Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,939 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:04 PM

The Real Problem With Nollywood - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Real Problem With Nollywood (6250 Views)

Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 / Help With Nollywood Movies Sound Track / The Problem With Nollywood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Real Problem With Nollywood by mac73(m): 12:26pm On Dec 07, 2006
The real problem with nollywood is not lack of hollywood-type budgets.
Rather it is lousy scripts and terrible acting. Does anybody agree with me?

1 Like

Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by ThoniaSlim(f): 11:42pm On Dec 13, 2006
is greed for money angry
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Raymand(m): 7:09am On Dec 14, 2006
Nollywood doesn't have a 'problem' it has PROBLEMS!! tons and tons of it even it's name is a bloody problem, sad little shitheads think thy're making progress churning out millions of movies with the same storylines a day. . .

1 Like

Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by egoli(f): 7:18pm On Jan 12, 2007
na wah 4 all of una.instead of u to encourage dem and give kudos to those trying na condemnation u dey give dem.ok what can be done to solve d problem or shld i say problems
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Seun(m): 7:25pm On Jan 12, 2007
The difference between Hollywood and Nollywood is that Hollywood has a good system for distinguishing between mediocre stories and excellent ones. So you are much less likely to stumble upon a bad Hollywood movie - it just won't get to you! We just need to encourage people to start reviewing Nollywood movies more systematically.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:27pm On Jan 12, 2007
Hollywood is filled with mediocre. Every once in a while you get a great movie but most of the time it's garbage. The really great ones are hardly ever popular cos big production companies rather not back them up.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Seun(m): 7:45pm On Jan 12, 2007
Hah. That is a completely different opinion. Name one good movie that is not selling well in Hollywood.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:52pm On Jan 12, 2007
I would but what I consider to be good might not be good to you and what I consider to be horrible might be liked by many.
Like this sudden epidemic of remakes that Hollywood seems to be suffering from. Just shows lack of crqtivity and to make matters worse none of these remakes are ever better than the other yet they continue to make money

unfortunately angry
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Seun(m): 7:56pm On Jan 12, 2007
People like sequels because they won't be much worse than the original.
As for remakes, isn't an excellent, modernized remake of a 1920 movie better than a terrible original 2007 movie?
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:59pm On Jan 12, 2007
I said remakes, Seun not sequels. I can see how you can confuse the two though as most of the time BOTH are very unncessary tongue

Take Oceans 11, unncessary sequel, now they're making Oceans 13, also UNNECESSARY

and no I rather watch that 1920s movie and hope that Hollywood churns out a decent ORIGINAL movie for 2007. That's why everyone's flocking to foreign directors now for different plots and directions.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by xheggs(m): 8:05pm On Jan 12, 2007
Yeah. The real problem with nollywood is greed for money
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Dios(f): 8:55pm On Jan 12, 2007
Hollywood regularly produce crap, they just call them b movies and don't promote them or make them straight to dvd, I don't watch nollywood movies because the handful I've seen are filled with mediocre acting, crowds gathering to watch what's going on(bad locations),more terrible  acting, background noise, unrealistic storylines, incredibly shitty wardrobes,  and then they have the nerve to produce a sequel when it could have been just one movie(good marketing strategy though, can't knock that hustle) . So they'll never be internationally accepted, because if I'm Nigerian and I can't even bear to watch them,how I'm going to introduce them to other people.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by miky(m): 9:08pm On Jan 12, 2007
the problem with nollywood is the same with nigeria. how will it feel to budget a one million dollar movie with time, and the next day its pirated. you guys too dey complain, nollywood is for the average man, those ones who need a laugh once a while. its not for the alhaji who have dstl or whatever.until our country improves i dont see nollywood improving beyond the budget of the average nigeian daily income. and till dis day they are pirating the movie like hell
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by mihai(m): 10:26pm On Jan 12, 2007
Please, for Christ's sakes, can't Nigerians ever do anything just slightly original? And that goes for the music industry as well, "Sampling" entire songs, the whole background? come on!!! And that freaking movie 'Lion King'. really, wow! And what's with the extra, extra, extra long storylines that, after a while, just makes no sense, and then you wonder what you're supposed to take away from the movie, then comes the retarded, pointless flashback, I swear I can feel one coming on, so much so that if I haven't seen a flashback, I feel like the movie wasn't Nigerian, then they try for the twists, and it's just, no, then the actors (I won't mention names) that try to be funny, but just are not funny, then the overacting, e.t.c. e.t.c. And what's with the messed up sound? I turn up the volume for the movie, then comes the freaking ad that's inordinately loud!

