Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,549 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls (67474 Views)

Governor Eric Greitens Arrested After Circulating Nude Photos Of Lover / Malawian Minister Sits On The Floor While Addressing President Peter Mutharika / See How Much Pres.obama Is Paid Per Month! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by SaintUlot: 2:07am On Jul 22, 2016
Check my signature and start making money daily directly into your bank account
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by dimexy247(m): 2:33am On Jul 22, 2016
Firstly, pissure of his HIV result or u know the drill, " ADONBILIVIT"

Secondly, fidioh of him kayaking those girls and the hordioh of their voice moaning or u know the drill see "ADONBILIVIT"
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by cao(f): 2:34am On Jul 22, 2016
If the girls refuse, it's believed, disease or some fatal misfortune could befall their families or the village as a whole.
The irony of this sentence is just beyond sad.

1 Like

Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by babysophie(f): 4:41am On Jul 22, 2016
wheredemdey:
Cursed race

The Blackman is a big waste....inhaling air meant for sane people with his huge wide blacknose.

Ndi ala
U jst won't kill us wif laughter. I'm having headache nw frm laughing.

1 Like

Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by fanficgirl(f): 4:59am On Jul 22, 2016
xxolisexx:
guy yu sabi lie oo, yu had to say he was hiv positive so that ppl will read yur post, i also read the news on bbc and there was no where they said he was HIV positive so please check yur post
He said he was in the video sir.

1 Like

Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by bedfordng(m): 5:50am On Jul 22, 2016
mmm
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by ClassCaptain(m): 6:34am On Jul 22, 2016
shammah1:
shocked

The world is extremely wicked cry

boss, i really enjoyed your productions on Ice prince fire of zamani album.

Its nice to see you are a bit active on nairaland...am a recording artiste and i hope u dont mind if i send u some of my songs to check out.....

Thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by amtaken(f): 6:50am On Jul 22, 2016
Any culture that is repugnant to natural justice equity and good conscience MUST be abolished. This is why I hate most of these cultural practices.

Mxm.

1 Like

Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by MrPresident1: 6:54am On Jul 22, 2016
amtaken:
Any culture that is repugnant to natural justice equity and good conscience MUST be abolished. This is why I hate most of these cultural practices.

Mxm.

what is Mxm?

1 Like

Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by abdulkabirO(m): 7:27am On Jul 22, 2016
contactmorak:
According to BBC News, Eric Avina pictured is a middle aged HIV positive Malawian man whose responsibility it is to conduct "sexual cleansing" for underaged and also matured women in Nsanje district in southern Malawi.

Avina in his community is referred to as Hyena, a traditional title given to a man hired by communities in several remote parts of southern Malawi to provide what's called sexual "cleansing".

If a man dies, for example, his wife is required by tradition to sleep with Avina before she can bury him. If a woman has an abortion, she is expected to sleep with Avina to undergo cleansing. Also teenage girls, after their first menstruation, are made to have sex over a three-day period with Avina to mark their passage from childhood to womanhood. If the girls refuse, it's believed, disease or some fatal misfortune could befall their families or the village as a whole. He says he's one of 10 hyenas in their community, and that every village in Nsanje district has them. They are paid from $4 to $7 (£3 to £5) each time.
"Most of those I have slept with are girls, school-going girls. Some girls are just 12 or 13 years old, but I prefer them older. All these girls find pleasure in having me as their hyena. They actually are proud and tell other people that this man is a real man, he knows how to please a woman." he told BBC

Avina when asked said he is aware that he is HIV positive but he doesn't tell the women he sleeps with. Although he has lost count of the women he has slept with, he puts the figure at about 104. He is married to two women who know about his job and approve.

http://www.newseveryhour.com/2016/07/photos-meet-hiv-positive-malawian-man.html

I guess no one will Abuse this man,in the name of culture they re passing deadly disease to ppl,well,he is not even a Muslim if not this thread could have been filled up with negative comments ,and i guess he has a religion,no one will abuse his religion now ,hypocrisy of the highest other
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by bobbybrown007: 8:32am On Jul 22, 2016
contactmorak:
According to BBC News, Eric Avina pictured is a middle aged HIV positive Malawian man whose responsibility it is to conduct "sexual cleansing" for underaged and also matured women in Nsanje district in southern Malawi.

