Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath (76074 Views)

Daddy Freeze Reacts To Signboard Of 4 Different Churches In The Same Building / Jude Okoye's Comment About 3 Churches In One Building (Photos) / The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by donbenedict(m): 1:13pm On Aug 01, 2016
Elxandre:
G
here is the link to the voting thread. please vote falconey. thanks so much.
https://www.nairaland.com/3261218/mr-nairaland-contest-2016-elimination/12

1 Like

Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by sekundosekundo: 3:02pm On Aug 01, 2016
uzolexis:

Popes used to marry until the 12th century.

Any religion that forbids people from marrying and abstaining from meat (your good friday) is DEMONIC 1st Timothy 4:3
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by uzolexis(f): 3:27pm On Aug 01, 2016
sekundosekundo:

Any religion that forbids people from marrying and abstaining from meat (your good friday) is DEMONIC 1st Timothy 4:3

St Paul said in the Bible that some pole are born Enochs, some become Enochs for the sake of the gospel and that's where Priests fall into...they are Enochs for the sake of the gospel, St. Paul did not marry and he said everyone must not marry and we all know Paul was one of the greatest evangelist of the Gospel, so is he demonic too?
2ndly, the Catholic Church does not forbid you from eating meat, it encourages you to abstain from meat as a form of fasting and sacrifice cos it is believed that most pple love meat.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by sekundosekundo: 6:37pm On Aug 01, 2016
uzolexis:

St Paul said in the Bible that some pole are born Enochs, some become Enochs for the sake of the gospel and that's where Priests fall into...they are Enochs for the sake of the gospel, St. Paul did not marry and he said everyone must not marry and we all know Paul was one of the greatest evangelist of the Gospel, so is he demonic too?
2ndly, the Catholic Church does not forbid you from eating meat, it encourages you to abstain from meat as a form of fasting and sacrifice cos it is believed that most pple love meat.

Apostle Paul didn't marry and that's his personal decision unlike your popes that religion and Catholic doctrine made them not to marry, can't you see how so many of them are messing up. Apostle Paul avoided women unlike your popes and fathers that have sisters cooking for them etc.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by donnie(m): 8:12pm On Aug 01, 2016
Ubenedictus:
And both Jesus and peter spoke aramaic, in aramaic it is 'u are cepha and upon this cepha i will build my church. so stop lying, d aramaic name paul called peter is cepha and it means rock not smal stone.

Lame argument. They spoke Aramic but you weren't there to report it in Aramic and so the writers of the NT reported in Greek. Is it not the English bible you read? You just pick the Aramic Word you think helps your argument. On the contrary, I have studied the original Greek text in which the writers wrote and I gave the exact words used by the writers.

I am telling you the new testament was originally written in Greek and you are here talking rubbish. The old Testament was originally written in Hebrew.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by uzolexis(f): 8:30pm On Aug 01, 2016
sekundosekundo:

Apostle Paul didn't marry and that's his personal decision unlike your popes that religion and Catholic doctrine made them not to marry, can't you see how so many of them are messing up. Apostle Paul avoided women unlike your popes and fathers that have sisters cooking for them etc.

Becoming a Priest is a personal decision, the church does not force anyone into priesthood and you are clearly educated on what it entails before you embark on that journey and you decide whether or not you want to do it. Also, being celibate is not the reason why some Priests mess up. As much as their are Priests who don't obey their vow of celibacy, there are those who do and this is not unique to Priest, there are a lot of Pastors who don't keep to their marital vows and still cheat on their wives. There will always be bad eggs but that does not mean there are no good ones. It's all about self control.

1 Like

Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by sekundosekundo: 10:24pm On Aug 01, 2016
uzolexis:

Becoming a Priest is a personal decision, the church does not force anyone into priesthood and you are clearly educated on what it entails before you embark on that journey and you decide whether or not you want to do it. Also, being celibate is not the reason why some Priests mess up. As much as their are Priests who don't obey their vow of celibacy, there are those who do and this is not unique to Priest, there are a lot of Pastors who don't keep to their marital vows and still cheat on their wives. There will always be bad eggs but that does not mean there are no good ones. It's all about self control.

