Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,198 members, 7,953,730 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:41 AM

My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market (13359 Views)

How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? / Ordeals Of A Nigerian Job Seeker In Pictures / Dear Nigerian Job Interviewers, Please Stop Stressing Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by zubinike(m): 9:22am On Jul 11, 2016
Sempumping:
embarassed Op biko can I be your sister

Be his mother

1 Like

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by Nobody: 9:28am On Jul 11, 2016
#3 got me laughing is the truth bro
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by Nobody: 9:28am On Jul 11, 2016
ArcFresky:
Recently became employed and i wish to share my experiences.
  I graduated from a renowned Nigerian instution with a 2.1 in architecture and a 4. Cgpa in masters. My skills included knolwledge in almost all relevant architectural software and general computing, so job humt must be easy right?

;DHowever i wanted a job by searching on my own. this led me to scurrying through jobberman, texing and mailing numerous online firms, calling various firms listed in the registered architects booklet.

I got some offers, but the pay and work environment was discouraging.   After 2 weeks of looking... I humbly went back to my dad (who i had earlier refused his offer)  and just like magic, got a call from a nice firm to come and start work asap.

Anyways the point is.

1. Jobberman is now crap.. Nigerians have spoilt it with spam (got a lotta fake mails, plus jobberman kept advertising a cv rewrite (5k)  and online courses.

2. Jobs are near u. Check online using google maps or directories. For example i used archon register of architects, Gave me a localised list of numbers and mails

3. C.V's? Crap....show them what u can offer... c.v is just a formality. Peeps at my workplace havent even seen my C.V.

3. C.v's are good, but are better with connections.... Find an influential person and disturb the crap out of his/her life.

4. Be humble and honest. Ur cv is probably not the best, plus honesty pays...

5. Pray pray pray..

I think what this what you can offer thing applies to folks in the built environment only. How can an accountant or chemistry show what they can offer ? I'm graduate of q.s still searching for job. You fit connect me??
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by Nobody: 9:32am On Jul 11, 2016
Sweetcollins:
All those saying employ yourself. Have u considered some factors that need to be in place before starting...at least an enabling environ, small capital and no disturbances from all those hungry tax forces etc

I'm so tired of hearing this self-employed ish. God will help us .
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by toppie: 9:33am On Jul 11, 2016
URGENT VACANCY!!!

A reputable Marketing organisation @ Ifako/Agege Environ is recruiting for the following Positions;

OFFICE ASSISTANT (MINIMUM OF S.S.C.E)
COMPUTER OPERATOR (MInimum of S.S.C.E)
CLIENT RELATIONSHIP OFFICER (Minimum of O.N.D)
SUPERVISOR (Minimum of O.N.D)
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by toppie: 9:36am On Jul 11, 2016
URGENT VACANCY!!!

A reputable Marketing organisation @ Ifako/Agege Environ is recruiting for the following Positions;

OFFICE ASSISTANT (MINIMUM OF S.S.C.E)
COMPUTER OPERATOR (MInimum of S.S.C.E)
CLIENT RELATIONSHIP OFFICER (Minimum of O.N.D)
SUPERVISOR (Minimum of O.N.D)

Interested applicants should please forward their C.VS to boomex.enterprises@yahoo.com
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by NifemiOlu(m): 9:52am On Jul 11, 2016
bigtt76:
Nigeria Educational System use CGPA while UK and other European Universities use point system. What OP meant was that he got a 4.00 CGPA in his Masters.

Of course. What I'm trying to imply is, for example, that I had a 3.34 CGPA in my undergraduate programme and have 60 points in my Masters, Nigerian universities use CGPA for undergraduate programmes and points for Postgraduate programmes. Well, maybe I'm missing something.
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by RealityShot: 9:59am On Jul 11, 2016
Toluwani111:
GREAT NAIRALANDERS!

please Advice me

I want to buy a android phone with quality camera, long last battery, rugged, 4.5 inches or 5 inches, removable battery, Can carry large number of applications
Which one best suites that specifications.
NB: my budget is #15,000- #20,000
kindly QUOTE ME with your suggestion.
Thanks

Go to jumia and look for Lenovo phones..
Or manage tecno y2
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by claremont(m): 11:13am On Jul 11, 2016
Unfortunately, the OP represents everything that is wrong with the Nigeria job climate. A climate that favors nepotism and favoritism over skills and talent.
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by An0nimus: 11:15am On Jul 11, 2016
bigtt76:
When connections is needed to pass CV or get a job ...then its no longer by merit undecided

