Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,232 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. (2628 Views)

Man Narrates How Lady Who Humiliated His Dad Years Back Suffered Ill-luck / Woman Who Suffered To Give Birth To A 4.2kg Baby Celebrated By Brother (Photos) / My Two Balls Have Suffered In The Hands Of My Wife, Man Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Toks2008(m): 3:09pm On Aug 03, 2016
The phrase " I don't want my children to suffer what i suffered" indeed is an innocuous one but could this mindset be the reason why our children are becoming more redundant and dependent on us?

I have made a research and i realized that most of the people making a mark in many sectors of the nation never had a silver spoon upbringing yet they made it big in life.

Don't you think it makes sense to really let our children experience some form of hardship in order to groom them for the unforseen future?

A friend just shared this.
LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS

Dear All,

Let's be real.

I wish to start by adding the benefit of my time as a student and then resident in the UK. Living in Abuja now. The first thing that I discovered about UK-born, white, English undergraduates was that all of them did holiday or weekend job to support themselves – including the children of millionaires amongst them. It is the norm over there – regardless of how wealthy their parents are. And I soon discovered that virtually all other foreign students did the same – except status – conscious Nigerians.

I also watched Richard Branson (owner of Virgin Airline) speaking on the Biography Channel. To my amazement, he said that his young children travel in the economy class – even when the parents (he and his wife) are in upper class. Richard Branson is a billionaire in Pound sterling. A quick survey would show you that only children from Nigeria fly business or upper class to commence their studies in the UK. No other foreign students do this. There is no aircraft attached to the office of the Prime Minister in the UK. He travels on BA. And the same goes for the Royals. The Queen does not have an aircraft for her exclusive use.

These practices simply become the culture which the next generation carries forward. Have you seen the car that Kate Middleton (the wife of Prince William) drives? VW Golf or something close to it. But there’s one core difference between them and us (generally speaking), they (even the billionaires among them) work for their money, most of us steal ours

If we want our children to bring about the desired change we have been praying for on behalf of our dear country, then please, please let’s begin now and teach them to work hard so they can stand alone and most importantly be content and not having to “steal” which seems to be the norm these days.

We have Nigerian Children who have never worked for 5 minutes in their lives insisting on flying “only” first or business class and using the latest cars fully paid for by their “loving “ parents.

I often get calls from anxious parents”my son graduated 2 years ago and is still looking for a job, can you please assist!”

“Oh really! So where exactly is “THIS CHILD?” is my usual question. “Why are you the one making this call dad/mum?

I am yet to get a satisfactory answer, but between you and me, chances are that the big boy is cruising around Abuja with a babe dresses to the nines, in his dad’s spanking new SUV with enough “pocket money” to put your salary to shame. It is not at all strange to hear a 28 year old who has NEVER worked for a day in his or her life in Nigeria but “earns” a six figure “salary” from parents for doing absolutely nothing

I see them in my office once in a while, 26 years old with absolutely no skill to sell apart from a shiny CV, written by his dad’s secretary in the office. Of course, he has a driver at his beck and call and he is driven to the job interview. We have a fairly decent conversation and we get to the inevitable question- so, what salary are you looking to earn? Answer comes straight out – N250,000.00. I ask if that is per month or per annum.

“Of course, it is per month”

“Oh, why do you think you should be earning that much on your first job?”

“Well, because my current pocket money is N200,000.00 and I feel any employer should be able to pay me more than my parents.”

No wonder corruption continues to thrive. We have a society of young people who have been brought up to expect something for nothing, as if it were a birthright. Even though the examples I have given above are from parents of considerable affluence, similar patterns can be observed from Abeokuta to Adamawa.

Wake up mum! Wake up dad! This syndrome – “my children will not suffer what I suffered is destroying your tomorrow. You are practically loving your child to death.

Henry Ford said “hard work does not kill.” We are getting everything wrong in Nigeria now, including family setting. It is time to prepare your children for tomorrow, the way the world is going, only those that are rugged, hard working and smart working that will survive. How will your ward fare?

Please forward to as many Nigerian parents as u can.

Copied

5 Likes

Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Toks2008(m): 3:14pm On Aug 03, 2016
lalasticlala I believe this is an eye opener.
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Oche211(m): 3:38pm On Aug 03, 2016
Toks2008:
lalasticlala I believe this is an eye opener.
a real eye opener.
I remember what one of my lecturers told us in one of his classes. He said that he really pity the next generation that will come after this generation. This is because there are no morals and values to be passed on to them.
The society itself doesn't even help matters at all. There is no much more value placed on honesty, integrity, hardwork, patience etc.
The norm nw is get the money anyhow, through whatever means possible nd flaunt it. The thing there is that, the younger generation are watching.
Lalasticlala, abeg come.
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Toks2008(m): 4:01pm On Aug 03, 2016
Oche211:

a real eye opener.
I remember what one of my lecturers told us in one of his classes. He said that he really pity the next generation that will come after this generation. This is because there are no morals and values to be passed on to them.
The society itself doesn't even help matters at all. There is no much more value placed on honesty, integrity, hardwork, patience etc.
The norm nw is get the money anyhow, through whatever means possible nd flaunt it. The thing there is that, the younger generation are watching.
Lalasticlala, abeg come.

