Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,287 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power (4052 Views)

IBB Calls For Jihad Against Boko Haram - Bbc Hausa / IBB Calls For Creation Of State Police To Fight Terrorism / IBB Calls For National Prayer. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by Abagworo(m): 7:49am On Sep 24, 2009
A positive statement from one of the greatest footballers of our time.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/09/24/ibb-calls-for-power-decentralisation/
IBB calls for power decentralisation
September 24, 2009.

Categories: National News

By Wole Mosadomi

Minna — Former Military President, General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida has called for the decentralisation of power from the central to other tiers of government in the country, saying the centre is overloaded with too much responsibilities thereby having too much to chew.

Speaking at the 3rd Annual National Peace Day lecture organised by the Abdusalami Abubakar Institute for Peace and Sustainable Development and Niger State government, the former Military President observed that if federalism is to be properly practised, there is the need for the centre to shed more responsibilities for the states and local governments to perform.

He particularly stressed that handling of primary and secondary education by the centre should be left for both state and local governments to take care of.

According to him, “such areas like the economy, defence, security and foreign policy, among others, should be paramount to the central government.

“Even though I was opposed to it before, I am now a born again and that is why I joined others who have been agitating for state police, because it will enhance security in the country,” Babangida stressed.

He also said though he had kicked against people agitations for state policies in the past, there is now the need for state to have and fund their police to beef up security in the country.

“Though I enjoyed most of these powers during my tenure, but I saw the need for a change and that was why I set up a committee on Devolution of Power in 1989 under the Chairmanship of Abdusalam Okene, to take care of these problems and set out agenda for the future,” Babangida remarked.

The state governor, Dr. Mu’azu Babangida Aliyu in his paper titled, Constitutional Review as a Mechanism for Peace and Stability, said no matter how good the constitution of a country is, if it does not carry along the people, such constitution is bound to fail.

He observed that the panacea for a stable polity lies in good governance and responsible, God fearing servant-leadership which must exemplify discipline and respect for law and order.

“Constitutional review that reflects equality, fairness and justice, and the shared aspirations and values of the people will guarantee peace and stability if the leadership respect the Rule of Law and the citizen are disciplined,” the governor added
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by asha80(m): 7:54am On Sep 24, 2009

“Even though I was opposed to it before, I am now a born again and that is why I joined others who have been agitating for state police, because it will enhance security in the country,” Babangida stressed.

He also said though he had kicked against people agitations for state policies in the past, there is now the need for state to have and fund their police to beef up security in the country.

grin grin grin angry angry angry
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by Onlytruth(m): 8:08am On Sep 24, 2009
E be like say IBB de read my posts here for NL. grin

I'm really happy for this change in position. I might be wooed back to Nigeria again sooner than I thought. State police is critical to security in Nigeria. I'm waiting for others, but so far so good!
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by Abagworo(m): 8:15am On Sep 24, 2009
Onlytruth:

E be like say IBB de read my posts here for NL. grin

I'm really happy for this change in position. I might be wooed back to Nigeria again sooner than I thought. State police is critical to security in Nigeria. I'm waiting for others, but so far so good!

don't be surprised.even yar'adua dey visit nairaland.
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by CrudeOil2(m): 8:27am On Sep 24, 2009
Look who's talking.
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by agabaI23(m): 12:28pm On Sep 24, 2009
Well if IBB can be born again, the Nigeria can be be born again too.

Good statement credited to him though assuming it is not one his game plans- once a maradonna . . . .
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by chosen04(f): 12:29pm On Sep 24, 2009

[quote][/quote]

SO MR DISASTER IS NOW BORN AGAIN?. EVEN THE DEVIL WILL SOON CLAIM TO BE BORN AGAIN!!!
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by hackney(m): 1:01pm On Sep 24, 2009
Not sure he was refering to the christian 'born again' but still
with God all things are possible.

Also his proposition for a fairly decentralised Govt may be the solution.
That way there is no ambiguity in identifying  who the culprits are when things go wrong in the state.
Some policies can be challenged at state level (like in USA) and changed if required.
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by Ibime(m): 1:05pm On Sep 24, 2009
Una trust Maradona? All this one na yarns.

