Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 - Travel (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 (670939 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by ddbluv: 4:15am On Aug 28, 2016
chiMoni37:
Can one with a GPA of 3.2 from a Nigerian University apply for graduate school in any us University ?

Yes you can. Some even get GA/TA with that CGP,, It depend on what the school, Prayer and your head

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by ddbluv: 5:21am On Aug 28, 2016
Economic Hardship Procedure
1. Discuss with your International ADMISSION OFFICE and explain to them why you need it. Most do not know about this application, inform them that you need it to get working hours during summer or during school if you aren't working upto 20hrs. Your school need to draft a strong letter for you and you need to be in good academic standing. preferrably above 3.2
2. Download form
g-1145 - Fill the basics
I-765EH - Tick 'permission to accept employment'
Use your International office of your school address preferably for mailing
No. 16. fill (c) (3) (iii)
Leave 17 & 18
NB: It cost about $300 plus to file for this thing, but if you fill this form, they will waive it (You want to file for eco hardship and they still want you to pay for it 'Awon wehrey')
I-912 - Fill section 1,3,5,6
"I commenced my academic studies at XX university and made adequate financial preparation based on the tuition and fees advised by the school admission department for the 2016/17 academic session. However, I am experiencing a financial shortfall for tuition payment due to the decline in USD exchange rate in my home country as a result of the global oil price decline which my country is totally dependent for foreign exchange. My home country government placed a halt on the sale of US dollar for international tuition payment (you can use the recent ban placed on banks for forex transaction 'NOTE - You will probably be applying by Feb/Mar 2017'). The alternative source [parallel market] currently sell at ~ N450 / $1 (That is if e never pass N500 by then) compared to my initial budget at N250 / $1 when I commenced the program last fall August 2015 and has been difficult to purchase. This policy has caused a shortfall $4,444 (based on your own calculation) for my tuition and living expenses for the spring semester and possibly shortfall for 2017 fall semester.

SAMPLE
Tuition [Old Rate] N2,500,000 @ N250 $10,000
Available N2,500,000 @ N450 $ 5,555
Shortfall ($ 4,444)

Furthermore, I have not been able to secure an on-campus job this current term (or I have not been able to secure sufficient working hours < 20hrs ) and would like to seek authorization to work off-campus which will enable me cover the shortfall to a reasonable extent."

OR

If you have a family member (or sponsor)who has lost Job, use the resignation or sack letter. Or even anyone sef.. The person shud scan like last 3mths bank statement

Fill line 16. make sure you divide the semester school fees into 6 (Monthly fee) and fill the rest.

The catch is not to sound like a broke dude but someone who is trying but something beyond your control hit you.

Submit your school transcript, you may or may not submit your own bank statement too.

Write your letter, almost same like above but explain your circumstance better

Your school too should write letter for you stating why they believe you should file for it, stating Nigeria economic and political woes. You can site . They should also state why on-campus job is insufficient for you (e.g. shops are closed in summer / winter OR insufficient opening on-campus). They should also state you are in good academic standing and can combine work with studies if approved.

Prepare ahead so you won't dull come holiday period. However, if your in Houston. You don't need this. Opportunities abound there without any work permit

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:32am On Aug 28, 2016
ddbluv:
Economic Hardship Procedure

This very necessary info given the exchange rate which is even still climbing up up ...... its not smiling at all . How long from start to finish did the process take you ?...thanks

Also this letter from school.... i no sure if every school go gree write it. Is it optional and do u think a student can still apply if d school no gree write it ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by ddbluv: 5:51am On Aug 28, 2016
LagosismyHome:

This very necessary info given the exchange rate which is even still climbing up up ...... its not smiling at all . How long from start to finish did the process take you ?...thanks

Also this letter from school.... i no sure if every school go gree write it. Is it optional and do u think a student can still apply if d school no gree write it ?

Its the normal process for filing for OPT... it takes 90 days and you can must have completed 1 academic year. So you can file 3 mths b4 you complete 1 academic yr i.e. If you enter Aug, you can file around Feb ahead of Mid May so it will commence when u finish exam.
School must write for you, you have to explain to them very well. Mine knew about it but did not know the process, we both read it together and reasoned the best approach to get it.
You have to plan ahead in this country. You apply for PhD now against next yr fall. Everything in this country na planning and it takes time. It is for those who get DRIVE, as far as your not paying for it, I suggest you apply for anything in this country that is free

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Walspring: 6:19am On Aug 28, 2016
adesokunkm:
Please i need recent GRE materials for my younger brother planing to write GRE by November this year. Thank you all and God bless you. email: Kolawolemessage@gmail.com

Message sent

Just follow the downloading procedure
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by crazygurl: 7:12am On Aug 28, 2016
Good day to all the gurus....tool time and read this thread from.part 8-10

I have a question tho am applying to southern new hampshire university for MBA- human resource management.
I had an undergraduate degree in food science technology.
The school dosent require GRE or GMAT.

