Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists (39351 Views)

Ronald, 27-Year-Old Nigerian Man Who Has Never Had An Erection Before. Photo / Obituary Of The 23-year-old UNIZIK Student Who Died From Malaria / UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by thorpido(m): 10:04pm On Jul 09, 2016
Lisaflex:

Actually der was smtn wrong wt what d pharmacist did ie he/she did not get d hx of d guy n went on 2 blindly change a doctor's prescription(If he/she was dt gd sef,he/she wld hv known d drug he/she was offering d guy is contraindicated in asthmatic Pxs n wld hv asked d guy if he's an asthmatic)....Yes, a pharmacist may knw all d tiny details abt a drug, bt a Doctor knows d px(after tkin d hx) n also has basic knowledge of drugs...In addition,u can't blame d guy for not offering dt info because if he isn't medically inclined, der's no way in hell he'll knw wot info wld be relevant(Wen tkin hx,d doctor asks d relevant questions).....2 avoid stories dt touch,if a pharmacist sees a prescription he/she has a prob wt,he/she shldnt jes change it,rather he shld reach out 2 d doctor n hear from him/her cos he/she myt hv a reason for choosing dt drug n if d doctor was actually wrong for choosing dt drug,he'll tk correction n change it
There was no way the pharmacist would have known if the drug was contraindicated in his case.Like I said,a good pharmacist should ask questions but can offer alternatives to drugs.
In a teaching or hospital setting,the pharmacist can get back to the doctor but I don't think the guy here got the drugs from an in-house pharmacy.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Cityguy: 10:04pm On Jul 09, 2016
ogawisdom:
Na MLS guys dey prescribe drug for patients more n they will discourage you from going to see a doctor although na for common illnesses grin once ur lab results come out na so them dey give u prescription, saying they kw more than doctors grin

Once u treat patients for naija u b doctor whether pharmacist, MLS, nurse, patent medicine dealer or herbalist grin
MLS own better na. What of my cousin wey go do health inspector for health tech? Na doctor him be for Lagos na. He even get hospital sef with many people patronising him. If he cook your own and e no done, na your wahala be that na.

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by loadedvibes: 10:04pm On Jul 09, 2016
English problem
nelszx:

You have done nothing .... In the hospital they are not called paramedics but collectively they are called Healthcare professionals (Doctors inclusive)
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by segnad88: 10:07pm On Jul 09, 2016
hmmm.... well ur statement is very funny. if the pharmacist as you have said gave you a better medicine it would still be of the same generic but d brand would definitely be different. he or she won't give you another generic from what you used to take. pharmacist are the ones you trust more when it comes to medications. what drug do u normally take and which was given to you??

2 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by mrintellectual(m): 10:08pm On Jul 09, 2016
Let me educate you guys.

What the pharmacist did was not wrong per se. He can advice on the use of an alternative drug. For instance, drug A is a Sulfadoxine and Pyrimetamine combination, but presently, that brand is under check, or not available. But drug B, of similar combination is available. He may advise you to go for drug B. He was so trained. The fault with the health system is that we seldom take people's health history seriously. If the pharmist had known his health history, he would not have made that fatal mistake.
So, judging by this, he is wrong.

If you are advised contrary to your doctor's prescription, PLEASE, speak to your doctor FIRST, before taking any medication. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

However to those so ignorant of the functions of a pharmacist, I have the following for you, from the website of the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia

http://www.psa.org.au/about/pharmacy-as-a-career/what-pharmacists-do-and-where-they-work

Pharmacy is not just about filling prescriptions. It is about promoting health awareness and contributing to the betterment of the community.

Pharmacists may:
*.prepare or supervise the dispensing of medicines, ointments and tablets
*.advise patients on how their medicines are to be taken or used in the safest and most effective way in the treatment of common ailments
*.advise members of the public and other health professionals about medicines (both prescription and over-the-counter medicines), including appropriate selection, dosage and drug interactions, potential side effects and therapeutic effects
*.select, give advice on and supply non-prescription medicine, sickroom supplies and other products
*.develop legally recognised standards, and advise on government controls and regulations concerning the manufacture and supply of medicines
*.work in the research and development of medicines and other health-related products
*.be involved in the management of pharmaceutical companies.

Community pharmacistsdispense prescriptions, provide advice on drug selection and usage to doctors and other health professionals, primary healthcare advice and support, and educating customers on health promotion, disease prevention and the proper use of medicines..

