Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,239 members, 7,815,322 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

Abia Government Bans Street Trading - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abia Government Bans Street Trading (13672 Views)

Abia Government Extends Curfew In Aba / Abia Government Constructs Highway In Arochukwu Forest(pictures) / Men Who Stormed Abia Government House With Suspicious Materials Arrested. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abia Government Bans Street Trading by justhelp(m): 4:16pm On Aug 04, 2016
By Anayo Okoli & Ugochukwu Alaribe

ABA—Abia State government, yesterday, said it would Monday, August 8, begin the enforcement of the ban on street trading in the state and advised traders to relocate to approved sites, even as it extended the operational hours of tricycle (Keke) operators in the state from  7pm to 9pm.

Chairman of the Abia State Market Development Committee, ASMDC, Mr. Solomon Nwaigwe who stated this while addressing phone and accessories dealers at St. Michael’s Road, Aba, said the three months grace period given to the phone dealers to relocate to the Aba Mega Mall would not be extended as enforcement of the order would commence next Monday and warned that defaulters would be prosecuted.

Nwaigwe who stressed the dangers of street trading, hinted that the state government had mapped out sites for all service providers in the city to have a central market as obtainable in other parts of the world.

He claimed the state government had provided conducive environment with regular power supply and security at the Aba Mega Mall and ensured that traders would pay a monthly rent of N5,000 and N120,000, annually, for bigger shops.

According to him, “Abia State government is not going back on its resolve to end street trading in the state. On this, we are appealing to the phone and accessories dealers at St.Michaels road to relocate to the Aba Mega Mall where a conducive business environment has been provided for them at affordable prices. My Committee will ensure that all dealers on phones and accessories relocate to Aba Mega Mall to ensure a centralized market in Aba.”

Meanwhile, the government has extended the operational hours of tricycle (Keke) operators in the state from 7pm to 9pm.

The Government had last year restricted their operation to between 6am and 7pm, accusing them of using their tricycles to commit crimes.

Before the restriction, crime rates in Aba and Umuahia rose astronomically and there cases when crimes, including kidnapping and robbery were linked to operators, prompting the Government to ban their operation beyond 7pm.

Governor Okezie Ikpeazu who announced the extension in Aba at a solidarity rally organized in his honour by the Abia State Amalgamated Tricycle Operators Association, ASATOA,, said the initial restriction to 7pm was due to the increase in crimes linked to the operators.

The Governor however tasked operators to get rid of the bad eggs among them, promising that government would stop the imposition of multiple levies on the union.

Source:http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/abia-enforces-ban-street-trading-reviews-ban-tricycle-operations/

2 Shares

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by HungerBAD: 4:16pm On Aug 04, 2016
This is good.

Abia is the New Lagos.

Good to see there are some things,this Governor is emulating from APC Ambode.

2019 the whole Eastern States loading for APC.

7 Likes

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by justhelp(m): 4:19pm On Aug 04, 2016
From Lagos to Abia, govt why ?
Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by soberdrunk(m): 4:19pm On Aug 04, 2016
Hahhaahahaha! grin grin grin grin! Which type of new month joke is this

5 Likes

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by izzou(m): 5:06pm On Aug 04, 2016
As long as an alternative is provided, its a good move

5 Likes

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by justhelp(m): 5:19pm On Aug 04, 2016
izzou:

I will keep this for record

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by Super1759: 5:32pm On Aug 04, 2016
Such law can't work in ABA if not by force.. I know what am saying

7 Likes

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by izzou(m): 5:32pm On Aug 04, 2016
justhelp:
I will keep this for record

Make photocopies too

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by justhelp(m): 5:43pm On Aug 04, 2016
izzou:

Make photocopies too

u are funny grin

2 Likes

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by LORDOFTHEOSU: 5:50pm On Aug 04, 2016
Where are the OSUs shouting marginalization when Ambode banned them in Lagos? angry

71 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by Kx: 5:52pm On Aug 04, 2016
Please copy the good too, not just d "bad and ugly".
Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by photoshoot(m): 6:10pm On Aug 04, 2016
smiley
Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by veekid(m): 6:10pm On Aug 04, 2016
Change everywhere

1 Like

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by obailala(m): 6:11pm On Aug 04, 2016
These governors banning street trading, where do they expect the street traders to go to? how do they expect them to feed?

