Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,169 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) (3262 Views)

Nigerian Hajj Stampede Victim In Critical Condition At Saudi Hospital [photo] / Hajj Stampede: Hon. Adefolabi Still Missing / Bilikisu-Yusuf, Nigerian Journalist Dies In The Hajj Stampede (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by onikunkewu(m): 5:09pm On Dec 08, 2006
The pilgrimage (Hajj) is
1) One of the most important pillars of Islam.
2) A principal means of obtaining proximity to the Almighty.
3) One of the most difficult physical forms of worship.
4) So, vital that one who does not perform Hajj will be barred from Heaven.

The main aim of human creation is to recognize God and attain a stage of acquaintance and love for Him and this depends on the purity and loftiness of the human soul. i.e. The purer the soul becomes the more love will it have for the Almighty.

This stage of love can be attained by abstaining from desires and refraining from worldly pleasures and distractions, and by exerting oneself in the rigorous self-training activities for the sake of God, and, remembering him continuously. For this purpose the Almighty has legislated certain forms of worship (Ibadat).

a) Those involving the expenditure of wealth for His sake e.g. Zakaat and Khums which serve to sever the deep attachments to worldly possessions.
b) Those involving abstinence from desires and pleasures e.g. fasting.
c) Those related to His remembrance and diverting total attention towards Him e.g. Salat/Namaaz.

But Hajj involves all these and more, such as,
i) Leaving one's hometown.
ii) Physical exertion.
iii) Expenditure of wealth.
iv) Renewal of the covenant with God.
v) Circumambulation (Tawaaf).
vi) Supplication (Dua).
vii) Prayers (Salat/Namaaz).
And others like throwing pebbles, running between Safaa and Marwah etc.

Those who wonder at these actions do not realize that when we do not know the hidden meanings and reason of certain commands, we manifest more complete obedience and total submission to the Absolute Master in carrying out those orders. Those actions whose secrets we have been successful in understanding, our soul, besides obeying the Master's commands, is also inclined and pleased in performing them. Thus, it is only for Hajj that the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) is reported to have said, "O Almighty, I have responded to your call for Hajj with complete submission and humility."

Furthermore, the Hajj constitutes the congregation of people from all parts of the world, in the place where revelation was repeatedly sent down to the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.), where the beloved (Khaleel) of God resided, where angles used to descend every now and then. In fact, it is the holy place, which has been the abode of the majority of the Prophets.

Here the leader of the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) was born, his holy feet walked; and the Almighty has chosen it for His house so that people should pray towards it. He has sanctified its surroundings and has kept Arafah in the beginning of the Holy Land. He has prohibited hurting animals and uprooting vegetation there in as a mark of respect to the holiness of the land. He has designed it to be like the throne of Kings so that visitors from far off lands, disheveled and dusty, should remain there in humility to the Absolute Monarch realizing the fact that He is above all needs of time and space. While such a congregation leads to new acquaintances, meeting with virtuous personalities and stimulates quicker response to supplications (Dua), it invariably reminds of the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) and his efforts at spreading the Word of God. In this way one attains purity of the soul.

The intention for Hajj

1. The intention (Niyyah) must be pure and sincere for the sake of God only, but not for any other worldly motives, such as,
1) Showing off (Riyaa).
2) Avoiding rebukes for not performing Hajj.
3) Fear of poverty for it is known that one who does not perform Hajj is afflicted with poverty.
4) Business prospects, etc.
All these other motives destroy the sincerity (Ikhlaas) of the deeds and deprive one of the promised rewards. It is foolish to undertake all this rigor and expense only to end up in Damnation because the motive was adulterated.

2. One should sincerely repent of past sins and clear all the dues, (Huquq-un-Naas), and cleanse himself of all distractions so that the mind is easily turned towards God. One should write his will and prepare for the journey to the Hereafter as he leaves his house, relatives, friends, and possessions behind.

3. One should remember the majesty of the House and the Absolute Owner, and that one has chosen to leave family, friends, and possessions for the lofty and noble purpose of visiting a House, which the Almighty has designed as a sanctuary for all people. Hence this journey differs from all other worldly journeys. The pilgrim is one of those who have responded willingly to the invitation made by the Almighty's messenger.

4. The pilgrim should free himself of all matters, which tend to worry him so his total attention is towards the Almighty.

5. Any financial loss or physical affliction in this journey should be greeted happily, for, it is a sign of acceptance of Hajj.