Consultant pharmacistsare either employed by community pharmacies or hospitals, or are self- employed and contract with community pharmacies to provide medication reviews for residential care or ambulatory care patients and/or other medication-related cognitive services.

Hospital pharmacists operate as part of a healthcare team and are involved in monitoring medication usage, counseling patients, providing drug information and advice to healthprofessionals and the community, conducting clinical trials and preparing products for patient use. They usually have a lot of contact with other health professionals and members of the public.

Industrial pharmacistsundertake research and the development, manufacture, testing, analysis and marketing of pharmaceutical and medical products.....

Moreover, if the alternative drug contains the same combination, then it's actually not the pharmacist's fault, but the doctor's fault.

Our pharmacists in Nigeria are doing well as the system permits them. Let's not shout them down, abeg.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Cityguy: 10:08pm On Jul 09, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:

no pharmacist Will ever give you antibiotics for 2 wks because we know it does to the immune system and body cells when taken for long. we produce these drugs please. Enough of this cheap blackmail. pharmacists are the gate between life and death. we prevent doctors and nurses from killing you.
Oga, haba! Why you dey misyarn Na? Antibiotics can't be used for 2weeks? Which school you go Na? There are instances it is given for even three weeks my Oga. Antituberculous drugs nko? Antibiotics no dey abi dem no deynuse am for 6, or 9 months? Pls verify your facts. Not everyone on this forum no sabi na.

4 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Quelme: 10:09pm On Jul 09, 2016
Yonce:

Really?
Since when are pharmacists trained to prescribe drugs?
who makes the drug physicians prescribe.?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by OBITHAMONARCH(m): 10:10pm On Jul 09, 2016
First of all, the OP should not easily generalise things or jump into conclusion (you will break your leg lol). Since you know the drugs needed to better your condition, why not insist on that drug? Do you know how many people die yearly in Nigeria as a result of errors by the so called doctors? Do you know how many lives have been saved as a result of Pharmacists' intervention? Make proper research about the Nigerian health sector before spewing rubbish!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by thorpido(m): 10:12pm On Jul 09, 2016
nneh1:

Are pharmacists meant to take a patient's history in there pharmacys The stupid bickering among health workers in this country keeps dragging us backwards. I blame the minister of health.
Howlong does it take to take history?How many minutes does it take to ask relevant questions?
I'm not a pharmacist but I know how pharmacists work.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jul 09, 2016
dokiOloye:
A pharmacist can NEVER know abt d side efx of drugs more than doctors cos they have little or no contact wt d patient.
Pharmacists are actually the professionals that advise doctors on the side effects of drugs. Pharmacist spent years learning about interactions of drugs with patient not doctors.

In the US, the FDA which oversees all new drug applications, depends on clinical trials conducted by the "drug companies" to determine the drug’s therapeutic advantages and disadvantages.

Maybe things work differently in Nigeria. You can google the articules below.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jul 09, 2016
dokiOloye:
A pharmacist can NEVER know abt d side efx of drugs more than doctors cos they have little or no contact wt d patient.
that is not debatable, is it? truth is one thing that actually hurt.be healed bro!
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Okesilas15: 10:15pm On Jul 09, 2016
Looking at this objectively you can see that the pharmacist only gave him another brand of the same drug but that to my photographer it is a change of prescription.Again I think until he tell us which drug he was prescribed and which one it was changed to ,you won't know the stupid secret here.If the pharmacist had given him another brand of the same drug prescribed ,whatever happened thereafter is exclusively the doctors faults but you know as usual doctors always find some one to blame for their mistakes .Whoever works with them will know this.Is either they blame the pharmacist, nurse, patients relatives or even the patients for their failure.

2 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Cityguy: 10:16pm On Jul 09, 2016
babasho1:
As for me. I am more on the side of the pharmacists. I took my son for medication in my state teaching hospital only for the baby doctor on duty to prescribe a drug that a pharmacist said such drug should not be administered on a child of such age. It took the girl over an hour to prescribe the drug.

