Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,685 members, 7,831,125 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken (31020 Views)

Nigerian Atheist, Carl Maobi, Kidnapped / Nigerian Atheist: / What If Zuckerberg Were A Nigerian Atheist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by joseph1832(m): 5:48pm On Aug 15, 2016
naijababe:

grin grin grin grin grin Coward! It's meant for people you can pull the wool over their eyes abi?

Have you ever seen me on your threads?. I am not interested in your decision to choose atheism but y'all aren't getting away with 'fascism'. The right to choose to be a person of faith is an unalienable and non-negotiable right of every human. The same way I will speak up against ISIS and KKK is the same way I will speak up against atheist militancy and the crass discrimination dripping from his original post. There is no way I am going to let you get away such dangerous views.

I mean seriously, y'all egg him on with comments like religious women suck and can't live up to their potential. As I said in my first rejoinder, y'all can congregate, speak up against religion but you are not getting away with thinking that your choice and way is best for all us.

Well if you ask me the exact same thing is what you guys (Christians and Muslims) do.

You congregate and pollute our airwaves, streets and sights with your self acclaimed brand of religion, telling us your christian God is the way and the life etc.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by wirinet(m): 5:57pm On Aug 15, 2016
Oga Seun, as per the topic at hand, i do not believe in being outspoken in religious affairs. To me religion is a personal affair and people guard their beliefs jealously, sometimes with their lives.

The best way to make people see the folly of religious beliefs is to debate and exchange opinions as we had been doing here on Nairaland. With time the religious fanatics would gradually start questioning long held dogmas. This is how tens of people have denounced their faith right here on nairaland and this is how hundreds more have started questioning long held beliefs.
Dumping religion is a slow and painful process, if you try to attack religion directly, you will face a fierce response.

Remember, few of us started the crusade of freeing people from the shackles of religion way way back from 2007, we had memorable debates back then with people like Huxley, Mazaje, Noetic, Davidylan, Pastor AIO, Deepsight, Morpheus, etc. Today i feel very happy to see that Nigerians, especially the youth are is slowly waking up from religious malaise and direct that energy into developmental tasks.

You can only show people the door, they would have to walk through themselves.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Franchise21(m): 6:42pm On Aug 15, 2016
So Seun is an atheist?
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 15, 2016
ValentineMary:

It seems u don't still understand atheism. Communicate more with them to understand.

What I mean is that if I eventually find out there is a kind of God somewhere, surely it's not what humans worship. In summary I am 100% sure all Gods humans worship are fake.
Lol. Okay. Enough of the derailing. Peace.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by ayobase(m): 9:45pm On Aug 15, 2016
darkenedrebel:
Seun forgets that the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

Cogent.
Out if this thread.
naijababe, kudos.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Seun(m): 4:10am On Aug 16, 2016
darkenedrebel:
According to Seun: "I have to be an Atheist because there is no evidence of any God"

This is a logical fallacy: argumentum ad ignoratiam (appeal to ignorance). Is this how you normally argue? Because there's no evidence of this, then it is nonexistent?
Absolutely not. What I say is, "because there is no evidence of it, I cannot hold the belief that it exists."

Orbiting that same fallacious illogicality of yours, I dare say that a kid born in an impoverished home—which peradventure is also located in the village—is right in believing that he/she can never achieve success, simply because he/she has no evidence that the wherewithal and opportunities to be wealthy and successful abound in the urbanized towns and cities.
There's a lot of evidence that kids born into impoverished homes can achieve success. There are numerous verifiable stories of this happening.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by BuddhaPalm(m): 7:50am On Aug 16, 2016
Seun you're becoming a bad boy. You said "shitty'.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by BuddhaPalm(m): 7:54am On Aug 16, 2016
But to be fair, without religion, the world would be quite a depressing place for lots of people.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 8:55am On Aug 16, 2016
BuddhaPalm:
Seun you're becoming a bad boy. You said "shitty'.

He is evolving! He was once a passive, reclusive Atheist then he became a bit more outspoken, now he is demanding that all atheists should become outspoken, next is most likely Militancy. They never know until they get there because right now he is trying to recruit disciples.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 3:14pm On Aug 16, 2016
Seun:
Absolutely not. What I say is, "because there is no evidence of it, I cannot hold the belief that it exists."

Why are you flip-flopping and trying to twist your own words just to weasel your way out of the logical fallacy you were guilty of? This was what you said to Naijababe, and I quote:

Seun:
It doesn't really matter if you're a person like me who values the truth. I have to be an atheist because there's no evidence for any God

Admit your howler and stop trying to cover your tracks.

There's a lot of evidence that kids born into impoverished homes can achieve success. There are numerous verifiable stories of this happening.

You're missing the point.

For every kid born into an impoverished home that was able to amount to greatness, either by dint of hardwork or pure hard luck, there are a million others out there living in the outbacks who have no evidence that better life exists somewhere beyond the backwater they live in, and who because of this ignorance would die in squalor and abject poverty. (these set of people are homologous to Atheists, especially in attitude)

That counterfactual example that I gave in my previous post was only to ridicule your argumentum ad ignoratiam logical fallacy wherein you stated that you have to be an Atheist because you have no evidence that God exists—a statement you latterly tried twisting, probably because you realized how silly it came off across as—.