In fact what really got me thinking was that part of "I don't want my children to go tru what I went through syndrome" in fact most parents say that a lot expeciLly the ones that worked their way up.

Infact it was "what they went through" that really made them successful.
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Richie0974: 5:17pm On Aug 03, 2016
I read this some years back but it seems to make perfect sense now.
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Isaacmacdon(m): 6:40pm On Aug 03, 2016
Ignorance is not bliss. On a lighter note, I feel these issues need to be corrected immediately. We blame the society most times for these wrongs but come to think of it, aren't we the society?, if you keep waiting for some set of people to correct some ills in this present age; you are on a long thing. Most times when I see little kids do stupid things that in reality deserves a lot of spanking, I don't spare the rod.

1 Like

Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Toks2008(m): 7:33pm On Aug 03, 2016
Richie0974:
I read this some years back but it seems to make perfect sense now.

Serious sense bro.
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Nobody: 8:16pm On Aug 03, 2016
There are many doctors, engineers, lawyers and the rest of them but there are FEW leaders, what our country lacks are leaders, People who are ready to show the true way things are meant to be done despite the hardship that one may encounter through it. Op, you made reference to how foreign leaders show the way to the upcoming generation and thats what makes them great. Well, this country lacks true leaders, everyone is hungry for power, they crave for it, looking for the person that'll be working endless hours for them alone, looking for who'll be kissing their feet day in day out, take a look at the "Seniors" in boarding schools, even the average nigerian who keeps shouting about the government would do same if he is given the power, there's a saying If you want to test the true character of a man, give him power for a day.... the moment you ask someone for a favour, he begins to act like he's your God, Some people already see themselves as Born to Rule, i laugh..... They say Charity begins at home, If we want to produce the kind of leaders Britain has, then lets work on ourselves first before moving to others, As long as we dont work on our mentality and that hidden hunger for ernomous power, this country wont move an inch forward. #Peace

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Toks2008(m): 10:09pm On Aug 03, 2016
GloryIsaac:
There are many doctors, engineers, lawyers and the rest of them but there are FEW leaders, what our country lacks are leaders, People who are ready to show the true way things are meant to be done despite the hardship that one may encounter through it. Op, you made reference to how foreign leaders show the way to the upcoming generation and thats what makes them great. Well, this country lacks true leaders, everyone is hungry for power, they crave for it, looking for the person that'll be working endless hours for them alone, looking for who'll be kissing their feet day in day out, take a look at the "Seniors" in boarding schools, even the average nigerian who keeps shouting about the government would do same if he is given the power, there's a saying If you want to test the true character of a man, give him power for a day.... the moment you ask someone for a favour, he begins to act like he's your God, Some people already see themselves as Born to Rule, i laugh..... They say Charity begins at home, If we want to produce the kind of leaders Britain has, then lets work on ourselves first before moving to others, As long as we dont work on our mentality and that hidden hunger for ernomous power, this country wont move an inch forward. #Peace

Insightful.
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by missingrib(f): 6:17pm On Aug 04, 2016
The white will always and always be better than us. I remembered back thén when i use to tell my dad that God really took time to create them they are just good in every aspect. We need to stàrt learning the positive way the white lives and stop imitating them in ways which ain't adding good stuff to us
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Toks2008(m): 9:05pm On Aug 04, 2016
missingrib:
The white will always and always be better than us. I remembered back thén when i use to tell my dad that God really took time to create them they are just good in every aspect. We need to stàrt learning the positive way the white lives and stop imitating them in ways which ain't adding good stuff to us

lol

Fyn pickin.
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by missingrib(f): 10:58pm On Aug 04, 2016
Toks2008:

lol
Fyn pickin.
lol fyn pickin thats all u gonna say?
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Toks2008(m): 11:35pm On Aug 04, 2016
missingrib:
lol fyn pickin thats all u gonna say?

