Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP (993 Views)

Akeredolu Receives Instrument Of Office From Mimiko (Photos) / Bill To Separate AGF From Justice minister Passes Second Reading / Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by odiks: 4:16am On Jul 25, 2016
Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, weekend, said former President Goodluck Jonathan frustrated efforts to separate office of the Attorney-General of the Federation from that of Minister of Justice by refusing to assent to the amendment that would have brought it about.

According to him, it is necessary to separate both offices, if Nigerians still desire that justice delivery must be strengthened in the country.

Ekweremadu, who disclosed this to journalists during a tour of the construction site of national headquarters of Nigeria Bar Association, NBA, Abuja, said the proposal to separate the two offices actually sailed through during the last amendment, but did not see the light of the day because the Forth Alteration Bill containing it was not assented to by Jonathan.

He explained that the separation of the two offices would make whoever was appointed the AGF to work for the people and not necessarily the government in power as a cabinet minister, saying that would ensure access to justice by citizens, devoid of any external influence.

When separated, AGF will work for the people

Ekweremadu said: “I believe in the separation of the two offices. I go for it any time, any day. This is because it will guarantee financial independence, security of tenure, and make the holder of the office of the Attorney-General at the state and federal levels to be autonomous in thinking and approach to the idea of justice.

“It will ensure that citizens have access to justice, since the officer will not be dictated to by any external interest or influence.

“During the last constitution amendment, we (members of the Senate Committee on the Review of the 1999 Constitution in the 7th National Assembly) recommended it to our colleagues, based on inputs from Nigerians, and they graciously adopted it.

“Unfortunately, the last President did not sign it. Although, we will be looking at all the issues again, the decision on the separation, or any other issue for that matter, will depend on what other colleagues and Nigerians would think. But as a person, I strongly believe in it.”

It would be recalled that the National Conference Standing Committee on Law, Judiciary and Human Rights had in April 2014 during the National Conference, adopted a recommendation for the separation of the office of Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation.

Deputy Chairman of the committee, Prof Auwalu Yadudu, who made this known then, had said the recommendation was to ensure the independence of the office of the Attorney-General from political influence.

According to him, the two offices should not be occupied by an individual in order to ensure justice.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/jonathan-frustrated-move-separate-agfs-office-justice-ministers-ekweremadu/
Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by HungerBAD: 4:18am On Jul 25, 2016
For a Deputy Senate President,

This Guy's Mouth is very wide. Everyday he is in the News, maybe he thinks he is the Senate President. This one wey Ekweremadu dey blame the Clueless one so?are you guys thinking what i am thinking?

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by kahal29: 4:33am On Jul 25, 2016
Oga DSP so you have joined those who blame Jonathan for everything. ... OK Oooo
Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by modath(f): 4:34am On Jul 25, 2016
The long and short of this tales by moonlight is your forgery case. We've been asked not to blame perfect saint Jonathan for anything ever again. Hero knows best. Kip kwayet.. cool

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by Nobody: 4:46am On Jul 25, 2016
God punish GEJ for looting our oil money dry while many Nigerians can't get salaries. God punish his wife sad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by babdap: 5:05am On Jul 25, 2016
DSP is now a zombie.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by Tolexander: 5:48am On Jul 25, 2016
DSP is right on this.

Let them separate the two offices. That will not still prevent him from being prosecuted for the crime.
Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by Onix01: 5:49am On Jul 25, 2016
Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by Nobody: 5:50am On Jul 25, 2016
Jona-daft the ineffectual buffoon did the right thing for once.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by Nobody: 5:51am On Jul 25, 2016
mrkayusfit:
God punish GEJ for looting our oil money dry while many Nigerians can't get salaries. God punish his wife sad
Amen

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by blackpanda: 5:54am On Jul 25, 2016
Story

Why didnt u fight for the seperation then?? You guys now want to seperate the office so that u can bully the AGF into dropping your case. Sorry it wont work! Face ur case in court
Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by Onix01: 5:54am On Jul 25, 2016
Cc
Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by blackpanda: 5:57am On Jul 25, 2016
Onix01:
Why place a curse on a man who has been quietly living his life without interfering into the current regime as some other presidents do. What if I seek for God punishment upon you? May God guide you aright. I'm not a fan of that man, but I strongly believe he meant well for this great nation. God Bless Nigeria!!!

He meant well by dashing one individual $2.1billion Abeg go and sleep. Sycophancy is one of our biggest problem in nigeria. You will always have ppeople encouraging thieves and looters. What will u say if Buhari gives mamman daura N100million. Am sure u will be one of the loudest mouth to criticize. Mtscheww

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by modath(f): 6:00am On Jul 25, 2016
Tolexander:
There is really a need to separate the two offices. Three arms of government, Executive, Legislative and Judiciary.

Constitution claims the 3 arms are independent, but the head of the Judiciary arm is still the Minister of Justice, a part of the cabinet and the executives appointed by the President and can be dropped or changed in the cabinet reshuffling.
What is now the independence in the arm that can be manipulated at will by the President?

What about the CJN, if AGN is the head?

Do you see the SC bowing to the AG's whims? If that is the case, can you justify SC's ruling on SCR?

Caveat... I want both roles seperated, it allows for abuse of office and priviledges.
Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by kahal29: 6:08am On Jul 25, 2016
blackpanda:
Story

Why didnt u fight for the seperation then?? You guys now want to seperate the office so that u can bully the AGF into dropping your case. Sorry it wont work! Face ur case in court

Hahaha.. .. Story Story.. .. .. Story
Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by kahal29: 6:09am On Jul 25, 2016
babdap:
DSP is now a zombie.

If you ask me.. . Na who I go ask

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by OlujobaSamuel: 7:10am On Jul 25, 2016
gej performed at utmost capacity during his last days in office. Not signing that bundles of paper called constitution amendment bill is the best decision of his time in office.
Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by odiks: 7:56am On Jul 25, 2016
blackpanda:
Story

Hahaha
Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by omenka(m): 8:33am On Jul 25, 2016
modath:

The long and short of this tales by moonlight is your forgery case. We've been asked not to blame perfect saint Jonathan for anything ever again. Hero knows best. Kip kwayet.. cool
Make him blothers catch am dey try hit their Helo with pillow first. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by modath(f): 9:47am On Jul 25, 2016
omenka:
Make him blothers catch am dey try hit their Helo with pillow first. cheesy

You kilt it with helo. cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Frustrated Move To Separate Agf’s Office From Justice Minister’s – DSP by funlord(m): 10:59am On Jul 25, 2016
angry
Onix01:
Why place a curse on a man who has been quietly living his life without interfering into the current regime as some other presidents do. What if I seek for God punishment upon you? May God guide you aright. I'm not a fan of that man, but I strongly believe HE MEANT WELL for this great nation. God Bless Nigeria!!!

By sharing most of the money that would have ensured a better life for you and your loved ones and other nigerians to greedy criminals to use in buying cars, watches, jets, properties and _fuck bitches with and further his personal self centred ambition abi?

Will you just sharrap!

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian National Assembly: The Madhouse Of A Nation- Sahara Repoters / Fayose - Whatever You Sow, You Will Reap; Ekiti People Will Forever Remember Me / Obama Flew Over Nigeria To See How Far With The Promised Change (funny Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.