Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,301 members, 7,836,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] (9545 Views)

A Discussion On God And Consciousness Between An Atheist And A Pantheist. / The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) / A Discussion between Antiparticle and DoctorAlien on GOD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by 4kings: 9:25pm On Aug 11, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Lmaoo grin grin . Clear the speck of sawdust from your eye first before you do same to another
wtf is speck of dust here.
My opinion came from the principle of cause and effect, if its rational u want.

KingEbukasBlog:

Smh ... you won't understand .. I just feel sorry for the atheists anyway ... so sorry for them .. Just let them not blame God when the time comes
You better wake up from that dream.
Even Andrew wommack, says he has never heard god speak directly to him, but oyedepo who had 18 hours vision with god, his wife has missed services cause of illness he couldn't heal. smh.

1 Like

Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by hopefuLandlord: 9:26pm On Aug 11, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

"Heaven at Last " - this is meant to remind you to always live a righteous life devoid of depravities . Your salvation and righteous life gets you to Heaven . And please Heaven - different from God's abode - is here on earth and according to the bible not everyone would witness death in other to experience Heaven .

I'm afraid I don't accept this

I'm telling you the impression an outsider has

The effect on you would be different since you go to the church

We that don't go can't possibly look at it and interpret this the way you just did

Comprende...
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by HCpaul(m): 9:27pm On Aug 11, 2016
I appreciate the privilege to communicate knowledge here on Nairaland "a platform based on intellectual talks. I am also highly indebted for opening this thread where we can successfully communicate our views on "afterlife" in a peaceful manner.

It should interest us to know what prompted the idea of afterlife in the first instance. Don't really know if any scientific argument can be invoke but am sticking to the philosophical approach.

In a land filled with religion charlatans across the globe, several people had claimed to have experienced afterlife and coming back to earth with a testimony.

They've expressed the horrified nature of one of the disintegrated destination of life (hell) by narrating how the excruciating pains are and a heaven filled with indisputable amusement and peace. Most of their informations are in correlation with Biblical verses. This is because there is always a verse to justify every Christian's claim.

With the way it's been spoken of, it seems to be real because according to them, it is the spirit of a man that will be separated from his body in order to encounter this realm. But the same book claim that the body too can experience the afterlife realm as well according to Matt 10:28.
In order to prove the afterlife ideology right or wrong, one must first justify the truthfulness or the falsifieability of the spirit otherwise known as the spirit man.

But nevertheless, the information of these people contradicted one another as their primary aim is to validate their denominational doctrines and religious beliefs.

Whenever the white claims to encounter this particular realm, the issue of dressing won't be talked upon but in Nigeria, a man or a woman will just wake up and started telling people how someone can get to hell by wearing trousers and other bodily accessories.
But in Nigeria, the CAC's are the one that claims to encounter this realm most and I will post some of their testimonies here to be put into justice whether sane or not.

- Babalola is in heaven and Michael Jackson is in hell fire.

- An evangelist is the person that is having the highest mansion in heaven.

- 3 people makes heaven in a year but Babalola has later upgraded it to around 20 during his earthly ministry.

- God gave Babalola half of his power while the whole world shares the other half. This contradicted john 3:34.

They are just numerous to be numbered but you can try downloading some of their afterlife encounter messages online by just searching "Evangelist Funmilayo afterlife encounter" and "Pastor Moses Ezekiel encounter with Jesus".

I was a Christian that loved reading about afterlife because that was the area where I got fascinated with the most.
I had read about the encounters of afterlife from Mary Katherine Baxter from the US and the 7 Columbian youth's vision of hell and heaven.

But I doubted the above with the various contradictions that persist in their encounters and knowing how human imaginations shouldn't be trusted when it is directed towards religious belief and propaganda.
Humanity cannot be used to prove divinity unless it is accompanied with a realistic evidence that is noticeable through human senses. This makes me to support the view of Mr Seun that once it is not based on evidence, it shouldn't be considered true and hence it should be discarded.

