Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,409 members, 7,954,623 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:14 AM

Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 (17082 Views)

Did Nnamdi Kanu Disappear With Restructuring? / "Restructuring My Foot! To Hell With Restructuring", Governor Shettima / Restructuring Nigeria Will Make No Difference - Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by erusen: 1:00pm On Aug 04, 2016
Bolustic:

Get this straight.

General JT Aguiyi Ironsi was the first to restructure Nigeria from regional governments to unitary one through Decree 34 of 1966 immediately the Ibos got power.

The northerners tasted it and saw how sweet it was and wouldn't let go.
is that why they are beggers all over the street of Nigeria today,u think u are doing us now yourseft una dey do oh

1 Like

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Temidayo9(m): 1:02pm On Aug 04, 2016
Nigerian never stop distracting its people, they will come with grammar ..... the reigning grammar now is restructuring. There was a time,it was PRIVATISATION as if , it was the only solution to our problem, also there was a time it was SUBSIDY as if it will solve all our problem, here we re today. I tell you after RESTRUCTURING Nigeria will still be thesame.

1 Like

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Newmanluckyman(m): 1:13pm On Aug 04, 2016
So sad. Our leaders talk so carelessly like Donald Trump. So people's quest for self determination as enshrined by UNO charter was killed because it will affect Gowon's one Nigeria map. Is alright!

1 Like

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by isnovic(m): 1:15pm On Aug 04, 2016
Bolustic:

Get this straight.

General JT Aguiyi Ironsi was the first to restructure Nigeria from regional governments to unitary one through Decree 34 of 1966 immediately the Ibos got power.

Actually the Norhern rejected it, the mass riot in Kaduna and other Northern states then when Southerners were killed was partly due to the suspicion the Northern Elite felt about the unitary decree 34 of JTU Aguyi Ironsi.

Though they will later embrace it after the Northern coup and the Igbo purge of 1966 as the best form of the system after a 3 days lacuna ensued due to a marathon meeting between the "Human tempest" Gen Muritala Muhammed and the former Northern leaders displaced by the Ifeajuna/Kaduna coup.

They accepted it after it was discovered if they seceded as was the plan in the 1966 Northern coup they will not be able to survive financially knowing that Oil was recently discovered in commercial quantity in Mid West and the Central bank and Money is situated in the South.

In addition coupled with the Northern geography it will be landlocked with no seaport hence a ethnic suicide.

A revert to regional control was agreed by Gowon with Ojukwu in Aburi Accord in Ghana but was reneged after the Elites felt the agreement was a political suicide for the Northern Military Hegemony and gave Biafra and the East more than fair advantage in a well articulated front by Ojukwu.

3 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by emi14: 1:27pm On Aug 04, 2016
Excluding Eastern Nigeria the map or Nigeria is shapeless and without direction. Restructuring understand one Nigeria Or one oil well.

1 Like

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by mart2k(m): 1:56pm On Aug 04, 2016
BeeBeeOoh:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/theres-nothing-wrong-restructuring-nigeria-i-did-it-1967-gowon/

God bless Pa Awo, he sold d idea to Gowon then and daz y Ibos hate him till date.

1 Like

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Nobody: 1:58pm On Aug 04, 2016
Propropro:
The man that single handedly ensured biafra was dead and buried in 1970 while Ojukwu fled to ivory coast with his tail behind his legs. God bless Gowon for keeping this great nation one. We are forever grateful sad

Could you at least enumerate 5 things you benefit from one Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by mart2k(m): 2:12pm On Aug 04, 2016
kaen1317:
Restructured in line with principles of equality and justice for all. No man is born to rule and no man is born to be a slave to another
Now, Ibos realise they are slaves in Nigeria; they should enjoy their status till it lasts.

1 Like

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Orikinla(m): 2:19pm On Aug 04, 2016
General Yakubu Gowon, the best Head of State of Nigeria since independence. His three Rs National Programmes would have transformed Nigeria into a great nation, but the unnecessary coup d'etat of late Gen. Murtala Muhammed set the country back.
Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by mart2k(m): 2:21pm On Aug 04, 2016
CSTR12:
If Gowon was your best and noble military leader then no wonder Nigeria is the way it is.
Have you read the aburi accord? You need to see how he was schooled in governance by ojukwu. If he was indeed noble he would have atleast accepted the intellectual superiority of ojukwu and entrenched regionalism that he agreed to in ghana. But the coward had to backpedal like an amateur.
He should be grateful he had the brits at his side. Men like him don't win wars. If the roles were reversed, ojukwu would have crushed him in a month.
Story for d gods. Where is ur coward ojukwu now and what is d stand of d SE in d Nigeria politics. Gowon is greater than Ojukwu, Zik, Kanu etc join together.