You fine nah and even pretty join..
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by missingrib(f): 8:08pm On Aug 06, 2016
Toks2008:

You fine nah and even pretty join..
hmmm
Reserve my comment
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Toks2008(m): 9:29pm On Aug 08, 2016
msingrib:
hmmm
Reserve my comment

Please don't
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Toks2008(m): 7:41pm On Aug 14, 2016
This is one thread lalasticlala or mynd44 should let more people see.
Very insightful.
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 14, 2016
Toks2008:

Very insightful.
yawn , always wanting fp
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Toks2008(m): 7:56pm On Aug 14, 2016
aflyingbird:
yawn , always wanting fp

Lol..no be soo ...just that most of the threads I create are usually fpage worthy...don't you think so?
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by lalasticlala(m): 11:00pm On Aug 15, 2016

1 Like

Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by nathskib(f): 1:42am On Aug 16, 2016
Lovely write up

1 Like

Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by George22016(m): 6:10am On Aug 16, 2016
Holiday jobs no day Nigeria except Toks advicing I go for bricklayer.if holiday job day even if NA houseboy I go do.sales boy sef I go do.even bricklayer work no day walahi.Nigeria DON finish
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Nobody: 10:04pm On Aug 17, 2016
Toks2008:

Lol..no be soo ...just that most of the threads I create are usually fpage worthy...don't you think so?
even the ones u copy from someone else , right? cus u didn't write the above post urself , making us think u did .

lalasticlala posted da original thread ,
lalasticlala:
https://www.nairaland.com/2538922/call-change-children-not-suffer

u copied above exactly above buh didn't source

pls try 2 be original wit ur posts , tnxx
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Toks2008(m): 10:16pm On Aug 17, 2016
aflyingbird:

even the ones u copy from someone else , right? cus u didn't write the above post urself , making us think u did .

lalasticlala posted da original thread ,

u copied above exactly above buh didn't source

pls try 2 be original wit ur posts , tnxx

You just want to pick unwarranted quarrel cos I wrote it clearly at the end of the write up that it was copied so what is your issue?

Our problem is that we are too quick to make comments without taking time to read properly.

If I had a clue that the thread existed there is no way I would have created this a second time.

Please go sleep.
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 17, 2016
Toks2008:

You just want to pick unwarranted quarrel cos I wrote it clearly at the end of the write up that it was copied so what is your issue?

Our problem is that we are too quick to make comments without taking time to read properly.

If I had a clue that the thread existed there is no way I would have created this a second time.

Please go sleep.
i hate copy copy buh shud u copy , u gotta source smiley . ma issue is u copied buh didn't source angry, dat's wrong , sorta like falsifying a document . i thought u wrote da post till i saw lalasticlala post the link to da original . u knew it existed buh da original thread was made in 2015 , u thought no one would know buh lalasticlala did embarassed . if u didn't copy da thread u sure copied da post from somewhere else on da internet cuz dey're da exact same thing shocked. be honest , learn 2 source ur writeups if they're not urs , simple smiley

1 Like

Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Toks2008(m): 10:31pm On Aug 17, 2016
aflyingbird:

i hate copy copy buh shud u copy , u gotta source . ma issue is u copied buh didn't source , dat's wrong , sorta like falsifying a document . i thought u wrote da post till i saw lalasticlala post the link to da original . u knew it existed but da original thread was made in 2015 , u thought no one would know but lalasticlala did . if u didn't copy da thread u sure copied da post from somewhere else on da internet cuz dey're da exact same thing. be honest , learn 2 source ur writeups if they're not urs , simple

Lol! lobatan..e ma binu o..I received it as a watsup message with no clue that there was a thread on that already.

I'm very original with my posts but I just believed that writing copied is enough...OK I don hear..kai!
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Nobody: 10:51pm On Aug 17, 2016
Toks2008:

Lol! lobatan..e ma binu o..I received it as a watsup message with no clue that there was a thread on that already.

I'm very original with my posts but I just believed that writing copied is enough...OK I don hear..kai!
lol grin , just a pet peeve of mine . i like ur threads thou smiley
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Toks2008(m): 10:55pm On Aug 17, 2016
aflyingbird:
lol grin , just a pet peeve of mine . i like ur threads thou , keep dem coming grin

Like my threads ke! undecided

Are you sure you are not a he? cos I'm the most hated thread creator on nairaland especially by ladies.
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Dajugba: 12:02pm On Aug 18, 2016
Toks2008:
The phrase " I don't want my children to suffer what i suffered" indeed is an innocuous one but could this mindset be the reason why our children are becoming more redundant and dependent on us?

I have made a research and i realized that most of the people making a mark in many sectors of the nation never had a silver spoon upbringing yet they made it big in life.

Don't you think it makes sense to really let our children experience some form of hardship in order to groom them for the unforseen future?

A friend just shared this.
LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS

Dear All,

Let's be real.