In order to provide to the world an evidence, some group of researchers (scientists) dug into the earth core and was able to provide a realistic tape of a recoded voice that seems to be the mixing of billions of human dialects waxing in deep agony. But I suggest that the voice is only likened to human superstitions and not voices but sounds of elements popping and boiling in degrees of heat that supersede that of the earth crust.

It is irrational and inane to belief in the existence of afterlife since it is an established ideology by men who got fascinated with the beauty of life and the pleasantries that it offers and as a result, wish and desire to live forever.

There is no continuation of this present life in another realm and people should stop wishing for another world when they are yet to contribute perfections to this present one.

If there is another life elsewhere, it will instead be in another planet that accomodates life where a new life will all began or the invasion of planetary bodies and not a continuation of this present one. Meaning that we are all starting over or dominating another planet entirely only with this physical body.

Am still yet to understand why Christian says that Prof Houghton's dog is not going to hell and not going to heaven. Am saying that because that dog is very wicked and deserves to go to hell. This clearly indicates that we human being have been mentally brainwashed because of our emotional functionalities. How can afterlife be for human and not for other animals neglecting the fact that we are an higher animal "at least an intelligent one" that belongs to the same mammalian family with goats, whales, bats and other animals.
They claim that goat didn't have a soul (or spirit) while human does and as a result, they are not going to experience afterlife. This explanation is annoying because both human and animals are the same while human cognitive intelligence and their emotional variations are just the difference.

The inventor of such ideology made a great mistake by not including other animals into their idea of afterlife.

Afterlife is nothing but human wish. A wish to forever live and exist. A wish that contradicts scientific view on morality and makes us to be rebellion in our relationship with life and existence.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by onetrack(m): 9:28pm On Aug 11, 2016
I am atheist, however I concede that it could be considered rational to believe in an afterlife IF it reduces your stress level and makes you feel better. However if this belief causes you to engage in behavior harmful to yourself then it is not rational.

1 Like

Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:29pm On Aug 11, 2016
We need to get this straight , there are two different notions of afterlife

i) Reincarnation
ii) The doctrine of the Abrahamic religions

So let's stop basing our arguments only on the latter notion .

1 Like

Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by mcemmy0z: 9:30pm On Aug 11, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Evidences for reincarnation are very compelling I must say .

Do you believe in such?
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:34pm On Aug 11, 2016
4kings:

Pffttt ... And why haven't you convinced the atheists with that grin

Even Andrew wommack, says he has never heard god speak directly to him, but oyedepo who had 18 hours vision with god, his wife has missed services cause of illness he couldn't heal. smh.

Job , a man close to God's heart was inflicted with all kinds of ailments while God watched closely . So what's your point ?
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by dorox(m): 9:35pm On Aug 11, 2016
If by afterlife you mean an immaterial part of us that survives our death, then my answer is a resounding no.
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:36pm On Aug 11, 2016
mcemmy0z:

Do you believe in such?

Not really . I'm still reticent about that though
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by johnydon22(m): 9:37pm On Aug 11, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
We need to get this straight there are two different notions of afterlife

i) Reincarnation
ii) The doctrine of the Abrahamic religions

So let's stop basing our arguments only on the latter notion .

wrong...

Your second notion is grossly misplaced since the abrahamic religion doctrines on 'afterlife' is but a fraction to the totality of such differing beliefs in other religions.

So bringing it under 'Abrahamic doctrine' is wrong and you need to correct yourself accordingly...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by johnydon22(m): 9:38pm On Aug 11, 2016
dorox:
If by afterlife you mean an immaterial part of us that survives our death, then my answer is a resounding no.

Your reasons brother..
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by johnydon22(m): 9:42pm On Aug 11, 2016
4kings:

If you'd listen to me, i'd suggest you focus on the topic of the thread and leave every digressing and trivial matters.
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by johnydon22(m): 9:46pm On Aug 11, 2016
HCpaul please take down the meme, lets make this as mature and as civil as possible. . . Wouldn't want it taking a very infantile lane.

