Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,742 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) (23714 Views)

Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. / Pictures Of NFF Branded Wine Bottles For Use After Tomorrow's Match / Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by StoneLucifer: 11:55am On Aug 11, 2016
Many here on NL were not born when Sam died,so they dont know him..Now these little kids will come to NL and rain insults on people old enough to be their father or mother over political,social,and ethnic issues.. Well that is what u get in social media.Nobody sees each other or knows who is who!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 11:55am On Aug 11, 2016
Osmondinho:
Anything You are doing in this Country... You should always bear Two important Things in Mind. . .

1) Always Collect Your Pay From the Nation

2) Never... I repeat Never you die in the course of Your Duty for the Country...

No one will Remember You!!

Number 2 is arguably. There are people that will remember you. It might not happen in your lifetime, your offsprings or progeny might just be the beneficiaries. Talking from experience.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Goodeeman: 11:56am On Aug 11, 2016
Proffdada:
I tire o. Even the MOD na bebeto
He has jump the gun.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by IceDude(m): 11:56am On Aug 11, 2016
Extend my greetings to Keshi, Amodu etc....RIP guys
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by naptu2: 11:57am On Aug 11, 2016
This is my favourite goal by Okwaraji. I searched YouTube for a video of this goal from 2008 till 2016 before I eventually found one. That's because most people on YouTube prefer to post videos of the final, which was also between Nigeria and Cameroon.

This is a group stage match at the 1988 Nations Cup (Maroc '88) between Nigeria and Cameroon. Okwaraji scored in the second minute via a rocket shot from outside the penalty box (this is the kind of shot that Ernest Okonkwo would describe as an "intercontinental ballistic missile). It was the fastest goal at the Nations Cup at that time. Roger Milla equalised in the 21st minute, via a bullet header that beat Peter Rufai and it ended

Nigeria 1-1 Cameroon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY9ZYHyTVwU

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by naptu2: 12:08pm On Aug 11, 2016
My dad and others were at the stadium, but I watched the match on tv at home. I saw when Okwaraji collapsed, when one of the players (I've forgotten who) put his hands on his head in alarm and when Okwaraji was stretchered into the ambulance. I assumed that he was alive and expected to read updates on his condition in the papers the next day.

I also saw as some fans were being carried over the fence and stretchered to the athletics track where Red Cross officials were attending to them. The stadium was too full and it seems that the gates were opened during the second half and there was a scuffle between people who were trying to get into the arena and people who were trying to get out. Some people suffocated, while others were trampled.

But my uncle (who played for Nigeria in the '50s and '60s) showed up at the house after the match. "Where is ****" (my dad). "He's not back", I replied.

"They've killed this boy o!", my uncle exclaimed. I asked who and he replied that Okwaraji was dead. I didn't believe him. "But they put him in the ambulance", I replied. My uncle grew angry. "Which ambulance? Which ambulance? The boy was dead on the pitch. The ambulance was just for show, so that the crowd wouldn't panic".

I still refused to believe him, but I didn't argue, because I could see that he was upset. Instead, I went to my room and prayed, hoped and wished that Okwaraji was still alive. But unfortunately, it was reported on the NTA News that Okwaraji was dead. cry

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by organicfoods(m): 12:22pm On Aug 11, 2016
The legend lives on...What a classic player we never had!
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by naptu2: 12:32pm On Aug 11, 2016
Okwaraji's death was especially painful because of the nature of the man. At that time there was a dichotomy between the professional players and the home based players.

The professionals made a lot of demands before playing for the national teams. They often arrived camp and training sessions late (in flashy cars) and were always involved in one scandal or the other (eg Etim Esin).

Okwaraji was the opposite. He never caused any problems, often paid his own travel expenses, was always the first to get to camp and was never involved in any scandals. He was a devout christian and was studying for his law degree at an Italian university. He was actually playing in Italy (which most nigerians felt had the best league in the world at the time).
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by onyidon21: 12:37pm On Aug 11, 2016
He was a qualified lawyer and he died a hero. continue to rest in peace
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Rekyz(m): 1:03pm On Aug 11, 2016
RIP... I saw a statue of him at the eyesore Dan Ayiam stadium, Owerri last time i visited.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by onwukaedu88(m): 1:04pm On Aug 11, 2016
for those of u who thought he died after scoring the only goal in that match when the Indians wipe us 100 goals to one... Hope una don wake frm u a sleep sha...

On a more serious note, this guy get tattoo for im left hand sha
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by pippimp(m): 1:14pm On Aug 11, 2016
NigerianTabloid:
Tomorrow, 12th of August, 2016, makes it exactly 27 year since the exit of Nigeria’s first football martyr, Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji‎.

The sad event occurred on a tension-soaked Saturday, 12th August, 1989, during a make or mar Italia 1990 World Cup qualifier match, between the Green Eagles and the boastful Angolan side. The pulsating encounter was held at the now pathetic and rickety National Stadium, in Surulere, Lagos.

http://www.tabloidnig.com/2016/08/27-years-after-remembering-sochukwuma.html

One thing stands out from your post. The national stadium in Surulere was once the pride of Africa at one time. Today, it is a testament to the quality of our maintenance culture. Nigeria is truly a phucked country.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Nobody: 1:19pm On Aug 11, 2016
Okwarajiiiii, odigba o seee, ti o ba t'aye wa, a o ma se ranti. ti o ba t'orun bo, a o ma so wipe, iku boolu lo pa bobo yen, okwaraji, odigba o see. Song composed by yorubas for this legend nd still singing it till today in remembrance of him.