6. The Pilgrim should ensure his earnings are acquired through lawful means and he should be liberal in expenditure, not extravagant (Israaf) though. But spending for the needy and deserving is not extravagance as it has been reported that there is no goodness in extravagance and no extravagance in goodness!

7. He should behave courteously towards his fellow travelers, smiling and talking gently with them, avoiding harsh words, abuses or vain talk. He should be humble to the other guests of the Almighty. Magnanimity does not only mean not to hurt others but also to endure when others hurt.

8. He should be disheveled and dusty, avoid cosmetics or any cause of pride and beauty, and if possible, travel on foot, especially from Makkah to Mina, Masher and Arafah, not as a means to avoid extra expenses (in which case, transport is better!) rather for exerting oneself for the sake of God, except if it affects other worship (Ibadat) or supplication (Dua).

ADD TO FAVORITES

HOLY QURAN
It is not their meat nor their blood, that reaches Allah: It is your piety that reaches Him: He has thus made them subject to you, that ye may glorify Allah for His Guidance to you and proclaim the good news to all who do right. (22:37)
Behold! Safa and Marwa are among the Symbols of Allah. So if those who visit the House in the Season or at other times, should compass them round, it is no sin in them. And if any one obeyeth his own impulse to good, be sure that Allah is He Who recogniseth and knoweth. (2:158)

EXTERNAL SOURCE
Hajj (The Pilgrimage)
Story of the Holy Kaba
Secrets of the Hajj
The Islamic Pilgrimage
Saudi Pilgrimage Sites
Ayatullah khamenei
Ayatullah Seestani
Ayatullah Shirazi
Ayatullah Lankarani

MAASSALM.
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by mukina2: 5:13pm On Dec 08, 2006
i wish all the pilgrims a sucessful hajj

i pray that Allah the almighty forgives them all their sins . . . .ameen kiss
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by belloti(m): 11:16am On Dec 12, 2006
Amen Mukina, and ours too
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by TayoD(m): 2:03pm On Dec 12, 2006
For those who have attended the hajj, do they now have the assurance that theire sins have been forgiven? On what basis and what premise do they expect their sins to be forgiven?

Mercy can never be dispensed by God without justice. How will God's justice to punish sin be met if He just arbitrarily offers you mercy? Can someone provide the ansers for these? I'm sure many may not have given it a thought.
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by belloti(m): 2:37pm On Dec 12, 2006
Transfer this to your christian thread TayoD. It doesnt work the same with Islam
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by Aggressa(m): 2:54pm On Dec 12, 2006
TayoD:

For those who have attended the hajj, do they now have the assurance that their sins have been forgiven? On what basis and what premise do they expect their sins to be forgiven? Mercy can never be dispensed by God without justice. How will God's justice to punish sin be met if He just arbitrarily offers you mercy? Can someone provide the ansers for these? I'm sure many may not have given it a thought.

belloti:

Transfer this to your christian thread TayoD. It doesnt work the same with Islam

@TayoD,
Very brilliant insight and question. Your question is because of your understanding of the nature and ways of the living God. But the response you got from 'mallam Belloti' further attest to the fact that either the 'mummin' dont really know the ways of God or that allah is simply an idol who needs "works of 'appeasement" in the kabbah, or probably both. Now you see again that we do not worship the same God.

NB: Don't anybody waste their time in telling me this is an islamic topic or muslim thread or any rubbish about 'christian thread.' Any topic on this Nairaland is open to all. You cant hide under that here or in this day and age. If you are afraid of comments and questions, then stop using the net, or open another website, etc.
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by Nobody: 5:27pm On Dec 12, 2006
belloti:

Is there a christian or muslim nairaland now? Or is someone simply trying to dodge answering valid questions that seem to expose the shaky foundation of their sanctioned idol worship?

How can al-illah "forgive" sins? where in the quran did he claim to have the power to do such? Why was Mohammed afraid of his eternal destiny at the point of death if indeed al-illah forgives sins?