Avina in his community is referred to as Hyena, a traditional title given to a man hired by communities in several remote parts of southern Malawi to provide what's called sexual "cleansing".

If a man dies, for example, his wife is required by tradition to sleep with Avina before she can bury him. If a woman has an abortion, she is expected to sleep with Avina to undergo cleansing. Also teenage girls, after their first menstruation, are made to have sex over a three-day period with Avina to mark their passage from childhood to womanhood. If the girls refuse, it's believed, disease or some fatal misfortune could befall their families or the village as a whole. He says he's one of 10 hyenas in their community, and that every village in Nsanje district has them. They are paid from $4 to $7 (£3 to £5) each time.
"Most of those I have slept with are girls, school-going girls. Some girls are just 12 or 13 years old, but I prefer them older. All these girls find pleasure in having me as their hyena. They actually are proud and tell other people that this man is a real man, he knows how to please a woman." he told BBC

Avina when asked said he is aware that he is HIV positive but he doesn't tell the women he sleeps with. Although he has lost count of the women he has slept with, he puts the figure at about 104. He is married to two women who know about his job and approve.

http://www.newseveryhour.com/2016/07/photos-meet-hiv-positive-malawian-man.html
what to do ?

1 Like

Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by youngest85(m): 8:44am On Jul 22, 2016
i hereby declare myself as a cleanser
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by monalsian(f): 9:22am On Jul 22, 2016
What A Tradition,GOD Pls Help Your Children.

1 Like

Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by amtaken(f): 10:00am On Jul 22, 2016
It is a HISS.

MrPresident1:

what is Mxm?

1 Like

Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by PatrickAnyanwu(m): 10:03am On Jul 22, 2016
Bunkum....
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by Klare(f): 10:46am On Jul 22, 2016
john4reala:
this is An Insult to Covenant University

How
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by shammah1(m): 11:14am On Jul 22, 2016
Thanks bro. More to come soon!
ClassCaptain:

boss, i really enjoyed your productions on Ice prince fire of zamani album.

Its nice to see you are a bit active on nairaland...am a recording artiste and i hope u dont mind if i send u some of my songs to check out.....

Thanks smiley
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by adecares(f): 11:46am On Jul 22, 2016
Can u imagine what illiteracy is causing.
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by Beey(f): 12:39pm On Jul 22, 2016
Muafrika2:

Kwanza ana kuwa "cleansed" na mtu kama huyo wa Malawi.
Heheee,Saitan! Kwa lugha ya Igbo shetani wanamuita Ekwensu! Mila na desturi zingine ni Za ushirikina.Zafaa zitupiliwe mbali Kabisa!
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by mikron(m): 1:31pm On Jul 22, 2016
fvckupery

Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jul 22, 2016
NA SO THE H.I.V DEY TAKE DEY SPREAD UPANDAN angry
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by CipherNet: 4:35pm On Jul 22, 2016
$5 by 104 estimate he gave amounts to $520.
For the risks he is exposed to? Not profitable I should say undecided
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jul 22, 2016
Beey:
Heheee,Saitan! Kwa lugha ya Igbo shetani wanamuita Ekwensu! Mila na desturi zingine ni Za ushirikina. Zafaa zitupiliwe mbali Kabisa!
Ni kweli. Uchawi mtupu! Kuongezea watu shida juu ya nyingine.

