Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,533 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists (39346 Views)

Ronald, 27-Year-Old Nigerian Man Who Has Never Had An Erection Before. Photo / Obituary Of The 23-year-old UNIZIK Student Who Died From Malaria / UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Okesilas15: 9:22pm On Jul 09, 2016
Many People are so daft and nonentitous that what they are interested in is bashing a professional immediately they see a particular headlines.Not knowing if there might be any thing behind such.For the record and enlightenment of the public ,just last week the NUC agreed to add one year to 5years of the training of pharmacist and they will be regarded as Dr (Pharm D).The pofpof doctors don't like it at all and they will be coming for more of this with a view to discouraging the govt.The fact is if we are to be posting here all the prescription errors from doctors ,many here will be scared of going to hospitals and many will require that more than half of them go back to med school and even at that many of them will be given advice to withdraw.These doctors are scared of the pharmacists knowledge and the fact that the new curriculum necessitate that pha

rmacists follow them to wardrounds and thus more of their errors will be
exposed .Even what they cooked up here was a lie and it can only make sense to someone who is not in medical line as my following comment will show.Bring it up and we shall rip it to shred.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by nelszx: 9:30pm On Jul 09, 2016
prolifikVj:

I always wondered if that word "paramedicals" was appropriate. Do you think it is?

A very good question u asked, the mentality of a Nigerian doctor whoever isn't a doctor is a paramedic(al). Are other health workers aside drs "paramedics".
The word paramedic are those proferring emergency services example ambulance service, ambulance drivers, basic life supporters these are paramedics.
In the university, are these people admitted into the College of paramedicine for them to be paramedic(al). Rightly said all are admitted into the college of medicine and not paramedicine.

3 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 09, 2016
Silvofitz:

You mean pharmacists should also clerk their patients before dispensing drugs?
Not clerk, but they some times act as safety net for wrong prescriptions by doctors by asking further questions.

I once had a painful strain in my wrist. I went to the doctor who didn't ask much about my medical history before prescibing a very strong ointment that goes directly to the blood through the skin. I was lucky i took the prescription to where my wife works as a pharm. She didn't correct the prescription, but recommended something milder that still worked. I just kept the prescription till it got midplaced.

Sometimes, wife had cases where she had to call the doctor/hospital that prescribed a drug so that correction can be made.

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by loadedvibes: 9:31pm On Jul 09, 2016
Nigerian you left the main problem and started attacking another
crystalmi:
Who are the paramedicals? Pharmacist are not paramedicals they are professionals. And they work together with doctors as a team. No one is superior to the other, it is just different professional duties.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jul 09, 2016
crystalmi:
Yes, In final year in pharmacy school, Pharmacist undergo a training called clinical clerkship, Where dey spend months in the hospital to clerk patients and identity drug therapy problems Doctors made. Yes Pharmacist are trained to clerk patients.

In our teaching hospital, a foremost teaching hospital in Nigeria, pharmacists dispense drugs as prescribed by the doctors.
No pharmacist changes doctor's prescriptions.
Nurses are better placed to call the attention of the doctor, if any error is perceived on the prescription, because they a privy to the patient's medical history through the case file, and Because they have a booklet called Nursing Process, which contains all the information they collect from the patient by clerking. The Nurses assess, diagnose, set the objective, plan, and implement the treatment, then evaluate the outcome of the treatment. So, by virtue of intimate interaction with patient, they can notice the need for a change in prescription.
In a standard setting, it's the Nurses, not the pharmacists, that often call the attention of doctors to changing prescription. And, even at that, the nurses would not change the prescription on their own. They would call the attention of the Doctor.

2 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Neverquit(f): 9:35pm On Jul 09, 2016
They share the blame equally.

The pharmacist for changing the prescription without asking the necessary questions (e.g. Do you have any allergies etc) and Demilade for the blind trust.

Next time, dear pharmacist, ask before prescribing or changing people's prescription(s). The advice above should also be applied by doctors.

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Naavah(f): 9:35pm On Jul 09, 2016
Okesilas15:
Many People are so daft and nonentitous that what they are interested in is bashing a professional immediately they see a particular headlines.Not knowing if there might be any thing behind such.For the record and enlightenment of the public ,just last week the NUC agreed to add one year to 5years of the training of pharmacist and they will be regarded as Dr (Pharm D).The pofpof doctors don't like it at all and they will be coming for more of this with a view to discouraging the govt.The fact is if we are to be posting here all the prescription errors from doctors ,many here will be scared of going to hospitals and many will require that more than half of them go back to med school and even at that many of them will be given advice to withdraw.These doctors are scared of the pharmacists knowledge and the fact that the new curriculum necessitate that pha

rmacists follow them to wardrounds and thus more of their errors will be
exposed .Even what they cooked up here was a lie and it can only make sense to someone who is not in medical line as my following comment will show.Bring it up and we shall rip it to shred.
200000000likes.

