Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:30 AM

OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates (1363 Views)

Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG / OAU Is Over Rated Pompous University. / Reply To 'reason Why Oau Is Not The Best' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 17, 2016
I have been following all the dramas trailing this year's admission 'back to back' because of my sister, as I'm the first born and my parents are always busy, so it's my responsibility to help in such matters. From the awarding of ridiculous scores by JAMB to candidates to their confusion of giving additional 40 marks to candidates and later subtracting it again for the reason best known to them. Then step in, the federal Government represented by the Minister of Education Mallam (Adamu)*2, with their campaign flagship of stamping out corruption decided to stop the higher institutions from conducting another form of examination in the name of Post-UTME for admission seeking candidates into the higher institutions, even though some schools like OOU, Ago-iwoye have successfully conducted their own Post-UTME before that announcement, while schools like UNIUYO and UNIPORT who later advertised their own put it on suspension, but one certain UNIBEN still went ahead and collected money from candidates and were able to conduct their day one exams, before Malam (Adamu)*2 came out again to reiterate his stance on the cancellation of another form of examination after UTME in any guise either oral or written, that written, that the only thing that is allowed is screening of the candidates' certificate before admitting them citing Post-UTME as unnecessary and a form of extorting the candidates.
After series of meetings with concerned stakeholders, it was agreed that candidates shouldn't pay more than N2,500 for the screening, it was then that UNIBEN included a column on their portal for candidates to input their account details so that their money can be refunded.
But now the most corrupt Federal university in the country announced her screening exercise in the punch newspaper and put N1,500 there as the cost of the screening, but that's just a bit part,but once you log on to the E-portal you will be required to pay additional N5,000 and another N380 for bank charges making a total of N6,850, and moreso the portal is opened to everyone even those that have not been posted by JAMB to the school which is against the new official guidelines. So my question is what exactly has changed? Because during our own time we paid N7,000 which understandably included the cost of the payments of Supervisors,Invigilators, Typists and Markers, because then even though it's a paper and pencil test, it will be marked and uploaded latest 12hrs after the examination, but now that nothing of such is going to happen, why are candidates to made to pay N6,850?
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 17, 2016
Lalasticlala, seun, mynd44, front page please, i want the Minister to see this, or someone close to him
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jul 17, 2016
This is the least expected of a school who presently has a lot to deal with, the candidates they admitted since last year are still at home while their counterparts in other schools are almost through with year one, No Vice- Chancellor, No governing council, they don't care about the students they sent home, all that they are interested in is the money to extort from admission seekers
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jul 17, 2016
They wrote N1,500 in the newspaper, but the total cost of the screening is N6,850 as written on the E-portal
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jul 17, 2016
Cc Dominique, fynestboi
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Genius101(m): 3:09pm On Jul 17, 2016
Angeldepedro:
This is the least expected of a school who presently has a lot to deal with, the candidates they admitted since last year are still at home while their counterparts in other schools are almost through with year one, No Vice- Chancellor, No governing council, they don't care about the students they sent home, all that they are interested in is the money to extort from admission seekers
imagin inviting candidates with 180 to register and be screened for medicine just so as to collect their money. i don't understand why they can't obey simple instruction i-e, screen only candidates recommended by jamb.
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 17, 2016
Genius101:
imagin inviting candidates with 180 to register and be screened for medicine just so as to collect their money. i don't understand why they can't obey simple instruction i-e, screen only candidates recommended by jamb.
I'm really angry right now, i want this to get to as many people as possible, I'm currently in ife, I'm considering putting it in the newspaper tomorrow, don't know who to contact, a fresher was telling me yesterday of how tired she's since last year, she's has been admitted but she's still at home, don't know why the moderators refused to push it to front page, when it's not the cleavage of an actress or all those irritating bleached celebrity pictures

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 17, 2016
chairman,it is painful oooh....even UNIBEN said we should update our information by putting our Bank details on their website so as to get a refund......till now,no news again ooh...
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 17, 2016
Each year,new policies are introduced.....this is my third JAMB examination......this year,i fell victim to their irregularities and incompetence.........As it is,My admission or Posting is at the mercy of JAMB(which ought not to be)........infact,i am angrier than you but we are helplessly watching......No organization to speak on our behalf,corruption everywhere.........I look up to God
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 17, 2016
It's very hard for some schools to give up on the profit they make from the post utme, hence they are coming in other forms, 6850 is highly ridiculous for just screening.
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by ADEWUMIMichael(m): 5:04pm On Jul 17, 2016
We don't have to drag anything, this is what we call kwaruption (in buhary language) BUT something i just noticed is that instead of this thing to be reducing, it just keep on increasing from day to day, the best and only thing that can stop corruption in 9ja is RAPTURE...! Hope you geh what i'm trying to say!!
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 17, 2016
Angeldepedro:
I'm really angry right now, i want this to get to as many people as possible, I'm currently in ife, I'm considering putting it in the newspaper tomorrow, don't know who to contact, a fresher was telling me yesterday of how tired she's since last year, she's has been admitted but she's still at home, don't know why the moderators refused to push it to front page, when it's not the cleavage of an actress or all those irritating bleached celebrity pictures