1 Like

Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by Hbuyosh(m): 6:32pm On Jul 23, 2016
Beey:
Hehe, mna mambo Kweli.Wajaluo nilidhani Mila Yao ni ya "wife inheritance".
Huyu @muafrika2 ni kuropokwa anaropokwa. Waluo wao hufanya tu wife inheritance, sio kitu same na kitu hawa watu wamalawi wanado, ati msee kulipwa kusleep na madem, hata watoi ati ndio kuwacleanse. Kwanza the widows in jakaland wanainheritiwa na mmoja wa mabros wa huyo jamaa amededi. Hiyo kitu ati mtu analipwa kucleanse mamanzi haiko kwa mila ya wajaka! Kwanza hata hiyo ya kuinherit mawidowz pia inaisha isha places mob huko juu ya AIDS, Christianity, urbanization na good education.
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by Hbuyosh(m): 6:48pm On Jul 23, 2016
Muafrika2:

Evidence ya nini? Kwani hujatoka nje ya Nairobi ama burial zote ume attend ni za Lang'ata. Do u know where HIV rate is highest in Kenya?

Follow this link for the Kenyan widow cleanser...

http://www.jiasociety.org/index.php/jias/article/view/19010/3800

Tanzania widow cleansing

http://news.trust.org//item/20131004013124-9hq3g/

Tembea Kenya kabla kuropokwa.

Wife inheritance, as described in the website whose link u have provided here: http://www.jiasociety.org/index.php/jias/article/view/19010/3800

Where is any mention of pipo being paid to sleep with underage gals as a means of cleansing them? Kwanza in luo culture, underage persons arent supposed to know about sex. Gals in particular were expected in the olden days to remain pure until they get married. Once they got violated, the girls risked getting married off to some old man or some persons rejected by the society (ie the crippled, sorry if there is any reading this). For no self respecting man would accept her, no self respecting family would admit her into their homestead for that's a disgrace.

The widow gets inherited by one of her brothers-in -law, not by some paid man. This is intended for her to continue being part of that family, because she belongs to that community.
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jul 23, 2016
Hbuyosh:

Wife inheritance, as described in the website whose link u have provided here: http://www.jiasociety.org/index.php/jias/article/view/19010/3800

Where is any mention of pipo being paid to sleep with underage gals as a means of cleansing them? Kwanza in luo culture, underage persons arent supposed to know about sex. Gals in particular were expected in the olden days to remain pure until they get married. Once they got violated, the girls risked getting married off to some old man or some persons rejected by the society (ie the crippled, sorry if there is any reading this). For no self respecting man would accept her, no self respecting family would admit her into their homestead for that's a disgrace.

The widow gets inherited by one of her brothers-in -law, not by some paid man. This is intended for her to continue being part of that family, because she belongs to that community.

Hii nime cut from hiyo article...

Introduction: The customs of widow cleansing and widow inheritance are practiced in several communities throughout sub-Saharan Africa. In the Nyanza Province of Kenya, according to tradition, Luo widows are expected to engage in sexual intercourse with a “cleanser,” without the use of a condom, in order to remove the impurity ascribed to her after her husband’s death. Luo couples, including widows, are also expected to engage in sex preceding specific agricultural activities, building homes, funerals, weddings, and other significant cultural and social events. Widows who are inherited for the purpose of fulfilling cultural obligation have a higher prevalence of HIV than those who remain un-inherited or are inherited for the purpose of companionship.

Need I add? Na it's a paying job. Hata topic pekee yake haukushikanisha. Inheritance comes AFTER cleansing.

Stori ya underage ndio iko tofauti labda. Hatujui nini inafanyika zaidi ya hapo considering bado kuna watu wana valisha teenage daughters beads as a mark kisha wanaume wote wa kijiji wana mrape in the name of initiating her. Hiyo ni Kenya bado.
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by Hbuyosh(m): 3:21pm On Jul 25, 2016
Muafrika2:

Hii nime cut from hiyo article...

Introduction: The customs of widow cleansing and widow inheritance are practiced in several communities throughout sub-Saharan Africa. In the Nyanza Province of Kenya, according to tradition, Luo widows are expected to engage in sexual intercourse with a “cleanser,” without the use of a condom, in order to remove the impurity ascribed to her after her husband’s death. Luo couples, including widows, are also expected to engage in sex preceding specific agricultural activities, building homes, funerals, weddings, and other significant cultural and social events. Widows who are inherited for the purpose of fulfilling cultural obligation have a higher prevalence of HIV than those who remain un-inherited or are inherited for the purpose of companionship.