IBB cannot keep his bunkering hands off Niger-Delta oil. You think he would willingly devolve power to states? Im no wan hear say River State Police impound one of him barges.
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by bidemi12(m): 1:08pm On Sep 24, 2009
@onlytruth I am sorry for you. You wan die? IBB de talk and you are listening. No jupiter can bring me back for now until all of those leaders are dead and i have built my fortress, not a house but a fortress 'cause na war zone be that ooooooo.
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by tunyus(m): 1:15pm On Sep 24, 2009
devil like IBB only talk in country like NAIJA angry
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by otukpo(f): 1:19pm On Sep 24, 2009
It is possible he is now a changed person, not from the religious point of view.
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by otukpo(f): 1:21pm On Sep 24, 2009
God can change him and the use him to correct some of the wrongs in the Nigerian society. There is nothing God can't do.
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by tunyus(m): 1:27pm On Sep 24, 2009
@otukpo
can u hear urself can IBB change.this IBB IS STILL responsible 4 many devil befalling dis country(he is just acting underground)
IBB,OBJ,ATIKU and d rest can anything good come 4rm dem
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by semid4lyfe(m): 1:33pm On Sep 24, 2009
Crap! Born again my ass. Can a leopard ever change his spots?
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by chosen04(f): 1:37pm On Sep 24, 2009
hackney:

Not sure he was refering to the christian 'born again' but still
with God all things are possible.

Maybe he was refering to SATANIC 'Born again.  But with Satan things will never remain the same
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by agor1974: 1:39pm On Sep 24, 2009
its great that those who killed and destroy the igbos are now paying the price of repentance.ibb and decentralisation of power look who is talking, so now they have seen the light,the niger delta have seen darkness and destruction of their home and land.the blood of 3m innocent igbos killed in nigeria will not allow that nation to rest untill every tribe pays back what they took from them.ibb fought against the igbos for agitating for decentralisation of power in nigeria,so also the so called niger-delta today whats happening everybody is now singing the same tone.decentralisation.
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by MUZBO(m): 1:46pm On Sep 24, 2009
All that one na talk. The next thing he'll say SAP was a mistake. The guy just wan come back to power. Just like Soludo saying he'll create 300,000 jobs if elected! How? - get people to build another tower of Babylon?!!
Stupid politicians and their gimmicks.
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by MrCrackles(m): 1:48pm On Sep 24, 2009
IBB please shut your gworro depleted mouth up!
Useless vagabond who knows fuc.k all. . . . .
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by bidemi12(m): 1:49pm On Sep 24, 2009
@agor1974 My friend do not start with this your tribalistic/ethnic chant.  
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by chosen04(f): 1:53pm On Sep 24, 2009
MUZBO:

All that one na talk. The next thing he'll say SAP was a mistake. The guy just wan come back to power. Just like Soludo saying he'll create 300,000 jobs if elected! How? - get people to build another tower of Babylon?!!
Stupid politicians and their gimmicks.

Muzbo,

300,000 jobs by the year 2030?. Who is fooling who?
U have not accepted my yahoo mssger I.V
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by monopolist: 1:54pm On Sep 24, 2009
Once a Maradona is forever a Maradona.

If IBB is born again let him release all our money and properties that he stole and let us give to the poor and every Nigerian.

IBB and co. will soon vomit up all that they have stolen.

Thieves are talking about Police. Are we doing Police and Thief Game in Nigeria?.

It is Pay back time. No Escaping.
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by mrperfect(m): 2:02pm On Sep 24, 2009
There is no problem with what he said, but the problem is who is saying it.
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by monopolist: 2:07pm On Sep 24, 2009
The False Prophet Evil Genius and his demonic disciples are wolves in sheep clothing. THEY ARE OUT AGAIN TO DEVOUR .By there fruits we shall know them.

9JA Maradona is the Founder of 9JA Corruption and i am surprised such people are still alive,free and talking in 9JA.

Vengeance day.
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by okeey(m): 2:13pm On Sep 24, 2009
i just dont know wht i shd say
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by yeswecan(m): 2:16pm On Sep 24, 2009
a welcomed development
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by Akanniade(m): 2:22pm On Sep 24, 2009
That fox should return all the money he stole before we can take his words seriously.
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by StEdwin(m): 2:39pm On Sep 24, 2009
Abagworo:

don't be surprised.even yar'adua dey visit nairaland.
lol, I won't be surprised too but why now?
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by bawomolo(m): 2:43pm On Sep 24, 2009
lol@born again.

You have to admit IBB is a slick dude.
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by BabaO2: 3:17pm On Sep 24, 2009
End time has come
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by MUZBO(m): 3:22pm On Sep 24, 2009
chosen04:

Muzbo,

300,000 jobs by the year 2030?. Who is fooling who?
U have not accepted my yahoo mssger I.V
Sorry dear! I'm mobile right now. I'll check if it'll work.
Re: Ibb Calls For Decentralisation Of Power by bidemi12(m): 3:54pm On Sep 24, 2009
@End time I wont go as far as saying that, but you Never know when it comes to naija. Christ might decide to visit only Nigeria and leave the rest ot the world alone with the way things are going. What is considered abominable in other places is often the norm. We seriously need divine judgement and fast. grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Southeast Governors Have Mortgaged Ndiigbo Future—max Gbanite / Kirikiri Gets The Bode George Effect / Bankole And Nafada Granted Bail In The Sum Of N500m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.