Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,200 members, 7,815,187 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US (27183 Views)

EFCC: We Stopped Sunday Karim From Traveling Abroad Over Arms Scandal / Nobody Stopped Me From Travelling Abroad - Gov Bello / You Can’t Stop Me From Travelling Abroad - Fayose Dares Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by Keenlooka(m): 8:48am On Aug 12, 2016
Changing from KAKI to AGBADA does not guarantee democracy, The Nigerian reality grin

1 Like

Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by kutchs: 8:49am On Aug 12, 2016
Nusaf:

In addition to the Civil Service Regulations, take a look at the first page of his passport "These are to request and require in the name of the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance and to afford him or her every assistance and protection of which he or she may stand in need". This is to suggest to u that while travelling within can be allowed without informing anyone, same cannot be said of travelling out of the country. He needs the passport for the visa and this is to let u know that the country he is travelling to needs the consent of his country.
Can you beat your chest and say Mr Karim was stopped on account of not meeting the requirements contained therein in the Passport?
Mr Karim has been moving in and out of the country before now, he knows what he ought to do before traveling out of the country. His restriction has nothing to do with civil service rules or any other but pure politics
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by TheAlchemist: 8:49am On Aug 12, 2016
madridguy:
Always running to the US/UK for no reason.

The only acceptable reason is if he is going for ear check up.
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by DrSanya: 8:50am On Aug 12, 2016
Even when the federal government stops Bello Yahyah of Kogi state abi...kwantinui
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by Nusaf: 8:56am On Aug 12, 2016
kutchs:

Can you beat your chest and say Mr Karim was stopped on account of not meeting the requirements contained therein in the Passport?
Mr Karim has been moving in and out of the country before now, he knows what he ought to do before traveling out of the country. His restriction has nothing to do with civil service rules or any other but pure politics
U got it twisted. There was a little digression in which case I had to make it clear to someone, why the country needs an explanation from him as regards his movement. It is not the main argument, rather, a digressed one, so chill.
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by neocortex: 8:56am On Aug 12, 2016
Nusaf:

For u to travel out of the country, at least u need a visa and where is this visa placed? On the passport. Now look at the first page of his passport "These are to request and require in the name of the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance and to afford him or her every assistance and protection of which he or she may stand in need"

I am sure you have never travelled out of the country.

"These are" means these passport are ; it is the passport that made the request
in the name of the president, not the individual.

You don't need the president personal approval to travel, your passport is the
approval you need.

Why do you think the court sometimes seize an accused passport ?

It is your fundamental right to travel without the president's knowledge.

You are free to travel unless you have been barred by a court from doing so.
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by neocortex: 8:59am On Aug 12, 2016
nrexzy:

He isn't just an ordinary citizen like u and I, he is a Lawmaker so he fuckn owes us an explanation for every movement he makes...

He doesn't owe you any explanation, because 1. he represents kogi state not you,
even if you are from kogi state he isn't your slave that needs your permission to travel.

2. It is none of my boss business whether I decides to travel or not when I am on break
or holiday.

Do you get it now ?
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by lexyclasy: 9:01am On Aug 12, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:
wetin you wan go do der sef?
can a soldier or civil servant commot for duty post without informing his employer, abeg go tell your constituents where you wan waka go.
I think we should make a law that requires every political office holder to inform their respective constituents whenever they are leaving the shores of this nation for any reason.
I pray one day you have a cause to represent your people in any public position ....so that you egg head can gather all your people in market square and inform them when you will be traveling out to meet your personal responsibilities......all these foolz....one is no more at liberty to travel because he belongs to the opposition......the question is did he commit any offense...that warrant this barbaric act in a democratic regime
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by Nobody: 9:03am On Aug 12, 2016
TheFreeOne:
Daura Secret Service at work.

Seriously, what's their rationale for stopping him from traveling

Honestly can't imagine. He isn't going to run away from a plum job.

Unless....

He is a bagman.

These are the guys who front international bank accounts that need physical attendance.

