our the present struggle. How then can you withstand the bucks loaded politicians and the brutal zombies in uniform? Lol. Just continue dying in silence or make a plan and jet out of the hopeless contraption called Nigeria and hope that by the time you will be returning back, that some herdsmen from Libya won't have occupied your ancestral land after sacking your family members. There's no single thing you benefit from Nigeria yet you are here praising one Nigeria. Any entity that does not exist for the benefit of its people does not worth catering for.
Where in my post did I praise Nigeria?
Anyways, I support federalism where the center has less power than the regions. Britain did this with England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland all have autonomy but they are all British. It works smoothly for them and will work for us if we can be educated to know what federalism is about. Breaking away is impossible in this nation without bloodshed which I am strongly against.

Like you said, each regions have their own interests. The north don't care if herdsmen are killing people in Enugu, the north don't care if kidnapping is rampant in the south south, the whole south don't care if bokoharam is disturbing the northeast and so on. This makes it hard for a proper revolution or protest to happen nationwide. But there is now a common problem for all youths in every region, this is unemployment. 50% unemployment means that at this rate, in a few years people will still be in their fathers house at 30. Frustration against the politicians who steal all our wealth and still put their children in power again is bound to set in.
People said revolution is impossible in Tunisia and Egypt but it happened, its very possible in Nigeria. I've never seen frustration on this level from Nigerians as I've been seeing recently.
Re: Nigeria Has Finished Me: Lessons Learnt by Taeewo(m): 9:51am On Jul 09, 2016
Ffg

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbo Supports Akeredolu, Wants Participation In Ondo Govt. / The Yoruba: Understanding But Rejecting Their 2015 Democratic Choice / PHOTO: Buhari Seen On The Street Of London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.