Secondly, I'm currently suffering from the side effect of a drug prescribed by another baby doctor, a boy this time around still in the same hospital. I have been treated for malaria recently which should have covered me for 11 months. Having read myvcase note, he still went ahead to prescribe camoquine for me with other strong antimalarial drugs. I later discovered that only 3 tablets of this drug usually nocks people down. This guy gave me 9 of it. Up till now I have not been myself. Pls if you know where I can lodge complain pls let me know. I have called the hospital complain line but it is dead.
There should be a SERVICOM office there. Go and complain there or if you feel so convinced about it, MDCN disciplinary committee is there that considers cases of malpractice against doctors. You have many options open to you. Just ensure you have a tight case so that the hunter may not turn out to be the hunted.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Lisaflex(f): 10:17pm On Jul 09, 2016
weblord1900:
mind you that some pharmacists are better than some doctors

Really? U shldnt even be mkin dt comparison cos der's no basis for it...A pharmacists knows only d drug bt not d patient, n der4 has no biz prescribing...2 or more ppl may hv d same symptoms buh r seen as unique cases ,cos u rnt jes treating a disease buh also d person suffering from it(ie taking a wholesome approach)...So u see,knowing every tiny detail abt a drug isn't enuf(der's usually more 2 it)
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by nelszx: 10:18pm On Jul 09, 2016
post=47379968:
English problem

So profer a solution to the problem
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by thorpido(m): 10:19pm On Jul 09, 2016
Yonce:

Really?
The same pharmacists who make the drugs?Pharmacists do not prescribe but can offer alternatives.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by HaneefahRN(f): 10:23pm On Jul 09, 2016
From the story, he probably was given a brand different from the one he asked for. I trust these people once they don't have the brand you want they tell you another brand is better.
And why was he self-medicating when he had Drs around?
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Lisaflex(f): 10:25pm On Jul 09, 2016
thorpido:
There was no way the pharmacist would have known if the drug was contraindicated in his case.Like I said,a good pharmacist should ask questions but can offer alternatives to drugs.
In a teaching or hospital setting,the pharmacist can get back to the doctor but I don't think the guy here got the drugs from an in-house pharmacy.

A pharmacist shld knw the contraindication(s )of a drug...He is supposed 2 knw dt dt particular drug he was prescribing is contraindicated(ie shldnt be given) in ppl wt asthma, n as a result shld have been prompted 2 ask d guy if he is an asthmatic
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by MIKOLOWISKA: 10:26pm On Jul 09, 2016
AdoraAmadi:
Demilader pictured below nearly lost his life today after a pharmacist didn't give him a drug he came to his shop to buy and instead, asked him to buy the 'better' one he prescribed.

Read Demi's story below.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/07/you-are-not-doctors-nigerian-man-who.html

lalasticlala
son of doctor, photographer, all the advert akunyili talk about adverse drug reaction and yet learned nothing
Can't even spell name properly
Why won't you kill yourself

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by mrintellectual(m): 10:27pm On Jul 09, 2016
HaneefahRN:
From the story, he probably was given a brand different from the one he asked for. I trust these people once they don't have the brand you want they tell you another brand is better.
And why was he self-medicating when he had Drs around?
Yes, the real problem was SELF MEDICATION

You just reminded me.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by zionglory(m): 10:30pm On Jul 09, 2016
Ayoswit:
some pharmacists are damn gud, i cant remember d last time i went to d hospital nor my family cos i have pharmacists who knows d right drug to give for a particular ailment, he was just unfortunate to meet a quack.
You are right ma brother and this is why some of them wanna die,daft arrogant souls.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jul 09, 2016
Cityguy:

Oga, haba! Why you dey misyarn Na? Antibiotics can't be used for 2weeks? Which school you go Na? There are instances it is given for even three weeks my Oga. Antituberculous drugs nko? Antibiotics no dey abi dem no deynuse am for 6, or 9 months? Pls verify your facts. Not everyone on this forum no sabi na.
i mean for a milder infection and if antibiotics must be taken over a long period of time as in the case of tuberculosis as you mentioned, it is essential that labs are done always. that's why health care is a team work. The patient is the one at the centre of the circle and not any professional.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by chichichilolo1(f): 10:32pm On Jul 09, 2016
That is what happens when one goes to consult a pharmacist when one is sick.pharmacists either produce or dispense drugs they are not trained to diagnose and treat diseases only a doctor does this.people will not hear, when you are sick visit a doctor and then a pharmacist to get the prescribed drugs not the other way around
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by caracas: 10:35pm On Jul 09, 2016
Yonce:

