Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,981 members, 7,814,337 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu (21431 Views)

Door Of Holy Kaabah Opened For Bagudu, Kebbi Governor, His Entourage In Mecca / Obiano, Emefiele, Bagudu, Ogbe Watching Anambra Rice Being Harvested-pictures / Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by Babzrockman: 5:38am On Jul 25, 2016
Business mogul, Alhaji Aliko Dangote’s plan to establish a sugar plantation and a factory in Kebbi State may have hit the rock, as indigenous land owners, who are mostly farmers, have refused to release their farm land.

Governor Abubakar Atiku Bagudu said this at an interactive session with intellectuals of Kebbi State origin working at Usman Danfodiyo University, Sokoto. The session was held at the university’s auditorium. Also in attendance were members of the Kebbi State Students’ Union, UDUS chapter.

Governor Bagudu said that even at the offer of compensation, the farmers tenaciously held on to their land, saying that Dangote’s investment will not serve their interest.

He said, “Dangote Industries’ application for 54,000 hectares of land to establish a sugar factory pre-dated my administration, but they could only identify about 24,000 hectares suitable for sugar cane cultivation.

“When we came on board, there was pressure on us because all of those 24,000 hectares belong to farmers. And the proposal we met on ground was that those farmers would be paid compensation of about a hundred thousand naira per hectare.”

He said further, “As a government, the whole cabinet looked at the proposal. Our concern is, you are going to pay a farmer hectare of land where he produces his crops. You will be making an income of 700,000 a year where he has been making 100,000 and make him a labourer forever. How as a social policy can you justify this opportunity cost?

“What is the net contribution in output that this investment is going to bring, for instance, if you are replacing your current production of rice by the production of sugar cane?

“Let there be no mistakes about it, we welcome investors and we thank Dangote Industries for identifying Kebbi as one of those states he wants to invest in. But above all, the most important thing is the need to ensure that investments serve and benefit our people.

“We hope to convince Dangote that there are other ways this can be done to have better security for his investment, like agreeing that our farmers become his out-growers and he buys from them for production in his factory.”

On adding value to rice and wheat production, which the state is noted for, Governor Bagudu explained that his administration built two models whereby a farmer, given sufficient inputs without subsidy, would inevitably achieve better outcome than a farmer receiving subsidy but insufficient inputs.

“When we tested this by interacting with farmers, we were surprised by their acceptance of adequate inputs without subsidy versus subsidy without adequate inputs,” he said.

He identified lack of human resources, inadequate infrastructure and apathy to developmental values on the part of youths as problems of education in the state.

Bagudu also used the occasion to outline remarkable achievements his administration had recorded since assumption of office.

The event with over 40 Kebbi State indigenously ranked professors and others in attendance was chaired by Prof. Abdullahi Abdu Zuru, Vice-Chancellor, Usman Danfodiyo University, Sokoto, also an indigene of Kebbi State.

http://punchng.com/kebbi-denies-dangote-land-bagudu/

17 Likes

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by HungerBAD: 5:39am On Jul 25, 2016
Smart Governor.

Gone are the days "Northerners" are termed stupid.

Thanks to the Mod that corrected my wrong word. God bless you.

96 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by Ayomel(m): 5:49am On Jul 25, 2016
Good citizen. Thanks for investing in the country we know a lot of people that invest in other country.
Pls mr Dangote kindly look south they will offer u land.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by Nobody: 6:11am On Jul 25, 2016
he should buy Osun State up...... very unviable State.... Very intelligent governor Kebbi has. MNC's are evil.

Ayomel:
Good citizen. Thanks for investing in the country we know a lot of people that invest in other country.

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by Juxtified(m): 6:34am On Jul 25, 2016
The state governor is right to an extent, you can't take away the lands of self employed farmers and convert them to perpetual employees.
But why didn't he source for another land area for Dangote? You know the massive investment opportunities a sugar factory belonging to someone like Dangote can attract to your sleeping state? The taxes, jobs, IGR? Look at what is going on today at the Lekki Free Trade Zone, a major source of confidence for investors trooping there en masse is the Dangote Refinery.
I believe he should have sold some government land instead or otherwise played some bureaucratic hardball to keep that blessed economic crusader in the state.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by babyfaceafrica: 6:35am On Jul 25, 2016
Hmmmm...100k for an acre?..that's a joke

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by Caseless: 6:41am On Jul 25, 2016
Too many brilliant governors in the north.