2 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by kaen1317: 2:26pm On Aug 04, 2016
mart2k:
Now, Ibos realise they are slaves in Nigeria; they should enjoy their status till it lasts.
for as long as a just God liveth the chain's of oppression and bondage shall be broken and the children set free
Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Volksfuhrer(m): 3:57pm On Aug 04, 2016
CSTR12:
If Gowon was your best and noble military leader then no wonder Nigeria is the way it is.
Have you read the aburi accord? You need to see how he was schooled in governance by ojukwu. If he was indeed noble he would have atleast accepted the intellectual superiority of ojukwu and entrenched regionalism that he agreed to in ghana. But the coward had to backpedal like an amateur.
He should be grateful he had the brits at his side. Men like him don't win wars. If the roles were reversed, ojukwu would have crushed him in a month.

Perhaps Ojukwu's "intellectual superiority" was his undoing. Ojukwu didn't listen to good advice because he felt "superior" to good advisers. Gowon didn't pretend to being a genius, but he was smart enough to recruit intellectual giants as advisers.

In fact, "One Nigeria" would have been "toast" had Gowon led Biafra. Gowon would not have attacked the Midwest. Gowon would never have taken hostage oil "expats." Gowon would never have bombed Kaduna or Lagos. Gowon was too smart for such inanities, he wasn't egotistic. Gowon would have listened to Njoku, Biafra's Army commander. Thank heavens, Nigeria didn't have an Ojukwu for a c-in-c!

A leader need not be a philosopher a la Plato, he only needs foresight with an excellent moral compass to guide him, a trait that would eventually endear him to great allies which Ojukwu didn't have. Yes, Ojukwu was smart, but he lacked foresight: hence his defeat. In any case, Ojukwu's leadership skill was a midget compared to Gowon's!

Kindest regards

2 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by CSTR12: 4:12pm On Aug 04, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

Perhaps Ojukwu's "intellectual superiority" was his undoing. Ojukwu didn't listen to good advice because he felt "superior" to good advisers. Gowon didn't pretend to being a genius, but he was smart enough to recruit intellectual giants as advisers.

In fact, "One Nigeria" would have been "toast" had Gowon led Biafra. Gowon would not have attacked the Midwest. Gowon would never have taken hostage oil "expats." Gowon would never have bombed Kaduna or Lagos. Gowon was too smart for such inanities, he wasn't egotistic. Gowon would have listened to Njoku, Biafra's Army commander. Thank heavens, Nigeria didn't have an Ojukwu for a c-in-c!

A leader need not be a philosopher a la Plato, he only needs foresight with an excellent moral compass to guide him, a trait that would eventually endear him to great allies which Ojukwu didn't have. Yes, Ojukwu was smart, but he lacked foresight: hence his defeat. In any case, Ojukwu's leadership skill was a midget compared to Gowon's!

Foresight? haha. I don't think there is any leader in Nigerian history that had as much foresight as ojukwu. Go and read his manifesto on biafran independence.
This was the same man that was responsible for many indigenous igbo made weapons in 1967. If he didn't have foresight, he would not have wanted out of Nigerian backwardness or promoted regionalism.
Gowon had no foresight, no leadership skill, nothing. He was merely an appendage of colonialism. He stood for regionalism in ghana, came back and then changed his mind. That is not a sign of leadership.
Ojukwu made many mistakes, a few of them very shocking indeed, but he was a greater leader than all his peers.
Btw, ojukwu was the military head of state of the oil rich eastern region and there is no record of him stealing oil blocs like many of his northern counterparts. That is leadership uncommmon to Nigeria.

Kindest regards

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by CSTR12: 4:16pm On Aug 04, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

Kindest regards

Foresight? haha. I don't think there is any leader in Nigerian history that had as much foresight as ojukwu. Go and read his manifesto on biafran independence.
This was the same man that was responsible for many indigenous igbo made weapons in 1967. If he didn't have foresight, he would not have wanted out of Nigerian backwardness or promoted regionalism.
Gowon had no foresight, no leadership skill, nothing. He was merely an appendage of colonialism. He stood for regionalism in ghana, came back and then changed his mind. That is not a sign of leadership.
Ojukwu made many mistakes, a few of them very shocking indeed, but he was a greater leader than all his peers.
Btw, ojukwu was the military head of state of the oil rich eastern region and there is no record of him stealing oil blocs like many of his northern counterparts. That is leadership uncommmon to Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by pazienza(m): 4:30pm On Aug 04, 2016
Bolustic:

Get this straight.

