Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,358 members, 7,868,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 09:38 AM

As We Remember OAU Five Of Great Ife - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / As We Remember OAU Five Of Great Ife (1011 Views)

We Were Fed With Dried Garri And Egusi Water In Prison - OAU Five / Great Ife SU Shut Down University Of Ibadan / Oau Great Ife..where Is Your Greatness???? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

As We Remember OAU Five Of Great Ife by Handsomecole(m): 8:52pm On Jul 10, 2016
As we remember OAU Five.

Today is July 10 and it remains a great day to every product of Great Ife Obafemi Awolowo University. A day to rejoice and a day to reflect . A day which some young men sacrificed their lives thus making OAU the safest campus in Nigeria and indeed Africa in which students can walk around at any time during the day and night without fear of intimidation . Today marked the era in which Great Ife Students defeated the evil called cultism.

We remember and celebrate iwilade George aka Africa and four others who were martyred on this day by dreaded cultists on the order of the then VC Wale Omole. We Great Ife will not stop until justice is done and those behind the murder of these individuals are brought to justice beginning with Wale Omole.

*Attached

Today, we remember GEORGE IWILADE aka AFRIKA.

I believe we are all familiar with this man's story and that of the other four (OAU 5) that lost their lives on this exact day some years back. As a student of Obafemi Awolowo University, we may at one point or the other heard about what transpired before July 10, 1999 and the aftermath of what happened that day.

Since that day, their footprints have been left on OAU soil, their names engraved in most students hearts. Till today they are referred to as heroes, 'OAU STUDENTS' MARTYRS!'. We believe their death paved way for the peace we enjoy now on our campus: free movements at any time of the day, zero cultists operation, egalitarian system amongst other things.

What is even special about this guy, Afrika? Nothing. Yes, nothing except for the fact that he stood for what he believed in. History tells us that he fought with all he had. He was brave, principled, clear headed, uncompromising, epitome of unionist, activist to the core! They won the 1999 fee hike struggle against the school management (whom we all view as invincible). How I wish our unionists today were like him, at least, our Students Union might not have been in this current regressive state.

He made an IMPACT. He left a LEGACY.

What impact are we making at that place we are today? What will me and you be remembered for? What legacy are we going to leave behind? Can we sacrifice all we have for the GOSPEL? Can we die for CHRIST?

If we can't die for what we live for, then we are not worthy of living.

AFRIKA is a movement! AFRIKA lives on!
‪#‎NoToCultism‬
‪#‎IStandforChrist‬
‪#‎ReopenOAU‬

I enjoin all Great Ife products around the world to continue to spread the message of zero tolerance to cultism.

I am Kenneth Cole Proudly Great Ife and I say "NO" to cultism!!!

(1) (Reply)

Open Letter To The Futo Vice Chancellor...what Futo Students Really Need / Is It Too Late To Start A Phd At 34? / >> CHEMISTRY: Topic "Introduction To Chemistry." << *

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.