The One thing that really gets to me, though, is when they just cut the movie off at the middle of a scene, and I'm like, what the ****?, then comes the "Watch out for stupid movie part 2". And does every movie have to have 2 discs? I honestly feel like if I started buying (or copying  grin) movies, I'd soon run out of storage space. And I might be Nigerian, but I'm not that dim, it's pretty obvious they have the entire thing on hand, but greed capitalism, or whatever you want to call it, has pretty much pervaded every part of Nigerian society, although that's for another day.

And, unfortunately, part of the fault does rest with the viewers. I mean, come on, how on earth do you expect the industry to progress when the movie sells one original copy, then that original is copied thousands of times? And, to make it worse, the retards (although smart) copiers then insert adverts for other movies that are pretty much the entire movie into the movie? Seriously, when one person buys a copy, makes ten copies for each of their friends, and those each make ten copies, , who's going to buy the stuff? And, Hollywood has had a lot more time for this than 'Nollywood' has, so please don't expect the same quality picture as Hollywood produces.

And please don't tell me they have $1 mil. budgets, cause those movies look more like they cost a grand to make, in total. (REALLY, how on earth am I supposed to take this industry seriously when I hear the director telling the actor to "go slowly, go slowly"?, unfortunately, I don't remember the title of the movie, but I swear to God it's true.) And there was another one where you could see part of one of the stagehands in the pic. Whatever happened to post-editing? Or does no one ever watch the entire thing after they make it before they sell it?

Grab your own copy, lmao.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Radiant(f): 1:24am On Jan 13, 2007
Dios, you got me laughing real hard smiley

The biggest problems are laziness, impatience and greed!!! sad
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by chichimma(f): 4:11am On Jan 13, 2007
@ Mihai

grin very funny but true with most of these movies! You are not helping matters too your just copying these movies and not buying! It just go round and round with the circle

@ Miky

You make a good point there too. Nollywood is for the average Nigerian man. However, it has grown to other countries and touched peoples hearts. For example, Nigerian expatriates that can not go home year after year cos of not having papers can derive some joy out of these movies too. It can quenche some of its thirst of nostalgia.

Nollywood has still a long way to go before its PROBLEMS will dissapear however I think the censor board or other bodies should come up with stricter criteria for example better sound quality and storylines unnecessary long parts where nothing is happening just to have a part two should be banned. I think that will make some major changes grin
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by TheOne2(m): 4:59am On Jan 13, 2007
Problem with Nollywood??

Me thinks the problem is the fact that they know that whatever they come up with, THEY WILL SELL!!! If peeps refuse to buy low quality movies, no one will tell them to start doing things the right way. Imagine the craze about "aki" and "pawpaw"?, that's the height of it? Casting old men in children's roles and people find that funny Can't they produce roles that a midget can fill in?

chichinma,

For example, Nigerian expatriates that can not go home year after year because of not having papers can derive some joy out of these movies too

Are there Nigerians abroad that can't go home Did somebody seize their passports or something??
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by ima1(f): 5:15am On Jan 13, 2007
i thought Ocean 11 rocked, ocean 12 sucked but i think 13 is gonna be great it has Alpacino in it.