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by eminent007(m): 1:28pm On Aug 11, 2016
ALAYORMII:
Ohhh Okwaraji

Ohhh Okwaraji

Iwo nikan lowo baba. (Only child of Ur dad)

Iwo nikan lowo mama. (Only child of Ur mum)

Tiwon ba ngba boolu lorun. (If they play ball in Heaven)

Ko ge won lege ara. (Dribble them in a special way)

Rest on Samuel

I site you bro.
I sang it then.

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by sixtus3606(m): 1:30pm On Aug 11, 2016
fikayor2:
I was born a week after his death
grin
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Osmondinho(m): 1:44pm On Aug 11, 2016
PRISTINEMUSCLES:

Number 2 is arguably. There are people that will remember you. It might not happen in your lifetime, your offsprings or progeny might just be the beneficiaries. Talking from experience.

Am also talking from experience... The government officials will sit on the entitlement of the bereaved family
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by missuniverse(f): 2:15pm On Aug 11, 2016
Sam Okwaraji
was a player
he came to play
for Nigeria
as he was playing
he fell down
that was the end
of his life

Who else knows that song??
.........RIP to the dead......
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by longayink: 2:35pm On Aug 11, 2016
The best dedication to late Sam Okwaraji was a modern stadium built and dedicated to his name by Imo state govt in early 2007 in his home LGA, Orlu.
The present governor of Imo state, Rochas Okorocha, dismantled the stadium in 2011. The govt has not been able to build a new one.

Orlu people are the most apolitical people, perhaps, in Africa. They do not care about matters and development in their area.

http://vastsportsfacilities.com/webone/home/index.php/ongoing-projects/orlu-township-stadium?page=1

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by agadam(m): 2:59pm On Aug 11, 2016
R.I.P
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by zeburudaya: 3:21pm On Aug 11, 2016
I doesn't knows about him
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by oodua1stson: 3:23pm On Aug 11, 2016
tysontim:
he took part in the India 99-0 debacle
story for the orunmila

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Rx350(m): 3:50pm On Aug 11, 2016
Berlyn:

i Don't know him undecided
Don't worry dear... It's not your fault. I just blame your social studies teacher
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by ladychioma: 4:02pm On Aug 11, 2016
RIP
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by naptu2: 5:02pm On Aug 11, 2016
More videos of Okwaraji.

I remember Maroc '88 very well. The ladies in the house could not get enough of the princes (the crown prince of Morocco and his brother represented King Hassan at the opening ceremony). Parachutists displayed their skill at the opening ceremony and one of them got caught on one of the floodlight towers.

Okwaraji played an important part in some of the most memorable scenes in that nations cup. He scored the fastest goal in nations cup history (I now have NTA's footage of that goal. I.e. english commentary) and he scored during that insane semi-final against Algeria.

That semi-final was crazy. Okwaraji forced an algerian to score an own goal and the match was tied at 1-1 after extra time. Then followed the longest penalty series in nations cup history. Nigeria eventually won 9-8 when Rufai saved Algerian legend, Lakhdar Belloumi's penalty. (Stephen Keshi joked that he told Rufai that he had been diving in one direction all evening and urged him to dive in the opposite direction).

Nigeria vs Cameroon (Your commentators are Fabio Lanipekun and Charles Ojugbana). You can see Stephen Keshi, Henry Nwosu and Samuel Okwaraji singing the anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KGHZiud_Y8

Nigeria vs Algeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdcYaOxWtvo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by naptu2: 5:14pm On Aug 11, 2016
grin grin grin

Charles Ojugbana's commentary is hilarious!

"And Egboigbe" (Egboigbe dribbles the algerian), "That's a good one from Egboigbe and RASHIDI YEKINI A OH! AND OH! OKWARAJI OH! AND IT'S A GOAL!!!"

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by naptu2: 5:37pm On Aug 11, 2016
And Peter Rufai is the hero.

I could not sit and watch, yet I could not get up and leave. It was that bad. My dad had left, "Come and call me when it's over", but I knew that he was listening to commentaries on his radio.

Every outfield player had played a penalty. Then the goalkeepers also took their penalties. This video begins when the score was 7-7. You get to see Uche Okafor, Peter Rufai and Augustine Eguavoen's penalties. You can see the Eagles huddled together, praying.

Then, you know what they say about your biggest star missing a penalty. Algerian legend, Lakhdar Belloumi steps up to take his penalty and Rufai tips the ball round the post and sends Nigeria into the final to play Cameroon for the second time at Maroc '88.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsO5CeJAktQ
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by nwamehn: 6:04pm On Aug 11, 2016
RealAdewole:
that national lie we all believed

No be small national lie o. A national lie that has the Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba versions. The Igbo version says it was Sam Okwaraji that scored the lone goal for Nigeria, the Yoruba version says it was Segun Odegbanmi that scored it. That story eeeh.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by IbBarham(m): 6:11pm On Aug 11, 2016
RIP
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Bigmikedagod(m): 7:23pm On Aug 11, 2016
Rip to him
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by kenoz(m): 10:12pm On Aug 11, 2016
RIP
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Seunnzy(m): 1:44am On Aug 12, 2016
tysontim:
he took part in the India 99-0 debacle
lol
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Thundeh(m): 9:55am On Aug 12, 2016
Continue to RIP great patriot.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rangers Players Storm Mbaka Church To Thank God For Helping Them Win Kano Pillar / A List Of Great Players Who Failed As Coaches / Messi Didn't Break Pele's Record - Santos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.