Really?
N who told u pharmacists cannot prescribe drugs ,in fact they are better than doctors in terms of prescription.they know more about drugs than doctors.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 10:35pm On Jul 09, 2016
thorpido:
There was nothing wrong with what the pharmacist did.If there is no particular drug,the pharmacist can give alternatives.It's what they are trained to do.
The problem was not taking history and the victim here not volunteering such information.
Pharmacists are not trained to take histories, so they shouldn't listen to histories either. Their job is to dispense drugs prescribed by doctors
IZANMI I
IZANMII
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 10:37pm On Jul 09, 2016
duvie92:
A doctor that didn't know about his condition could have prescribed that drug also.
Doctors rarely make that mistake
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Cityguy: 10:38pm On Jul 09, 2016
Obiochajumbo123:
Healthcare delivery is a team work and every player is important. A good hospital cleaner should be proud of his or her job designation because he or she shares the responsibilty for every life saved . Unfortunately, we have a system where people are not proud of the parts they play, hence, they encroach on those of others to seek fulfilment.
The art and science of drug prescription is not just about the drug. It is actually more about the patient. Also, a doctor's prescription is not just about the information he gets from listening to the patient, it is also about information he gets by observing and examining the patient and from a lot of investigations. It takes a lot of training to be a doctor and I reckon that is also true for a pharmacist. It would be better if both should strive to be very good at what they do rather than encroach on the responsibilities of the other.
Excellent submission. This kind of problem doesn't arise in private setups because you are there to work for your money and not drag title. It's mostly in govt work where we know if we go on strike, we still get paid that we tend to drag unnecessary issues. Let us be proud of our callings and practice our professions within the limits of rules and competence.

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by OBITHAMONARCH(m): 10:39pm On Jul 09, 2016
Lisaflex:

Really? U shldnt even be mkin dt comparison cos der's no basis for it...A pharmacists knows only d drug bt not d patient, n der4 has no biz prescribing...2 or more ppl may hv d same symptoms buh r seen as unique cases ,cos u rnt jes treating a disease buh also d person suffering from it(ie taking a wholesome approach)...So u see,knowing every tiny detail abt a drug isn't enuf(der's usually more 2 it)

Anty, if you dont know what a pharmacist knows, pls just keep quiet abeg. Have you heard of clinical pharmacy? Besides tiny details matter in the chemistry of drugs, which many doctors dont know about. We shouldnt be talking about who's better, rather, we should be a health team for a better healthcare delivery system. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 10:39pm On Jul 09, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:
Get out of here! Are you saying there's no collaborative practice between your pharmacist and your doctor? pharmacists produce the drug your doctor prescribe for you so don't react as if they no nothing. who knows maybe you visited a patent medicine dealer. pharmacists know lots about medications than your doctors. No pharmacist will ever give you a drug you'll adversely to because they know so well about drug reactions.
Before you take any drug make sure you talk to the pharmacist. They are the best resource you can ever get on drugs.

This should not turn to pharmacists vs others bashing thread though!
They may know more about the chemical formulae but the drug disease relationship is reserved for doctors.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by caracas: 10:40pm On Jul 09, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Pharmacists are not trained to take histories, so they shouldn't listen to histories either. Their job is to dispense drugs prescribed by doctors
IZANMI I
IZANMII
This guy is funny so a pharmacists went to school for 5 years + internship ,only to become a drug dispenser,what even illiterates can do.
U are very funny Indeed.
N who told u pharmacists can't take histories ,when even a common first aider can take histories.
My point is pharmacists n doctors are experts in drug medications.no one should write any of them off.

4 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by thorpido(m): 10:41pm On Jul 09, 2016
Lisaflex:

A pharmacist shld knw the contraindication(s )of a drug...He is supposed 2 knw dt dt particular drug he was prescribing is contraindicated(ie shldnt be given) in ppl wt asthma, n as a result shld have been prompted 2 ask d guy if he is an asthmatic
We don't know for sure if the pharmacist gave a different brand of the same drug or gave an entirely different one from the story here.
Like I said,except there was an indication that he was asthmatic,there was no way the pharmacist would have known if he never mentioned it.A good pharmacist however ought to ask.

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by HaneefahRN(f): 10:42pm On Jul 09, 2016
mrintellectual:

Yes, the real problem was SELF MEDICATION

You just reminded me.

Yeah, it is. What he thought was wrong with him that made him seek out that drug (since he claims it usually works for him) might not have been what was truly wrong and the drug might or might not have exacerbated it. We don't know the drugs he bought so can't say. It might have been a situation of different brand names.

Who knows sha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Female Uniben Student Goes Mad In Lagos, Strips Unclad, Dances On Expressway(pic / Hallitosis(Mouth Odour) Has Finished Me; Pls Help A Brother / 13-Year-Old Pregnant Akwa Ibom Girl To Undergo Caesarean Operation (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.