3 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by prolifikVj: 9:37pm On Jul 09, 2016
post=47378221:
Paramedical or paramedics it is correct

Either of the the same. That's besides my point. I mean,do you believe the word usage for other healthcare professionals is appropriate?
N/B: I'm technically not a "paramedic"...following your logic. I'm a doctor. So this is just me being objective...

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 09, 2016
nelszx:

A very good question u asked, the mentality of a Nigerian doctor whoever isn't a doctor is a paramedic(al). Are other health workers aside drs "paramedics".
The word paramedic are those proferring emergency services example ambulance service, ambulance drivers, basic life supporters these are paramedics.
In the university, are these people admitted into the College of paramedicine for them to be paramedic(al). Rightly said all are admitted into the college of medicine and not paramedicine.
Even the so called paramedics are very important. I remember there was a time when i had to rush my son to emergency two times within a week due to high fever . It got so bad at a point that i had to call an ambulance. It was the 2 ambulance paramedics that were able to detect the solution to bringing the fever down. Everyone in the health care profession are highly important and no one should be looked down upon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Cityguy: 9:43pm On Jul 09, 2016
flexshop:

My dear, that is the work of a pharmacy technician to dispense drugs.
A pharmacist can change your prescription if he feels the side effect of the drug outweighs the benefit, he can refuse to fill your prescription if he feels it's out of order or. He can modify it. To suit the. Peculiarity of the patients condition.
No sir. He may refuse to fill or dispense (same really semantics aside) but is ultra vires for him to modify or change the prescription of a doctor. What normal people in sane climes do is revert back to the prescriber who after diligent consideration may take your advice or insist on what he has prescribed. By Sao doing, you have done what you are obligated to do and in case of anything going wrong, you as a pharmacist is thereby covered.

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jul 09, 2016
I don't blame the OP. anyone can come down with drug reaction. If you've given the pharmacists good information about your other co-morbid conditions and past medication history I believe that reaction would have been prevented. pharmacist are not doctors but pharmacist and are good at what they do. You will always need a pharmacists today, tomorrow and always.

7 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Obiochajumbo123: 9:45pm On Jul 09, 2016
Healthcare delivery is a team work and every player is important. A good hospital cleaner should be proud of his or her job designation because he or she shares the responsibilty for every life saved . Unfortunately, we have a system where people are not proud of the parts they play, hence, they encroach on those of others to seek fulfilment.
The art and science of drug prescription is not just about the drug. It is actually more about the patient. Also, a doctor's prescription is not just about the information he gets from listening to the patient, it is also about information he gets by observing and examining the patient and from a lot of investigations. It takes a lot of training to be a doctor and I reckon that is also true for a pharmacist. It would be better if both should strive to be very good at what they do rather than encroach on the responsibilities of the other.

11 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Lisaflex(f): 9:46pm On Jul 09, 2016
thorpido:
There was nothing wrong with what the pharmacist did.If there is no particular drug,the pharmacist can give alternatives.It's what they are trained to do.
The problem was not taking history and the victim here not volunteering such information.

Actually der was smtn wrong wt what d pharmacist did ie he/she did not get d hx of d guy n went on 2 blindly change a doctor's prescription(If he/she was dt gd sef,he/she wld hv known d drug he/she was offering d guy is contraindicated in asthmatic Pxs n wld hv asked d guy if he's an asthmatic)....Yes, a pharmacist may knw all d tiny details abt a drug, bt a Doctor knows d px(after tkin d hx) n also has basic knowledge of drugs...In addition,u can't blame d guy for not offering dt info because if he isn't medically inclined, der's no way in hell he'll knw wot info wld be relevant(Wen tkin hx,d doctor asks d relevant questions).....2 avoid stories dt touch,if a pharmacist sees a prescription he/she has a prob wt,he/she shldnt jes change it,rather he shld reach out 2 d doctor n hear from him/her cos he/she myt hv a reason for choosing dt drug n if d doctor was actually wrong for choosing dt drug,he'll tk correction n change it

3 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by theuniqueone(m): 9:47pm On Jul 09, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:

another quack sited

I am now a quack for insisting on verifying my own prescription. I have never seen an MD claiming to be a pharmacist but most pharmacists surreptitiously claim to doctors. I don't know who the quacks are?

3 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 09, 2016
princey83:

Not clerk, but they some times act as safety net for wrong prescriptions by doctors by asking further questions.

