Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,590 members, 7,816,455 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:29 AM

New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? (24920 Views)

New Naira Notes Ready September Ending – CBN / Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription / The New Naira Coins And Polymer Notes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by no21: 11:27pm On Sep 19, 2009
Seun:

I don't care about the arabic.  I don't think anyone does.

Main discussion here: CBN To Issue New Polymer Notes: ₦5, ₦10, & ₦50

He's definitely not as popular as the Pope, but who is Mr. Olubunmi Okogie?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-324849.0.html

mr seun

you are begining to sound like an idiot and a muslim fanatic

maybe you should stay off nairaland for a while
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by sheriffman(m): 11:38pm On Sep 19, 2009
becomrich,:

Everybody in nigeria knows that is what sanusi is upto. When did we as Nigerian agree to arabic . We never did. It is wrong.

i also agree with u there
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by gadogado(m): 11:42pm On Sep 19, 2009
@all

Let me first start by deconstructing your logic and proving to you that this "arabic" on the naira is something that you should keep quiet about, why the fuss in the first place.
look,
1. the weekend in nigeria is saturday and sunday
2. sunday is the holy day for christians and their day of worship
3. this was inherited or borrowed from the british colonialists who were christians and successfully converted a large portion of people to christianity
4. in the middle east where there are predominantly muslim populations, thursdays and fridays are the weekend to enable muslims prepare for our holy day of friday.
5. nigeria has a majority muslim population, yet the weekend does not reflect the majority religion and their day of worship unlike countries like egypt who have majority muslim population with a substantial christian population where the weekend is still thursday and friday.
6. in lebanon where there is a 50-50 ratio between the muslim and christian populations, the weekends are fridays and sundays unlike nigeria where the weekend is saturday and sunday albeit nigeria's muslim majority
7.do you see or hear any muslims complaining? that the national weekend is favorable to one religion, why do i have to go to work on my holy day while  the christian gets to relax, is that fair?
8. this thing about arabic on the naira, if you give an arab 10 naira, he wont understand the arabic inscription on it because it is not in his language, hausas have been using arabic alphabets as a means of writing, communication and literacy for centuries, way before colonialists set foot in nigeria and converted our sourthern and some northern brothers to christianity, look up "ajami" this is hausa language in arabic borrowed alphabets, is there anything wrong in placing a symbol or northern culture  and literacy on the naira? are northerners not equally nigerians?
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by no21: 11:55pm On Sep 19, 2009
gadogado:

@all

Let me first start by deconstructing your logic and proving to you that this "arabic" on the naira is something that you should keep quiet about, why the fuss in the first place.
look,
3. this was inherited or borrowed from the british colonialists who were christians and successfully converted a large portion of people to christianity
4. in the middle east where there are predominantly muslim populations, thursdays and fridays are the weekend to enable muslims prepare for our holy day of friday.
5. nigeria has a majority muslim population, yet the weekend does not reflect the majority religion and their day of worship unlike countries like egypt who have majority muslim population with a substantial christian population where the weekend is still thursday and friday.
6. in lebanon where there is a 50-50 ratio between the muslim and christian populations, the weekends are fridays and sundays unlike nigeria where the weekend is saturday and sunday albeit nigeria's muslim majority
7.do you see or hear any muslims complaining? that the national weekend is favorable to one religion, why do i have to go to work on my holy day while  the christian gets to relax, is that fair?
8. this thing about arabic on the naira, if you give an arab 10 naira, he wont understand the arabic inscription on it because it is not in his language, hausas have been using arabic alphabets as a means of writing, communication and literacy for centuries, way before colonialists set foot in nigeria and converted our sourthern and some northern brothers to christianity, look up "ajami" this is hausa language in arabic borrowed alphabets, is there anything wrong in placing a symbol or northern culture  and literacy on the naira? are northerners not equally nigerians?

excellent, you idiot gave us two examples of countries in the middle east.
how does that concern us?
and how dare you refer to 80% uneducated fanatics as muslims ?

by the way, why did you people took up weapons when Biafra wanted to leave you alone to keep your thursdays holy ?