1 Like

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by ipledge10(m): 6:11pm On Aug 04, 2016
Wi
Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by bababuff(m): 6:12pm On Aug 04, 2016
Lagos streets beware. They are coming back.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by ipledge10(m): 6:12pm On Aug 04, 2016
izzou:

i need your help bro
No vex say I won disturb you
Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by Walexsammy(m): 6:12pm On Aug 04, 2016
cool
Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by dollarathe(m): 6:12pm On Aug 04, 2016
HNMmmm this APC is wicked
Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by Progressive01(m): 6:13pm On Aug 04, 2016
Genghen!

You see the problem with iPod Tadpoles.

Just a coupla weeks ago, they e-lynched Ambode and indeed the SW and APC for their "anti-people policies", and today, one of theirs has done exactly the same.

The other time, they blasted Northern lawmakers for kicking against a "gender equality bill" saying Muslims are backward in civilisation- couple of weeks later, the Enugu state HoA members shut down a similar bill, with some of the most vocal opponents to the bill citing verses in the Bible. One wondered then, how many Northerners are in their HoA!

Then the Ese Oruru saga hit us like a thunderbolt and they as usual, lumped all Northerners together and took them to the cleaners! About a month later, two teenage girls were raped to death in Ebonyi by four boys- two of whom were granted bail at the behest of one "Chief Ogbonaya" (I stand to be corrected).

No one would forget the ambassadorial nominee from the North who found it hard to recite the national anthem. iPad Tadpoles yet again lumped all northerners together and cursed the living daylights out of them- two days later, a lady from Ugu Republic, nominated for a similar position couldn't recite the national pledge!!!!

What I'm trying to say is, you guys should stop being too damn emotional about politics and stop being unnecessarily hateful of others different from you, because time and again, no sooner do you say those words than they turn around to hunt you.

It is well with patriotic Abians.

83 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by egift(m): 6:13pm On Aug 04, 2016
Now the Wailing community will be forming deaf and dumb. grin grin grin grin

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by leofab(f): 6:14pm On Aug 04, 2016
Juice back
Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by izzou(m): 6:14pm On Aug 04, 2016
ipledge10:
i need your help bro
No vex say I won disturb you

Shoot

And hope its not Mr Nairaland contest

2 Likes

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by yungkelz(m): 6:14pm On Aug 04, 2016
Nice move
Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by Daniel058(m): 6:14pm On Aug 04, 2016
Aba ele way? grin

Ndi York na NDI Kolombia nô Aba dey Hustle go be like "" GOVERNMENT LET'S""

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/avatars/299050[/img]

If una win we go surrender

8 Likes

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by Femich18(m): 6:14pm On Aug 04, 2016
ehen ehen....Where are my Yeebos brothers. I thought dey condemned Ambode and never saw anything good in the ban
Frankily I'm against the ban because people are suffering alot and the means of creating something for themselves have been blocked now without the Government providing another means for them. .
may God help us in this country o cos the poor are not been favoured or considered in most decision making

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by allanphash7(m): 6:14pm On Aug 04, 2016
You mean if someone hasnt use koboko or stick on some people they wont adhere to the law in Aba?
Super1759:
Such law can't work in ABA if not by force.. I know what am saying

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by Shabib(m): 6:14pm On Aug 04, 2016
K.
Let's see
Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by wasco24: 6:14pm On Aug 04, 2016
Buhari why

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Abia Government Bans Street Trading by lilbabyak(m): 6:15pm On Aug 04, 2016
Na buhari still cause this one again?
Wailers

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

16 Arrested Ipob Women Appear Before Owerri Magistrate Court(photos) / If Asset Declaration Isn’t Public, What’s Its Point? / Anioma And Igbo Trends On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.