Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,109 members, 7,814,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:16 PM

Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription (22691 Views)

New Naira Notes Ready September Ending – CBN / New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? / The New Naira Coins And Polymer Notes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by deor03(m): 3:29pm On Mar 04, 2007
The sultan of sokoto ,lateef adegbite and NORTHERN muslims have rejected the new currency notes because they do not have ARABIC inscriptions>>>>>>>
what do |you think?
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Sameni(m): 3:56pm On Mar 04, 2007
Both of them are not serious.

WHat are they trying to potrait here. Have they forgoten that Nigeria is circular state NOT an Islamic state.

The THREE languages on the new naira is ok by all. If they dont like it they can go to hell.

That is my own little contribution

Sola

1 Like

Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by egoldman(m): 4:37pm On Mar 04, 2007
where did u get this news ? any links ?
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by deor03(m): 4:48pm On Mar 04, 2007
courtesy today's vanguard

full text below

New Naira notes: Sultan, Adegbite, others insist on Arabic signs * Want FG to put planned restructuring of unity schools on hold
DAPO OLUFADE Sokoto
Posted to the Web: Sunday, March 04, 2007

THE Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs, (NSCIA) headed by the Sultan of Sokoto has rejected the new naira notes which was launched last week by President Olusegun Obasanjo on the ground that the Arabic inscriptions on the naira notes were removed and replaced with the three major Nigerian languages; Hausa, Ibo and Yoruba. The council has therefore insisted that the Arabic inscriptions on the naira notes should be restored.

This was one of the resolutions of the council at the end of its meeting held in the palace of the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar after he was presented with the staff of office yesterday.

The meeting which was presided by the Sultan had in attendance the Secretary General of the Council, Alhaji Lateef Adegbite and the Aare Musulumi of Yorubaland, Alhaji Alao Arisekola.

But the Central Bank governor, Professor Charles Chukwuma Soludo while explaining the reasons behind the removal of Arabic inscriptions on the naira notes at the launching of the new notes said “It is pertinent to let Nigerians understand that Arabic is not one of the national languages and it was inscribed on the notes 40 years ago because the majority of people then can read it in the Northern part of the country to the detriment of their counterparts in the South.”

The CBN apparently pre-empted the reactions by the Sultan of Sokoto, Saad Abubakar, that reasons should be offered for deleting the Arabic inscriptions on the naira notes.

Soludo spoke of the need for the country to grow and move forward and for its people to get accustomed to innovations. He stressed that the removal of the Arabic inscriptions was to promote unity in diversity and was not directed at any religious or ethnic group.

Apart from the restoration of Arabic inscriptions on the new naira notes, the Islamic Council also want the Federal Government to put on hold the planned restructuring of the Unity Schools in the country. The Minister of Education, Dr Obiageli Ezekwesili has been in the forefront of reforms in the education sector and part of the reforms is the privatisation of Unity Schools.

The cardinal objective of the Education Sector Reform, according to the minister is “the restoration of character and learning to education as foundation for creating and sustaining a good society, for nurturing the mind and for the ability to compete globally.”

While further justifying the restructuring of the unity schools in the country by the Federal Government,, Ezekwesili said. “Our greatest concern is the fact that the ministry (Federal Ministry of Education) spends an inordinate amount of time and resources on these schools and constitute only 30 percent of the secondary schools in the country.

Out of 6.4 million secondary school students, only 120,718 are in the unity schools. This number cannot on any account justify the disproportionate amount of staff and budget allocated to these schools. This has to be reversed. We have to do things differently as the current business model can no longer be sustained”
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Kashif(m): 11:48am On Mar 05, 2007
;d ;d
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by egoldman(m): 7:06am On Mar 06, 2007
deor03:

The sultan of sokoto ,lateef adegbite and NORTHERN muslims have rejected the new currency notes because they do not have ARABIC inscriptions>>>>>>>
what do |you think?

complete nonsense angry angry angry angry
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by 9ja4eva: 7:18am On Mar 06, 2007
What do they mean?I hope its rumor sha.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by egoldman(m): 7:26am On Mar 06, 2007
its no rumor,i have read the news,still complete nonsense to me .
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by 9ja4eva: 7:32am On Mar 06, 2007
Yeahh complete nonsense really.Do they think Nigeria is a muslim state.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by dblock(m): 8:10am On Mar 06, 2007
Nigeria will never be a muslim state sad
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by 9ja4eva: 8:13am On Mar 06, 2007
Exactly so y shld this people talk like this then?
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Afam(m): 11:35am On Mar 06, 2007
Those that reject the notes due to the removal of arabic inscriptions should not use the notes, simple.