Is the VO going to have a problem with my switch.?

Is the school a good rankinh school?

Will the VO have a problem.with me not writting the above exams.

I appreciate your response.
Thank u
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by thacokeboy: 7:56am On Aug 28, 2016
KPhantom:
na fall 2017 sure pass for me!! The wait long sha, but enuff time to write SAT and to gather money for all important payments.. Who else is looking forward to fall 17 for Undergraduate studies? abeg make we dey align..
. I'm in that's what I'm also waiting for. fall 2017

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Christian129(m): 9:01am On Aug 28, 2016
crazygurl:

I have a question tho am applying to southern new hampshire university for MBA- human resource management.

Thank u
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Christian129(m): 9:02am On Aug 28, 2016
crazygurl:

Thank u

MBA without GMAT. It's like saying you wanna get into med school here in naija without JAMB. Aunty, better register for GMAT and TOEFL and save yourself the stress cuz the possibility of finding a good school and convincing the VO is almost 0 sis. Do the right thing. Happy Sunday

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Placeboeffect: 9:38am On Aug 28, 2016
Hi everyone. I'm new on this forum and I must commend you guys for a job well done. God bless you guys.
Please, I have a question. My sister and I are applying for spring 2017 admission and our sponsor is in the USA. Please do you think this can cause any problems for us at the embassy considering the fact that we want to use the same sponsor. Please kindly help us out guys as it really scares us especially my sister. God bless you and happy Sunday

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 9:55am On Aug 28, 2016
Dominicumoh:

No No No! thats not true sir. my life will still be better with or without my masters in the US...but there is that awesome feeling that comes when you achieve your desires,..that's just what i'm searching for. Thanks sir, i just sent you an invitation email.

Seen and replied. Please be consistent.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Hushee(m): 12:31pm On Aug 28, 2016
OluDare01:

new york na die o
my rent is 160/mo in this village cheesy
Which school, bro?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by kenniez26: 12:46pm On Aug 28, 2016
I60 dolls per month. That is over okay. I think oludare is in Tennessee tech

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 28, 2016
crazygurl:

Thank u
That school is a rubbish you. Agent prone school for fast admission.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by oothoney: 2:01pm On Aug 28, 2016
Dominicumoh:

Amen....I believe so too. Thanks for the encouragement sir,..God bless you

Hi Dom

I just read about your refusal about 5 times but the changes you have made so far will make you look like an applicant that wont return...now that you have a marriage certificate, hope you didn't fill single when you applied first.

Before you go next...look through the pages...someone posted a transcript from a guy in India that was rejected like 5 times but got it at the 6th time...you can read through it and use his aproach..might jst work fr you

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 2:22pm On Aug 28, 2016
kenniez26:
I60 dolls per month. That is over okay. I think oludare is in Tennessee tech
Yeah you got it

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Walspring: 2:49pm On Aug 28, 2016
Placeboeffect:
Hi everyone. I'm new on this forum and I must commend you guys for a job well done. God bless you guys.
Please, I have a question. My sister and I are applying for spring 2017 admission and our sponsor is in the USA. Please do you think this can cause any problems for us at the embassy considering the fact that we want to use the same sponsor. Please kindly help us out guys as it really scares us especially my sister. God bless you and happy Sunday

Amen and you too..

Well I will say 50/50 chances because there are people who got their US student visa and their sponsor are in US. If you can prove why (s)he is sponsoring both of you.

Also lemme believe that your sponsor is a US citizen and the way (s)he got the citizenship will also determine your visa interview as well..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by KPhantom(m): 3:29pm On Aug 28, 2016
thacokeboy:
. I'm in that's what I'm also waiting for. fall 2017
OK, I have replied ur pm... Pls check.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by nellyalph: 4:01pm On Aug 28, 2016
OluDare01:
If you don't know how to use LinkedIn,please go and learn
I started touching base with a nairalander and many people I met on LinkedIn right from Nigeria.
I got funding with their help,been staying with 2 Nigerians here for 3 weeks (great guys I should say). They are the nicest people alive.
I got a 3 bedroom apartment for $480 (quite cheap) so I'm moving in next week.
I can't imagine the hardship I would have gone through without these guys cos if you don't have cars here,na OYO you dey o cheesy

Please start touching base with people in your school on LinkedIn
God bless all Nigerians in Diaspora grin

From a grateful heart
Halidaf, I sight you grin

True talk bro!
In Nigeria, having a car is a luxury and for show off. But here it's really a necessity, just like having a phone.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by monsieur2016(m): 4:27pm On Aug 28, 2016
Calfavour where are you?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Placeboeffect: 5:29pm On Aug 28, 2016
Walspring:

Amen and you too..