I wish to start by adding the benefit of my time as a student and then resident in the UK. Living in Abuja now. The first thing that I discovered about UK-born, white, English undergraduates was that all of them did holiday or weekend job to support themselves – including the children of millionaires amongst them. It is the norm over there – regardless of how wealthy their parents are. And I soon discovered that virtually all other foreign students did the same – except status – conscious Nigerians.

I also watched Richard Branson (owner of Virgin Airline) speaking on the Biography Channel. To my amazement, he said that his young children travel in the economy class – even when the parents (he and his wife) are in upper class. Richard Branson is a billionaire in Pound sterling. A quick survey would show you that only children from Nigeria fly business or upper class to commence their studies in the UK. No other foreign students do this. There is no aircraft attached to the office of the Prime Minister in the UK. He travels on BA. And the same goes for the Royals. The Queen does not have an aircraft for her exclusive use.

These practices simply become the culture which the next generation carries forward. Have you seen the car that Kate Middleton (the wife of Prince William) drives? VW Golf or something close to it. But there’s one core difference between them and us (generally speaking), they (even the billionaires among them) work for their money, most of us steal ours

If we want our children to bring about the desired change we have been praying for on behalf of our dear country, then please, please let’s begin now and teach them to work hard so they can stand alone and most importantly be content and not having to “steal” which seems to be the norm these days.

We have Nigerian Children who have never worked for 5 minutes in their lives insisting on flying “only” first or business class and using the latest cars fully paid for by their “loving “ parents.

I often get calls from anxious parents”my son graduated 2 years ago and is still looking for a job, can you please assist!”

“Oh really! So where exactly is “THIS CHILD?” is my usual question. “Why are you the one making this call dad/mum?

I am yet to get a satisfactory answer, but between you and me, chances are that the big boy is cruising around Abuja with a babe dresses to the nines, in his dad’s spanking new SUV with enough “pocket money” to put your salary to shame. It is not at all strange to hear a 28 year old who has NEVER worked for a day in his or her life in Nigeria but “earns” a six figure “salary” from parents for doing absolutely nothing

I see them in my office once in a while, 26 years old with absolutely no skill to sell apart from a shiny CV, written by his dad’s secretary in the office. Of course, he has a driver at his beck and call and he is driven to the job interview. We have a fairly decent conversation and we get to the inevitable question- so, what salary are you looking to earn? Answer comes straight out – N250,000.00. I ask if that is per month or per annum.

“Of course, it is per month”

“Oh, why do you think you should be earning that much on your first job?”

“Well, because my current pocket money is N200,000.00 and I feel any employer should be able to pay me more than my parents.”

No wonder corruption continues to thrive. We have a society of young people who have been brought up to expect something for nothing, as if it were a birthright. Even though the examples I have given above are from parents of considerable affluence, similar patterns can be observed from Abeokuta to Adamawa.

Wake up mum! Wake up dad! This syndrome – “my children will not suffer what I suffered is destroying your tomorrow. You are practically loving your child to death.

Henry Ford said “hard work does not kill.” We are getting everything wrong in Nigeria now, including family setting. It is time to prepare your children for tomorrow, the way the world is going, only those that are rugged, hard working and smart working that will survive. How will your ward fare?

Please forward to as many Nigerian parents as u can.

Copied

Thanks for this. I concur.
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 18, 2016
I think most parents that own businesses and had a very tough upbringing follow this trend. It allows for a child to realise where spending money comes from and how to manage it once you've earned it. Obviously now, this knowledge goes a long way influencing the child's adult life.

I'm with you OP, eye opener indeed

Toks2008:
Very insightful.
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Olanna45(f): 2:43pm On Aug 18, 2016
maybe the syndrome is for children from the elite families. But an average Nigerian family that i know, its all hands on deck oh. My little 7yr old cousin has started helping his dad out in his eletrical shop on saturdays.
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by Nobody: 3:56pm On Aug 18, 2016
the country itself is going bad, lets not deceive ourselves,when last did you go to a company and meet a ssce receptionist on a part time basis.... there are basically no jobs for graduates. i believe that every child should get a skill even before going to the university it doesnt make you stupid. instead it gives you the experience of what its like in the real world so you would know how to double your hustle in school get out with a good grade and if you dont get a job make something for yourself

parents arent helping either but sha.... lets keep praying for nigeria
Re: When you don't want your children to suffer what you suffered. by misspicy(f): 7:37am On Aug 19, 2016
Oche211:

a real eye opener.
Lalasticlala, abeg come.
Something like this grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Perfume Deal Of The Day!!! / Why Do Married Nigerian Women LIVE and SUCCEED In Riches And Wealth? / Wedding Cake Promo!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.