Ironsi never dissolved the regions. He left the regions intact, he only centralized the civil service.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry knows that military regimes work in centralized format, Ironsi was a military man, he needed a form of control over the regions, but he never desolved the regions.

It was Gowon and not Ironsi that killed the regional system, and in turn created dysfunctional entities he called states with aim of dividing the East and proliferating the number of governmental units in the North.

It boggles my mind when Odua elements jump in to defend their Northern masters even with the use of propaganda.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by pazienza(m): 4:39pm On Aug 04, 2016
Orikinla:
General Yakubu Gowon, the best Head of State of Nigeria since independence. His three Rs National Programmes would have transformed Nigeria into a great nation, but the unnecessary coup d'etat of late Gen. Murtala Muhammed set the country back.

Stop talking trash.
There was no three Rs any where, instead Gowon government teamed up with all Igbophobic elements to shortchange the Igbo and further deepen the division in the East between Ndiigbo and non Igbo Easterners.

Under Gowon's watch, the abandoned property saga happened with his full support, the, the boundary adjustment program that was aimed at ridding East central state of all oil producing Igbo speaking communities were carried out, 20 pounds policy occurred, indigenization policy occurred, and no special effort whatsoever was put in to rebuild the East.

Gowon was surely an Igbophobic organism, and he was. not much of a good administrator, for under his watch many billions of petro dollars were embezzled, and he was also power drunk as he repeatedly reneged on his promise to hand over to civilian government until he was booted out of office.

2 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Volksfuhrer(m): 6:20pm On Aug 04, 2016
CSTR12:

Double post.
Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Volksfuhrer(m): 6:24pm On Aug 04, 2016
CSTR12:

...laughable submission. Were we not practicing regional autonomy before Ojukwu proposed his in Ghana? What happened to the previous regional system that Ironsi's government abolished? Wasn't Ojukwu part and parcel of that government? Ojukwu's foresight never condemn the abolition of regional autonomy when Ironsi was in power but became its strong advocate after Ironsi was ousted! Could we call this "oscillating foresight?" or just self-serving hypocrisy! There was nothing noble in Ojukwu's new-found regionalism when he earlier consented to its abolition. A noble officer would have stepped aside as governor if he hadn't consented.

Ojukwu was never a great leader, and that's the simple truth. My proposition has already been tested in any case: that Ojukwu was advised against a war he hurriedly rushed into, a war in which he was soundly defeated. That's Ojukwu's unenviable CV in summary.

Kindest regards.

2 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by billyG(m): 9:43pm On Aug 04, 2016
ipob never sees 2 amaze me i thought they will haul insults @ this man that killed them in millions & starved their children 2 death.instead they he all d blame on buhari 2 them it is pmb that cause d civil war.

1 Like

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by freshiemichael: 9:44pm On Aug 04, 2016
dz country z filled wit shameless ppl dt called themselves leaders....so d old babarian wants a repeat of d homecide he committed in 1967. Nigerian past n present leaders are really shameless, hopeless n calouse set of animals.

the most shameful part of it all is dt we seem to have youths who cannot see beyond deir nostrils. this country is really f^cked!

anybdy, i repeat anybdy at all dt has issue wit wht i wrote above should go hug transformer for u can't more dan sh!t as i got nothing to lose if i get banned for it.

but on fairness level, i just said d TRUTH n my MIND!

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by pazienza(m): 12:02am On Aug 05, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

...laughable submission. Were we not practicing regional autonomy before Ojukwu proposed his in Ghana? What happened to the previous regional system that Ironsi's government abolished? Wasn't Ojukwu part and parcel of that government? Ojukwu's foresight never condemn the abolition of regional autonomy when Ironsi was in power but became its strong advocate after Irons was ousted! Could we call this "oscillating foresight?" or just self-serving hypocrisy! There was nothing noble in Ojukwu's new-found regionalism when he earlier consented to its abolition. A noble officer would have stepped aside as governor if he hadn't consented.

Ojukwu was never a great leader, and that's the simple truth. My proposition has already been tested in any case: that Ojukwu was advised against a war he hurriedly rushed into, a war in which he was soundly defeated. That's Ojukwu's unenviable CV in summary.