I dont know what your father told you about Nigerian Population but Niger republic is not among us
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by gadogado(m): 12:10am On Sep 20, 2009
@no21 or whatever

dont be a fool, we're having a serious conversation here, and you you those that begin insulting people dont have anything of substance to contribute. im giving you an example of countries with substantial muslim and christian populations similar to nigeria but you have nothing to say, what is uneducated, is education simple western? is that the only form of education? like i said, northerners have been using arabic for a long time as a means of literacy and education,like the 13th and 14th century, what were "biafrans doing then?infact you're not worth my time!so ill just stop here
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by Beaf: 12:17am On Sep 20, 2009
gadogado:

@all

look,
7.do you see or hear any muslims complaining? that the national weekend is favorable to one religion, why do i have to go to work on my holy day while the christian gets to relax, is that fair?
8. this thing about arabic on the naira, if you give an arab 10 naira, he wont understand the arabic inscription on it because it is not in his language, hausas have been using arabic alphabets as a means of writing, communication and literacy for centuries, way before colonialists set foot in nigeria and converted our sourthern and some northern brothers to christianity, look up "ajami" this is hausa language in arabic borrowed alphabets, is there anything wrong in placing a symbol or northern culture and literacy on the naira? are northerners not equally nigerians?

If any Muslim in the North want to mess off to the Middle East, fine. The rest of us will remain in West Africa (where geography says we are located).
Is it surprising that Boko Haram could rise in a place located in West Africa, but by some weird twist, thinks it is Middle Eastern?

About Muslims being the majority in Nigeria; everyone knows that there is no place on Earth where the desert produces a greater population than forest areas; except that in a very Nigerian miracle, every goat and cow up North have been counted as Muslims.

Large numbers of idiots up North do not realise that illitracy is a tool to keep them subjugated; and here you are, a literate Northerner (I presume) talking bullshit about Hausa's being able to read Arabic, but not English. Sorry, but Arabic is not one of Nigeria's ethnicities. Period.

Long and short is, it would be a fatal error to reintroduce Arabic on our currency. Read the signs; we don tire!
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by nduchucks: 12:24am On Sep 20, 2009
i see colo mentality dey for inside de reaction of many of una here. English no me una papa or mama language, yet almost all de writings wey dey on top naira is written in English. yet dat no reduce de value of money!  de announced scheme na to save us money sef because de notes go last longer - but many of una no see dat fact.

na from de lens of religious bigotry una take dey look.  if no be tribalism, na religion una take make excuse to express una folly.  

de ting wey una dey too lazy to find out be say, Soludo don already approve de new design and de using of de strong material on the said notes since last year. Even de framework for de establishment of Islamic banks was approved by Soludo before him leave office.   una no fit say all these tings na some vast Islamic conspiracy unless Soludo be moslem.

Barka da Sallah to all of una anyway.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by Beaf: 12:26am On Sep 20, 2009
^Read your constituition whether English is not our official language before waxing ignorance.
I've never read a more brainless comment.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by Nobody: 12:33am On Sep 20, 2009
Beaf:

^Read your constituition whether English is not our official language before waxing ignorance.
I've never read a more brainless comment.
seconded. . . grin
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by nduchucks: 12:37am On Sep 20, 2009
Don't be silly and petty. constitution no require say make all inscription on top naira be written in English. if na lie, make you site the section of de constitution wey talk am.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by Beaf: 12:44am On Sep 20, 2009
^
Anything on the Naira must be in Nigeria's official languages; except the Naira is no longer legal tender.

But you guys, shouldn't dare put that Arabic back. ARABIC IS NOT AN OFFICIAL LANGUAGE.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by soulamanne(m): 12:46am On Sep 20, 2009
if the idea is to change the paper ones to polymer,no wahala.but if somehow the arabic finds its way there,i will be disappointed in lamido.he will just put pressure on himself that he has religious inclinations.am a muslim so this is no issue of taking sides.the same way it was uncalled- for for soludo to have removed it is the same way it is uncalled-for for lamido to put it back.they shouldnt use our notes to write their personal ideas

abi na arab money lamido won effect? grin
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by nduchucks: 12:50am On Sep 20, 2009
Beaf:

^
Anything on the Naira must be in Nigeria's official languages; except the Naira is no longer legal tender.