Need I add? Na it's a paying job. Hata topic pekee yake haukushikanisha. Inheritance comes AFTER cleansing.

Stori ya underage ndio iko tofauti labda. Hatujui nini inafanyika zaidi ya hapo considering bado kuna watu wana valisha teenage daughters beads as a mark kisha wanaume wote wa kijiji wana mrape in the name of initiating her. Hiyo ni Kenya bado.
It doesnt mean that the author is accurate, okay. Look at the first statements of article

Introduction: The customs of widow cleansing and widow inheritance are practiced in several communities throughout sub-Saharan Africa.

Yes, the author could be assuming that what is practiced in the other cultures is what is happening in the luo culture as well.

Read this other article regarding the same
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Luo_Wife_Inheritance

Let me tell u something else I forgot to mention to u, that in the luo culture, just like in many other tradiditional African cultures there is no such thing as cousins, aunts, uncles, step-dads and step-mums. Your cousins are simply your brothers and sisters, your aunts and uncles are your parents, and your fathers other wives are simply your mothers. Upon his death, the man, (who must be a member of that family) is also your dad, not step-dad.

Muafrika2, this practice is called wife inheritance, meaning the property that belonged to the man should be shared out amongst the pipo within his family, not the outsiders. A woman in the luo tradition was considered the property of the man who paid the dowry to acquire her. All his possessions, including lands, cattle, house(s), wives, children etc therefore had to fall into the care of a man/men within the family, approved especially by the man as capable of taking care of his belongings, taking care of his wife/wives and children upon his death.

No outsiders are allowed to come and take over the possession of the dead man's belongings, it doesnt work that way. Only the man's brothers (which include his cousins) are eligible to claim inheritance.

Inheritance comes AFTER cleansing- That is nonsense. That doesnt happen. I have never ever heard that there are pipo paid to 'cleanse' a woman b4 thier eventual inheritance. Yours, just like the report author's claim, are based on assumptions.
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by Beey(f): 4:05pm On Jul 26, 2016
Hbuyosh:
Huyu @muafrika2 ni kuropokwa anaropokwa. Waluo wao hufanya tu wife inheritance, sio kitu same na kitu hawa watu wamalawi wanado, ati msee kulipwa kusleep na madem, hata watoi ati ndio kuwacleanse. Kwanza the widows in jakaland wanainheritiwa na mmoja wa mabros wa huyo jamaa amededi. Hiyo kitu ati mtu analipwa kucleanse mamanzi haiko kwa mila ya wajaka! Kwanza hata hiyo ya kuinherit mawidowz pia inaisha isha places mob huko juu ya AIDS, Christianity, urbanization na good education.
Mmmmmmh, Hata sijasikia kuhusu cleansing among the Luos.If the practice exists among them, then am unaware.Lakini kuna hatari nyingi sanA katika Mila zingine.Huyo Avina Amekuwa Chombo cha kueneza ukimwi.Very Sad!

1 Like

Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by lollybae(f): 2:21pm On Aug 04, 2016
gunuvi:
I want to be a hyena too. Who knows where Malawian embassy dey grin >sad >sad cheesy grin
hi
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by gunuvi(m): 2:29pm On Aug 04, 2016
lollybae:
hi
hello
Re: Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls by lollybae(f): 2:33pm On Aug 04, 2016
gunuvi:

hello
sorry to disturb u sir, I just didn't want to spam ur mentions so I thought it would be respectful contacting u personally.

I need ur singular vote for falconey for Mr nairaland on saturday whch is d finals.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Macron Of France Is A Fool! - Trump / Yahya Jammeh Arrives Airport For His Departure. Photos / Lindokuhle Dlamini Kissing Jacob Zuma's Lookalike, Calls Him 'Sugar Daddy'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.