Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,480 members, 7,830,411 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly (2855 Views)

Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? / ”How To Identify A Yoruba Demon” Church Program By Harvesters International / 4 Simple Ways To Identify Your Helpers Of Destiny (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by Eddlad: 8:00pm On Jul 30, 2016
If Christianity is real it can't be fought, if it ain't it will eventually retire into man's historic books of past religions.
If I were an atheist I wouldnt waste my time,energy and megabyte over it.
Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by onetrack(m): 8:02pm On Jul 30, 2016
I am 1,2,3 and 4 of the above categories.
Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jul 30, 2016
onetrack:
I am 1,2,3 and 4 of the above categories.

Anti-theists are outspoken, devoted and – at times – confrontational about their disbelief. They believe that “obvious fallacies in religion and belief should be aggressively addressed in some form or another.”

Seun I hope you are observing!

Meanwhile onetrack your Atheistic cocktail is a study in itself. So how would you be able to have an identity or you just swing any way the wind blows from 1 to 4.

1 Like

Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jul 30, 2016
hmmmm, i fall in many categorygrin
Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 30, 2016
Vicoch:
hmmmm, i fall in many categorygrin

Specifically?
Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by Seun(m): 8:38pm On Jul 30, 2016
winner01:
Seun you know in your heart of hearts that christ did not teach violence. You should be more concerned about hundreds of lives lost to islam on a daily basis.
Accepted. The Jesus of Mark, Luke and Matthew was a pacifist.

naijadeyhia:
Families who go to church on sundays and also stay up on fridays do so based on their choice!
Christians who don't go to church on Sunday are usually pressured by other churchgoers, so it's not really a free choice. The Bible says not to forsake the assembly of the brethren also. However, going to church is not entirely bad. Praise worship with aggressive dancing is good for those who want to lose weight. Practical sermons e.g. the ones Pastor Bimbo Odukoya used to give are useful too.

Pastors do not choose spouses for anyone...
It happens in some churches. In others, pastors don't choose for you but they can refuse to conduct the marriage if your partner is not a member of the church, because they don't want to lose your tithes membership. The Bible doesn't say a man MUST find a wife by himself by the way.

Again I say that you have no moral foundation which is why you say masturbation and homosexuality is perfectly alright afterall homosexuality is also sexual attraction. If a man approaches you for sex seun would you consent to it? Especially if nobody sees you? Pls answer this.
Are you a repressed homosexual? It's typical for repressed homosexuals to see homosexuality everywhere even if no one said anything about it. I didn't say anything about homosexuality. I have no interest in it.

But yes, masturbation is normal. Ask any doctor. Also, it's normal to be moved by the sight of an attractive person. You are not committing adultery in your heart by responding to what you see. That's what I am saying.

The issue of witchcraft is based on the individual and location and not a general christian view that witches should be punished.
If you teach people that witches exist and could be responsible for their problems in life, it is inevitable that some people will be falsely accused of witchcraft and mistreated. False beliefs cause people to make bad decisions. An atheist could never think someone is a witch not to mention harming the person because he knows that there are no witches.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by winner01(m): 9:00pm On Jul 30, 2016
Seun:

An aggressive muslim murders infidels. An aggressive christian murders abortion doctors. An aggressive atheist makes youtube videos. undecided
Seun you know in your heart of hearts that christ did not teach violence. You should be more concerned about hundreds of lives lost to islam on a daily basis.

Seun:
Bleep those communists, though that's the past and doesn't apply to 2016 atheists. Let's go back to the main topic.

I think there's a strong case to be made for anti-theism. Religious people are really suffering under the yoke of beliefs that are not true. cry
In the link that KingEbukaNaija referred you to, I gave more than sufficient screen grabs to prove that if many of 2016 atheists get to the place of power, they could be as murderous as those past atheist leaders all cos they wanna get rid of religion forever.

Seun:

Poor people are asked to pay 10% of their income to their rich pastors. That's immoral. Those who can't afford to pay it are made to believe that they are robbing God and therefore bad things will happen to them. That's wicked. Others are forced or brainwashed to dress in black sacks that cover their entire bodies except their eyes while in public, even though they live in hot deserts. The sick are accused of not having faith etc.
Everybody is free to believe what they want to believe, you cant force or coerce peoples will or nature to believe.