Who knows? Sometimes its just an overzealous EFCC officer. But if he has been mentioned in the padding exercise and they haven't gotten round to asking him to come in, they will stop him.
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by Nusaf: 9:04am On Aug 12, 2016
neocortex:

approval you need.

LOL at the bolded. For the passport, it was produced in the name of the President and the fact that relevant authorities are not taking that aspect of their Job seriously shouldn't be a reason to misinterprete issues.
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by neocortex: 9:21am On Aug 12, 2016
Nusaf:

LOL at the bolded. For the passport, it was produced in the name of the President and the fact that relevant authorities are not taking that aspect of their Job seriously shouldn't be a reason to misinterprete issues.

There is nothing for the agencies to do here , you are free to travel unless you have
been barred, that is what is obtained in all civilised countries, please enlighten
if there is any provision of our constitution that runs contrary to this.

If Sen. Karim was barred from traveling, he would not have booked his flight ticket
in the first place.

Imagine the level of chaos if thousands of Nigerians that travel overseas every month
have to apply for permission from DSS and EFCC before they can embark on their journey.

That will mean that the Nigerian passport is useless since its functions won't be any
different from that of Driving license or INEC card.

The passport has only one major function , that is to enable Nigerians to travel, if you
remove that function, it is no longer different from every other I.D cards.

Since you have travelled before as you stated, which agency cleared you for the travelling ?

1 Like

Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by sleeveless: 9:21am On Aug 12, 2016
madridguy:
What happened to Abubakar Sadiq ? So because his an APC staunch member automatically grant him immunity to do anyhow and go free? Let the honorable explain his mission of traveling to the US. Ask yourself, how many times did any US congressmen visit Nigeria?

Who stops the president when he is travelling, or are u not aware that the house is on recess. Don't forget that the executive is not higher than the legislator in this type of our democracy. The problem is dat the executive always see themselves as saint and tend to abuse their powers

1 Like

Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by OlujobaSamuel: 9:25am On Aug 12, 2016
lexyclasy:
I pray one day you have a cause to represent your people in any public position ....so that you egg head can gather all your people in market square and inform them when you will be traveling out to meet your personal responsibilities......all these foolz....one is no more at liberty to travel because he belongs to the opposition......the question is did he commit any offense...that warrant this barbaric act in a democratic regime
when I rep my people, I won't have to junket from one country to another, I won't be trapped in trying to redefine corrupt act.
if you are sane enough, you should know he can address his constituents without gathering them in a market square, he is here addressing Nigerians because he is having issues, why not address them before he had issues.
I'm not his advocate, he should talk to his counsel, you can also go to dss office to seek for reasons of arrest.
so many ediots online.
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by Nusaf: 9:27am On Aug 12, 2016
neocortex:

There is nothing for the agencies to do here , you are free to travel unless you have
been barred, that is what is obtained in all civilised countries, please enlighten
if there is any provision of our constitution that runs contrary to this.

If Sen. Karim was barred from traveling, he would not have booked his flight ticket
in the first place.

Imagine the level of chaos if thousands of Nigerians that travel overseas every month
have to apply for permission from DSS and EFCC before they can embark on their journey.

That will mean that the Nigerian passport is useless since its functions won't be any
different from that of Driving license or INEC card.

The passport has only one major function , that is to enable Nigerians to travel, if you
remove that function, it is no longer different from every other I.D cards.

Since you have travelled before as you stated, which agency cleared you for the travelling ?

Have u ever heard of 'security clearance'? It will interest u to know that the agencies that issue it do that on behalf of the President
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by kutchs: 9:28am On Aug 12, 2016
Nusaf:

U got it twisted. There was a little digression in which case I had to make it clear to someone, why the country needs an explanation from him as regards his movement. It is not the main argument, rather, a digressed one, so chill.
And since when did they start the DSS to get civil/public servants to declare why they are traveling? Really when did it become the job of the DSS? What provision of the Act establishing DSS empowers her to force people to declare the reason why they have to travel?
Listen bro, we aren't all dumb here you know. I'm a civil servant myself, in the few times I have had cause to travel out of the country I never needed permission from the DSS but from my employers. The point I'm making is that Mr Karim wasn't stopped on account of the issues you listed variously but to politics, its even stated clearly in the report you and me read.