I can imagine what these men would do if they had oil in their states. Unlike lazy people down there who want 100% resource control before they can build a drainage system for their people.

78 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by Nobody: 6:44am On Jul 25, 2016
Crude people, your children will not forgive you

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by realborn(m): 6:48am On Jul 25, 2016
Such an interesting and very educative article.

It is better they lease the land at no cost to Dangote as equity to the business and all share profit annually.

God bless the governor for standing with his people. Very apt and intelligent questions posed to Dangote. 100k for an hectare? Damn!

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by Oasis007(m): 6:57am On Jul 25, 2016
grin

He should offer Osun State the opportunity..... and I'm pretty sure he's not gonna regret, coz he's definitely gonna get the Acres as much as he needs for FREE!!!

They are simply do not understand the opportunity they are about to miss!

undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by mountlarry: 7:08am On Jul 25, 2016
Smart! The governor supports the people not giving up their lands for a private business. But they will support the giving of herdsmen farm lands belonging to farmers
Babzrockman:
.”

He said further, “As a government, the whole cabinet looked at the proposal. Our concern is, you are going to pay a farmer hectare of land where he produces his crops. You will be making an income of 700,000 a year where he has been making 100,000 and make him a labourer forever. How as a social policy can you justify this opportunity cost?

http://punchng.com/kebbi-denies-dangote-land-bagudu/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by bonechamberlain(m): 7:11am On Jul 25, 2016
Na wa o, 100,000 for a hectare, this dangote sef, well it shows his people are becoming wiser.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by Nobody: 7:19am On Jul 25, 2016
You want to buy a hectare of land for commercial use at 100k? Seriously? That's the worst form of penny pinching.
We appreciate Dangote for his investments buh he has to money to pay premium for the land.

The governor's analogy makes sense, those above me critiquing him should go retake Econs in WAEC. The governor has his people's best interest at heart, unlike some rogue southern governors who because they have received brown envelope would forcefully take away the land citing an obsolete land use act and then force the compensation down the farmers' throats.

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by mrvitalis(m): 7:21am On Jul 25, 2016
Dangote is my mentor and I share his ideas... But with the level he is now... I don't think he needs to own farms again
Introduce this crop to this farmers and show them u will buy from them, u sign an agreement to he the sole buyer of the product at fixed price (that will be reviewed after very 3 years)
This way u have a constant supply and the farmers are independent.... And very happy
But the truth is am disappointed in dangote still trying to produce sugar from sugarcane... For real.. When we don't have the land... Men beets will give us all the sugar we need with just 200,000 hectares...
While am coming.... Just watch out for the name MRVITALIS

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by Nobody: 7:22am On Jul 25, 2016
mountlarry:
Smart! The governor supports the people not giving up their lands for a private business. But they will support the giving of herdsmen farm lands belonging to farmers
My brother it's too early to wail hopelessly, tell your governors to also fight for their people's interest, that's why you voted them in. This is an example of how the north stands as one, unlike you so-called sophisticated southerners who would easily betray even your brothers and parents for a few coins or selfish interest.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by Flyingngel(m): 7:47am On Jul 25, 2016
[quote author=Caseless post=47862135]Too many brilliant governors in the north.

I can imagine what these men would do if they had oil in their states. Unlike lazy people down there who want 100% resource control before they can build a drainage system for their people.

U were making sense until u divert to insults. So d whole of Niger Deltan are lazy? In as much as i don't support this incessant bombing but i knw if this crude oil were to b at ur back by now u in particular would b telling who care to listen that resource control is d best. Pls tell them to give us control of our resources even if we use it to play Niger Bet it is nobody business. Always put urself in other people problem before talking. Thank u.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by Kelvin3028(m): 8:38am On Jul 25, 2016
Its simple. They don't want progress.
Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by Integrityfarms(m): 8:38am On Jul 25, 2016
Ayomel:
You can as well offer him land in your lagoon, Brownies!

2 Likes

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by kings09(m): 8:40am On Jul 25, 2016
#100k per hectare? undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by 400billionman: 8:40am On Jul 25, 2016
The governor acknowledges that power belongs to the people..