Seun:
Families spend their Sundays in church instead of resting and enjoying each others' company. They also lose their sleep on Fridays.

Young men and women pick marital partners according to "God's will" as revealed by pastors whose main motivation is not their happiness.

Teens are made to feel crippling guilt over sexual attraction and masturbation, which are perfectly normal and healthy according to doctors.

Little children are tortured, and left to starve to death because their parents were told that they are witches, whereas witches do not exist.

So there's a strong case for anti-theism. People should not feel ashamed to be identified as "anti-theists" or even "militant atheists". The term "militant atheism" is misleading though. Richard Dawkins is no more militant than Pastor Adeboye or Eunice Elisha. He doesn't bear arms.
Leaving the spiritual aside. Sunday services help to bring people together, to provide a sort of bond within society, it facilitates meet ups too.

Pastors do not pick wives or husbands for spouses, but they encourage more prayers and watchfullness (observations) and also give advises and counsels to people who have chosen themselves

Masturbation has a very high risk of addiction and could ruin the life of a naive person. It may cause premature ejaculation and may reduce sexual connection and may also cause low sperm count. It reduces sexual and physical drive, robs one of confidence, and may induce an introverted nature.

Parents who starve their children and accuse them of being witches are not doing it because Christ said so. Christ preached love even for enemies, if you call a person a christ-ian, at least try to check if he is really following the teachings of christ.

If anti theism is right, then I see nothing wrong in anti atheism. Some people like me will forever reject the idea of meaninglessness and purposelessness. And so If some people are trying hard to rid me of meaning and purpose, then it is reasonable that i start to fight for my freedom.

Seun:
Christians who don't go to church on Sunday are usually pressured by other churchgoers, so it's not really a free choice. The Bible says not to forsake the assembly of the brethren also. However, going to church is not entirely bad. Praise worship with aggressive dancing is good for those who want to lose weight. Practical sermons e.g. the ones Pastor Bimbo Odukoya used to give are useful too.

Christians are not pressured by church goers for anything.
The church is not a building, christians are the church.
Many of my friends do not go to church, and no one bats an eye lid. The same happened when I was still in school.

Seun:

It happens in some churches. In others, pastors don't choose for you but they can refuse to conduct the marriage if your partner is not a member of the church, because they don't want to lose your tithes membership. The Bible doesn't say a man MUST find a wife by himself by the way.
If a church does not conduct marriage, its simple, find another church and its not compulsory you wed in a church. You can cal a pastor and do it in any other building.

The Bible says: "He that findeth a wife". The Bible did not mention the help or approval of a pastor, all those things can only be found in the religious aspects of christianity.

Seun:

But yes, masturbation is normal. Ask any doctor. Also, it's normal to be moved by the sight of an attractive person. You are not committing adultery in your heart by responding to what you see. That's what I am saying.
Maybe you need to do a google check on the side effects of masturbation. Honestly.

Seun:

If you teach people that witches exist and could be responsible for their problems in life, it is inevitable that some people will be falsely accused of witchcraft and mistreated. False beliefs cause people to make bad decisions. An atheist could never think someone is a witch not to mention harming the person because he knows that there are no witches.
Im yet to see where witches are maimed and burnt in this society.

It probably happens in villages where people are too stubborn to leave their devilish superstitions and embrace love for all as preached by Christ.

If not for a christian mary slessor, twins will still be regarded as an abomination in some parts of Nigeria and will be killed on sight.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by Eddlad: 9:15pm On Jul 30, 2016
Seun:

Are you a repressed homosexual? It's typical for repressed homosexuals to see homosexuality everywhere even if no one said anything about it. I didn't say anything about homosexuality. I have no interest in it.

They say get your facts right before you distort them as you please, half of what you are saying isnt even properly applied,the other half is probably a new bible you have.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 30, 2016
Seun:

My deduction is that you are speaking from a personal pasr experience. Christians out of concern can show concern per why nobody sae you in church. Its not coercion its concern. It could be that such a one was indisposed and nobody knew so quit your false claim. The counsel of being encouraged to always be in church is mostly so you wouldnt be alone and so more people can easily identify you if you have problems and your faith can be encouraged by other people you meet as they may have been able to come out of a situation you are currently in. The focus is the brethren......so this shows that community and communion is crucial to christian growth...its always an encouragement and not forced on anyone. Its for the one being encouraged to agree or not...no arm twisting or gun to the head involved.