Kindest regards.

This logic is redundant. Government is made for the people and not the people for the government.

When Ojukwu supported Ironsi Central government, there was not yet open massacre of Easterners with the FG looking sideways, and Ojukwu was not alone in supporting the Ironsi plans. The military governors of Western region ie Fajuyi and that of the North were not against Ironsi decision, if they were not condemned for such, why then is Ojukwu.

Ojukwu didn't demand for regional autonomy because Ironsi was ousted, he did so because Ndiigbo were massacred all over Nigeria and the FG did nothing to stop that. Such FG Ojukwu reasoned can't be trusted with powers to protect Ndiigbo, and he was right.

Ironsi was killed for his plans for centralized civil service, why then did those that killed him adopt the same?

Nyerere Julius puts it better with this quote:

"Surely, when a whole people is rejected
by the majority of the state in which they
live, they must have the life to life under a
different kind of arrangement which does
secure their existence. States are made to
serve people; governments are
established to protect the citizens of a
state against external enemies and
internal wrong-doers".

Anyway, most of the issues you raised had been discussed here: www.nairaland.com/2318977/biafran-struggle-through-eyes-julius

3 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Volksfuhrer(m): 7:27am On Aug 05, 2016
pazienza:

This logic is redundant. Government is made for the people and not the people for the government.

When Ojukwu supported Ironsi Central government, there was not yet open massacre of Easterners
with the FG looking sideways, and Ojukwu was not alone in supporting the Ironsi plans. The military governors of Western region ie Fajuyi and that of the North were not against Ironsi decision, if they were not condemned for such, why then is Ojukwu.

Ojukwu didn't demand for regional autonomy because Ironsi was ousted, he did so because Ndiigbo were massacred all over Nigeria and the FG did nothing to stop that. Such FG Ojukwu reasoned can't be trusted with powers to protect Ndiigbo, and he was right.

Ironsi was killed for his plans for centralized civil service, why then did those that killed him adopt the same?

Your post is irrelevant, even misleading. The crux of this discussion is Ojukwu's foresight as a leader. Spare me the B.S about why Ojukwu supported unification under Ironsi and retraced his steps after Ironsi's ouster. Ironsi and Ojukwu were quite aware of the negative attitude and disillusionment of Northerners (including northern military officers!)about the unitary decree. Ironsi and co forged ahead with the decree anyway. Reports even have it that Katsina and Fajuyi counseled Ironsi to have a rethink, that wise counsel fell on deaf ears. The massacre of Igbos started in May 1966, did Ojukwu and Ironsi have a rethink? No they didn't. But immediately Ironsi was toppled, Ojukwu found his voice!

It's obvious why Ironsi and Ojukwu stuck to their guns (pun intended). Their Northern military colleagues saw through it too...they eventually struck back and took advantage of the decree. Therefore, whatever Ojukwu later proposed thereto was seen by the North as mere "hot air"! Power had changed hands, if Ironsi didn't listen to wise counsel to rethink the unitary decree, why should the northerners listen to Ojukwu.

2 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by eziyi(m): 7:45am On Aug 05, 2016
Buhari once said Gowon told them that keeping Nigeria one is a task that must be done now Gowon is now calling for restructure becos he know that Nigeria will be destroyed without restructuring my question is now since Buhari mentor has spoken what is he till waiting for, everybody want Nigeria to remain in peace through restructuring even the avengers let him act ASAP before things get out of hand
Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by pazienza(m): 9:20am On Aug 05, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

Your post is irrelevant, even misleading. The crux of this discussion is Ojukwu's foresight as a leader. Spare me the B.S about why Ojukwu supported unification under Ironsi and retraced his steps after Ironsi's ouster. Ironsi and Ojukwu were quite aware of the negative attitude and disillusionment of Northerners (including northern military officers!)about the unitary decree. Ironsi and co forged ahead with the decree anyway. Reports even have it that Katsina and Fajuyi counseled Ironsi to have a rethink, that wise counsel fell on deaf ears. The massacre of Igbos started in May 1966, did Ojukwu and Ironsi have a rethink? No they didn't. But immediately Ironsi was toppled, Ojukwu found his voice!

It's obvious why Ironsi and Ojukwu stuck to their guns (pun intended). Their Northern military colleagues saw through it too...they eventually struck back and took advantage of the decree. Therefore, whatever Ojukwu later proposed thereto was seen by the North as mere "hot air"! Power had changed hands, if Ironsi didn't listen to wise counsel to rethink the unitary decree, why should the northerners listen to Ojukwu.