Catholics are idolaters all their doctrines don't have any biblical backup. You said that saint Peter was the first Pope, just google it and see for yourself.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by uzolexis(f): 5:54am On Aug 02, 2016
sekundosekundo:

Catholics are idolaters all their doctrines don't have any biblical backup. You said that saint Peter was the first Pope, just google it and see for yourself.

You really don't have a point, 1st you talked about good Friday, I explained that to you, next you talked about Priests not getting married and I explained that to you even with biblical back up and cos you have run out of points and your aim is just to paint the Catholic Church bad, you ended up saying we are idolaters and all our doctrines don't have biblical backup even after I have given you biblical backup of one of them. How much if the Catholic Church's doctrine do you know, you need to argue with an open mind if you want to learn. If you have already made up your mind about something there is no need trying to enlighten.
FYI the Catholic Church is the mother of all churches, the 1st Church that ever existed and practised Christianity, all other churches where born from the Catholic Church, so these other churches can't be wiser than their mother who has had more years of experience all over the world.
But then again I'm not condemning any Church cos it's not Church that will give you salvation, it's the way you live your life here on earth, whatever religion or Church you feel comfortable worshipping God in is ok, that's what matters most IMO.

1 Like

Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Nobody: 6:25am On Aug 02, 2016
Handsomecole:
Proudly Roman Catholic, church found by no human other than our Lord Jesus Christ himself with Apostle Peter the Ist Pope. Over 2500 years of existence with unbroken tradition with over 4 billion worshippers around every corner of the Earth.

We are Catholics we are Proud... grin

There are about 2 billion Christians in the world, now you doubled that up to make your group 4 billion, you guys like to spread lies like your doctrines.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by sekundosekundo: 5:28pm On Aug 02, 2016
uzolexis:

You really don't have a point, 1st you talked about good Friday, I explained that to you, next you talked about Priests not getting married and I explained that to you even with biblical back up and cos you have run out of points and your aim is just to paint the Catholic Church bad, you ended up saying we are idolaters and all our doctrines don't have biblical backup even after I have given you biblical backup of one of them. How much if the Catholic Church's doctrine do you know, you need to argue with an open mind if you want to learn. If you have already made up your mind about something there is no need trying to enlighten.
FYI the Catholic Church is the mother of all churches, the 1st Church that ever existed and practised Christianity, all other churches where born from the Catholic Church, so these other churches can't be wiser than their mother who has had more years of experience all over the world.
But then again I'm not condemning any Church cos it's not Church that will give you salvation, it's the way you live your life here on earth, whatever religion or Church you feel comfortable worshipping God in is ok, that's what matters most IMO.

You are the one quoting out of point here, no doctrine made Apostle Paul not to marry, your popes don't marry cos of Catholic doctrine. Your good friday and your abstinence from red meat on that day are not biblical. Your Catholic Church is not the mother of all Churches, the first church was SDA which was later highjacked by the Roman Empire and changed the day of worship from Saturday to Sunday and that's the origin of Sunday worship. My dear, everything about Catholic is based on doctrine and not biblical.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by btoks: 10:49pm On Aug 02, 2016
sekundosekundo:

You are the one quoting out of point here, no doctrine made Apostle Paul not to marry, your popes don't marry cos of Catholic doctrine. Your good friday and your abstinence from red meat on that day are not biblical. Your Catholic Church is not the mother of all Churches, the first church was SDA which was later highjacked by the Roman Empire and changed the day of worship from Saturday to Sunday and that's the origin of Sunday worship. My dear, everything about Catholic is based on doctrine and not biblical.
1st church was Seventh Day Adventist tongue!!! Hahaha
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by mamabature: 2:40am On Aug 03, 2016
The G.O MFM is from Epe, not Ondo.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by sekundosekundo: 4:27am On Aug 03, 2016
btoks:
1st church was Seventh Day Adventist tongue!!! Hahaha

During the earthly ministry of Jesus, was church services held on Sundays?.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 10:16am On Aug 04, 2016
donnie:

Lame argument. They spoke Aramic but you weren't there to report it in Aramic and so the writers of the NT reported in Greek. Is it not the English bible you read? You just pick the Aramic Word you think helps your argument. On the contrary, I have studied the original Greek text in which the writers wrote and I gave the exact words used by the writers.

