Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,488 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

The Real Problem With Nollywood - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Real Problem With Nollywood (6269 Views)

Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 / Help With Nollywood Movies Sound Track / The Problem With Nollywood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by chichimma(f): 2:37am On Jan 15, 2007
@The One

Yeah, there are Nigerians that cannot go home because they came to Europe without the right documents. So, if they go home it will be hard for them to return back to Europe, so they stay abroad until the documents are resolved which can take years sometimes even more then a decade!
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by rikkyjen(m): 5:46pm On Jan 15, 2007
If 'em organizers of the Razzy award should come to naija, all 'em fims, Directors etc wont be left out. They all deserve it! wink
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by mihai(m): 10:08pm On Jan 15, 2007
@ Dennylove and Charla

We each have our own specialties, mine happens to not be the movie industry, but that does not mean I don't know what's good from what's less than angry. And, as Radiant said, criticism can do wonders, especially when provided in the right way. So please don't tell me not to criticize. What you could do is tell me to criticize positively, i.e. not just say that nollywood sux, but also make suggestions as to how it can be made better e.t.c.

@ Orikinla

I have to admit that I haven't seen many naija movies that I'd say were particularly good. And it would help if the "good" producers advertised themselves a little, there IS a difference between bragging and making your expertise known. And it IS good that we have geniuses. Hell, with all the 419ners we have, I'd be seriously disappointed to find there were no good actors and actresses, or directors. And, as you said, too many of us are opportunists, so maybe what we need more isn't so much a better Nollywood, but a philosophical revolution, if you get my drift. We all know our society is fraught with corruption, opportunists, and the like. Unfortunately, they seem to always find their way to power, even to the upper echelons of our government. Really interesting,  we need reform, but everyone seems to be satisfied sitting on their backside complaining (me included). Everyone, that is, except for those who want to get rich, who doesn't know, after all, that the quickest way to riches is through our government? And, although sad, what you said is true: that a lot of "them" are opportunists, lacking honesty, e.t.c.; but then again, honesty doesn't put food on the table cry.

Your last point is true enough, but I doubt Nigeria is going to be doing any leading (no matter how good Nollywood is) if we don't change how we approach our government and government officials (not to make this into a political argument or anything).
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by justnaught(f): 8:43pm On Jan 16, 2007
I thut it was a Nollywood thing so, Segun and d other guy goin at Hollywood should help cos they are part of Nollywoods problems!!!!!!!!
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by justnaught(f): 8:46pm On Jan 16, 2007
Watz up wit u chichimma? its not the Immigration we talking about!!!!!! Its Nollywood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by chichimma(f): 8:43pm On Jan 17, 2007
@Justnaught

Its all Nollywood we are talking about here. If u read my first response to topic you would know why I added immigration issues

wink
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Ambber(f): 3:40pm On Jan 18, 2007
Nollywood should be changed to copywood or crappywood.

I am yet to see a completely original story and even some movies that could have passed as good would be messed up one way or the other imagine an actress having the same hair style for a stoy that spans up to 10 years. what do they take their audience for? - nitwits?

The excuse that they are just coming up is no longer tenable, a baby that crawls for 10 years is definitely retarded.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Seun(m): 8:27pm On Jan 18, 2007
Another point of view: We are not better than Hollywood. So what? No other industry is better than Hollywood!
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:28pm On Jan 18, 2007
Bollywood!
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by mihai(m): 10:27pm On Jan 18, 2007
lol, thiefofhearts, bollywood is even worse than Nollywood, the way I see it. They make the longest movies I've ever seen in my life. And they'll literally just have a guy and girl chase each other around a tree with cheesy music in the background for like a half-hour. Now, I'm thinking, sooner or later, one of them is either going to get seriously bored, or really tired.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:32pm On Jan 18, 2007
worse than Nollywood? Dream on.

Even the worst Bolly movie is better than the best Nolly movie.

and not all Bollywood movies follow that formula as opposed to most Nollywood movies.