But you guys, shouldn't dare put that Arabic back. ARABIC IS NOT AN OFFICIAL LANGUAGE.

Where inside constitution wey you take see say legal tender must have only english inscriptions? site de section, unless you dey too lazy to read de constitution wey you site for previous post. If dat na de case, den you are, wettin Yoruba dem dey call olodo.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by nduchucks: 12:53am On Sep 20, 2009
soulamanne:

if the idea is to change the paper ones to polymer,no wahala.but if somehow the arabic finds its way there,i will be disappointed in lamido.he will just put pressure on himself that he has religious inclinations.am a muslim so this is no issue of taking sides.the same way it was uncalled- for for soludo to have removed it is the same way it is uncalled-for for lamido to put it back.they shouldnt use our notes to write their personal ideas

abi na arab money lamido won effect? grin

people just dey talk wettin dem no know. Na Soludo and co, wey design and approve de new notes and na dem wey decide to se polymer. these people wey dey complain be religious bigots, shikena
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by kellorah: 12:54am On Sep 20, 2009
Middle East is just sweeting them too much sha.  shocked shocked shocked shocked

The solution to this nonsense is division. I don tire!!
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by holymike47(m): 12:56am On Sep 20, 2009
gadogado:

@all

look,
7.do you see or hear any muslims complaining? that the national weekend is favorable to one religion, why do i have to go to work on my holy day while the christian gets to relax, is that fair?
8. this thing about arabic on the naira, if you give an arab 10 naira, he wont understand the arabic inscription on it because it is not in his language, hausas have been using arabic alphabets as a means of writing, communication and literacy for centuries, way before colonialists set foot in nigeria and converted our sourthern and some northern brothers to christianity, look up "ajami" this is hausa language in arabic borrowed alphabets, is there anything wrong in placing a symbol or northern culture and literacy on the naira? are northerners not equally nigerians?

@gadogado
You are the most stupid idiot i have ever seen in a long while. See all the rubbish you said. Cow!!
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by Beaf: 12:57am On Sep 20, 2009
ndu_chucks:

Where inside constitution wey you take see say legal tender must have only english inscriptions? site de section, unless you dey too lazy to read de constitution wey you site for previous post. If dat na de case, den you are, wettin Yoruba dem dey call olodo.

Its common sense.

Would it not be foolish to have this on the Naira?
Chinese has as much in common with Nigeria as has any Arabic. Is it in the constituition not to have Chinese on the Naira?
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by auwal87(m): 1:05am On Sep 20, 2009
grin grin grin grin

Shud be Uniform! Let all the currencies look like Naira. (removem from 100, 200, 500, and 1000 naira notes if u wan removem from 5, 10, 20, and 50 as well).

The Arabic inscriptions are used to support about 10 Million NIGERIANS to identify the currencies.

By the way, Arabic is a nice one.

Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by azeezbaba(m): 1:07am On Sep 20, 2009
kingzli:

It would be really funny and foolish on the part of the central bank if those arabic inscriptions reappeared on the new note, That would divert attention from the real issue which is the durability of the naira. Reprinting the naira with the arabic inscriptions would raise questions about the central bank governor's motive and give the feeling that any central bank governor can play around with the naira however he chooses.

Why are we all bunch of religious fanatics? If a Christian airs his opinion he is not a fanatics but if a Muslim does, he is a Fanatics. Why are we not looking at the other side of the coin. Let's not start another religious crisis here. Arabic is not the reason behind the new naira notes period
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by nduchucks: 1:08am On Sep 20, 2009
Beaf, since you say na common sense, make you no misinform people. if you no sabi de tings wey dey inside constitution, den stop siting it where e no apply.  as far as we know, e no dey illegal or unconstitutional to put Arabic or Chinese characters on top naira.

so if dem put am, noting wey you fit do.  i no know why una dey so worked up sef, who cares wetting dem write on top naira.

if dem fit implement policies wey go make naira appreciate 100%, i go dey happy, regardless of whether na chinese of yoruba inscriptions dey on top naira.  dis fight wey una wan start, na petty fight
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by holymike47(m): 1:15am On Sep 20, 2009
ndu_chucks:

Beaf, since you say na common sense, make you no misinform people. if you no sabi de tings wey dey inside constitution, den stop siting it where e no apply. as far as we know, e no dey illegal or unconstitutional to put Arabic or Chinese characters on top naira.

so if dem put am, noting wey you fit do. i no know why una dey so worked up sef, who cares wetting dem write on top naira.

if dem fit implement policies wey go make naira appreciate 100%, i go dey happy, regardless of whether na chinese of yoruba inscriptions dey on top naira. dis fight wey una wan start, na petty fight

now what is your point. dont you think it is better for all the naira notes to be uniform. You are just talking up and down!!
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by Beaf: 1:22am On Sep 20, 2009
English, Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba

ndu_chucks:

Beaf, since you say na common sense, make you no misinform people. if you no sabi de tings wey dey inside constitution, den stop siting it where e no apply. as far as we know, e no dey illegal or unconstitutional to put Arabic or Chinese characters on top naira.

so if dem put am, noting wey you fit do. i no know why una dey so worked up sef, who cares wetting dem write on top naira.

if dem fit implement policies wey go make naira appreciate 100%, i go dey happy, regardless of whether na chinese of yoruba inscriptions dey on top naira. dis fight wey una wan start, na petty fight

I'm sure you will find that it isn't petty.

Naira appreciate 100%? In a country that imports everything and only exports oil? Wake yourself up. The way this thing has ben justified as a help to Hausa people who can't read English just doesn't cut it for the simple reason that Hausa is also one of Nigeria's official languages; but strangely they aren't batting for Hausa but some funky Arabic! Rubbish!
Thats called brainwashed, low self esteem.

The only reason for putting Arabic on our currency is because some idiots think they can Islamise the nation. They can't. Better for them to get their own nation where they can put zulu or French or whatever they want on their money.

And for those going on with the bullshit about religous bigotry; don't try reversing things to look like the victims. Don't bring Christianity into it because I AM NOT A CHRISTIAN.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by tolutweety(m): 1:24am On Sep 20, 2009
shocked  @least, u guys would wait for  the CBN governor to print out the money b4 making comments.why do nigerians love arguing over nothing?sanusi or watevr u r called!!!!!!!!!!!1 watchout for the wrath of nigerians if u dare  make any mistake with our currency.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by nduchucks: 1:30am On Sep 20, 2009
holymike47:

now what is your point. dont you think it is better for all the naira notes to be uniform. You are just talking up and down!!

my point be say, most of una wey dey post for dis thread, completely ignore de value of de new notes exercise. una don turn good ting upside down.

many of una dey very lazy. una no know de history of the inscriptions. una no even know say every currency wey we been get, always had arabic inscriptions and na when Obasanjo administration redesign new national currency (N5, N10, N20, N50) for  2007 wey him remove dem.

if obasanjo administration remove de inscriptions and una no talk, why una dey talk now? As I talk am, na Soludo design de new currency. wettin be de big deal?

i no get patience for religious bigots at all. una never even see de new currency, yet una don dey ready to fight. make una come up with points and arguments wey go enrich all of us - so far na crap una dey yarn.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by Beaf: 1:33am On Sep 20, 2009
^
We haven't seen it. We are just saying, don't make a mistake.
Talking about religious bigotry, I'm sure you religious diehards don't produce the money that prints the Naira or oils the economy.

It will be a mistake.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by luv2talk(m): 1:39am On Sep 20, 2009
@no21 or NO SENSE 21
You should learn how to use this forum,How dare you called Seun an idiot.You need to know that your being on Nairaland to air you nonsensical statements is the idea of seun whom you likened to an Idiot.You better watch your mouth otherwise banned
@All,
i dont know why you people hate anything islamic.does the Arabic Inscription prevents you from spending the Money in church,Arabic inscription  doesnt affect your so called pastor[b] to Buy Private Jet[/b] while you save part of  your hard earned salary for offerings in Church. Like a brother said here,The inscription is not even Arabic,it is only a Transliteration using Arabic letters which an Average Northerner can understand.stop creating hatred and lets put our hands together and make this country better.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by holymike47(m): 1:39am On Sep 20, 2009
ndu_chucks:

my point be say, most of una wey dey post for dis thread, completely ignore de value of de new notes exercise. una don turn good ting upside down.

many of una dey very lazy. una no know de history of the inscriptions. una no even know say every currency wey we been get, always had arabic inscriptions and na when Obasanjo administration redesign new national currency (N5, N10, N20, N50) for  2007 wey him remove dem.

if obasanjo administration remove de inscriptions and una no talk, why una dey talk now? As I talk am, na Soludo design de new currency. wettin be de big deal?

i no get patience for religious bigots at all. una never even see de new currency, yet una don dey ready to fight. make una come up with points and arguments wey go enrich all of us - so far na crap una dey yarn.

