Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,544 members, 7,816,324 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? (24917 Views)

New Naira Notes Ready September Ending – CBN / Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription / The New Naira Coins And Polymer Notes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by kellorah: 2:01am On Sep 20, 2009
I don't remember much of the money but I though it already had some Arabic on it?

Anyways, I don't see why they should have much writing on the money, let alone in a language not everyone can understand. . . so the rumour has to be overly fake!

But it wont be fair on others if there was Arabic on it, which they couldn't understand.

How about they just write something like "in God we trust" in English!!
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by nduchucks: 2:06am On Sep 20, 2009
holymike47:

What i mean is that, they should use the same language as in the higher denominations, instead of making some arabic and some english.however i dont even know if its true that they are using arabic, what the poster said is a mere assumption.

holymike, you dey make a lot of sense. all denomination get arabic inscription until 2007 wey dem remove the inscription from (N5, N10, N20, N50) notes. de higher notes still get de inscription, so if na for uniformity, dem supposed to put de inscription back inside de new ones wey dem want print.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by kellorah: 2:08am On Sep 20, 2009
Why didn't they put it on the new notes when they printed it in the first place?
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by Beaf: 2:11am On Sep 20, 2009
ndu_chucks:

holymike, you dey make a lot of sense. all denomination get arabic inscription until 2007 wey dem remove the inscription from (N5, N10, N20, N50) notes. de higher notes still get de inscription, so if na for uniformity, dem supposed to put de inscription back inside de new ones wey dem want print.

The way the North is oppressing the rest of the country has to stop. Other parts of the country make the money and we aren't anybodies donkeys.

People will rise up spontaneously sooner or later.

A stitch in time. . .
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by holymike47(m): 2:18am On Sep 20, 2009
Sometimes we overlook something. I just took a very close look at all our higher denominations from #100 to #1000, they all have ARABIC inscription. so what are we actually arguing? if i step on anyones toes, i am trully sorry!!
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by kellorah: 2:21am On Sep 20, 2009
Wow. . . . I'm lost!!

The notes already have Arabic inscriptions, why are we still arguing?! LMAO!

But yeah, it's still unfair to have Arabic on the notes.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by holymike47(m): 2:26am On Sep 20, 2009
kellorah:

Wow. . . . I'm lost!!

The notes already have Arabic inscriptions, why are we still arguing?! LMAO!

But yeah, it's still unfair to have Arabic on the notes.

That would be a different argument, the question would be 'why do we have ARABIC inscription on our naira notes". What we are arguing here is uncalled for. So lets close the matter here!!
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by Nobody: 2:28am On Sep 20, 2009
holymike47:

That would be a different argument, the question would be 'why do we have ARABIC inscription on our naira notes". What we are arguing here is uncalled for. So lets close the matter here!!

Exactly.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by becomrich15: 2:28am On Sep 20, 2009
Then they remove the arabic in it. You can write hausa, igbo and yoruba in it but must not be written in arabic. But in hausa. nd you must write the 3 in it. nigeria law allows you. but not arabic. it is violation of nigeria law.

The issue is , they should not even be there in the first. And they should be removed. We can not have arabic on nigeria money. We are not an arabic nation. Our law says english. if people want to include arabic on the money. They need to go and change the constitution of Nigeria.  When yar adua was elected, he claim he would defend the nigeria law and constitution.

To include arabic in Nigeria currency is a violation of the Nigeria law and it is impreachable under Nigeria law. Yar Adua can be impreach over it if they add it. It is wise to act with sense my friend.

You can put Yoruba, hausa and igbo on the money but must not be written in arabic. This is what nigeria law says.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by kellorah: 2:32am On Sep 20, 2009
But no one complained bout Arabic being on the money back in the day though, or did we? Or did it just not cross our minds?

The best thing would be to write whatever needs to be written in English, afterall it's the official language of the people. And those who can't read English should stick to learning numbers!
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by becomrich15: 2:36am On Sep 20, 2009
people complained but we had military dictator, who did not listen to people at the time. Now we have democracy, if they want arabic on it, they need to amend nigeria constitution. we are not under military dictator anymore. Yar adua is not allowed to do what ever he want under democracy. he has to uphold the nigeria law and constitution.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by Beaf: 2:37am On Sep 20, 2009
kellorah:

But no one complained bout Arabic being on the money back in the day though, or did we? Or did it just not cross our minds?

The best thing would be to write whatever needs to be written in English, afterall it's the official language of the people. And those who can't read English should stick to learning numbers!

That is because they did it at gun point.
We had military dictators (from the North) that would have blown any decenting voice to heaven or beyond.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by kellorah: 2:40am On Sep 20, 2009
Skeeeeeennn!!