Not minding who's involved, we must all rise against the DSS and this descent to impunity and harassment of Nigerians. The DSS has assumed too much powers it isn't entitled to.
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by neocortex: 9:32am On Aug 12, 2016
Nusaf:

Have u ever heard of 'security clearance'? Its will interest u to know that the agencies that issues it does that on behalf of the President

Please answer the last question on my previous post.

Security clearance has wide range of uses, can you be
more specific as it relates to traveling of a Nigerian ?
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by Nusaf: 9:37am On Aug 12, 2016
kutchs:

And since when did they start the DSS to get civil/public servants to declare why they are traveling? Really when did it become the job of the DSS? What provision of the Act establishing DSS empowers her to force people to declare the reason why they have to travel?
Listen bro, we aren't all dumb here you know. I'm a civil servant myself, in the few times I have had cause to travel out of the country I never needed permission from the DSS but from my employers. The point I'm making is that Mr Karim wasn't stopped on account of the issues you listed variously but to politics, its even stated clearly in the report you and me read.

Not minding who's involved, we must all rise against the DSS and this descent to impunity and harassment of Nigerians. The DSS has assumed too much powers it isn't entitled to.
OMG. are u ok? Did I tell u he was stopped on account of non fulfilment of travelling requirements? Did u read my explanation? Again, for the last time, I said it is a digressed argument and if u don't understand what that means, is okay, bye.
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by Nusaf: 9:46am On Aug 12, 2016
neocortex:

U said many things on ur post and I don't know which of them u are referring to but u may specific as well. Now, security clearance. But I thought u started with a doubt on if I have ever travelled out of Nigeria or not implying that u must have travelled and as such, u have a first hand experience. Okay, if u go to embassies for the processing of visa, security clearance is one of the documents required. It must come from ur organisation which itself must be recognised by the Federal government.
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by Temple1288(m): 9:50am On Aug 12, 2016
Titilayodeji13:

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/208477-breaking-sss-blocks-lawmaker-from-travelling-confiscates-his-passport.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

Oh! Now you know?! Get out joor.... When a dictator is in power what do you expect?! One day every person will start saying the same thing.. When Nnamdi Kanu was arrested, people said '['kudos']'. Including House of Reps members, every soon this virus will circulate round. This is just the beginning. Una never see something! DSS, hmmm.
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by Mcowubaba: 10:03am On Aug 12, 2016
madridguy:
Era of impunity is over. They will steal in Nigeria and take the money to US/UK to spend must be stopped. Spend it here to develop our economy.

[b][AMEN/b]
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by Nusaf: 10:15am On Aug 12, 2016
neocortex:

Oh! I have seen the question u refered to. U want to know the agency that cleared me? Certainly, u should know I cannot discuss to that extent on a faceless forum. And why is it taking u so long to respond. Pls I'm waiting.
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by dumodust(m): 11:14am On Aug 12, 2016
kutchs:

The Civil Service Regulations you talk about doesn't forbid anyone from traveling so as the person gets a permit in form of duely approved release. A civil servant can seek for Leave of Absence from work for a few days to attend to issues. Do you have any evidence that he doesn't have permission and clearance to travel?
Except your own copy of the regulations is different from ours, then we may not know.

Supporting your argument further, i may decide not to report to work on monday, it's free will, i may board a plane to monrovia instead and damn all consequences... as a civil servant, I know I may not have a job when i return after an enquiry. Besides that, this person is a representative, a legislator only answerable to his people not the president. He is not exactly a civil servant in the strict sense and besides civil servants are not slaves, they can walk out of the job anytime they want. This is how this govt will gradually erode our freedoms, if there is no lawsuit or court order restricting his travel, he should sue.
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by dumodust(m): 11:20am On Aug 12, 2016
neocortex:

approval you need.