Not always true. Sometimes connection is like referral/recommendation. You still get to do tests and interviews.
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by ogashman(m): 1:54pm On Jul 11, 2016
Nice one
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by daphid25(m): 3:04pm On Jul 11, 2016
dexcira:
In phynos voice(enwem chineke nna bi na eligwe enwem connne). Op connect me na wink cheesy
Meaning?
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by bigtt76(f): 5:06pm On Jul 11, 2016
I doubt Nigerian Universities use points undecided

NifemiOlu:

Of course. What I'm trying to imply is, for example, that I had a 3.34 CGPA in my undergraduate programme and have 60 points in my Masters, Nigerian universities use CGPA for undergraduate programmes and points for Postgraduate programmes. Well, maybe I'm missing something.
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by Serial: 5:10pm On Jul 11, 2016
5 TIPS TO PAY YOUR HOUSE RENT WITH EASE

If you've just gotten your dream job and considering renting a self-contain apartment or moving into a new apartment, the thought of being able to pay your rent before due date and consistently without having clashes with your landlord starts to come to mind. In fact, some people will rather remain under the shelter of parents than rent their own apartments just because of the fear of being able to pay their rent without going bankrupt.

You’re growing older and you will soon own a family (or may be you own a family already), therefore, you've got to learn to take risk with my easy ways to pay your house rent conveniently without going bankrupt.

Read more http://www.tolet.com.ng/blog/5-tips-to-pay-your-house-rent-with-ease/

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by NifemiOlu(m): 8:57pm On Jul 11, 2016
bigtt76:
I doubt Nigerian Universities use points undecided

Ok
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by ArcFresky(m): 9:31pm On Jul 11, 2016
ReabridCharles:
4. Be humble and honest. Ur cv is probably not the best, plus honesty pays...

5. Pray pray pray..

I don't see how prayer and honesty played a role in your recruitment.

Yours is a clear case of "Who you sabi"
Not everyone walks up to papa and just a dial away, an offer comes.
Some of us no even get papa.

Boss, thank you for your advise eh!
If to say you find work on your own, ur advise for change to testimony

Bros no vex....
Anyways i got a job on my own... but wasnt up to the other offer.....
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by ArcFresky(m): 9:43pm On Jul 11, 2016
claremont:
Unfortunately, the OP represents everything that is wrong with the Nigeria job climate. A climate that favors nepotism and favoritism over skills and talent.

Maybe u didnt read the text fully. Cos i remeber saying i got a job (s) on my own.

The point is, connection itself has limits.... for example a connection with third class can get you into a company not higher positions (unless its owned by ur father).
Therefore its best u are well positioned and backed by a good referral. Anyone can refer u. So long u are properly qualified.

The only limit to anyone employing you is the trust factor. Some Nigerians if given the oppurtunity will suck a company dry. So companies are more comfortable employing you when u come from someone they know. cool

I should say this, i was qualified for the job.... had some experience in building, learnt a lot of archi softwares... so anyone cant really say i got my job unfairly....
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by ArcFresky(m): 10:01pm On Jul 11, 2016
firstfuckson:
What this op said is total crap. I got a job in this country without knowing anyone. He is just a spoilt brat who I believe got his grades by his father helping him sort lecturers. Make a good CV, search for jobs on the internet, upgrade your knowledge where necessary, and above all be hopeful and prayerful. Not everybody has a father who is influential. I am sure his father had to work for his own success.

First, as much as i wanted to ignore u, i wont... if i was indeed spoilt i wont seek a job.
Second... my referral could have been my dad or anyon else who knows/knew me well...
Third, my grades were as a result of hardwork and was even considered poor in my house.
Fourth my dads influence would have not been needed if Nigerians didnt vIew fellow Nigerians as scammers.
I can assure u, i was suitably qualified for the job, and could have gotten it, if it was a level playing ground...

So cool ur nuts nigger and get creative, a job is waiting for u.
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by ArcFresky(m): 10:05pm On Jul 11, 2016
gungab:

op,can you suggest any biz management directory I can use
thanks
btw today is my birthday
show some love

Hbd though....
I am not really conversant with those. But businees management ought to have an association right.....? Get those association members and their contacts. Google will help u a great deal.... and incase you can add ".pdf" to ur searches

1 Like

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by ArcFresky(m): 10:08pm On Jul 11, 2016
histemple:

Creative in your search.

Get connected.

You have shown a good understanding of the Nigerian Labour Market.

Experience is the best teacher
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by toppie: 10:16pm On Jul 12, 2016
Get your Quality POS THERMAL PAPER 80x80x12 for only N10,500
57x50 for only N7,000

Hurry while the stock last

Call or Whatsapp BG Concepts Lagos on 08156779296

Delivery across state is available.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do Lagos People Get Job Updates/vacancies / 6 Simple Mistakes That Can Sabotage Your Job Search. / 3 Steps To Get A High Paying Job In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.