calm down na. Twill eventually get to fp, trust fynestboi to do justice
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by babyfaceafrica: 5:19pm On Jul 17, 2016
Okay
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by ademiD(f): 5:25pm On Jul 17, 2016
from 1500 to 6850....kwarruption
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Fynestboi: 5:32pm On Jul 17, 2016
ademiD:
from 1500 to 6850....kwarruption
Which 1500? It wasn't from 1500, last year Putme was over 7000+.
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Fynestboi: 5:34pm On Jul 17, 2016
Here is the breakdown

1500: Screening Fee
5000: Result Checker (Like seriously undecided)
350: Bank charges.

My concern then is, what result will the freshers be using 5000 to check? angry
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by ademiD(f): 5:35pm On Jul 17, 2016
Fynestboi:

Which 1500? It wasn't from 1500, last year Putme was over 7000+.

no...I mean they announced 1500 in the newspaper and it turned to 6850 on the school portal
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Fynestboi: 5:39pm On Jul 17, 2016
ademiD:
no...I mean they announced 1500 in the newspaper and it turned to 6850 on the school portal

They assume it is still 1500, did you see my breakdown up there?
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by ademiD(f): 5:48pm On Jul 17, 2016
Fynestboi:

They assume it is still 1500, did you see my breakdown up there?
yes..
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Genius101(m): 6:05pm On Jul 17, 2016
Fynestboi:
Here is the breakdown

1500: Screening Fee
5000: Result Checker (Like seriously undecided)
350: Bank charges.

My concern then is, what result will the freshers be using 5000 to check? angry
am of the opinion that from next year,the minister will fix a non negotiable and uniform fee as a result they want to quickly make as much money this year....it's even worst that candidates not posted are still asked to participate in the exercise knowing fulll well that they won't be admitted
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Genius101(m): 6:06pm On Jul 17, 2016
Angeldepedro:
i feel your pains bro. wish this can reach the appropriate bodies
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by legendary0001(m): 6:47pm On Jul 17, 2016
I knew this would happen.One of the arguments for POST UTME ban was based on "double cost" of utme &post utme which was a burden on parents & candidates. It was this shallow assumption that prompted the minister to hastily make a myopic pronouncement of cancellation of post utme without carefully consulting ALL the stakeholders. Now, let's carefully look at the consequences, OAU as a case study :
DURING POST UTME:registration card = #3000,Result checker=#3000.
Mode of admission= UTMT+PUTME \ 2 , NOW unknown
Screening of credentials=FREE BUT NOW #6850.
An average UTME score can boosted With a robust score in PUTME WHILE now,there's no 2nd chance
OAU PUTME=Reliability+Transparent.SCREENING EXERCISE= Unknown
Even without Post utme, I think it's more profitable for the university now; no payments for printers, supervisors, invigilators,markers & logistics. I only pity those candidates celebrating the cancellation of PUTME. Personally, I'll recommend an instant reinstatement of Post utme, at least, we'll know what we are paying for.

2 Likes

Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by DIVA99(f): 7:00pm On Jul 17, 2016
kurruption is even worst in this administration than the last administration all because of hunger and poverty.
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Annibiteye: 7:33pm On Jul 17, 2016
Angeldepedro:
I tell you, this should make front page, hope moderators are gonna effect this immediately
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Olarewajub: 7:35pm On Jul 17, 2016
Observing in 3D
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jul 17, 2016
They should have channelled all the efforts they used in organizing the commencement of the screening to the reopening of the school, students are at home, the people they admitted last year are yet to start anything, but all they are interested in is N6850. It shows that as usual they are only doing what's best for business protecting just their own interests.
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Okohlient(m): 8:13pm On Jul 17, 2016
May God just help us..... Really confused
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by phlemzy: 10:23pm On Jul 17, 2016
Putme extortion that ought to have been stopped long ago. .Now they're used to it.
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by druxy(m): 11:17pm On Jul 17, 2016
Emmagenius:
Each year,new policies are introduced.....this is my third JAMB examination......this year,i fell victim to their irregularities and incompetence.........As it is,My admission or Posting is at the mercy of JAMB(which ought not to be)........infact,i am angrier than you but we are helplessly watching......No organization to speak on our behalf,corruption everywhere.........I look up to God
baba I feel ya pain.ever since these cbt started
Re: OAU Is Charging N6,850 Just To Screen Candidates by Abeos(m): 1:42am On Jul 18, 2016
wonder why they cannot follow simple instruction

(1) (Reply)

He Wants To Sue His Department. HELP!!!! / . / D’setter Private Female Hostel For Rent At 37 Ibukun Olu Street, Lagos, Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.