I am telling you the new testament was originally written in Greek and you are here talking rubbish. The old Testament was originally written in Hebrew.
well paul gave us the aramaic equivalent right there in d bible when he called him cephas. i dont need the new testament to be written in aramaic, the new testament already gave me the name Jesus used and it isnt petros
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by JAWBONE(m): 12:58pm On Aug 10, 2016
Ubenedictus:
matt 16:16-19 Jesus gave peter the keys of the kingdom, if u read Is 22:22 u'll see that d keys are distinguishing marks of the prime minister, whoever is given keys in d davidic kingdom is also given an office. by that single act Jesus made peter leader of the church. in jn 21:15-17 we see that Jesus gave him particularly d ministry of taking care of d church before he went to heaven. there is no church dat predate the catholic church.
If you say peter was the first pope and other popes are his successor...can u tell then who was the second, third, fourth.... etc and trace their lineage to this generation.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by virtouswife: 1:17pm On Aug 10, 2016
no point arguing...
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 11:25pm On Aug 16, 2016
JAWBONE:

If you say peter was the first pope and other popes are his successor...can u tell then who was the second, third, fourth.... etc and trace their lineage to this generation.
D 2nd is linus, then clement, anicletus after those we had several in no particular order pius, sixtus, gregory, damascus, innocent, john... till d present francis.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by btoks: 3:21pm On Aug 17, 2016
JAWBONE:

Easy one ,as there is a lot of recorded history about popes in particular
List of popes:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12272b.htm
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 17, 2016
Elzends:
Catholic Church..
Founder... Jesus Christ.. 2000yrs ago
1st leader.... Saint Peter the apostle
Current leader pope Francis the 1st
Has millions of lay faithfuls all over the world
#proudlycatholic#

Muslims n Anglicans oya add ur own

For all the myopic ones quoting me https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Catholic_Church

Am still trying to see ur point, all I see is a catholic source in support of ur claim.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 4:39pm On Aug 17, 2016
JMAN05:

Am still trying to see ur point, all I see is a catholic source in support of ur claim.
So wiki is a catholic source?
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 17, 2016
Ubenedictus:
So wiki is a catholic source?

Ubani even you do not know that wiki is not a good source? That first paragraph, I suppose its where the op got his position from, is drawn from Catholic News Service. If you say wiki, you ve said nothing basically.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Nobody: 4:56pm On Aug 17, 2016
Ubenedictus:
D 2nd is linus, then clement, anicletus after those we had several in no particular order pius, sixtus, gregory, damascus, innocent, john... till d present francis.

Ubeni why do u think John would be alive and another person will become 'pope'?
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 7:22pm On Aug 17, 2016
JMAN05:

Ubeni why do u think John would be alive and another person will become 'pope'?
that is pretty simply, john was never known to fight for power, he had no reason to. after d apostles dispersed john later headed the church in ephesus and its environs. while Jesus was alive he didnt give d keys to john, do u think john wil start looking for dat position when peter died? no, he knew what had been given to him and what hadn't been given. history shows that peter commission bishops to succed him and after his death they succeded him as leader.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 7:23pm On Aug 17, 2016
JMAN05:

Ubani even you do not know that wiki is not a good source? That first paragraph, I suppose its where the op got his position from, is drawn from Catholic News Service. If you say wiki, you ve said nothing basically.
KIndly correct my username pls. and who say the source is wrong?
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by JAWBONE(m): 8:03pm On Aug 17, 2016
Ubenedictus:
There is No record of Peter being made the leader of a particular church denomination in the Bible or handing over to a Linus
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by btoks: 8:22pm On Aug 17, 2016
JAWBONE:

There is No record of Peter being made the leader of a particular church denomination in the Bible or handing over to a Linus
All of Christian history is not recorded in the Bible. You'll find a lot of info from3rd century historian- Eusebius church history.see the following excerpt from his book :

Chapter II.—The First Ruler of the Church of Rome.

1. After the martyrdom of Paul and of Peter, Linus576 was the first to obtain the episcopate of the church at Rome. Paul mentions him, when writing to Timothy from Rome, in the salutation at the end of the epistle.577

Follow this link for the whole book
 http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf201.iii.viii.iii.html
«
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 12:11am On Aug 18, 2016
JAWBONE:

The church has no denominations, it is u protestants who started d denomination thing in the 1600AD.