Membership or no membership of a church does not determine marriage and again you mention tithe which I already addressed. " HE THAG FINDETH A WIFE FINDETH A GOOD THING AND RECEIVES FAVOR FROM THE LORD" Proverbs 18v 22. Perhaps in the community and environment where you come from wives are impossed on men but in Christianity we choose wives. People can recommend but ultimately the choice is left to the man.

Homosexuality is vile and if you a moraly bankrupt being can detest it how much more me with a moral base.

If your moral bankruptcy tells you that masturbation is physically right so that makes ot spiritually right as well I will not desuade you because its obvious you do love masturbating afterall to you its perfectly alright so keep it up. You are a real handy man!

Again this is based on choice and understanding. Witchcraft under scripture is same thing as wickedness. Its not just a spiritual thing but also a physical thing. A wicked person shares the same spirit as someone possessed with witchcraft. Your lack of belief in this does not stop it from being real. Its like being in the sea and wishing the water would go away. If some churches preach about witches and wizards daily that is their problem....we follow Christ and He is the true foundation of the truth.. Jesus never preached witches and wizards not because they did not exist in His time but because He understood spiritual hierarchy and wouldn't be bothered by them. Any ministry still preaching that are yet to be founded in Christ and truth.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by winner01(m): 10:33pm On Jul 30, 2016
Seun, below are some disadvantages of masturbation.

1.       Masturbation makes you weak, it drains protein and calcium content in the body

2.       Masturbation creates nervousness and neurological problems

3.       Masturbation is one of the main cause for erectile dysfunction.

4.       Masturbation addicts you even if you taste it for one time. Controlling it is a very big menace.

5.       Masturbation creates drowsiness; you will be sleeping most of the time after ejaculation of your sperm. You will experience a damn tired.

6.       Masturbation causes stress and strain in your mind and soul.

7.       Masturbation also affects us psychologically; it creates depression after ejaculation and makes one feeling bad on his own.

8.       Getting red hot while masturbating will give a bad name in that environment and it is an indecent activity.

9.       Masturbation cannot be done simply, it needs to see, touch, indulge or, at last to think of a sexual practice/ sex organ of the opposite sex. This is more harmful that the image in your memory that you see could not be erased easily. This will lead you to a noxious problem that you cannot see any girl/ lady/ women without a single thought i.e., sex.

10.   Masturbation creates an urge to do indefinitely; it doesn’t see the place, people and culture. It makes you digging worse sexual problems if chance knocks the door.

11.   Masturbation leads you to illegal contacts because the urge increases day by day and finally will lead to the search of a source for sexual pleasure.

12.   Masturbation is the main reason for speedy sperm release during sexual intercourse. It will create dissatisfaction to you and to your wife.

13.   Over masturbation reduces your sperm count. Couples who desire to get pregnant should not masturbate.

14.   SThe seminal fluid that gets released on masturbation contains proteins that are needed for many metabolic activities and cell formations. Proteins are the building blocks of our body; ejaculation often will create you to be lean and distracts your metabolism of muscle building.

15.   Ethically masturbation is wrong; you think of X/Y and do sex of your own. This hinders your values and respect for others. You may be are good in all other regards but will end up in a great problem if not concerned to stop this habit.

16.   Masturbation wastes your time and makes you useless.

17.   The pleasure of masturbation never lasts for a long time.

18.   Masturbation creates more problems as you lose your memory and thought-provoking ability.

19.   Masturbation is not the end of your desire; you may be fooled by your own practice. It will never give you a solution or a satisfaction but seems that it gives.

20.   It is not needed in any way to your sexual life that it has to be practiced without fail.

21.   Guys who masturbate will lose interest in sex with their wife very soon. They can’t feel pleasurable for a long time.

22.   Masturbation induces homosexuals in schools, colleges and hostels. Many times the latter creates sexually transmitted diseases like VD, syphilis, AIDS etc.,

Referencess:
Bosland MC. The etiopathogenesis of prostatic cancer with special reference to environmental factors. Advances in Cancer Research 1988;51:1–106.