I once had a painful strain in my wrist. I went to the doctor who didn't ask much about my medical history before prescibing a very strong ointment that goes directly to the blood through the skin. I was lucky i took the prescription to where my wife works as a pharm. She didn't correct the prescription, but recommended something milder that still worked. i eventually threw the doctors prescription in the thrash.

Sometimes, wife had cases where she had to call the doctor/hospital that prescribed a drug so that correction can be made. This is in a developed country where everyone work as a team.

In our teaching hospital, a foremost teaching hospital in Nigeria, pharmacists dispense drugs as prescribed by the doctors.
Nurses are better placed to call the attention of the doctor, if any error is perceived on the prescription, because they a privy to the patient's medical history through the case file, and Because they have a booklet called Nursing Process, which contains all the information they collect from the patient by clerking. The Nurses assess, diagnose, set the objective, plan, and implement the treatment, then evaluate the outcome of the treatment. So, by virtue of intimate interaction with patients, they can notice the need for a change in prescription.
In a standard setting, it's the Nurses, not the pharmacists, that often call the attention of doctors to changing prescription. And, even at that, the nurses would not change the prescription on their own. They would call the attention of the Doctor.
In developing country, Nigeria, doctors take exhaustive medical history before making any prescription.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by loadedvibes: 9:48pm On Jul 09, 2016
Oh I get you now. I believe under the hospital setting all other medical professions are paramedics..Reason been that they render assist to the medical doctor.
prolifikVj:

Either of the the same. That's besides my point. I mean,do you believe the word usage for other healthcare professionals is appropriate?
N/B: I'm technically not a "paramedic"...following your logic. I'm a doctor. So this is just me being objective...
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by nelszx: 9:49pm On Jul 09, 2016
princey83:

Even the so called paramedics are very important. I remember there was a time when i had to rush my son to emergency two times within a week due to high fever . It got so bad at a point that i had to call an ambulance. It was the 2 ambulance paramedics that were able to detect the solution to bringing the fever down. Everyone in the health care profession are highly important and no one should be looked down upon.

Of course they are as important as doctors and other professionals just that dese guys fail to realise not every professional is a paramedic. The physiotherapists, pharmacists, Medical laboratory scientists, radiographers are not paramedics neither are they paramedical

3 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Xionez(m): 9:51pm On Jul 09, 2016
The Pharmacist HAD NO RIGHT to change the prescription without duly consulting with the patient and the Prescriber (preferably a licensed doctor).

Every Pharmacists knows that interaction is key. You try and interact with the patient to know if his situation is 'reoccurring' (indicating a possible long time experience with the prescribed drug), how long he has been on it (indicating how well the disease condition is being managed), possible side effects and a host of other tiny questions. Patients who are Diabetics, Asthmatics, those sensitive to sulfa drugs etc. have an unbelievable more experience in managing a condition than most healthcare providers.

If same further inquiries were made by the Pharmacist, it would have led him to discover that the patient was asthmatic. Complications avoided.

What kind of quack Pharmacist is that who intends on pushing sales than practicing a patient oriented pharmacy.

Just gave the profession a bad name.

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by thorpido(m): 9:52pm On Jul 09, 2016
Silvofitz:

You mean pharmacists should also clerk their patients before dispensing drugs?
You can ask for relevant info before dispensing drugs.

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Okesilas15: 9:53pm On Jul 09, 2016
Coming to the main stupid allegation presented here.If a doctor prescribe for instance tab lofnac as diclofenac and I don't have lofnac but I have cataflam which is also diclofenac but effectively better in efficacy and release rate.Now the secret is most doctors will insist on the brand because they have collected money from the company that produce that particular brand.Instead of them to prescribe the drugs as eg Tab diclofenac 50mg ,and then the pharmacist dispense any good brand available.They choose to prescribe a particular brand known to them cos they have been tipped off.Now there are over 1000 different brands of diclofenac and you can't expect anyone to stock everything but pharmacist due to their knowledge of the integrity of many of the companies that manufacture diclofenac advice, educate and inform a patient to choose from other brands since he knew that he only stock exclusively better and effective brands since he uses his money to stock them unlike a doctor who has been bribed to prescribe rigidly a single brand.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by basadenet: 9:55pm On Jul 09, 2016
Thank God for sparing your life. It is true that most chemistry shops has turned to consulting clinics or hospitals, they prescribed drugs to people' any how and many times one is forced to buy what you don't bargain for. It is time Government do something before it Boomerang.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by nelszx: 9:55pm On Jul 09, 2016
post=47379485:
Oh I get you now. I believe under the hospital setting all other medical professions are paramedics..Reason been that they render assist to the medical doctor.