Well I will say 50/50 chances because there are people who got their US student visa and their sponsor are in US. If you can prove why (s)he is sponsoring both of you.

Also lemme believe that your sponsor is a US citizen and the way (s)he got the citizenship will also determine your visa interview as well.. Bro, na tru visa lottery o

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 5:57pm On Aug 28, 2016
Good Morning, Hope you're all doing well? I can't believe it's Sunday already and there's school again tomorrow. The rate at which time flies ehn, I can't imagine. To those who love school (all work work and no play/more work and less play) and like to read, do assignments, ask questions in class, and all those Efiko things, I swear you're going to enjoy this place. Now stop reading here as I am not writing for you. To those who have taken my posts the wrong way, thinking I'm being harsh, proud, arrogant, self-righteous, etc. Please stop reading here too. I ignore most things I'm not comfortable with, learn how to do the same. smiley smiley smiley

Now moving on. To those who are like me, trying to balance everything out... shine your eyes. I don't even know this person but I think @ddbluv is a sure guy and being close to him is going to end well. Proper OT you have @ddbluv, I salute you. The economic hardship advice is one of the best I have read here, I like it. It's self explanatory and it couldn't have been written any better. I'd like to add some things to it though if you don't mind. It's not a condemnation as you would see.

Some people would think "oh wow!!! 40 hours to work anywhere! more money, I'll have more to survive here, lesser problems! It is getting better", While this could be the case, please think really hard when you want to explore this route. I will advise just like ddbluv to wait till at least after a semester and you've seen your result(s). They are serious about education here especially at graduate level. Readings, assignments, term-papers, etc will take so much of your time that without careful planning, things could go horribly wrong. Keyword: could.

As I am here, someone has offered to get me a job to guarantee the allowed 20 hours per week employment with like $9 hourly pay. Trust me, I'm already telling myself I don't think I want/need this job. I'm taking only 3 courses this semester and the lecturers keep giving "reading for the next class" and assignments, etc. So far, the assignments have been really easy ones to be fair, like 15 minutes max to do but the readings ehn... they're piling up and I'm just shaking my head here. I think it's still overwhelming because I'm new here and as I get more settled, I'll get used to planning and having things easier. I don't know if this is the case in other schools but Lecturers here like the class to be discussions, discussions, discussions. All my classmates participate, answer and ask questions because they've been reading while I stay mute all the time because I have not! I've been trying to settle down and do a lot of things, I've not really had time for education. Imagine adding the pressure of a job and being a good employee to all this, I'm just going to lose my mind and go crazy.

This is MY situation, it's not a general rule. Some people settle down quickly and easily, some people do not. Some people read and get things sorted quickly, some people do not. The key is identifying your strength and weakness before you make decisions. Don't just think of what works where you are, narrow it down to what works for you. In the end, it will be all about you. I also remember when I was trying to get an apartment, I saw so many cheap deals on craigslist I swear, if not because I am friends with one indigene here, I would have made the biggest mistake of my life. I learnt something new: Sometimes, the cheapest thing is not the cheapest thing. Consider the distance to school, stores, banks. restaurants, etc. Also consider your personality and try to live in an environment where you wouldn't have problems with yourself. It's not just about the price, you don't want to be sad 2 weeks after you've moved into your new home, do you?

Last tip on this topic: When you hear "I have lived in this city/town all my life", just collect the person's number cheesy cheesy cheesy It's going to help you so much.

29 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by crazygurl: 6:20pm On Aug 28, 2016
But two of my friends travelled last week,same school,no Gmat or Tofel.

It might not work for u but it worked for them!

slimmy2005:
That school is a rubbish you. Agent prone school for fast admission.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by badfeejay: 6:41pm On Aug 28, 2016
kphanthom i really appreciate your assistance and response.i hope am not disturbing you but i would still like to call on u to ask a few things if u dont mind,can i reach via bbm or any medium that appeals to u,privately?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 28, 2016
crazygurl:

smiley see response. Like I always say, different people with different cases. You should also consider like you said above that because it worked for these two people, there's no guarantee that it's going to work for you too. In my opinion, if you have a plan to go to this school or any other school for that matter, think deep and hard with a good plan. This is a world of limitless opportunities, you make your own luck in life. Now I'll try to answer the questions you asked earlier.

Okay

Cool

lol, They decided their admission/selection criteria, I don't think you should bother yourself about it.

No, the VO is not going to have a problem with your switch. There's only going to be a problem if you're unable to defend this switch like making them think you made the wrong decision and/or will not be able to cope with the switch. Or if you're unable to show that this is a calculated decision with a well-thought plan that's going to do something really great for you in the future.