Brody&Costa, 2009; Das, Parish,&Laumann, 2009; Gerressu, Mercer, Graham, Wellings,&Johnson, 2008; Lau, Wang, Cheng, & Yang, 2005; Nutter & Condron, 1985. Masturbation frequency is so often associated with impaired sexual function in men.
Masturbation, MouthAction, and anal sex predictors of less satisfaction in relationships: Brody S, Costa RM. Satisfaction (sexual, life, relationship, and mental health) is associated directly with penile-vaginal intercourse but inversely with other sexual behavior frequencies. The journal of sexual medicine 2009;6:1947–54.

Das A. Less happiness: Masturbation in the United States. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy 2007;33:301–17.

Sofikitis NV, Miyagawa I. Endocrinological, biophysical, and biochemical parameters of semen collected via masturbation versus sexual intercourse. Journal of Andrology 1993;14:366–73.

Corona G, Ricca V, Boddi V, Bandini E, Lotti F, Fisher AD, Sforza A, Forti G, Mannucci E, Maggi M. Autoeroticism, mental health, and organic disturbances in patients with erectile dysfunction. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2010;7:182–91.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by wirinet(m): 12:12am On Jul 31, 2016
@ OP
Why are you so obsessed with atheists, and equally obsessed with defining what atheism is. Why are you not satisfied with the simple definition of atheism, which is simply a lack of theism or simply put lack of belief in any God. As long as you do not believe in a god, you are an atheist - nothing more, nothing less.

I for one had never really believed in a God. While i was young i passed through the motions parents take their children through, ie, got baptized, went to Sunday school, join the choir, etc, but i never really understood or even thought about what God is. That was even before i showed interest in the sciences. So as soon as i left home, i threw away all vestiges of Christianity and felt free.
When i was at university of Ife, my born again classmates and I would argue till dawn about Christianity and it's imposed salvation, but later, i found out that arguments leads to no where and everyone was set in their positions. So i stopped arguing with Christians. Even here on nairaland, i avoid senseless religious arguments, i only try and corrects scientific misconceptions, lies and falsehood being propaganda by some ignorant or mischievous theists.

I do not try to convert anybody, even my wife is a good born again Christian who performs all religious obligation. The only one i quarrel with is the so called night vigil. To me, i do not see the sense in a married woman staying all night in the name of special prayers, as if god does not hear prayers in daylight hours. Besides, there is no biblical basis for night vigils, it sounds more like an African traditional religious practice.

So which category will you put someone like me.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by hopefulLandlord: 12:25am On Jul 31, 2016
winner01:
Seun, below are some disadvantages of masturbation.

1.       Masturbation makes you weak, it drains protein and calcium content in the body

Pure misconception, this arose from the thinking that once you ejac, since you're not doing it with a vag, you ejac and receive nothing in return

However there's no difference between a condom user having sex with a woman and a man capping, since even if a teenager is advised to use condom, it has same effect

And guess what? A girl giving you oral, handjob, anal has the same effect

2.       Masturbation creates nervousness and neurological problems
Nope, excess of it does and like the local saying goes "too much of anything is bad"

3.       Masturbation is one of the main cause for erectile dysfunction.
It can cause it and rarely does, it is NOT one of the main causes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erectile_dysfunction

4.       Masturbation addicts you even if you taste it for one time. Controlling it is a very big menace.
So does anything else that's enjoyable including sex, internet, videogames, sports heck even water (read up on the meaning of "addiction"wink

5.       Masturbation creates drowsiness; you will be sleeping most of the time after ejaculation of your sperm. You will experience a damn tired.

Having mindblowing sex has the same effect

Once I've ejac into the Vageena, I wanna rest and sleep if possible

6.       Masturbation causes stress and strain in your mind and soul.

Really?

7.       Masturbation also affects us psychologically; it creates depression after ejaculation and makes one feeling bad on his own.
That's if you're doing it in excess and are now dependent on it, if properly spaced, like 2-3 times a week, it won't

This depression usually arises when you start trying to use masturbation to cure boredom

8.       Getting red hot while masturbating will give a bad name in that environment and it is an indecent activity.
You do have a point here especially in Nigeria but most girls too don't like being seen while having sex with their boyfriends, its just a code

9.       Masturbation cannot be done simply, it needs to see, touch, indulge or, at last to think of a sexual practice/ sex organ of the opposite sex. This is more harmful that the image in your memory that you see could not be erased easily. This will lead you to a noxious problem that you cannot see any girl/ lady/ women without a single thought i.e., sex.