Guy read my post so far, i never actually yan anything about the arabic because i no know weda na truth or not, wetin the poster talk na mere assumption. But i feel its better for us to have uniformity and continuity in not only our notes.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by nduchucks: 1:41am On Sep 20, 2009
Beaf:

English, Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba

I'm sure you will find that it isn't petty.

Naira appreciate 100%? In a country that imports everything and only exports oil? Wake yourself up. The way this thing has ben justified as a help to Hausa people who can't read English just doesn't cut it for the simple reason that Hausa is also one of Nigeria's official languages; but strangely they aren't batting for Hausa but some funky Arabic! Rubbish!
Thats called brainwashed, low self esteem.

The only reason for putting Arabic on our currency is because some idiots think they can Islamise the nation. They can't. Better for them to get their own nation where they can put zulu or French or whatever they want on their money.

And for those going on with the bullshit about religous bigotry; don't try reversing things to look like the victims. Don't bring Christianity into it because I AM NOT A CHRISTIAN.

make you try read de ting wey i write well before you talk. i mention religious bigots, and i no mention christian bigots, moslem bigots, animist bigots, or any other specific category of bigots. so frankly I no care whether na 100 year old wood you dey worship.

pray tell, you don see de new currency? if some cbn official don talk say arabic inscriptions go dey for de new notes, please post de link make i go read am. i go come back and apologize to you if de link dey valid.  if you no fit provide link, den you be lazy intelletual.  while you dey look for de link, if you know de reason why dem remove the arabic inscriptions for 2007, abeg help provide us with link to the information.

I dey go sleep, but I go check wettin you write tommorrow.  sometin tell me say you just dey pull my legs, in that case we fit share a calabash of burukutu one day.  smiley
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by nduchucks: 1:45am On Sep 20, 2009
holymike47:

Guy read my post so far, i never actually yan anything about the arabic because i no know weda na truth or not, wetin the poster talk na mere assumption. But i feel its better for us to have uniformity and continuity in not only our notes.

holymike, me i no get issue with de tings wey you write, at least religion no factor into ya analysis. na many other posters for this thread wey I dey refer to. sorry for de confusion.

as I talk before, de notes dey uniform until the government of de day remove de inscriptions from the (N5, N10, N20, N50) notes. so to really make am uniform, if na uniformity important, e good make dem put dem back inside.  no be so?
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by kellorah: 1:51am On Sep 20, 2009
I don't get the whole uniformity thing sef. If anything, the money is OK as it is.

They should use the money to sort other problems!
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by holymike47(m): 1:51am On Sep 20, 2009
ndu_chucks:

holymike, me i no get issue with de tings wey you write, at least religion no factor into ya analysis.

as I talk before, de notes dey uniform until the government of de day remove de inscriptions from the (N5, N10, N20, N50) notes. so to really make am uniform, if na uniformity important, e good make dem put dem back inside.  no be so?

in a way i dey feel you sha, but what about the higher demonination, dem no suppose have similar xtics of uniformity in terms of the writing becos this thing wey dem dey argue put so, he no dey the higher ones
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by holymike47(m): 1:59am On Sep 20, 2009
kellorah:

I don't get the whole uniformity thing sef. If anything, the money is OK as it is.

They should use the money to sort other problems!

What i mean is that, they should use the same language as in the higher denominations, instead of making some arabic and some english.however i dont even know if its true that they are using arabic, what the poster said is a mere assumption.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Mastercard Card Or Visa Card: Which Nigerian Banks Offer The Cheapest And Best / Complaints Mount As Enaira App Tops 100,000 Downloads / Earn N10,000 Daily With This POS At N15,500/device. Instant Transactions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.