As to records, the bible didnt record everything, it didnt record d death of peter or paul or john, it doesnt tell us d missionary work of andrew, or matthew... but the early christians kept those records and put them down in their writtings, they clearly tell us what happen after peter died and who succeeded him.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 18, 2016
Ubenedictus:
KIndly correct my username pls. and who say the source is wrong?

I said I see catholic source, you are there questioning me. Now you know. It is all catholic claiming Jesus founded RCC.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 18, 2016
Ubenedictus:
that is pretty simply, john was never known to fight for power, he had no reason to. after d apostles dispersed john later headed the church in ephesus and its environs. while Jesus was alive he didnt give d keys to john, do u think john wil start looking for dat position when peter died? no, he knew what had been given to him and what hadn't been given. history shows that peter commission bishops to succed him and after his death they succeded him as leader.

So, peter fought for power and got the key, after which Linus fought for power and Jesus gave it to him. Basically, you should fight for power to get it. This is surely not a power issued by Jesus then.

Which key of pope did Jesus give to peter and show us where Peter commissioned bishops for the purposes of replacing him.

So John who is among the pilars in the congregation will be left by Peter and Jesus while Linus and Clement will be picked? We ve not even spoken about Paul.

Where was these Linus and Clement when Paul went to meet James, Peter and John for partnership? Gal 2:9
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Nobody: 4:34pm On Aug 18, 2016
btoks:

All of Christian history is not recorded in the Bible. You'll find a lot of info from3rd century historian- Eusebius church history.see the following excerpt from his book :

Chapter II.—The First Ruler of the Church of Rome.

1. After the martyrdom of Paul and of Peter, Linus576 was the first to obtain the episcopate of the church at Rome. Paul mentions him, when writing to Timothy from Rome, in the salutation at the end of the epistle.577

Follow this link for the whole book
 http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf201.iii.viii.iii.html
«

Do u think that if there were one man rule over the whole church, that the scriptures would not say it? Rather Paul went to a meeting where James, John and Peter were to receive right hand of fellowship. Gal 2:9

This one man ruling over the universal church is never scripture. As such, any so called history that contradicts scripture is false.

If there were appointment by Peter and Paul, it would never be for any of the appointee to succeed them in a claimed rukership that does not exist.

If there is any such appointment, it would be for such an appointee to represent the apostle in handling matters in such country/congregation. Like Paul telling Titus as regards Crete (Titus 1:5) or Paul giving Timothy an assignment in some congregations. 1tim 3:1-10, 14, 15. Thats a possibility that is scriptural. All these papal list is not from the apostles. There were no one man rule nor successor for any previous ruler.
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 8:07am On Aug 21, 2016
JMAN05:

I said I see catholic source, you are there questioning me. Now you know. It is all catholic claiming Jesus founded RCC.
I guess u have an early xtian writter that say otherwise?
Re: Churches In Nigeria And Their Founders - Newsmath by Ubenedictus(m): 8:13am On Aug 21, 2016
JMAN05:

So, peter fought for power and got the key, after which Linus fought for power and Jesus gave it to him. Basically, you should fight for power to get it. This is surely not a power issued by Jesus then.

Which key of pope did Jesus give to peter and show us where Peter commissioned bishops for the purposes of replacing him.

So John who is among the pilars in the congregation will be left by Peter and Jesus while Linus and Clement will be picked? We ve not even spoken about Paul.

Where was these Linus and Clement when Paul went to meet James, Peter and John for partnership? Gal 2:9
I guess u cant understand simple english. leadership in the church isnt for the most holy or even d oldest, it is for whom is chosen and given. peter was chosen not john and linus after him. he didnt need to b d most educated he was chosen. the keys were given in matt 16:19 and early xtian writings tel us who succeded peter.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man Sent Out Of Lagos Church For Wearing This (Photo) / CAN Accuses Peak Milk Company Of Offensive Advert, Demands Apology / Daddy Freeze To Pastor Adeboye: "Pope Drinks Beer And Doesn't Pay Tithe"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.