Bros, that's hardly a masturbation issue, its natural to lust, its a man thing, heck women do too, they just hide it better

10.   Masturbation creates an urge to do indefinitely; it doesn’t see the place, people and culture. It makes you digging worse sexual problems if chance knocks the door.

Really? Sex doesn't?

11.   Masturbation leads you to illegal contacts because the urge increases day by day and finally will lead to the search of a source for sexual pleasure.

I don't understand this

12.   Masturbation is the main reason for speedy sperm release during sexual intercourse. It will create dissatisfaction to you and to your wife.

Funfact: Masturbation can be used to treat such problems, google it

13.   Over masturbation reduces your sperm count. Couples who desire to get pregnant should not masturbate.
Like I said, excess of it is bad, hence "Overmasturbation"
By "couple" you're including the woman too?

14.   SThe seminal fluid that gets released on masturbation contains proteins that are needed for many metabolic activities and cell formations. Proteins are the building blocks of our body; ejaculation often will create you to be lean and distracts your metabolism of muscle building.

So is having lots of sex with condom, receiving oral or handjob

15.   Ethically masturbation is wrong; you think of X/Y and do sex of your own. This hinders your values and respect for others. You may be are good in all other regards but will end up in a great problem if not concerned to stop this habit.

Really?

16.   Masturbation wastes your time and makes you useless.

Pure conjecture

17.   The pleasure of masturbation never lasts for a long time.

Bros, google certain techniques and be enlightened

18.   Masturbation creates more problems as you lose your memory and thought-provoking ability.

Pure conjecture

19.   Masturbation is not the end of your desire; you may be fooled by your own practice. It will never give you a solution or a satisfaction but seems that it gives.

So is sex

20.   It is not needed in any way to your sexual life that it has to be practiced without fail.

21.   Guys who masturbate will lose interest in sex with their wife very soon. They can’t feel pleasurable for a long time.

22.   Masturbation induces homosexuals in schools, colleges and hostels. Many times the latter creates sexually transmitted diseases like VD, syphilis, AIDS etc.,

Aaaaarrrghhhh

Do these sound valid?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by onetrack(m): 12:43am On Jul 31, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Anti-theists are outspoken, devoted and – at times – confrontational about their disbelief. They believe that “obvious fallacies in religion and belief should be aggressively addressed in some form or another.”

Seun I hope you are observing!

Meanwhile onetrack your Atheistic cocktail is a study in itself. So how would you be able to have an identity or you just swing any way the wind blows from 1 to 4.

My identity is fine thanks. I am all of those without difficulty.
Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by Nobody: 7:06am On Jul 31, 2016
1, 2, 3, 4, 6

naijadeyhia:

Specifically?
Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by winner01(m): 9:14am On Jul 31, 2016
wirinet:

[size=13pt]I do not try to convert anybody, even my wife is a good born again Christian[/size]

Common sense category.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by Tobitrueman(m): 12:25pm On Jul 31, 2016
winner01:

Common sense category.

Common sense category of an atheist or self-righteous individuals or what sir?
Please help me throw more light on this sir
Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by tempem: 2:47pm On Jul 31, 2016
Shaking my head. .. Who propounded the atheist's believe? Human! And yet they don't want to be brainwashed. Lol! So funny.
Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by starpower(m): 8:39pm On Jul 31, 2016
Non- theist. As for me religion is a personal thing, my dad enjoys arguing with others, I don't want to discuss religion at all
Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by neocortex: 10:28pm On Jul 31, 2016
Tintinnoty:

you so sure witches and wizards don't exist? That motion should be restricted to this platform. I have no issues with you being atheist but trying to there're no witches and wizard i stronglly don't buy such idea

They only exist in your imagination and made-up stories.
Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by virginboy1(m): 8:24am On Aug 01, 2016
Seun:
Families spend their Sundays in church instead of resting and enjoying each others' company. They also lose their sleep on Fridays.