Hmmmm. . .  I hope that's what they're working on right now then (removing the Arabic). BTW, can an Arabic person please translate what it says on the money? Thank you.

But, whereby the notes still have Arabic on them, and the words are bolder than they already are (just to rub it in our faces, lol), what can the people do? REALLY.
Cos so far people have been complaining about a lot of things but nothing's been done. Are they gonna listen to something like this?
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by Beaf: 2:46am On Sep 20, 2009
^You are right. There are so many "incredible" (avoiding harsher words) things that you would think that even a semi intelligent government would correct; but all that keeps tumbling out is one daft and dangerous policy after the other.
Nigeria is tittering on the abyss.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by kellorah: 2:48am On Sep 20, 2009
. . .And then some complain when District 9 is made. LOL! [Don't wanna derail, sorry. Just had to!]
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by Beaf: 3:00am On Sep 20, 2009
^My dear, you ain't derailling anything.
The same rotten smell is common to both issue's; symptoms of an underlying malaise.
Some think that a nation can be built on narrow mindedness, shallow thinking, stupidity and crime.

I just feel so saddened by these things.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by gadogado(m): 4:32am On Sep 20, 2009
@becomerich

again the "arabic" inscription on the naira is not arabic, its hausa written with arabic alphabets, the 1000 note says naira dubu, dubu in hausa means thousand, 1000 in arabic is alf. its like saying you shouldnt write yoruba or igbo with english alphabets. Africans,nigerians whether hausa,yoruba or igbo never developed their own script and writing system with alphabets so they have to borrow from british/latin and arabic. again its hausa language written in arabic instead of english alphabets since theyve been writing hausa language in arabic alphabets since 14th century. its just a historical symbol that they're reflecting on the naira!!!
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by blkmum700: 4:42am On Sep 20, 2009
Beaf:

That is because they did it at gun point.
We had military dictators (from the North) that would have blown any decenting voice to heaven or beyond.

then i consider  OBJ has a dictator too because arabic was on the note durring his times,he should have remove it from it,remember OBJ Is not from the North.

Not All the Northerners can read English and write english.

if arabic was writen on the notes,anybody agaist it should not spend it, best thing burn it,if you spend it then shame on you.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by Beaf: 7:16am On Sep 20, 2009
gadogado:

@becomerich

again the "arabic" inscription on the naira is not arabic, its hausa written with arabic alphabets, the 1000 note says naira dubu, dubu in hausa means thousand, 1000 in arabic is alf. its like saying you shouldnt write yoruba or igbo with english alphabets. Africans,nigerians whether hausa,yoruba or igbo never developed their own script and writing system with alphabets so they have to borrow from british/latin and arabic. again its hausa language written in arabic instead of english alphabets since theyve been writing hausa language in arabic alphabets since 14th century. its just a historical symbol that they're reflecting on the naira!!!

Ignorance is dangerous.
What makes you think other ethnic groups outside yours did not develop writing systems? In fact, I am quite certain that if you provide the name of your ethnic group, an indegeneous writing system for your area will be found.
People are only rooting for Arabic because they have been brainwashed.

Nsibidi is a writing system of the Ejagham people of Nigeria. It is seen on tombstones, secret society buildings, costumes, ritual fans, headdresses, textiles, and in gestures, body and ground painting.

http://www.library.cornell.edu/africana/Writing_Systems/Nsibidi.html

There are several other West African writing systems, if you care to learn.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by t0kunb0(m): 7:18am On Sep 20, 2009
y?
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by t0kunb0(m): 7:21am On Sep 20, 2009
Personally, i c no justification 4d arabic inscriptions on d naira,b it hausa in arabic alphabetics or otherwise
How have d 'arabic nigerian community who cant read english' been doin biznes trasactions wifout d notes wif arabic all dis while
Y dont we all upgrade 2 d same higher level,dan slow down cos sum1els isnt makin any effort 2 forge ahead
This is about a uniformd Nigerian Naira cause
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by AbuMaryam1(m): 7:25am On Sep 20, 2009
Why all these jeers and rants on an issue which is yet to be reall.
In the first place, sanusi is not willing to return Arabic inscriptions on the lower denominations. Simply the northerners(those who can not read English inscriptions) are now familiar with them.
In the second place, Sunusi will nt remove the Arabic alphabet on the higher denominations. Bcoz the former are not yet to be familiar with them. Those that are fooling themselves the should stop it, coz it wont help matters. Like what someone said, if u wont spend a naira note wid arabic alphabet burn it. Na you dey at lost.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by Beaf: 7:27am On Sep 20, 2009
blkmum700:

then i consider  OBJ has a dictator too because arabic was on the note durring his times,he should have remove it from it,remember OBJ Is not from the North.