But if Nollywood had better scripts and better reviewers, not just every dick and harry with a stupid storyline making a movie, and wats up with banning actors, you don't see anyone banning Tom Cruise, George Clooney. what else would you expect when you ban good actor and then use crappy actors for crappy storyline and you end up with crappy movies
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by question(m): 6:50am On Jan 13, 2007
Nigeria with 140 million people is a huge market, so whatever quality of video is packaged by nollywood, they will sell, they have customers.
99% of people in nollywood are there for the cash, thats their priority.

Moreover, the marketers (pirates included) make much more money than the actors, directors, scriptwriters who do all the work. (monkey dey work, baboon dey chop)

So the actors increease their pace by producing junk movies, even pirates are sweating/trying to catch up with the rate of movie production in nollywood.

Thats Nigeria for you.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by naijacutee(f): 10:15am On Jan 13, 2007
Yes, I hear you all. . . But in all this, let us not forget that Nollywood, no matter how bad, has given us something to be proud of - Nollywood !!

Africans all over the world watch our movies and derive pleasure from them! Why? Because most 'other' african movies don't even come close! Two of my  housemates last year - a Ghanaian and a Sierra-leonian had more nigerian movies than I did! (Bearing in mind I had just 4, and those were forced into my hands when I went to Nigeria!)

We should be grateful to the present and former Nollywood actors/actresses for paving the way for us. . . we who think we could do better.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by gbadex1(m): 10:16am On Jan 13, 2007
The Problem?

Inadequate funding, low budget crap, unprofessionalism, lack of creativity, lack of originality, Poor quality input, Poor quality output, acting that can only be done by morons, and the laziness and inability of home video consumers to trash and reject mediocrity in the industry.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by justme3(m): 11:07am On Jan 13, 2007
i think the problem are reclying of stories and also wack actors and actresses that can't even pronounce simple words of english
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Seun(m): 11:36am On Jan 13, 2007
Whatever the problems of Nollywood, I'm sure that they'll be solved by the market process that brought us internet access through VSAT and 6 naira per minute phone calls on fixed wireless networks. The free market process.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Ndipe(m): 12:10pm On Jan 13, 2007
Nollywood is taking its 'first baby steps". Encourage our local movie actor, for if we dont, who would then? With time, our great industry would be a force to be reckoned with.

Rome was not built in a day!!!
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by mardan(f): 2:06pm On Jan 13, 2007
hi
just wanted to add my two cents, i have recently started watching nollywood movies[almost a year now] . i have only one original copy in a collection of 178 titles [bootleg is the order of the day]. i buy them when i travel to new york or off the internet ,  i see where you are all coming from.  Too much background noise at times drowning out what the actors are saying, cheesy dialogue [only the writers can be blamed for that!] ,  actors not being able to pronounce words correctly. Loads of unnecessary scenes [but that's how part 2&3 are born] , The list is endless  . With all its problems however,  nollywood is still something to be proud of, i am not nigerian and i am proud of your achievements,  not many countries can boast  a thriving movie industry!  Hollywood is the hallmark of movie industries worlwide but as i am writing now i cannot think of one movie that i have seen that has made me stop and take a look at how i treat members of my family,people in general, Hollywood entertains me, Nollywood entertains  but most importantly tries to impart to thier viewers little moral lessons that forces us to take a look at oursevles and try to be better human beings,  this is my opinion based on the few movies i have seen.
  sorry did not mean to be preachy!
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Orikinla(m): 2:24pm On Jan 13, 2007
It is unfair to make sweeping erroneous and ambiguous remarks about Nollywood in the same manner that the Western media does on Nigeria as a nation of scammers and schemers.

Nollywood is actually the mirror of Nigeria from the small girl hawking fake pure water on the street to the foolish head of state in Abuja.
Hypocrisy and Mediocrity are the order of the day in Nigeria and Nairaland is not different.
But in the chaos, there are some shining lights. Our geniuses.
But the hypocrites and crooks in power want Nollywood and Nigeria to remain stagnant, because corruption has become their culture.