Young men and women pick marital partners according to "God's will" as revealed by pastors whose main motivation is not their happiness.

Teens are made to feel crippling guilt over sexual attraction and masturbation, which are perfectly normal and healthy according to doctors.

Little children are tortured, and left to starve to death because their parents were told that they are witches, whereas witches do not exist.

So there's a strong case for anti-theism. People should not feel ashamed to be identified as "anti-theists" or even "militant atheists". The term "militant atheism" is misleading though. Richard Dawkins is no more militant than Pastor Adeboye or Eunice Elisha. He doesn't bear arms.

My pastor be like "You must marry before you sex"

I was like pastor "conji dey kill me ooo"

pastor be like "pray against it, it is the devil that is tempting you,go and marry"

I said "But I don't have the money and resources to start a family for now"

Pastor said, have faith,fast and believe. "I BELIEVED"

but it had not still reduced my "high inherent libido drive"

Hmmmm

Maybe a doctor will give me a more tentative approach.

1 Like

Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by virginboy1(m): 2:57pm On Aug 01, 2016
naijadeyhia:
Hello my Atheist friends on Nairaland. Over time I have come to know and enjoy having dialogues with many of you on issues concerning God or a lack of God.

However dor sake of clarity for myself and for you I am presenting a table of descriptions of the various kinds of Atheists in the world so you can accurately identify yours and so you can be addressdd specifically based on your identity.

Recent Study has shown that Atheism is in 6 kinds and although many here on NL believe Atheism is the lack of belief in God or gods or higher powers.....sorry but its way more than that.

Below is the description of individual Atheistic traits so pick your particular kind.

[b]Are you an Atheist? If yes, pick the category you belong below;

1) Intellectual atheist/agnostic

This type of nonbeliever seeks information and intellectual stimulation about atheism.

They like debating and arguing, particularly on popular Internet sites.

They’re also well-versed in books and articles about religion and atheism, and prone to citing those works frequently.

2) Activist

These kinds of atheists and agnostics are not content with just disbelieving in God; they want to tell others why they reject religion and why society would be better off if we all did likewise.

They tend to be vocal about political causes like gay rights, feminism, the environment and the care of animals.

3) Seeker-agnostic

This group is made up of people who are unsure about the existence of a God but keep an open mind and recognize the limits of human knowledge and experience.

They are the people who regularly question their own beliefs and “do not hold a firm ideological position.”

That doesn’t mean this group is confused, they just embrace uncertainty.

4) Anti-theist

This group regularly speaks out against religion and religious beliefs, usually by positioning themselves as “diametrically opposed to religious ideology,”.

“Anti-theists view religion as ignorance and see any individual or institution associated with it as backward and socially detrimental,” the researchers wrote. “The Anti-Theist has a clear and – in their view, superior – understanding of the limitations and danger of religions.”

5) Non-theist

The smallest group among the six are the non-theists, people who do not involve themselves with either religion or anti-religion.

In many cases, this comes across as apathy or disinterest.

“A Non-Theist simply does not concern him or herself with religion,“Religion plays no role or issue in one’s consciousness or worldview; nor does a Non- Theist have concern for the atheist or agnostic movement.”

“They simply do not believe, and in the same right, their absence of faith means the absence of anything religion in any form from their mental space.”

6) Ritual atheist

They don’t believe in God, they don’t associate with religion, and they tend to believe there is no afterlife, but the sixth type of nonbeliever still finds useful the teachings of some religious traditions.

“They see these as more or less philosophical teachings of how to live life and achieve happiness than a path to transcendental liberation, “For example, these individuals may participate in specific rituals, ceremonies, musical opportunities, meditation, yoga classes, or holiday traditions.”