"my parents hate my spouse"
"I was cursed from beyond, I need holy ghost fire"
"I am poor, he is rich. Can our love survive?"
"Im a good girl but I like bad guys"
"My mom hates my spouse cos he/she is poor/barren"
"My family keeps trying to steal my money"
"my husband married a second wife"

blah blah blah.

another than that REALLY pisses me off about Nolly movies is the fact that ANY time they show a woman as being rich

it's either she's from a rich family or she's a prostitute. Apparently in their world, a female cant make her own money. Pathetic.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Ndipe(m): 10:48pm On Jan 18, 2007
Thiefofhearts, Nollywood is a reflection of what goes on in our society, just as Bollywood, and other movies in their respective countries are sometimes mirror of the society at large. You cant expect Nollywood to incorporate American themes into their scene. It is completely different. Sure, cultures are constantly changing, and movies should adapt to the present trend, but Nollywood is trying. I gotta admit though I have watched only several Nigerian movies, but the same goes with Indian movies.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Seun(m): 11:24pm On Jan 18, 2007
The portrayal of women in Nollywood is a reflection of the way male writers think. (I got such a script recently.)
Why can't women write their own movie scripts? Because they are too busy breeding and worshipping their men.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:49pm On Jan 18, 2007
Maybe they do write scripts and the bone-head men refuse to help them with monetary funding cos it doesnt go with their stereotypical ways.

Ndipe:

Thiefofhearts, Nollywood is a reflection of what goes on in our society, just as Bollywood, and other movies in their respective countries are sometimes mirror of the society at large. You can't expect Nollywood to incorporate American themes into their scene.

But they do! all these new Nollywood movies are so pathetic with their blantant ripping off american movies. The speech, everything and it makes me sick.Indigenous movies like native Yoruba and Igbop movies are the ones that truely reflect the Nigerian society and they do it in a way that is interesting and enjoyable. Those are the ones I respect.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Seun(m): 11:58pm On Jan 18, 2007
Maybe they do write scripts and the bone-head men refuse to help them with monetary funding
Why can't women fund their own movies? They are too busy buying clothes to make themselves pretty for men!
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:59pm On Jan 18, 2007
lmao. You are silly, Seun. Men help other men fund movies. Why cant they do the same in Nigeria?
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by dblock(m): 12:02am On Jan 19, 2007
Nah the prob is
[size=14pt]CASH[/size], butta the industry dey change, there'll be a new movie studio for calabar and yeah there are plans for more celluloid movies,
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by justkunmi(m): 12:30am On Jan 19, 2007
celluloid?? shocked naija grin patiently waiting
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by osegwu(m): 1:28pm On Jan 19, 2007
The need good Editors
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Ndipe(m): 9:52pm On Jan 19, 2007
We all need good editors at times@Osegwu, nobody is above mistakes.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by dblock(m): 1:54am On Jan 20, 2007
Oh yeah, and there needs to be a ground line, because you have all these people wanting to act and a lot of them have no real talent. I suggest that a lot of the biggest movie producers and distributors should merge and then compete, so that in the end what we'll have is a tough but productive buisness, these newly formed companies should then look at building there own up class studios all around the nation and then producing the finished material with the latest software and technology. I mean look at hollywood for example, there aren't half as many movie producers and distributors out there, the big guns are obvious; Paramount, Metro Goldwyn Myer and then you have CBS running a lot of the talk shows and soaps you also have 21st century Fox working with the other companies, so it's stiff competition.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Seun(m): 4:33am On Jan 20, 2007
dblock:
there'll be a new movie studio for calabar and yeah there are plans for more celluloid movies
Buhahaha. You're kidding, right? Because the rest of the world is moving in the opposite direction!