We have geniuses in Nollywood and they are doing their best.
But their problem is they don't cooperate and support each other and they are trying to outsmart each other.

There are terrible experiences in trying to upgrade Nollywood.
Opportunists abuse the privileges.
The French Audio-Visual office has been spending millions on grants to Nigerian filmmakers.
But how do you explain when a Nigerian filmmaker gets a foreign grant and spends three-quarter of the money to buy an expensive car, gets a new apartment and changes his wardrobe and uses only one-quarter to make the film with mediocres who are posing and posturing as proven experts?
Another one I wanted to be my co-producer went behind my back to tell my Dutch collaborators that he would also appreciate it if they helped him to bring in second hand cars into Nigeria. They were embarrassed and disappointed that a so called Nigerian producer was more of a car dealer. Meaning that he would definitely use the grant to import cars. And then when I took him along to meet with the former minister of culture and tourism, he turned it into an Igbo appeal fund by begging the Igbo minister for assistance to travel overseas. I was speechless. I just dropped him without looking back.

The finance is not the issue, but the fact that most of them are opportunists and lack the credibility, honesty, probity and transparency of professionalism.

Nigerians are the same from Lagos to London to Paris to New York to Toronto.
Because, we have those posing and posturing that they are filmmakers and they have not done better than the B-movies being manufactured in Nigeria.
I have watched some movies made by some Nigerians in America and Europe and I was heart broken.

The good Nollywood filmmakers are well known home and abroad and the good Nigerian filmmakers abroad are also well known.
The funny thing is, these geniuses don't even brag like the ones being over-rated on Nairaland and Naijarules. And most of you Nigerians in America and Europe ranting here don't even talk about them, because most of you are ignorant of them. You are equally posing and posturing like the second-class Nollywood movie producers you are making fun of.
The same GIGO.

Ranting on online forums is not the answer.

Leadership is best by example.

Let every Nigerian everywhere prove his or her genius in every occupation and profession
and join in the nation building of a New Nigeria in the leadership of Africa among the comity of nations.

May God help us all.

1 Like

Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Radiant(f): 2:37pm On Jan 13, 2007
Amen! smiley smiley smiley
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by charla(f): 6:03pm On Jan 13, 2007
Na wa for una ooh.Nah everyday some1 dey open mout take curse Nollywood but i dont c any of u complainers doin anything to improve it.Se bi na ur homeland,instead of criticising alone,why not criticise and add ur own lil imput.If we had been doin dis all along.I blive Nollywood cud have progressed greatly.
Those of u dat think d problem is bad directing; make u carry ursef go direct if u think u can do beta.
Those of u who think u can do beta than the actors and actresses in nollywood rite now,go and act.This way,our film industry mite actually become extraordinarily gud(dats if Naija pple fit act,produce or direct de way den dey abuse)
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by dennylove(m): 7:16pm On Jan 13, 2007
CHARLA cheesy abeg, tell them, let them know,all this BASKET MOUTH peoples.
they can only criticise but can not add anything in the NOLLYWOOD MOVIES industry shocked shocked :
cheesy shocked sad
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by okwanuzo3(f): 9:01pm On Jan 14, 2007
what can one expect when films with 2 parts and sometimes 3 are shot in less than a week
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Seun(m): 9:17pm On Jan 14, 2007
Why won't they be shot for less than a week when actors demand so much money for each day on the set?
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Radiant(f): 9:46pm On Jan 14, 2007
I see nothing wrong in criticizing people. Sometimes, it brings out the best in someone. May be we exaggerate sometimes but there's nothing wrong with criticism. Go to Hollywood. It's worse there. Duhh!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Your Top 3 Animated Movies Of All Time / Tolanibaj(bbn)recent Pictures Vs Biggies House On Twitter Goes Viral / Escape Room 2 2021 Free Movie Download In Hindi Dubbed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.