For many of these nonbelievers, their adherence to ritual may stem from family traditions. For others, its a personal connection to, or respect for, the “profound symbolism” inherent within religious rituals, beliefs and ceremonies.
[/b]

Throwing this warm invitation to all Atheists and their well wishers

NB: This is an attempt to get to know and understand you better.......cheers!

cc; KingEbukasBlog, Richirich713, thoniameek, anas09, Tufanja, elantraceey, OLAADEGBU, KingEbukaNaija, ceeted, Chidexter, lezz, analice107, bxcode, Topeakintola, UyiIredia, Tellemall, vooks, Ishilove, sukkot, gatiano, mrpresident1, Drefan2, Strawman, dazzle101, lalasticlala, seun, Dejideji1, Farmerforlife, muafrika2, 4evergod2, udysweet, Edelweiss44, cloudgoddess, dalaman, weah96, hopefullandlord, winner01

If it is so, then almost all our politicians and some pastors are atheist, because "dem no dey fear GOD
Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by Nobody: 4:07pm On Aug 01, 2016
Atheists in nairaland want us to believe they are Non-theist(5), but fail woefully because they're really just Activists(2) and intellectual atheists(1)
Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by virginboy1(m): 4:35pm On Aug 01, 2016
wirinet:
@ OP
Why are you so obsessed with atheists, and equally obsessed with defining what atheism is. Why are you not satisfied with the simple definition of atheism, which is simply a lack of theism or simply put lack of belief in any God. As long as you do not believe in a god, you are an atheist - nothing more, nothing less.

I for one had never really believed in a God. While i was young i passed through the motions parents take their children through, ie, got baptized, went to Sunday school, join the choir, etc, but i never really understood or even thought about what God is. That was even before i showed interest in the sciences. So as soon as i left home, i threw away all vestiges of Christianity and felt free.
When i was at university of Ife, my born again classmates and I would argue till dawn about Christianity and it's imposed salvation, but later, i found out that arguments leads to no where and everyone was set in their positions. So i stopped arguing with Christians. Even here on nairaland, i avoid senseless religious arguments, i only try and corrects scientific misconceptions, lies and falsehood being propaganda by some ignorant or mischievous theists.

I do not try to convert anybody, even my wife is a good born again Christian who performs all religious obligation. The only one i quarrel with is the so called night vigil. To me, i do not see the sense in a married woman staying all night in the name of special prayers, as if god does not hear prayers in daylight hours. Besides, there is no biblical basis for night vigils, it sounds more like an African traditional religious practice.

Wow, I admire this your objective response. Keep it up Sir.

Maybe I am undergoing similar phase you went through during your youthful age.

Like I used to say, i don't really know where I belong, I go to Church, pray sometimes, go to vigil, put offering money, attend church activities, the only thing I don't do is to give tithe. somebody might say "cognitive dissonance" Maybe or maybe not.

hmmmmm

But still harbor this skepticism of a Heaven or Hell.

well,Let me keep on observing you all "both theist and atheist debate"

I do learn a lot from both school of thought.
Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:33pm On Aug 01, 2016
Seun:

An aggressive muslim murders infidels. An aggressive christian murders abortion doctors. An aggressive atheist makes youtube videos. undecided

How many abortion doctors were murdered? 11, and they were not even murdered by Christians can you compare those to the millions of unborn babies the aggressive atheists have murdered? What about the millions the aggressive muslims have murdered with the help of the aggressive atheists? If you want to know the harm aggressive Christians have done then look at the caption below. cool

Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by Tellemall: 12:49pm On Aug 03, 2016
naijadeyhia:
Hello my Atheist friends on Nairaland. Over time I have come to know and enjoy having dialogues with many of you on issues concerning God or a lack of God.

However dor sake of clarity for myself and for you I am presenting a table of descriptions of the various kinds of Atheists in the world so you can accurately identify yours and so you can be addressdd specifically based on your identity.

Recent Study has shown that Atheism is in 6 kinds and although many here on NL believe Atheism is the lack of belief in God or gods or higher powers.....sorry but its way more than that.

Below is the description of individual Atheistic traits so pick your particular kind.

[b]Are you an Atheist? If yes, pick the category you belong below;

1) Intellectual atheist/agnostic

This type of nonbeliever seeks information and intellectual stimulation about atheism.

They like debating and arguing, particularly on popular Internet sites.

They’re also well-versed in books and articles about religion and atheism, and prone to citing those works frequently.

2) Activist

These kinds of atheists and agnostics are not content with just disbelieving in God; they want to tell others why they reject religion and why society would be better off if we all did likewise.

They tend to be vocal about political causes like gay rights, feminism, the environment and the care of animals.