What really are "sins" in the islamic sense? Rape is justified, killing is glorified, blasphemy is firmly established, lying is encouraged, deciet is used as a weapon of war and mass murderers are deified as martyrs!
What "sins" is al-illah left to forgive?
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by mrpataki(m): 5:45pm On Dec 12, 2006
@ Belloti
belloti:

Please answer his questions or maybe any of the Alfas in the house could help him out since, i can see he is devoid of the answer. smiley
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by belloti(m): 3:12pm On Dec 13, 2006
For Hajj are the months well known. If any one undertakes that duty therein, Let there be no obscenity, nor wickedness, nor wrangling in the Hajj. And whatever good ye do, (be sure) Allah knoweth it. And take a provision (With you) for the journey, but the best of provisions is right conduct. So fear Me, o ye that are wise.
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #197)

On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns. (Praysmiley "Our Lord! Condemn us not if we forget or fall into error; our Lord! Lay not on us a burden Like that which Thou didst lay on those before us; Our Lord! Lay not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Blot out our sins, and grant us Forgiveness. Have mercy on us. Thou art our Protector; Help us against those who stand against faith."
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #286)

The Evil one threatens you with poverty and bids you to conduct unseemly. Allah promiseth you His Forgiveness and bounties. And Allah careth for all and He knoweth all things.
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #268)
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by Nobody: 3:44pm On Dec 13, 2006
undecided

o hajj?

Another drain on our seemingly bottomless reserve of oil funds! An unecessary government burden aimed at placating the religious fanatics in the north!
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by mukina2: 9:34pm On Dec 13, 2006
as tak fir ru luh
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by mrpataki(m): 10:03am On Dec 14, 2006
mukina2:

as tak fir ru luh
Je veux vous comprehendez mukina2, with what you just wrote out there.
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by olabowale(m): 11:02am On Dec 14, 2006
@Davidylan: Where do you come from in Yorubaland? The problem that you have is that you hate Northerners of Nigeria. Yet Islam is not exclusive to them alone. What is it that is eating you. If you continue like this, my the time you are middle age, you may be comorbid. Yes, I know your mother is a Doctor and maybe you are studying Medicine as well. But do you want to be a patient? This is a terrible goal.
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by mukina2: 11:08am On Dec 14, 2006
mrpataki:

Je veux vous comprehendez mukina2, with what you just wrote out there.

. .it was not for you . .i was just thinking aloud
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by Nobody: 4:07am On Dec 15, 2006
olabowale:

@Davidylan: Where do you come from in Yorubaland? The problem that you have is that you hate Northerners of Nigeria. Yet Islam is not exclusive to them alone. What is it that is eating you. If you continue like this, my the time you are middle age, you may be comorbid. Yes, I know your mother is a Doctor and maybe you are studying Medicine as well. But do you want to be a patient? This is a terrible goal.

@ Olabowale

This should not be misconstrued as mere "hating" northerners! It is about realism! Nigeria is the only "democracy" in the world where one cannot differentiate between state and religion! It is only in Nigeria that a purely religious voluntary obligation has become the burden of the state and is funded by tax payers money!

The hajj is NOT a government obligation, the nonsense of government taking responsibility for some people who want to worship their idol in far away Saudi Arabia started with the northern military leeches in power!

The USA does not take responsibility for its citizens going on pilgirmage to Isreal, it is purely regarded as a private affair. Islam and Nigeria should not be different when it comes to the hajj!
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by ZuluNation(m): 4:12am On Dec 15, 2006
No offence intended. My only prayer is that all muslims in Nigeria would go on Hajj and never come back. I'm sure Saudi Arabia would love to have them.
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by bluenubian(f): 4:15am On Dec 15, 2006
oooooh, yeah pun intended undecided
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by ZuluNation(m): 4:17am On Dec 15, 2006
Blue, my hand no dey!!
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by bluenubian(f): 4:19am On Dec 15, 2006
oh ok, oya come make we commot
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by ZuluNation(m): 4:22am On Dec 15, 2006
I'm way ahead of you my dear, Muslim brothers and sistas abeg make una no vex
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by onikunkewu(m): 11:32am On Dec 15, 2006
HI, Davidyland it seems you need more understanding about islam or so to say the concept of hajj itself,hajj is never a burden to the federal government,just the way government contributing her quoter to those travelling to Jerusalem so also did to those on board for hajj. Mind you, it is the responsibility of any government to be sure that all acts of worship are ahieved to the maximum level,hence saying that the hajj is a burden to the gov.you have indeed failled in that aspect.
Moreover,saying that hajj is a means through which muslems go to saudi arabia to worship idols is blasphemous.I beleive no good follower of Christ Jesus will ever alter such a statement.
pleeeeease Davidyland mind your tongue if really you want inherit the kingdom of God.
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by onikunkewu(m): 11:51am On Dec 15, 2006
As for you , Zulunation, praying that muslems should go to hajj and never return home,i believe you are such a christian fellow who never abide by the teachings of the holy bible,becouse Jesus has never in any way set a curse on other fellow creatures, all he did was to seek the true guidians and forgiveness of God for everyone including the unbelievers during his life time.
      Bros. try emulate the teachings and practices of the Christ Jesus.
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by TayoD(m): 2:57pm On Dec 15, 2006
@onikunkewu,