Some leaders are lawless but they do not know it thereby misusing authorithy assigned to them by the masses.

N100,000 per hectare annually to the land owners is pardonable as it makes them part owners of the business but N100,000 one off sale of the land is ridiculous.

5 Likes

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by agitator: 8:41am On Jul 25, 2016
sapiosexual1:
You want to buy a hectare of land for commercial use at 100k? Seriously? That's the worst form of penny pinching.
We appreciate Dangote for his investments buh he has to money to pay premium for the land.

The governor's analogy makes sense, those above me critiquing him should go retake Econs in WAEC. The governor has his people's best interest at heart, unlike some rogue southern governors who because they have received brown envelope would forcefully take away the land citing an obsolete land use act and then force the compensation down the farmers' throats.

hmmmmmmmmmm, the Northerners are always smart. Education wise, they may not be at par with the South, but always think smart. If this had been in the south south, governors would have even used military to forcefully take the land. The exact thing Amaechi did in Ogoni land. The same people who are refusing to allow Dangote use farmlands for his business, want to use federal might and money take over fertile farmlands down south for cattle grazing reserves which is a personal biz. So, farmers will use their spittle to purchase beef to feed their families. undecided undecided undecided

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by Pavore9: 8:42am On Jul 25, 2016
N100K for one hectare and they go back to the land as labourers, it makes no sense!

1 Like

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by royalfamily(m): 8:43am On Jul 25, 2016
All we just need is wisdom everything is not money money , this is a governor who sees the intrest of his citizens as his priority n not of a business mogul. ..I don't know anything about kebbi state governor buh with this piece he has won my heart. .....I know of some greedy governors in south west who won't put the priority of their citizen into consideration. ...push like if u agree with me.

15 Likes

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by Proffdada: 8:43am On Jul 25, 2016
That move maybe retrogressive undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by RichYoungNigga: 8:44am On Jul 25, 2016
E be like say this Dangote dey like use poor people

3 Likes

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by admindim: 8:44am On Jul 25, 2016
good intiative
Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by Doctorbrains01(m): 8:45am On Jul 25, 2016
A governor that puts the interest of his people at heart

2 Likes

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by shamsuRana(m): 8:47am On Jul 25, 2016
sapiosexual1:

My brother it's too early to wail hopelessly, tell your governors to also fight for their people's interest, that's why you voted them in. This is an example of how the north stands as one, unlike you so-called sophisticated southerners who would easily betray even your brothers and parents for a few coins or selfish interest.

nice one.
and when told the truth,they resort to bigotry and other forms of wisdomless attitudes,as defense.

3 Likes

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by rildwanullahi(m): 8:49am On Jul 25, 2016
Oasis007:
grin

He should offer Osun State the opportunity..... and I'm pretty sure he's not gonna regret, coz he's definitely gonna get the Acres as much as he needs for FREE!!!

They are simply do not understand the opportunity they are about to miss!

undecided
My brother you Don't understand the article try to and see that the model proposed is the best and not outright purchase by Mr dangote
Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by enigma2007(m): 8:49am On Jul 25, 2016
Proffdada:
That move maybe retrogressive undecided

I don't think so! Dangote should offer them a better deal... Why would i trade my land for 100k when i can probably make that and more while still owning that same land..

Very smart of the gov...

1 Like

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by vRendoh(m): 8:49am On Jul 25, 2016
grin
Lesson one to Bubu government that want to acquire land for fulani herdsmen in other states.

3 Likes

Re: Why Kebbi Denies Dangote Land –bagudu by Greenback: 8:50am On Jul 25, 2016
HungerBAD:
Smart Governor.

Gone are the days "ABOKI" are termed stupid.

yes,unlike those sophisticated zombies who,as is their pre occupation and way of life,since the days of afonja(who was later kicked in the nyansh and depoted and exiled from his own land by their masters,fulanis,whose arsses they luv kissing and licking with passion),sold off and away a huge parcel of their future land to dangote,while telling anyone who care to listin that dangote wants to build refinery,that very soon,the west will be producing diesel tabi na pms....

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bashir Ahmaad Picks APC House Of Reps Nomination Form / NNPC To Discontinue Crude Swap, Targets Cash Payments For Petrol Imports / Babachir Lawal: Our Appointments Not Based On Tribes, Faith

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.