Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,454 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? (7475 Views)

What It Is Like Coming From A Poor Background, And The Way To Succeed In Life. / Should A Very Poor Guy Go And Marry? / Is It Possible To Get Pregnant Two Days Before The Period? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by sammyjl(f): 2:14pm On Dec 20, 2006
Anything is possible cry
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by thimbook2(m): 9:20pm On Dec 21, 2006
poor guy + girl <probably talented, smart, earns good, nice pedigree>= marriage? I DONT THINK SO

wake up and smell the beancake, farm boys cheesy shocked, whats potential, potential in 9ija = dough, cheese, kudi, scrrilla, in other words money,

sorry, i didnt make the rules but look around you and see how clingy lottsa gyrls get when the sneak peeps at ur bank books, if u're in blue, they're happy, if its the color of blackgold they love u, if its red? ha!, u on in da jungle playing Survivors with the crocs and all,

its da economy man and the moral fabric of the society that's gone 2 shreds, look around you, man and put your heart on the shelf b4 u step out on that next date with that dame,

as for da ladiees, sorry but no apologies, cool.just da fact, not too many fools around who still marry 4 "just love"; what's love by da way, whaddaya call it
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by rezzy: 8:22am On Dec 29, 2006
Its is very possible provided the guy has means of livelihood .though i see a poor man as one who doesnt have ideas and not material things
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by sexychica: 11:40pm On May 13, 2007
the term poor is a relative term,what one might consider as rich might be 'poor' to another,if getting married to a poor guy means not being able to give our offspring the quality of education and a relatively comfortable life,then getting married to a poor guy is a definite no no for me, come on havent y'all heard of the cliche' THERES NO ROMANCE WITHOUT FINANCE'? BOTTOM LINE:it would amt to cruelty to ur offspring to marry a man that wont be able to give u d quality of life u probably r used to! CANT MARRY A POOR MAN,ID RATHER BE LABELLED A GOLD DIGGER grin coolTHAN MARRYING A POOR MAN,NUFF SAID!
cool
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by bebe2007(m): 5:00pm On May 14, 2007
Why is everyone talking about the Lady? Guys can you marry a poor lady? i need to know. There has been a lot of scheming going on by guys these days when they want to pick a wife/gal friend its always the ones that are not liabilities the financially stable ones (very common with youruba guys)some of them are not embarrased to collect money from their women. What do you call that? Diamond DIGGING NOT gold DIGGING ABI! It goes to show that nobody wants a poor person (babe/guy). So stop accusing us guys!!!
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by iyken(m): 5:10pm On May 15, 2007
, hmmm look at their faces. cheesy" why wont you marry " a poor guy" ladies.Have you not heard the saying No condition is permanent.Give love a chance jooooo grin
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by laudate: 5:34pm On May 18, 2007
There is nothing wrong with getting married to a poor guy, provided he has a lot of potentials, is hard-working, sincere, understanding, respectful & not a layabout. A man who is poor today, can become rich tomorrow. God has a particular destiny for each individual.

The problem is that many poor men who swear undying love to a babe when they are broke, have a tendency of changing their minds, once they become rich.   tongue That is when they know that a babe who was with them when things were rough, has suddenly grown 'old,' or is no longer good enough for them, now that they have some quid in their pocket. Why? They have suddenly discovered that their newly-acquired riches, gives them more options. And they wish to explore those options to the full. That is often where the problem begins.  angry

A lot of babes now know that guys are prone to change their minds once they hit the big bucks, so many of them are scared of hanging around a poor guy, who would most likely change his mind about them once riches come into play. So some of these girls have opted to go with a guy who has a steady, legit source of income, so that they can at least deduce what kind of character he is, or what antics he has up his sleeves, instead of hanging with a poor guy who will promise them heaven & earth when he is broke, only to change his mind when he becomes rich. undecided Please note: am not saying a rich guy can't change his mind, about a babe.

Money is the true test of a man's character. It is when a guy has money in his pocket, that his innate character begins to unfold. The way a guy handles money, says a lot about the kind of person he is.

But having said all that, riches are inanimate stuff & money has wings, according to the Scriptures. If as a woman, you marry a man who has money today, what happens if he loses his wealth tomorrow? Would you divorce him? Isn't it better to build up your own wealth or resources, so that you have something to fall back on, rather than waiting for a man to provide everything for you?
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by Gamine(f): 5:49pm On May 18, 2007
Why giv urself trouble,
love is not blind oooo!
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by Shuashi(f): 3:45am On May 19, 2007
Yeah its possible 2 marry a 'poor' guy but ladiess if d guy isnt amibitious or mayb does nt av a gud plan 4 his futher then u beta run cos sum guys r jst 2 lazy nd met 2 b poor all their lives, PERIOD!
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by GNature(m): 10:53am On May 19, 2007

Why is everyone talking about the Lady? Guys can you marry a poor lady? i need to know.