Is the school a good ranking school?

I don't know to be honest. I believe this is what @slimmy2005 tried to answer by calling it rubbish smiley (and you didn't like his answer I guess). You could check google or all those sites people here talk about (ask @lagosismyhome) if you're really interested in knowing how high it is ranked.

Will the VO have a problem.with me not writting the above exams?

I'm not very sure. If you strike them as an intelligent and sound student, they might not bother about this. Again, in the event that you're asked whether you wrote any of them, your answer is going to determine if there's going to be a problem or not. I don't think there's a general answer here, so it all depends on you. for Example: Did you take any standardized tests? Answer: No (Don't explain why unless you're asked to do so), If they ask why? An answer like this school doesn't require it (which is the gospel truth) could land you in trouble. They could think you have an ulterior motive and all and you might have problems. Try to think of a more intelligent answer and you should be fine in this case.

I hope this helps... be good. smiley

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 28, 2016
Someone sent this.
I hope it works.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:19pm On Aug 28, 2016
crazygurl:

Depending on what your plans are after MBA.... if you want to stay behind and work then firstly human resource management is a hard area to enter . Some people break in but it is hard ....Since its hard you are better off staying away from any MBA with no GMAT as MBA ranked schools are all about GMAT

If your plan is to go to school and come back immediately then I guess the school is ok but u have to think about VO question about test scores and be ready to explain yourself

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 28, 2016
crazygurl:

Then what the hell are you doing here when you already have two friends who went through thesame route. Body go soon tell you.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Christian129(m): 9:38pm On Aug 28, 2016
slimmy2005:
Then what the hell are you doing here when you already have two friends who went through thesame route. Body go soon tell you.
grin
slimmy2005:

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by badfeejay: 10:33pm On Aug 28, 2016
hello house,did the rain send everyone to sleep early?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Royat1(m): 11:04pm On Aug 28, 2016
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 11:07pm On Aug 28, 2016
temi4fash:

Abeg jump and pass..

sureb0y.. I dai feel you..

Though i dont approve of your stuffs but these over self righteous way dai vex me no b small

I don't understand what you mean here but if you were talking about "my over self righteous way", then I don't think I owe you any apology cheesy cheesy cheesy I once wrote about how kind and nice people are in this city. I wrote about how I initially thought they were pretending and faking it all cos I wasn't used to that kind of stuff... now fast forward, I have made a decision to try my best to be nice and kind too. If it's sometimes uncomfortable for me, I will either be nice or just do nothing instead of saying something worse or making someone feel bad. I have suggested this method, not enforced it.

I'll give you an example, I didn't know how to use a washing machine, dryer, their kind of toaster here, etc. I asked my friends yesterday, they smiled and told me all about it in the nicest way possible. Imagine an answer like: What? as old as you are, you can't use a washing Machine? OR something more embarrassing. It could have an effect and make me not want to ask any other questions. You might not know the meaning/effect of genuine kindness and how far it's going to take people in life. Despite all I know, I could make a long list of the most stupid questions I have asked people here and how they have answered me and helped. Without their kindness I would have been lost. After every good deed, I made sure I said thank you in the sincerest way.

I was on skype with a friend of mine in Nigeria yesterday. I unconsciously said something and she said I was forming because I'm now in Yankee. That I was forming accent and trying to oppress her, I should sit down in one place because I'm not the first to travel. I just laughed at her mindset. I didn't even know my accent changed when I said the thing until she drew my attention to it. To those people with this kind of "hating" mindset, I just feel sorry for you. I repeat myself so many times that I have to even make gestures with my hands, spell, or write for these white people to understand me here. It's simple... if you don't try to speak like them, they won't understand you. One guy introduced himself: "Hi, I'm Hunter". omo, I said "ehn?" like 8 times and I didn't even understand him until he spelled it. I also asked another guy for "Water", It was until I wrote it on paper that he understood what I was saying. As they say: fake it till you get it.

We need to open our minds in order to progress. If I start, I won't finish. I'll just let it slide. Some Nigerians will see ordinary car as luxury when it's a necessity, upload a picture of yourself/you and your friends in a restaurant trying something new, they'll say you're being proud, showing off and a bucketload of other nonsense. You'll see people hating on others for trying to change their pronunciation and accent... something they need in order to survive here or anywhere else. It's just a shame.

If me suggesting kindness and open-mindedness dey vex you, lol. O ga gan. You don't know who's on the other side of the computer. Some people will come here to ask questions, you don't know how old they are, their status and level and what they can do for you in future, You carry hand and write nonsense to them and then when you meet in future in this small world and they show you shege, you will cry foul. I'll keep writing about my experience and suggestions cheesy cheesy cheesy Those who like it, like it. Those who do not, do not.

17 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (405)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.