Nigeria is bigger than any sectional, tribal, ethnic or religious interests by any one.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by donnymikky(m): 11:56am On Mar 06, 2007
Nobody forces them to use the money infact they can go ahead to tell their followers not to spend the money it is not a do or die affair! shikena!
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Bolarge(m): 2:13pm On Mar 06, 2007
These goons don't deserve the attention we're givin' them.
I would gladly give them my account # so they can break down all their savings into the Arabic-less denominations and let me make good use of it. grin
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by BillGatesFan(m): 2:23pm On Mar 06, 2007
Muslims in Nigeria thinks that the country is theirs,I wonder how and where they came up with such idea when all the resources of this country is coming from the south south, the south east, plus south west,what do they have if not grandnuts,and yet they want to tell us that arabic signs must be on our notes is this not craziness?

They think they can turn nigeria into an arabic nation, if that is trheir dream or plans they that can only happen when nigeria might have been divided, then and only then they can write all arabic signs on their cown country notes if the like they even be using IRAQ notes who cares, useless people.

The use our money to develop their area while we suffer here, yet they want to put arab on our note.

I thank GOD for the new CBN Governor and his team for realising they mistake made 40 years ago, by removing that shit on our note

CAn you imagin? what does this hausa's take us for?
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by tianshie(m): 5:12pm On Mar 06, 2007
I've got an idea for them,they can go ahead and write arabic on the notes in their possession with HB pencils. But that's going to be tiring work if you're a millionaire tongue
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Seun(m): 5:26pm On Mar 06, 2007
Hehe. Unfortunately, polymer notes can be hard to write on!
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by chuka2003(m): 5:27pm On Mar 06, 2007
now, now @Bill Gates no need to vent your frustrations on all Muslims or Hausas' just because some self-centred, attention-seeking morons have nothing better to do. You will be surprised that average Hausa or muslim man doesn't give a damn if Arabic is written on the naira or not. they are probably more concerned about getting the naira into their pockets (Arabic, Greek, Latin inscriptions or not) so that they can feed their families. i even doubt if they ever noticed the Arabic!
As said before, if anybody doesn't like the new notes, they should please pass it on!!! I would be very willing to help out grin grin grin grin grin!
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by abdkabir(m): 5:42pm On Mar 06, 2007
@Topic,

Does that Mean Muslims in their entirety reject the Notes. Please me mindful of the Subjects u put on posts, it could cause Misinformation to the
Public . angry
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by debosky(m): 5:52pm On Mar 06, 2007
when your 'supreme council' and 'spiritual leader' aka the sultan rejects it then I think its safe to assume that is the position of muslims, or aren't those people your representatives and 'defenders' of your faith?

pure crap, people with nothing better to do than to waste money going around causing trouble.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by abdkabir(m): 6:00pm On Mar 06, 2007
Wetin be ur own,

and who told you he's my supreme leader and the defender of My faith? I will defend my Own faith, Nigeria is a Secular or Multi-Religious State.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by LePhilippe(m): 6:26pm On Mar 06, 2007
Why are the Hausa's the cause for most of Nigeria's numerous problems. Don't believe me lets go through it:

Cause of the Biafran War - Hausa's
Military reign and sufferings endured - Hausa
Corruption lead government - Hausa [Zamfara State tied with Edo State are most corrupt states.]
Cause for Miss world disgrace - Hausa
ABACHA'S REGIME!!!! - Hausa
Huge religious riots and tribal riots in Lagos - [Hausa and Yorubas]
Failure of old Proposal for Lagos Subway - Hausa (Btw,, the proposal has been revived no thanks to an hausa man!!)