Will you keep quiet......... "In Patience Jonathan's voice"
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jul 09, 2016
Silvofitz:

Nurses are better placed to call the attention of the doctor, if any error is perceived on the prescription, because they a privy to the patient's medical history through the case file, and Because they have a booklet called Nursing Process, which contains all the information they collect from the patient by clerking. The Nurses assess, diagnose, set the objective, plan, and implement the treatment, then evaluate the outcome of the treatment. So, by virtue of intimate interaction with patients, they can notice the need for a change in prescription.
In developing country, Nigeria, doctors take exhaustive medical history before making any prescription.
Pharms do not change prescription anywhere in the world, but they act as safety net when doctors make wrong prescriptions by calling the attention of the doctor/clinic to errors.

2 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by loadedvibes: 9:57pm On Jul 09, 2016
[Lol what have I done ? quote author=nelszx post=47379684]

Will you keep quiet......... "In Patience Jonathan's voice"[/quote]
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by thorpido(m): 9:57pm On Jul 09, 2016
pedrilo:
u r a quack pharmacist! U do not have the right to change the prescriptions given by a doctor. #never! Like d guy said, u r to do wat u've bn instructed or directed to do! YOU ARE NOT DOCTORS
Do what who instructed here?

I'm not a pharmacist.

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Clairvoyant(m): 9:57pm On Jul 09, 2016
weblord1900:
mind you that some pharmacists are better than some doctors
I Dey laff you.... don't bring that crap here angry
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 09, 2016
Silvofitz:

Nurses are better placed to call the attention of the doctor, if any error is perceived on the prescription, because they a privy to the patient's medical history through the case file, and Because they have a booklet called Nursing Process, which contains all the information they collect from the patient by clerking. The Nurses assess, diagnose, set the objective, plan, and implement the treatment, then evaluate the outcome of the treatment. So, by virtue of intimate interaction with patient, they can notice the need for a change in prescription.
I challenge you to call the name of the teaching hospital whee you practice. It's now about you comparing nurses to pharmacists. have you ever heard about pharmaceutical care? that's the in thing in the world and Nigeria is not being left behind not to talk about the unit dose systems of dispensing. stop being stupid be you a doctor or a nurse. so a nurse knows more about drugs and can identify medication errors and potential dangerous medication interaction better than the pharmacist?
I will never fill a prescription I noticed any form of error and I don't call the nurses attention. lf i noticed a problem on a prescription, I alert the GP and if he insist i fill such, I don't cos I can be sued for negligence by my patient. stop misinforming the public. you are probably scared about the knowledge the pharmacists has.
i pity your generation of professionals.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by loadedvibes: 10:00pm On Jul 09, 2016
what is this one saying ?? There are pharmacist doctors .. and I don't believe anybody is claming to be a doctor
theuniqueone:

I am now a quack for insisting on verifying my own prescription. I have never seen an MD claiming to be a pharmacist but most pharmacists surreptitiously claim to doctors. I don't know who the quacks are?

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Yonce(f): 10:01pm On Jul 09, 2016
Teespice:

they not only prescribe, they dispense drugs.

Changing a prescription without the said doctor's knowledge is wrong. He shouldn't have done that

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by dokiOloye(m): 10:01pm On Jul 09, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:
Get out of here! Are you saying there's no collaborative practice between your pharmacist and your doctor? pharmacists produce the drug your doctor prescribe for you so don't react as if they no nothing. who knows maybe you visited a patent medicine dealer. pharmacists know lots about medications than your doctors. No pharmacist will ever give you a drug you'll adversely to because they know so well about drug reactions.
Before you take any drug make sure you talk to the pharmacist. They are the best resource you can ever get on drugs.

This should not turn to pharmacists vs others bashing thread though!
A pharmacist can NEVER know abt d side efx of drugs more than doctors cos they have little or no contact wt d patient.

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by nelszx: 10:02pm On Jul 09, 2016
post=47379730][Lol what have I done ? quote author=nelszx:

Will you keep quiet......... "In Patience Jonathan's voice"

You have done nothing .... In the hospital they are not called paramedics but collectively they are called Healthcare professionals (Doctors inclusive)
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Okesilas15: 10:02pm On Jul 09, 2016
Silvofitz:

Your knowledge of hospital set up seems to be very limited if you have any.Nobody calls the attention of the doctors to prescription other than pharmacists.They question and validate prescription before dispensing.Nurses call the attention of doctors to prescription errors out of their initiatives not out of responsibility.It is exclusively the responsibility of a pharmacist.That is the reasons why doctors love nurses than pharmacists in the hospital.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Hallitosis(Mouth Odour) Has Finished Me; Pls Help A Brother / Female Uniben Student Goes Mad In Lagos, Strips Unclad, Dances On Expressway(pic / 13-Year-Old Pregnant Akwa Ibom Girl To Undergo Caesarean Operation (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.