Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,511 members, 7,861,455 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 12:38 PM

Unveiled: The Five Serial Killers Of A Relationship - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Unveiled: The Five Serial Killers Of A Relationship (890 Views)

Chicken Herbs Pepper Soup For Ladies To Make A Guy Theirs Forever Unveiled / Serial Boyfriend Snatcher About To Be Disgraced By Her Angry Friends In Lagos / Ten(10) Things Those In A Relationship Can Relate With. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unveiled: The Five Serial Killers Of A Relationship by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jul 25, 2016
Every relationship faces challenges every now and then. These challenges are often associated with communication; it could be the awful things we said or the soothing words we refused to say. Often times, the things we fight about may not even be the immediate causes of the fight; most quarrels begin a long time inside our minds before we spill out our guts.

Most problems begin due to an accumulation of undisclosed issues; either because we refused to speak up or we didn’t just find an opportunity to say something. Then, one day, we have a big fight and we call it quits; the relationship is over and we move on.

How many of us actually think of the real killers of our relationships? I know some of us try to analyse the breakup to find out what went wrong but not all of us succeed in finding out the truth; we can only assume or find entirely different reasons to attach to our breakup. There are usually 5 silent killers of a relationship; I call them silent because they often start out small and then grow into an inferno that we can’t curb.

1. LACK OF COMMUNICATION:

This is the number one killer of a relationship. I have always said that communication is vital to every relationship; it is like a backbone that supports it. Lack of communication breeds a lot of nuances that are not healthy to any relationship. If you don’t talk extensively with someone, how would you get answers to all the questions dancing around in your head? If you don’t ask questions, how would you clear up all the doubts in your mind? If you think your partner is up to something fishy, why don’t you sit him down and talk things through?

I’ve met couples who don’t discuss personal issues; they only talk about family related problems. They see themselves as life partners but not friends; they always avoid discussing personal issues that really bother them. Gradually, they begin to harbour doubts, have big fights and walk out on each other.

I strongly believe communication is essential in every relationship. Don’t become a mind reader; talk to your partner and find out what he’s really up to. Don’t just sit down and expect him to always make the first move in settling disputes. If he upsets you, tell him about it in a cool manner instead of bearing grudges against him for centuries and giving him the silent treatment because one day, you’ll just erupt into tiny pieces and it would be too late.

2. INSECURITY:

It takes a secure and confident person to love someone genuinely. It isn’t enough to say you love someone when you don’t first love yourself. When you constantly feel uncertain, unsafe and apprehensive of loss, how do you really expect someone to stay with you?

How do you expect your partner to accept you the way you are when you’re always too conscious of yourself? How would someone truly love you when you always find flaws in yourself even when there aren't any? How would your partner desire you when you don’t feel desirable or lovable? He could try to reassure you about his love for you but at some point, he’ll begin to feel irritated with your insecurity issues.

Beauty and self-worth have to start from within before it can radiate on others and touch people’s lives. Learn to love yourself just the way you are before expecting another person to adore you. Don’t wait for someone else to make you complete; be complete so you can support each other.

3. ASSUMPTIONS:

As expected with insecurity and lack of communication comes crazy assumptions. Because you don’t communicate well with your partner, you give room for imagination and assumptions. You begin to create scenarios when nothing is going on and you start reading signs in everything your man does. If he comes home a minute late, you’ll assume he was hanging out with his other girlfriend.
If you spot a brown stain on his shirt, you will assume he must have hugged a lady intimately and her powder stained his shirt. If he forgets an appointment you both made, then obviously he was preoccupied with someone else who is undeniably a lady. Even when he gives a friend or colleague a lift, you’ll assume he is sleeping with her. The assumptions continue nonstop and lead to jealousy.

4. JEALOUSY:

As a result of your assumptions and crazy scenarios, you begin to track him and analyse everything he does or says. Everything he does is associated with a tinge of jealousy. If he takes a business partner to lunch, you get jealous. If he hugs his best friend, you get envious; if he chats too long with his childhood friend, you get furious. Even when he doesn't give you a reason to doubt him, you create them for yourself.

You never seem to accept the fact that this person loves you and cares for you deeply. Even when he visits a divorcee, you feel she will snatch him away from you. Of course, your friends are not even allowed to visit when your man is around because you feel they would flirt with him and he’ll cheat on you.

5. TRUST ISSUES:

This issue kind of stems out from insecurity; that feeling of being undesirable and unworthy, wrong assumptions and jealousy. When you feel awful about yourself, you begin to feel skeptical about your partner and your relationship in general. Because you don’t love yourself enough, you don’t believe anyone can love you. So even when you meet a good guy who goes through hell to prove his love for you, you still push him away. Why? You don’t trust him; you don’t understand why someone as kind and handsome as him could possibly want you. You don’t feel you deserve his love, so you do everything you can to push him faraway.

You may even begin to ask irrelevant questions like “what is this confident young man doing with me “a fat ugly duckling when he has better choices outside?” This is because you’re not looking at the real man inside; you’re simply fixated on the person you see outside.
Gradually, you will become suspicious of him. If he talks to any girl on the phone, it has to be one of his side chicks. Even when he travels, you think he has a mistress elsewhere. If he comes back late from work, he must have been chilling with another lady. You keep creating scenes in your head until one day, everything comes to light.

These 5 relationship killers are inevitable; they usually spring up as a way of testing how strong your relationship is. The key to overcoming all of this is honest communication. Don’t assume the intentions of your spouse; you’re not a mind reader. You’re allowed to assume but after assuming, please discuss your doubts with your partner. If you feel skeptical or confused about something, discuss it with your partner. Talk to your spouse as soon as issues come up in order to avoid unnecessary accumulation of issues.

Personally, I’ve gained a lot from opening up and communicating my real feelings to my partner. I prefer being told the bitter truth from the onset to finding it out later; it hurts to hear the truth from outside. The inability to communicate honestly with your spouse shows a lack of trust and commitment in a relationship. We can avoid this relationship killers by simply communicating truthfully.

What do you think?

To see more on relationships and romance click >>>www.momentswithjenny..com/2016/07/the-5-serial-killers-of-relationship.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unveiled: The Five Serial Killers Of A Relationship by AmuEwu: 3:24am On Jul 26, 2016
Bull shiiit
Re: Unveiled: The Five Serial Killers Of A Relationship by rosy4u(f): 8:57am On Jul 26, 2016
I've learnt a lot.. Thanks smiley
Re: Unveiled: The Five Serial Killers Of A Relationship by GoldenJAT(m): 9:11am On Jul 26, 2016
cool points!
Re: Unveiled: The Five Serial Killers Of A Relationship by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jul 31, 2016
rosy4u:
I've learnt a lot.. Thanks smiley

you welcome
Re: Unveiled: The Five Serial Killers Of A Relationship by NancyMathews(f): 12:31am On Aug 01, 2016
Very nice and informative smiley
Re: Unveiled: The Five Serial Killers Of A Relationship by Nobody: 7:42am On Aug 01, 2016
grin
NancyMathews:
Very nice and informative smiley

(1) (Reply)

Respect In An Overrated And Irritating Manner... / 4 Nigerian Songs You’ve Been Singing Wrong Your Entire Life / For Ladies: 5 Things To Do That Will Turn Him On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.