It's not uncommon to find Rich/fairly well to do men marrying poor women. Some feel they would be more humbling as wives. The same cannot be said for women because women by nature want to be secure (atleast more so compared to men).

Many rich women would not want to marry a poor man because they know for a fact that they'll have a hard time giving him the respect due him as a man - "how can I see this guy as the head of the household when I am making much more money than he is " this is their line of thinking.

It goes to show that nobody wants a poor person (babe/guy). So stop accusing us guys!!!

I think this is a fair statement. But well to do men can be seen marrying poor women than the other way around.

laudate:

The problem is that many poor men who swear undying love to a babe when they are broke, have a tendency of changing their minds, once they become rich.   tongue That is when they know that a babe who was with them when things were rough, has suddenly grown 'old,' or is no longer good enough for them, now that they have some quid in their pocket. Why? They have suddenly discovered that their newly-acquired riches, gives them more options. And they wish to explore those options to the full. That is often where the problem begins.  angry

This is very true laudate. Good insight.
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by dinnerm(f): 12:34pm On May 19, 2007
i can marry a poor guy as long as i love him and he's the right guy.
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by GLORY20071(f): 5:35pm On May 20, 2007
i believe poverty is a state of the mind
i cannot marry anyone with a poverty mentality because we will not be able to walk together.
men are in sizes as life is in phases.
though your beginning is small your end shall be greatly increased.
that is what i believe.
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by iyken(m): 1:22pm On May 21, 2007
GLORY 2007:

i believe poverty is a state of the mind
i cannot marry anyone with a poverty mentality because we will not be able to walk together.
men are in sizes as life is in phases.
though your beginning is small your end shall be greatly increased.
that is what i believe.

this is not poetry. This thread is talking 'bout marrying a hungry man. Whats ur answer gal.
Forget this ur mental poverty abi na Poverty mental u call am. grin
grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by macgozy(m): 7:21pm On May 21, 2007
Nobody is poor in life unless he/she decides to be poor. What happened to your head, hands, feet, eyes and ears they are meant to gather information, breed potentials, harness those potentials and turn them into something meaningful and there and then things begins to work out for that individual. U are poor because you're okay with the situation but if it happens the other way round,

Marry becos U believe and have strong faith in the guy knowing that he is such a hardworking, God fearing and devoted man whose priority is to see U happy. And riches can go to hell as far as I am concern
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by dups10(f): 11:34am On Dec 13, 2007
like me i do not see anything bad on marry poor guy, so far he love me and have God fearing. I believe that in future something can change to good.
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by biolabee(m): 12:04pm On Dec 13, 2007
i think the post shd define what he means by poor
what i do know is that ladies would not typically consider a struggling young man when there are men who have houses in vgc, lekki, have three posh cars and just want to women to give them a legacy. other alternatives are the europeans who are based here in naija
unfortunately these options are few and far between
also the women are also becoming quite empowered in the workplace thus you see disparities in the level of women and potential mates,
i think this is a personal decision considering the woman herself. some marry the 'rich' guy now who ends up being broke, some the poor guy who ends up being very rich and some the poor guy who still stays poor.

everywoman has a chance at some point in her life i think she just needs the grace of God to know grin
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by janami(f): 7:51am On Dec 14, 2007
ALL DEPENDS ON UR DEFINITION OF POOR.

TO ME A POOR GUY IS AN NFA. NO FUTURE AMBITION, DOES NOT HAVE THE DESIRE TO MOVE TO A BETTER LEVEL. NO VISION AND DETERMINATION.
SO, NO, I CAN NEVER MARRY A POOR MAN.

A MAN MIGHT NOT VE ANYTHING NOW, BUT WITH A GOOD VISION AND PERSISTENCE THRU GOD'S GRACE, HE CAN BE SMTG IN THE NEAREST FUTURE. THAT KIND OF MAN, I CAN MARRY wink
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by otokx(m): 9:34pm On Dec 15, 2007
With God all things are possible
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by Gamine(f): 2:57am On Dec 16, 2007
i will marry a poor man when pigs start flying!

