Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,408 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

The Olympics, I Reminisce. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Olympics, I Reminisce. (392 Views)

“Conte Is Punishing Mikel For Playing For Nigeria At The Olympics” – Rohr / Saudi Arabia's Kariman Abujadayel At The Olympics Fully Kitted In Hijab / Marjorie Enya Proposes To Isadora Cerullo At The Olympics (PICS&VIDEO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Olympics, I Reminisce. by faro02455(m): 9:41am On Aug 06, 2016
The Olympics; I Reminisce.

My love for football is really high, but my love for the Olympic games is even higher because true sportsmanship and genuine fair plays is always on display. The Olympic games had started even before Nigeria came into existence (lol); but to me, the games started in 1996. Yes, I saw my uncle shouting Anjuwaaa; even though I didn't really understand what was happening. I remember how we watched the Nigeria vs Brazil match on my grandma small president television; I even thought it was the final until I grew a bit older. I didn't understand anything, but I remember how I was laughing around the neighbourhood when Kanu scored the winning goal; thus the Olympic spirit had been established in my heart.
It was Sidney 2000, hosted by Australia that I had a better picture though still a lil boy; but I guess my crush for Australian Cathy Freeman made to glue to the T.V. I actually started having crush on her right from the opening ceremony (I remember my mum telling me"close your teeth...asewo oshi"wink.

I remember Eric Moussabani, the swimmer from equatorial Guinea; he didn't win any medal. He's even regarded as one of the worst athletes to have participated in the Olympic; but he left an indelible footprint in Sydney. Eric Moussabani was to have a swimming race for 100m freestyle,when all other participants on his heat had a false start leaving only Eric as the only one not disqualified and thus run the race alone. He swum with the time 1min 52secs. Making it the slowest 100m freestyle swim pace in Olympic history. How the crowd cheered him was more important to me because that was when I learnt my first lesson on courage.
Eric later in an interview said " I could have jump with others too, then all of us would have had the false start; but I was scared because I've never seen a pool like that before in my life" . Marion Jones stole the show at the Sydney Olympic games but Eric got many endorsement even than Marion. I remember how I was so emotional when he eventually finished the race.
Then I learnt that the most important thing in the Olympic games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well. ...to be continued......

Ayodeji Faro writes via Ayodejiviews.

(1) (Reply)

Our Bet Of The Day Was Successful Checkout / Today's, Chelsea Vs West Ham United (which Part Did You Enjoy Most) / Santa Clara Police May Boycott 49ers Games Over Kaepernick Row

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.