Men help other men fund movies.
Why can't women help other women to fund movies in order to represent women correctly in films?
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by dblock(m): 4:37am On Jan 20, 2007
Nahh I'm not kidding, the studio is in Tinapa to be precise and construction is almost finished
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by Seun(m): 4:50am On Jan 20, 2007
But celluloid? The world is going digital, & digital cinema is the future, so why bother with expensive celluloid?
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by folkzy(f): 1:35pm On Jan 20, 2007
It will be a great idea if someone could copy all d critcis to a Nollywood Producer
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by andrewdg(m): 6:15pm On Jan 20, 2007
suen if u want to go into film making, u need to understand what are primary neccesities of a good movie. Its the story and scripting, my brother. i am a script writer or maybe not because non of my works is in the market yet evry producer and marketer tells me they have writers{their brothers from the village]
if u want a story that will sell itself 70percent,call 08052051259. i am also angry with this film problem in naija.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by sophienwa(f): 10:26am On Jan 21, 2007
what trips me the most are the subtitled yoruba movies they make. i just don't get it cos i wonder if they edit those movies at all u know . the grammer is almost always wrong and i just wonder how long it takes to basically read through to correct the errors,for real i would not mind doing it free of charge cos it is so embarrassing watching those movies with non-Nigerians embarassed.
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by molluma(f): 11:20am On Jan 21, 2007
please lets leave our home videos alone.here is a summary of nigerian movies i know its long but try and read it!
1. Every problem you have is spiritual.

2. In every romance movie, someone must die.

3. It is possible to hit a person without actually touching them!

4. Anyone who gets hit by a car dies immediately.

5. Poisoned food always tastes better,

6. The best way to make money is by visiting a
'Babalawo'.

7. At least one of a pair of twins (identical or not)
is born evil.

8. There is never an end to your suffering, except
death!

9. With a pastor,  all things are possible!

10. A movie can be titled anything,  such as - the boy is mine, Two rats, Spanner, Calculator,!

11. A movie has not been made if at least one
actor/actress has not- 'shelled' (twisted his/her lips
to speak wrong phonetics)!

12. You are in love,  you want to take your girl out,
the best place you take her to is,  Mr. Biggs,
Tantalizers, the beach or , , the best, take her to buy some new ugly clothes!

13. An Igbo movie has been made if,
* You visit a 'Babalawo'
* A fleet of cars is shown off
* Kanayo 'O' Kanayo is in the movie
* Pete  Edochie is also there too!
* To get rich it is mandatory you join a cult!

14. Gun shots and Knock-out sound the same!

15. Most times the title has absolutely nothing to do
with the movie.

16. A love story has not been produced if it does not
have one or two of the following cast actresses-
* Stella Damascus
* Stephanie Okereke
* Genevieve Nnaji
* Omotola Jalade
* Rita Dominic

17. The police are extremely 'efficient' unlike their
counterparts in real life,

18. An actress can wear the same hairdo for more than a year,

19. It is permissible to wear very dark shades in the
night!

20. When you are shot in the chest, it really doesn't
matter; your head will be bandaged! Same for your
legs!

21. When advertising a movie, you really should shout because,  people are deaf?

22. When you are extremely poor, you will still be
able to afford- very good furniture, T.V., but you
won't be able to send your kids to school
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by mihai(m): 3:24am On Jan 22, 2007
@ Thiefofhearts
please try to sit through an entire bollywood movie in one seating, then come back and post grin
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by watever(f): 3:38am On Jan 22, 2007
@ molluma
lol, u'r so wicked grin grin grin
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by dblock(m): 4:47am On Jan 22, 2007
Funny stuff, molluma
Re: The Real Problem With Nollywood by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:48am On Jan 22, 2007
mihai:

@ Thiefofhearts
please try to sit through an entire bollywood movie in one seating, then come back and post grin

Unlike some morons, I dont talk about stuff I dont know about. I obviously watch Bollywood movies which is why I talk about them and I think they are good. Better than most Nollywood movies and even some Hollywood as a few of them including "Mother India" was actually nominated for an Oscar in 1962 or so. Durrrr

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fate (ipin) - 2019 Yoruba Movie Starring Bukunmi Oluwashina / M-Net Releases Statement On Olisa Adibua 's Assault On A Co-worker / Download Movie: Fast & Furious(hobbs & Shaw) 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.