My point exactly... apt
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by vedaxcool(m): 11:26am On Aug 12, 2016
neocortex:

[s]I don't understand why you guys lump totally unrelated issues together all in an
attempt to support illegality then turn around to accuse your opponents of being
unreasonable and irrational if they apply same tactics.

The issue is that he was prevented from traveling not jumbo salaries
after all it isn't a crime to collect salaries because if it is Buhari would
not approve such[/s].

Quasi-intelligent statement bore me!
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by Apelex(m): 11:27am On Aug 12, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:
wetin you wan go do der sef?
can a soldier or civil servant commot for duty post without informing his employer, abeg go tell your constituents where you wan waka go.
I think we should make a law that requires every political office holder to inform their respective constituents whenever they are leaving the shores of this nation for any reason.

You don't know what your saying.....what if he's traveling for something personal...stop saying rubbish

If you were a lawmaker,wud you like such.. This is a democratic system of govt....why wud they sieze his passport....no rule of law.....
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by nrexzy: 11:43am On Aug 12, 2016
neocortex:

He doesn't owe you any explanation, because 1. he represents kogi state not you,
even if you are from kogi state he isn't your slave that needs your permission to travel.

2. It is none of my boss business whether I decides to travel or not when I am on break
or holiday.

Do you get it now ?
so ur point?
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by GOFRONT(m): 11:43am On Aug 12, 2016
They are d cause of hunger in da land
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by neocortex: 11:44am On Aug 12, 2016
vedaxcool:

Quasi-intelligent statement bore me!

Says the unprincipled sycophant.
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by neocortex: 11:47am On Aug 12, 2016
Nusaf:

U said many things on ur post and I don't know which of them u are referring to but u may specific as well. Now, security clearance. But I thought u started with a doubt on if I have ever travelled out of Nigeria or not implying that u must have travelled and as such, u have a first hand experience. Okay, if u go to embassies for the processing of visa, security clearance is one of the documents required. It must come from ur organisation which itself must be recognised by the Federal government.

Are you saying that the U.S embassy gave the senator a visa
without the security clearance ?
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by shuggah(m): 12:15pm On Aug 12, 2016
emmak2k4:

Clap for yourself, didn't know people travel to the US for the weekends.

MODIFY: sometimes I marvel at people's comments here on NL, I can't help but ask if we most times read, analyze and subject this write-ups to analytical seasonings before some of us write our comments.

so it's nw government concern on people's travel schedules, buharis regime is really taking a toll on poor Nigerians like u, my sister who is married goes to Dubai nd d UK once a month depending on where she wants to go, tomorrow if she becomes a senator, u'd expect her to stop travelling or tell her that it's govt fund.
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by shuggah(m): 12:19pm On Aug 12, 2016
Ziggyblaze:
Mr man shut up and don't say wat u don't know abt civil service, as a civil servant even when u r taking ur one mnt leave and u r traveling out of that state, u r supposed to indicate in ur letter coz u can be called to duty at any time or if u have an accident during that period u travel, u r on ur own
Mr woman open ur mouth, since when did civil service become secret cults that monitor people's movement, ogbeni I tell u everything from experience, anything u do that's nt between 8am-4pm on a weekday is nt govts business if u re a civil servant besides when did government start regulating people's travel whether they are reps or not.
Re: SSS Seizes Sunday Karim Passport, Blocks Him From Travelling To US by olisaEze(m): 12:25pm On Aug 12, 2016
gboss4sure:

Does he owe you an explanation for travelling?

Bro ah tire 4 some Nigerians sef!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jonathan, Gowon, Shonekan, Oritsejafor Singing At Presidential Breakfast Prayer / Professor Olayinka Is New VC Of University Of Ibadan / Please Can U Google On Your Phone " A Minute Silence At AU Summit ". What You Wi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.