Not All the Northerners can read English and write english.

if arabic was writen on the notes,anybody agaist it should not spend it, best thing burn it,if you spend it then shame on you.

So what?

What a lame excuse! English is the only common language for the whole of Nigeria.
They had better start learning to read English then.
Are there no people in the South who cannot read English? What about those who cannot read in any language, should we put a voice recording on the Naira for them? The whole thing sounds ridiculous.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by Nezan(m): 7:44am On Sep 20, 2009
islamisation? again?
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by ridgeman: 10:11am On Sep 20, 2009
If all our efforts bear fruit to make this country a true giant of Africa then I vote for French,English, Arabic and even Swahili!

For years Ecowas has been talking about 1 regional currency.

All it will take is for Ghana to back up their currency with the required foreign reserves and we will all be trading in Cedi's - but thank God they are not interested - YET!
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by Oluti(m): 10:30am On Sep 20, 2009
May God help us all. Now I believe those who say Nigeria is a geographical expression is right after all. We are not a nation. We are are collection of different nations. Until we are separated to our different tents, we will never make any meaningful progress even after 200 years of independence. Chikena.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by ikeyman00(m): 11:01am On Sep 20, 2009
@@@@@@

hurray

new saudis money ego has igbo in it!!

sorry not all saudis can read english
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 11:44am On Sep 20, 2009
Someone comes and starts a fallacy of a post and like  joke Nairalanders use it as a catalyst for mudslinging.

@ OP. I want to bet you 10,000 =N= that Arabic will not be on the new polymer notes.
Put your money where your mouth is or shutup.
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 11:53am On Sep 20, 2009
becomrich,:

Then they remove the arabic in it. You can write hausa, igbo and yoruba in it but must not be written in arabic. But in hausa. nd you must write the 3 in it. nigeria law allows you. but not arabic. it is violation of nigeria law.

The issue is , they should not even be there in the first. And they should be removed. We can not have arabic on nigeria money. We are not an arabic nation. Our law says english. if people want to include arabic on the money. They need to go and change the constitution of Nigeria.  When yar adua was elected, he claim he would defend the nigeria law and constitution.

To include arabic in Nigeria currency is a violation of the Nigeria law and it is impreachable under Nigeria law. Yar Adua can be impreach over it if they add it. It is wise to act with sense my friend.

You can put Yoruba, hausa and igbo on the money but must not be written in arabic. This is what nigeria law says.

You are such a tool. So what alphabet is used to write Igbo and Yoruba? The fact that Europeans came through the South and the Arabs came from the North should dispel your stupid argument. Also not to mention that there are 250 DISTINCT Ethnic  groups in Nigeria. I wonder how some of you reason?
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by lastpage: 12:33pm On Sep 20, 2009
@love2talk.
@no21 or NO SENSE 21
You should learn how to use this forum,How dare you called Seun an idiot.You need to know that your being on Nairaland to air you nonsensical statements is the idea of seun whom you likened to an Idiot.You better watch your mouth otherwise banned

The last time l checked, "Seun" is the Owner/Administrator of this site!
He is able, has mouth an his computer still works!

Who the hell made you his mouth-piece or Defender?
Why are you pandering-up to him?
If you wanna-play "nice-boy or Otimkpu", go ahead but dont ride on someones else back angry

And what makes you think "BAN-BAN-BAN" on NL is the end of life?
Despite our appreciation for this "mutually beneficial" site, dont you know there are tons of alternative Naija website around?
(I wont mention their webby address here as a sign of respect to NL and its owner but dont you ever threaten anyone around here with that word, okay?)

On the other hand, l dont sanction calling Seun or ANYONE, an idiot (who even asked for my opinion on that grin ) but l think it is hypocritical and silly to speak for a grown-up!
We dont need to cry more than the bereaved, whatever you're expecing in return tongue

By the way, Seun's leanings in recent times is bothering a few observers like meself but then, he is entitled to his own opinion.

Just my 10cents
Re: New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? by anataala: 12:38pm On Sep 20, 2009
poeple that are opposing it are waisting their time, i am really welcoming the idea, as per as i am concern it will benefit some people that can read in hausa, english and youruba, there is noting wrong with as per as i am concern and even if the government did it, i dont think ur critisim will change or stop it cos, that has being our tradition for long, our forefather who are better than u and i are the ones that suggested that idea,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

CBN Lifts Ban On Cryptocurrency Transactions / Mastercard Card Or Visa Card: Which Nigerian Banks Offer The Cheapest And Best / Complaints Mount As Enaira App Tops 100,000 Downloads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.