1 Like

Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:48pm On Aug 11, 2016
johnydon22:

wrong...

Your second notion is grossly misplaced since the abrahamic religion doctrines on 'afterlife' is but a fraction to the totality of such differing beliefs in other religions.

So bringing it under 'Abrahamic doctrine' is wrong and you need to correct yourself accordingly...

Actually other religions' beliefs on the afterlife involve serving your punishment in a place of torment and then reincarnation takes place- they dwell on Buddhism's teachings on afterlife or they simply modify it to suit their beliefs.
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by johnydon22(m): 9:50pm On Aug 11, 2016
onetrack:
I am atheist, however I concede that it could be considered rational to believe in an afterlife IF it reduces your stress level and makes you feel better. However if this belief causes you to engage in behavior harmful to yourself then it is not rational.

Ok you are basically saying: if it makes you feel all warm and cozy and provides a means for you to escape the cold dread of death [if you see death like so] then it is rational to concieve such thoughts for comfort?

I think the topic is based on if such ideas are objectively true [but since it is unprovable and uncertain therefore within the confines of belief] is it rational to hold such belief?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by 4kings: 9:52pm On Aug 11, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Pffttt ... And why haven't you convinced the atheists with that grin
What more do u expect me to say, I laid my OPINION once in a thread, dalaman said that he is not sure of god existence(agnostic), in another Hahn didn't agree, but required evidence.
Like I said this is my OPINION I don't impose it on anyone, like the theist, so back off!!!!

KingEbukasBlog:

Job , a man close to God's heart was inflicted with all kinds of ailments while God watched closely . So what's your point ?
Seriously, this is ur explanation. grin
The bible said if u have faith as little as a mustard seed, u can move mountain, how much more a man that had a full 18 hours chat with God.

Besides Yahweh allowed for that to happen in order to prove a point to Satan. But i thought the new testament said we now have more power than Satan through the blood of Christ. undecided.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by Kay17: 9:53pm On Aug 11, 2016
A proof of the afterlife must be metaphysical proof. It is like introducing a super reality into the ordinary reality. Like pouring the contents of a tank into a bucket. It is short of impossibility.
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by johnydon22(m): 9:54pm On Aug 11, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Actually other religions' beliefs on the afterlife involve serving your punishment in a place of torment and then reincarnation takes place- they dwell on Buddhism's teachings on afterlife or they simply modify it to suit their beliefs.

Nope this is wrong again - there are several thousands of other beliefs with different concepts of afterlife, very many of them much older than both buddhism and abrahamism.

First of this is Ancient Egyptian beliefs, Even African traditional beliefs also vikings [Norse] to mention but a few.

So it is neither an abrahamic or buddhism thing, therefore wrong to label it as such. . . You can correct yourself

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by Kay17: 9:59pm On Aug 11, 2016
johnydon22:

Nope this is wrong again - there are several thousands of other beliefs with different concepts of afterlife, very many of them much older than both buddhism and abrahamism.

First of this is Ancient Egyptian beliefs, Even African traditional beliefs also vikings [Norse] to mention but a few.

So it is neither an abrahamic or buddhism thing, therefore wrong to label it as such. . . You can correct yourself

You are correct about that.
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by Nobody: 10:06pm On Aug 11, 2016
it is not irrational because every living thing has a thought,and a thought to my understanding is a form of energy that can be transferred from one person to another so the afterlife we are gonna live means------been remembered as thoughts in bits among the thoughts of people we love or hate or people who never knew us, ---------- thomas paine lives forever in my head so my head is like an heaven for him,
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:07pm On Aug 11, 2016
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:07pm On Aug 11, 2016
Kay17:
A proof of the afterlife must be metaphysical proof. It is like introducing a super reality into the ordinary reality. Like pouring the contents of a tank into a bucket. It is short of impossibility.

