Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,786 members, 7,827,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

10 Jamaican Slangs You Need To Know. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 10 Jamaican Slangs You Need To Know. (3853 Views)

17-Year-Old Jamaican Lesbian Thanks Jesus For Life Celebrates Birthday In Bikini / Jamaican Man Proposes To His Nigerian Girlfriend In A Romantic Way In The UK / Nigerian Lady Gets Engaged To A Jamaican Guy After Meeting Him In US. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Jamaican Slangs You Need To Know. by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jul 22, 2016
“ Likkle More

English Translation:
See You Later
Definition
This is one of the most popular goodbye expressions normally used by a Jamaican. If you ever had a conversation with a Jamaican, you’ve probably heard him utter this phrase at one point or the other. The literal translation of “likkle more” is “little more” but when used as a goodbye expression it means “see you later”. Alternatively, “likkle more” may also be said as “lilli more”

Example Sentences
(Patois) Mi deh leff, likkle more
(English) I am leaving, see you later

“ Wah gwaan

English Translation:
What’s going on or what’s up
Definition
Pronounced as “waa gwaan”, the literal translation is “what’s going on” but when used as a greeting, it can also mean “What’s up”. Different variation of “Wah gwaan” may be used but they all have the same meaning. These include; wah deh gwaan, whatta gwaan or waguan (pronounced wa-goo-ahn).

Example Sentences
(Patois) Wah gwaan wid yuh todeh?
(English) What’s going on with you today?
“ Pree

English Translation:
Check Out
Definition
To take notice or pay close attention someone or something.

Example Sentences
(Patois) Wen mi guh a club a bai man deh pree mi
(English) When I go to the club a lot of guys are checking me out

“ Mi deh yah

English Translation:
I am here
Definition
Slang expression usually used in response to a greeting expression like “How are you doing” or “What’s going on”. While the literal translation for this term is “I am here”, its implied meaning is similar to the expressions “I’m good”, “Not much happening so I am just here”, “Everything is ok” etc…

Example Sentences
(Patois) Nothing nah gwaan adi paati but mi deh yah deh chill anyway
(English) Nothing is going on at the party but I’m here chilling anyway

“ Pickney

English Translation:
Child
Definition
Means child or children.

Example Sentences
(Patois) Dem yah nowadays pickney waah fi bi like big people instead a actin dem age
(English) These nowadays children want to be like grown-ups instead of acting their age

“ Irie

Definition
Rastafarian slang use to describe when one is feeling good; everything is alright

Example Sentences
(Patois) Mi nuh really hav much fi complain bout, mi life irie
(English) I don’t really have much to complain about, my life is alright
“ Obeah

English Translation:
Spell
Definition
The witchcraft or black magic that is practice by some in Jamaica. Annie Palmer (The White Witch of Rose hall) was an infamous practitioner of this dark magic.

Example Sentences
(Patois) Nuh matta how haad mi try, mi cyaah get ova har, it cummin like she obeah mi
(English) No matter how hard I try, I can’t get over her, it’s like she has cast a spell on me

“ Gyal

English Translation:
Girl

Example Sentences
(Patois) Yow bredda! Who dah gyal deh ova deh suh?
(English) Hey brother! Who’s that girl over there?

“ Yardie

English Translation:
Jamaican
Definition
Slang term used to refer a Jamaican or Jamaican descents that live aboard, typically in the United Kingdom. Additionally the term “yardie” may refer to a gang consisting predominantly of Jamaicans criminals who are involved in activities such as dealing drugs and acquiring illicit money.

Example Sentences
(Patois) Get mi a beef patty fram di yardie restaurant
(English) Get me a beef patty from the Jamaican restaurant

“ Bredren

English Translation:
Brethren
Definition
Slang for anyone who is a friend or colleague.

Example Sentences
(Patois) Mi bredren and mi did a party di wul nite
(English) My friend and I was partying the whole night
Re: 10 Jamaican Slangs You Need To Know. by boss096(m): 8:31pm On Jul 22, 2016
Re: 10 Jamaican Slangs You Need To Know. by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jul 22, 2016
Bombo clat. tongue
Re: 10 Jamaican Slangs You Need To Know. by DickDastardly(m): 9:06pm On Jul 22, 2016
Wadadai grin
Re: 10 Jamaican Slangs You Need To Know. by Nickymezor(f): 10:08pm On Jul 22, 2016
I love Jah kiss
Re: 10 Jamaican Slangs You Need To Know. by pitadgenius(m): 10:40pm On Jul 22, 2016
cool....but why in romance section @op??

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: She Is Big, Bold, Beautiful & Fair / Lovely Pre-wedding Pictures Of A Pregnant Woman And Her Husband-to-be / Groom Where Aunty Sleep With Groom To Test His Potency Before Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.