Moreover,saying that hajj is a means through which muslems go to saudi arabia to worship idols is blasphemous.I beleive no good follower of Christ Jesus will ever alter such a statement
I am a Christian and I concur with the fact that Moslems do go to Saudi to worship idols.  If you do not know the history of the kabba, then I will tell you.  It is a house of idols from time immemorial and it remains the same till date.

As for you , Zulunation, praying that muslems should go to hajj and never return home,i believe you are such a christian fellow who never abide by the teachings of the holy bible,becouse Jesus has never in any way set a curse on other fellow creatures
So you agree that it is a curse to leave Nigeria and live in Saudi Arabia, your holy land?  Na wa for you o.  Why are you still a muslim then?  Don't you agree that living that close to the kabba will make you closer to your allah and more righteous?

I hope you know that the Hajj predates Muhammad.  This was a ritual maintained by those who kept the house of idols (kabba) in pre-mohammed days.  This was basically a political and economic tool, and it remains the same till date.  It will serve you better financially to go to Olumo Rock in Abeokuta and at least contribute some of that money into Nigeria's economy.
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by Nobody: 3:52pm On Dec 15, 2006
onikunkewu:

HI, Davidyland it seems you need more understanding about islam or so to say the concept of hajj itself,hajj is never a burden to the federal government,just the way government contributing her quoter to those travelling to Jerusalem so also did to those on board for hajj. Mind you, it is the responsibility of any government to be sure that all acts of worship are ahieved to the maximum level,hence saying that the hajj is a burden to the gov.you have indeed failled in that aspect. Moreover,saying that hajj is a means through which muslems go to saudi arabia to worship idols is blasphemous.I beleive no good follower of Christ Jesus will ever alter such a statement.
pleeeeease Davidyland mind your tongue if really you want inherit the kingdom of God.

The above higlighted quote is the reason Nigeria will NEVER move forward as long as we keep mixing religion and politics! It is the very height of state irresponsibility for govt to use funds meant for social responsibilities and waste it on a group of idol worshippers going to Mecca to do no one but themselves a huge favor! Is the hajj a benefit to ALL Nigerians, christian, muslim and atheist alike?

Since when did govt responsibility include "helping" citizens fulfill their religious obligations to the maximum especially while neglecting to provide good roads, employment, healthcare, education to those same citizens?
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by mrpataki(m): 4:18pm On Dec 15, 2006
oh hajj oh hajj oh hajj,
another form of sheer squander of the state treasury to those idol worshippers again.
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by mukina2: 7:43pm On Dec 15, 2006
La ilaha illa-Allah Muhammadur Rasulullah!
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by onikunkewu(m): 7:55pm On Dec 15, 2006
May the Lord Almighty deliver you guys and guide you to the right path befor it is too late
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by mukina2: 7:58pm On Dec 15, 2006
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by onikunkewu(m): 8:09pm On Dec 15, 2006
mrpataki:

oh hajj oh hajj oh hajj,
another form of sheer squander of the state treasury to those idol worshippers again.

@mrpataki    

Indirectly going to jerusalem is also a form of share squander of the state treasury and idol worshipping if atall you understand what you are saying.
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by TayoD(m): 8:27pm On Dec 15, 2006
Under no circumstance should the State funds be used to fund a purely religious duty of an individual. Whether the funds is provided for Hajj or for a visit to Jerusalem is immaterial. State funds should be used for State purposes.

In any case, those who consider it a duty to visit Jerusalem are doing it purely on their own conviction. It has nothing to do with the tenets of the Bible.
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by TayoD(m): 8:31pm On Dec 15, 2006
@Mukina

How many times do you need to say that to bring salvation to your soul? Here is an advice for you from the Gospels which your allah claims he sent down: Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Re: Learn More About Hajj (the Pilgrimage) by mukina2: 8:41pm On Dec 15, 2006

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Most Translated Book After The Bible / Dear Olabowale / Those Doubting The Existence Of God,what Is The Source Of Supernatural Powers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.