Are you a Scientologist ? There is a similarity with the emboldened - the Scientologist is able to control some elements like thought, matter , energy, time , space etc after his "thetan" -soul - travels through different lifetimes
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:20pm On Aug 11, 2016
4kings:

What more do u expect me to say, I laid my OPINION once in a thread, dalaman said that he is not sure of god existence(agnostic), in another Hahn didn't agree, but required evidence.
Like I said this is my OPINION I don't impose it on anyone, like the theist, so back off!!!!

We all the religion that imposes its belief on someone . Anyway , you would have clearly stated that it was your opinion not bloviating about it

Seriously, this is ur explanation. grin
The bible said if u have faith as little as a mustard seed, u can move mountain, how much more a man that had a full 18 hours chat with God.

Besides Yahweh allowed for that to happen in order to prove a point to Satan. But i thought the new testament said we now have more power than Satan through the blood of Christ. undecided.

Dude , do you know why she had that sickness for a long time ? I hope you won't experience same . And don't be too certain of the existence your non-interventionist god .
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:25pm On Aug 11, 2016
stephenmorris:
it is not irrational because every living thing has a thought,and a thought to my understanding is a form of energy that can be transferred from one person to another so the afterlife we are gonna live means------been remembered as thoughts in bits among the thoughts of people we love or hate or people who never knew us, ---------- thomas paine lives forever in my head so my head is like an heaven for him,

How is a thought a form of energy And what form of energy is it undecided
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by johnydon22(m): 10:36pm On Aug 11, 2016
Kay17:

Metaphysics is to Physics what astrology is to astronomy. . .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by Nobody: 10:38pm On Aug 11, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

How is a thought a form of energy And what form of energy is it undecided
energy is the strength and vitality required for sustained physical activity nad infact life
without you thinking ,you are useless likewise me ,so thought is an energy or rather particles without weight within us that causes humans to move,to do things its like a gasoline or fossil fuel used in powering a generator in other for the genrator to work and in my understanding that generator is human being

1 Like

Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:39pm On Aug 11, 2016
johnydon22:

But the point is that reincarnation is indeed a notion of afterlife so we should also discuss about it . Thanks for the correction too . I forgot about those primitive religions
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:44pm On Aug 11, 2016
stephenmorris:
energy is the strength and vitality required for sustained physical activity nad infact life
without you thinking ,you are useless likewise me ,so thought is an energy or rather particles without weight within us that causes humans to move,to do things its like a gasoline or fossil fuel used in powering a generator in other for the genrator to work and in my understanding that generator is human being

I understand your concept of afterlife where the person continues his existence after death as part of the thoughts of people . But no , thoughts are no form of energy - that's not science .
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by johnydon22(m): 10:44pm On Aug 11, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

But the point is that reincarnation is indeed a notion of afterlife so we should also discuss about it.
Thanks for the correction too . I forgot about those primitive religions

Of course when one says "Afterlife" it encompasses every idea of afterlife, so those who find it rational to believe in the afterlife concept of reincarnation can also tender their points.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by Nobody: 10:58pm On Aug 11, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I understand your concept of afterlife where the person continues his existence after death as part of the thoughts of people . But no , thoughts are no form of energy - that's not science .
okay if thoughts are not energy then they are energy causing particles like fuel which causes genertors to produce electrical energy for the benefit of mankind likewise without you thinking you won't be writing what you are writing so u need to think likewise me
Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by Nobody: 11:03pm On Aug 11, 2016
I don't know of I'd be useful here. My perspectives are all changed nd I don't trust almost everything I know or think anymore.

1 Like

Re: Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] by johnydon22(m): 11:07pm On Aug 11, 2016
Reyginus:
I don't know of I'd be useful here. My perspectives are all change and I don't trust almost everything anymore.

Just blare your mind - the ground is open to all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To Our Blessed Virgin Mary- Feast Of Immaculate Conception / Pics:archaeologists Discover The City Of Sodom & Gomorrah Matching Old Testament / Mark Zuckerberg Was NEVER An Atheist In The First Place .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.