3) Seeker-agnostic

This group is made up of people who are unsure about the existence of a God but keep an open mind and recognize the limits of human knowledge and experience.

They are the people who regularly question their own beliefs and “do not hold a firm ideological position.”

That doesn’t mean this group is confused, they just embrace uncertainty.

4) Anti-theist

This group regularly speaks out against religion and religious beliefs, usually by positioning themselves as “diametrically opposed to religious ideology,”.

“Anti-theists view religion as ignorance and see any individual or institution associated with it as backward and socially detrimental,” the researchers wrote. “The Anti-Theist has a clear and – in their view, superior – understanding of the limitations and danger of religions.”

5) Non-theist

The smallest group among the six are the non-theists, people who do not involve themselves with either religion or anti-religion.

In many cases, this comes across as apathy or disinterest.

“A Non-Theist simply does not concern him or herself with religion,“Religion plays no role or issue in one’s consciousness or worldview; nor does a Non- Theist have concern for the atheist or agnostic movement.”

“They simply do not believe, and in the same right, their absence of faith means the absence of anything religion in any form from their mental space.”

6) Ritual atheist

They don’t believe in God, they don’t associate with religion, and they tend to believe there is no afterlife, but the sixth type of nonbeliever still finds useful the teachings of some religious traditions.

“They see these as more or less philosophical teachings of how to live life and achieve happiness than a path to transcendental liberation, “For example, these individuals may participate in specific rituals, ceremonies, musical opportunities, meditation, yoga classes, or holiday traditions.”

For many of these nonbelievers, their adherence to ritual may stem from family traditions. For others, its a personal connection to, or respect for, the “profound symbolism” inherent within religious rituals, beliefs and ceremonies.
[/b]

Throwing this warm invitation to all Atheists and their well wishers

NB: This is an attempt to get to know and understand you better.......cheers!

cc; KingEbukasBlog, Richirich713, thoniameek, anas09, Tufanja, elantraceey, OLAADEGBU, KingEbukaNaija, ceeted, Chidexter, lezz, analice107, bxcode, Topeakintola, UyiIredia, Tellemall, vooks, Ishilove, sukkot, gatiano, mrpresident1, Drefan2, Strawman, dazzle101, lalasticlala, seun, Dejideji1, Farmerforlife, muafrika2, 4evergod2, udysweet, Edelweiss44, cloudgoddess, dalaman, weah96, hopefullandlord, winner01

Look here, I'm tired of having you and other name-callers just putting up CCs.

Where do you get these names from? Who told you I'm an active member of these religion threads?

This is the business of atheists. Not a freethinker.

Stop mentioning me.
Re: Atheists Pls Identify Your Leaning Here. ID Yourself Properly by Tellemall: 1:05pm On Aug 03, 2016
wirinet:
@ OP

On the contrary, why are atheists so interested in Christians, in particular?

The world has a hundred and one religions and yet all you find atheists going on and on about is Christianity.

I do not believe in trying to preach to an atheist. Each to his own belief. If you could be a Christian you would be one, and if I could be a Buddhist I would be one. The end justifies the belief. People can debate religion with atheists and ten years on nobody's position has changed.

One thing I've learned about atheists, though, is that they think they are intelligent. But they always get intelligence and pseudo-intellectualism mixed up. Hence atheists are ineffectual.

If one cannot question their origins on deeper reasoning, or feels that the solution is before us and yet cannot show us, then that one is void of sense.

Everybody is intelligent. That one decides to believe in what the other can't (God)is not a sign of lack of intelligence. Most pitiful are the atheists who believe that science disproves God.

Science is simply a standard/quality of education. It does not quantify intelligence or atheism, a popular misconception among atheists. Science is available to all. I do not know why those who call themselves atheists cannot determine this.

Yet you find atheists bludgeoning ever Christian thread or discussion they can find. If you believe it doesn't exist, and it really doesn't, what are you fighting so hard to prove about it? Why do atheists generate a lot of time on something that can't exist?

But in the end all the dichotomy from disbelief and belief does nothing to change the end.

The important thing is having no fears and not quaking in the end.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abeg O. Why Did God Create Mosquitoes / Books Of Peter (Love will cover a multitude of sins) / How Can Ancestral Covenant Be Broken?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.