Please there are so much more I just don't have the time to mention. Don't get me wrong Hausa men such as the Minister of the F.C.T whose name currently escapes my memory are Patriotic heros!! I really think it should be divided from Nigeria, we are not dependent on them in any way but this would lead to the division of the great city of Abuja.

Please leave any other comments of the major problems of Nigeria cause by the greatly Hausa Population. I am so tribalist but i really don't give a rat's bottom now!!
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Nobody: 7:45pm On Mar 06, 2007
No problem. The sultan is free to move his subjects to Niger or Chad were they truly belong. They might bemore likely to accept quranic inscriptions on their notes.

To be a Nigerian is not by force.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by BillGatesFan(m): 7:58pm On Mar 06, 2007
chuka2003: why do you think am frustrated? are you sure your educated enough? I douth you. anywhere I have said mine,am not an igbo but I support the existence of BIAFRA, maybe that will teach the hausa's a lesson, by the time the country is splight into many part. mùany of them will start running back to Chad, mali,burkina faso,or niger. Arat Nonsence, they think this Era was the late 60's to earlier 70's? Try another war and see what happens.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by lewa(m): 8:03pm On Mar 06, 2007
It's a democracy afterall,they have every right to protest!
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Douzy(m): 8:09pm On Mar 06, 2007
Please, why is there no Latin on the notes? angry
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by McKren(m): 8:16pm On Mar 06, 2007
abdkabir:

@Topic,

Does that Mean Muslims in their entirety reject the Notes. Please me mindful of the Subjects u put on posts, it could cause Misinformation to the
Public . angry

It will make more sense if you simply condemn the Sultan's comments, because he has erred. OBJ's greatest critics are Yoruba's, when Orji Kalu put up that show of shame on Hardtalk his greatest critics on this forum were Igbos. Why can't you guys learn to call a spade a spade in the interest ot the nation.

Sultan Sa'ad Abubakar should be ashamed of himself because I doubt if Sultan Maccido would have made a comment like this.

This is why we never get anywhere in this country, one step forward ten steps backward, A young Sultan and a General in the Army who would have helped to redeem his people from darkness comes on board, the first thing he does is to throw away all he learnt all his life as a Nigerian soldier and goes on to say things merely because they seem pleasing to the ears of his people regardless of the implication to the Nigerian state.

This is 2007 Nigeria and not 1957 pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeee!!!!!!!!.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by zigbo(f): 8:18pm On Mar 06, 2007
lewa:

It's a democracy afterall,they have every right to protest!

its a free world yea, nd its so free that i can protest too rite ok.
there is jst central igbo why dint they put my own part of igbo there angry

common people lets be reasonable,if they  put all the languages nigerians spoke,wat will the notes look like, some rough sheet, or practise book of a one year old.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Douzy(m): 8:24pm On Mar 06, 2007
Lol!
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by egbon(m): 8:27pm On Mar 06, 2007
As said before, if anybody doesn't like the new notes, they should please pass it on!!! I would be very willing to help out

Well said, Adegbite. Sultan of Sokoto and whoever is against this can go to blazes. I'm surprise Soludo even responded to them.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by BigB11(m): 8:29pm On Mar 06, 2007
@McKren:

Before we start slapping and smacking this man (Sultan Sa'ad Abubakar) around, have you heard directly from him regarding this issue?
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Nobody: 8:41pm On Mar 06, 2007
This is one more reason why Nigeria will continue its downward slide into retrogression.
We have a sultan, supposedly the defacto leader of the north, more concerned with inscriptions on the naira than its actual market value. Of what use is arabic inscriptions if the naira is almost N200 to $1?
Until we move away from the semantics and begin to face the real issues, i'm afraid Nigeria will remain mired iin corruption and ineptitude!

Are these the kinds of "leaders" that have been entrusted with our future? these men are more worried about keeping islamic iinscriptions in the face of grinding poverty, poor infrastructure and a prostrate educational system.
How many notes actually get to the common man? Is the common man more interested in reading inscriptions on the naira than its purchasing power?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

FG Inaugurates Gold Refinery, Boosts Small-scale Mining / Recession: Prices Of Food Soer Higher As Carton Of Fish Hit N22,000 / Start A Dry-cleaning & Laundry Business In Nigeria With 50k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.