What reports are you talking about? Same Ogbomosho/ Sagamu beer parlour that spurned the story of Fajuyi begging for Ironsi's life? Lol, propaganda report.

If Fajuyi and Katsina were not in sync with Ironsi decisions, they always had the option of opting out of the government, they didn't.

No, the massacre of Igbos started in earnest after the counter coup which occurred in July and not May . And even then, Ojukwu was still disposed to the idea of a United Nigeria, that was until the massacre of Igbos that Ojukwu sent back to North after the first wave of massacres.

And moreover, Ojukwu insisted that the highest ranked military officer, Ogundipe take over the government following the disappearance of Ironsi.

The Ironsi ran military, which included Fajuyi and Katsina, stuck to a central government settings, cos under normal circumstances, that's how military regimes work, though you are free to give it your own interpretations, as long as we all accept that those interpretations represent only your sentimental opinions and not in anyway represent the fact on ground, I am cool with that.

1 Like

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by abioyeolaide(m): 9:40am On Aug 05, 2016
abioyeolaide:
He did it at his tender age but still alive watching all dis mess happening in Nigeria
Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Volksfuhrer(m): 5:43pm On Aug 05, 2016
pazienza:

What reports are you talking about? Same Ogbomosho/ Sagamu beer parlour that spurned the story of Fajuyi begging for Ironsi's life? Lol, propaganda report.

If Fajuyi and Katsina were not in sync with Ironsi decisions, they always had the option of opting out of the government, they didn't.

No, the massacre of Igbos started in earnest after the counter coup which occurred in July and not May . And even then, Ojukwu was still disposed to the idea of a United Nigeria, that was until the massacre of Igbos that Ojukwu sent back to North after the first wave of massacres.

And moreover, Ojukwu insisted that the highest ranked military officer, Ogundipe take over the government following the disappearance of Ironsi.

The Ironsi ran military, which included Fajuyi and Katsina, stuck to a central government settings, cos under normal circumstances, that's how military regimes work, though you are free to give it your own interpretions, as long as we all accept that those interpretions represent only your sentimental opinions and not in anyway represent the fact on ground, I am cool with that.

What facts on the ground? The ones you choose to ignore? Let me first address your monumental gaffe. How could you not know there was an Igbo massacre on May 29, 1966? The pogrom in the North started long before Ironsi was put away, which puts some question marks on Ojukwu's reversion to regional autonomy only after power changed hands!

You are utterly out of your depths. If I had known you were this shallow with the facts, I would have ignored your earlier post.

I seriously advise that you read up and stop being cool with lies!

2 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by T8ksy(m): 5:56pm On Aug 05, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

What facts on the ground? The ones you choose to ignore? Let me first address your monumental gaffe. How could you not know there was an Igbo massacre on May 29, 1966? The pogrom in the North started long before Ironsi was put away, which puts some question marks on Ojukwu's reversion to regional autonomy only after power changed hands!

You are utterly out of your depths. If I had known you were this shallow with the facts, I would have ignored your earlier post.

Finally, the penny dropped!!!

Oh well, better late than never.

The poster you are responding to is well known here on NL for his ibotic logic hence most of us avoid him like the plague.

Whilst he is unable to present superior argument to back up his premise, he will simply wear you down with his juvenile reasoning (dis)ability.

2 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by pazienza(m): 6:26pm On Aug 05, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

What are you on about? You spoke of news of Katsina and Fajuyi advising Ironsi against Centralization of the government, yet provided no facts other than Ogbomosho beer parlour gists, you are a comedian and it's time you come down your delusional high horse.

Of course there were Igbo massacre in May 29, it had been going on in the North even before then, in 1945, 1953 and then may 1966, you must think yourself an Einstein for knowing that there was an Igbo massacre in may 1966, lol!

Igbo massacre in the North had been on going even before Ironsi came to power but never were they beyond Igbo control as the ones that occured Post Ironsi death.

Those where widespread even as far as Benue, with tacit support of the Nigerian rulers and with more Gore and casualties.

If you are not willing to have your half truths, propaganda and falsehoods dissected here, then you better stop puting them up here, cause I will always be on hand to debunk them, not even your ad hominem attacks will put me off.

Now back to topic, can you show me where Fajuyi and Katsina resigned in protest to Ironsi reforms. I am waiting.