This question begs the answer,
yes it is possible if im a vegetable! cheesy
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by ifyalways(f): 9:49pm On Dec 16, 2007
poor as in poor in foresight,wisdom,vision,future,goals infact a liability wink no way ooh i wont be caught in the trap. cool
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by latent(m): 8:22am On Dec 17, 2007
@jah God go bless u if true true you be female. You go marry better man wey hollo and go still love you on top. All this clowns posting that they will marry poor people are not real. Maybe they dont have oportuinity to date rich people. Poverty is a sin and must not be accepted in any form thats why nations strive to eliminate it so that everyone will be okay. You think if all this clowns have not looted naija people go dey suffer like this. Also been poor is a relative term, (how poor is the issue) Y all that post from locations in usa and germany can marry poor people over there because what you call poor over there is better than comfortable over here. a young banker who earns lets say N80,000 per month is poor because he can only afford the basics. he cannt even take his girlfriend out to a nice restaurant talk less of taking her to a nice boutique. To a lot of nigerians this banker in question is okay. Do you want to tell me that you will marry a man who cannot feed you, is living with his mother (not my sisters, it will never be our portion). You must be a sex addict who is hooked to his big pri**k or you are mentally retarded and needs psychiatric help to claim to marry the poor. What we confess comes to us thats why there is so much power in the word we issue out. this is why every morning i tell myself i am rich, i am healthy, and i will marry the most beautiful faithful woman on earth and till date i am on track. Dont get me wrong A man that does not have cash is not really poor if he has prospects. Is that the kind of poor u talking about. if it is then you are with a rich man because Poverty is a hopeless state of mind. Infact i dont even want to type it. I dont need to be reading the letters p o o r cos i aint got business with this word.
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by cita(f): 9:35pm On Dec 18, 2007
That a man does not have money now,does not make him a poor man.
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by dot2002(m): 10:36pm On Dec 18, 2007
I married one fortunately when i had a choice(younger age) and its been fantastic now
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by holythug(m): 7:31am On Dec 22, 2007
O boy get dis straight dis na naija
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by JoyceAgim(f): 3:49am On May 25, 2008
cita:

That a man does not have money now,does not make him a poor man.

Very true.
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by liquid7: 4:27am On May 25, 2008
money is relative.
some are happy with a guy who can put food on the table ,some want men who can buy them a car and some want men that own half the town.
But reality is also this.Go make your own money then look for money to marry.
This is why lots of men in nigeria cheat on their women.Trust me i seen and know what men talk about before the marriage and ladies trust me you will not like to know .
You hear things like "after i don spend on this girl make she try misbehave " or "i don buy am now make e sit for house breastfeed the pikin while i find younger stuff play with".
Men are not stupid too they know when you are after money or marrying into security and then you become property whether you want to believe it or not because they know you have a slim chance of ever walking away from the security.
It is possible but with Nigerians love for money a poor man will most likely marry a poorer woman.
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by Spermdrops(m): 12:21am On May 26, 2008
Yes!  I did and no regrets. I was also poor.

His heart is goooooooooooooooooooood! We built together! cool Not rich, not poor.  Just plain silly and happy! Having a dannnnn good time ALWAYS!!! kiss Money can't buy those feelings of satisfaction.

Not the materialistic kind anyway. undecided
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by Gamine(f): 3:52pm On May 26, 2008
When it is possible to marry a Fish, it will be possible to marry a Poor guy.

Im not poor, so the poor should marry themselves
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by DrKitaun(m): 1:21am On May 27, 2008
Gamine:

When it is possible to marry a Fish, it will be possible to marry a Poor guy.

I'm not poor, so the poor should marry themselves

crap ! absolute crap tongue cool
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by missphil(f): 7:21pm On May 27, 2008
I think the "politically correct" answer is probably "YES" smiley 

The reality is, as some previous posters have said, it depends on your definition of "poor".  If it means someone with no ambition, drive or sustainable dreams, then for me, it will probably mean NO.  I am all for supporting someone with ambition etc, but that will not pay the mortgage, school fees or utilities!  It also depends on the woman's socio-economic class and what she is used to (either because she comes from a wealthy family, or has a high standard of living) when she meets the guy.  This topic is close to my heart because I used to be the kind of woman who said it didn't matter what the guy earns.  But previous relationship experience made me wake up and understand that it DOES, and also that love is NOT everything.  Having worked, earned my own money and being able to afford a good standard of living for myself (before marriage), once I am married, I want to stay at home and raise my children for a few years after they are born.  I can't do that if my husband is not earning enough to sustain that way/standard of life.  Clearly, however (with reference to 'spermdrops' post), there are several other factors which make for a healthy and happy marriage. smiley

In addition, I think it has to do with gender/genetics/culture/society - house husbands is a new concept but growing in countries like the UK and USA cheesy

It is probably less of an issue in the reverse (man marrying poor lady)  undecided
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by Nobody: 12:03am On May 28, 2008
Even if it's possible for him to get a job after we get married, I'd still say no tongue
Re: Is It Possible To Marry A Poor Guy? by osegha1: 1:31pm On Jun 04, 2008
wat of the guy later money in future and start dating other girls

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Four Year Old Boy Tries To Molest Sister And Mum! / Kano Pays ₦10.000 Dowry Each For 100 Brides At Mass Wedding / Should I Force My Wife Or Commit Adultery?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.