1 Like

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by pazienza(m): 6:31pm On Aug 05, 2016
T8ksy:

Finally, the penny dropped!!!

Oh well, better late than never.

The poster you are responding to is well known here on NL for his ibotic logic hence most of us avoid him like the plague.

Whilst he is unable to present superior argument to back up his premise, he will simply wear you down with his juvenile reasoning (dis)ability.

Lol! I can see you missed me. Don't worry, I am here to continue puting a stop to your lies, I feel elated when opponents resort to use of personal attacks against me, it shows acceptance of defeat on their part.

1 Like

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Deadlytruth(m): 7:08am On Aug 06, 2016
pazienza:

Ironsi never dissolved the regions. He left the regions intact, he only centralized the civil service.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry knows that military regimes work in centralized format, Ironsi was a military man, he needed a form of control over the regions, but he never desolved the regions.

It was Gowon and not Ironsi that killed the regional system, and in turn created dysfunctional entities he called states with aim of dividing the East and proliferating the number of governmental units in the North.

It boggles my mind when Odua elements jump in to defend their Northern masters even with the use of propaganda.

1. In the first instance Ironsi was not even supposed to take over power but to simply take the honourable path of rescuing democracy by simply swearing in Dipcharima, replacing the slain premiers with their deputies and then exiting the stage as a hero.
2. Ironsi actually dissolved the regions and broke Nigeria up into 35 very weak provinces to be administered by an overwhelmingly strong centre. That was unitary system format.
3. Without prejudice to his self imposition, Ironsi's only genuine duty was to return law and order. And the chaos in question was caused by the rift between Akintola and Awo over party alliances, and with Zik and Balewa taking advantage of it to further disorganize the West leading to the Ifeajuna coup. Thus the problem Ironsi purportedly set out to solve had nothing to do with the structure on ground but was rather all about who formed alliances with who at the centre. So if Ironsi was sincere he should have just stopped at apprehending the coupists and executing them, scrapping NPC, NCNC, AG, NDC, UMBC, NEPU, etc and banning all the surviving major political players like, Zik, Aminu Kano, Joseph Tarka, Awolowo, Okpara and Akintola from further participating in politics. That would have returned peace. But he chose to dabble into the issue of structure which had nothing at all to do with the problem on ground.
4. If Ironsi did not abolish the regions with his Unification and Anti-secession Decrees then Gowon, on getting to power, would not have found it necessary to issue his own Decree 56 which reversed Ironsi's.
5. The theory that it is only through a centralized arrangement that a military man can effectively rule fails in the face of the fact that the proposals of Ojukwu, a military officer himself, at the Aburi meeting were in favour an extremely decentralized Nigeria to still be headed by Gowon, another military man, with himself, Ojukwu, controlling the Eastern part as a military man as well.
6. It does not take only an Oodua person to lay the truth bare that Ironsi pioneered the mutilation and bastardization of our constitution at a time the public did not demand a constitution review, thereby giving the moral courage to all his military successors to follow his path and further damage it to the sorry state it is in today. Any sincere Nigerian who has read up Nigeria's history from 1914 till July 1966 would not deny that Ironsi set in place a chain of reactions that eventually corrupted the enviable and working constitution we began with in 1960.
Please see below Ironsi's speech by which he abolished the regions and justified it with his belief in "national unity". In the speech he renamed Nigeria from "Federal Republic of Nigeria" to just "Republic of Nigeria"... meaning that the federating units no longer existed.

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Deadlytruth(m): 8:11am On Aug 06, 2016
And against one of your propositions here, Igbo massacres had already started in the North as far back as 1945 in Jos. Another happened in Kano in 1953 and the casualty figures were high. In 1966 right under Ironsi's nose it happened again with the casualty figure in thousands. I wonder whether you feel that it should have reached a million before classifying it as out of Igbo control. A single life lost paints a situation out of control.
Agreed that Northerners have refused to correct the mistake Ironsi made and for whic they killed him. However, the thrust of the warning to Ironsi against centralization was that once he pioneered it, it would become difficult to reverse since the taste and temptation of an over centralized purse and power would become irresistible by all future leaders irrespective of which part of the country they would come from. And that is where we are today.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Python Dance Is A Wonderful Exercise, Says Abia Dep Gov / Just In: No Candidates For APC In Zamfara, INEC Insists / Oby Ezekwesili: 'I Rejected An Offer To Be Buhari's Running Mate In 2011'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.