And FYI, there are oodles of data, happenings, and evidences that show that God indeed is not just a fictitious character, or a figment of the fibrile imagination of men who at some point in history felt the biting need to be spiritually dependent on a more superior being. You only have to be open-minded before you can see these things(happenings, evidences) for what they really are: signs that a God exists.

How then would you explain fortean, anomalous phenomena that have over the centuries left mankind with a truckload of unanswered questions: the Incorruptibles (bodies of saints which after many years were found intact and without any decay—a phenomenon which till date has no scientific cum logical symmetry to it), The Shroud Of Turin, cases of Stigmatists—like Padre Pio, Francis of Assisi et al (Stigmatists are people who suffered wounds of Christs, which inexplicably appeared most times on their palms or feet)

Why don't you sit back and think what our purpose on earth is if indeed there is no God and we are all just temporary occupants of earth? Think about it, why are we here? To enjoy the vain music and food? To use science to make our 'godless/non-spiritual' lives easier? To be born, only to die later, and probably before we even clock 70—especially in this age where life expectancy is at the downswing side of the curve.

Atheists are the most ridiculous set of people ever.
If they think there is no God, then I would like to bowl you/them this googly—not even the then-how-did-we(humans)-come-into-existence-since-there-is-no-God type question—but the question which shatters Atheism into a zillion irreparable pieces, and that question is: Since you claim God doesn't exist then 'what is the purpose of humanity on earth', and why do we have to be arrayed in high moral fibre or be altruistic, or be do-gooders, since after all, God and hell doesn't exist? Tell me, why must I do good?

Of course, Atheists have no definitive answer to the foregoing. . . . . .or do you? I don't mind being at the receiving end of what your thoughts are on this one.

4 Likes

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Seun(m): 4:52pm On Aug 16, 2016
BuddhaPalm:
But to be fair, without religion, the world would be quite a depressing place for lots of people.
Can you elaborate on this claim? I imagine that being able to indulge in the harmless pleasures that religion forbids would cheer people up.

darkenedrebel:
Why are you flip-flopping and trying to twist your own words just to weasel your way out of the logical fallacy you were guilty of? This was what you said to Naijababe, and I quote:
Admit your howler and stop trying to cover your tracks.
Atheism is the absence of belief in God. If you don't believe in any God, then you're an atheist. Some atheists would go a step further and assert that there's no God, but that's not required. What makes you an atheist is not an assertion of nonexistence, but the absence of belief.

And FYI, there are oodles of data, happenings, and evidences that show that God indeed is not just a fictitious character, or a figment
Nope.

the Incorruptibles (bodies of saints which after many years were found intact and without any decay—a phenomenon which till date has no scientific cum logical symmetry to it),
They were well embalmed, like the Pharaohs of Egypt? Freshly embalmed bodies were placed in the tombs of ancient saints? Any recent case?

The Shroud Of Turin
"The Shroud of Turin, a length of linen cloth bearing the image of a man, is believed by some Christians to be the burial shroud of Jesus of Nazareth. Three radiocarbon dating tests in 1988 dated a sample of the cloth to the Middle Ages" In other words, it's a hoax.

cases of Stigmatists—like Padre Pio, Francis of Assisi et al (Stigmatists are people who suffered wounds of Christs, which inexplicably appeared most times on their palms or feet)
Aren't wounds easily faked? I could take a nail and hammer it into your hands. Viola, instant stigmata! How would that prove anything? The miracle here is that for some reason, people have chosen to ignore the possibility that those wounds were faked for fame and publicity.

Why don't you sit back and think what our purpose on earth is if indeed there is no God and we are all just temporary occupants of earth? Think about it, why are we here? To enjoy the vain music and food? To use science to make our 'godless/non-spiritual' lives easier? To be born, only to die later, and probably before we even clock 70—especially in this age where life expectancy is at the downswing side of the curve.
These are trivial questions; they only seem weighty because of our childhood indoctrination. Most of us are here because our parents chose to have children. That's it. Now you have your life, it's yours, and you get to decide what you'll do with it. Some people devote themselves to intellectual pursuits like science, maths, and technological research. Others make it their mission in life to educate, entertain, or inspire people. Others devote their lives to raising kids and helping them to achieve their potential. Or being really rich and famous. Whatever you enjoy, whatever makes the world a better place, whatever will give you pride as you review your life on your deathbed, you can make it your purpose.

Since you claim God doesn't exist then 'what is the purpose of humanity on earth'
I see no reason to have a common purpose for all humanity. Why not let every human decide his/her own purpose? What's wrong with that?

why do we have to be arrayed in high moral fibre or be altruistic, or be do-gooders, since after all, God and hell doesn't exist? Tell me, why must I do good?
We don't have to be altruistic, but we should probably choose to be altruistic because making people happy also makes us happy.

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by firestar(f): 5:07pm On Aug 16, 2016
timpaker:
Which religion is against poetry, Mr. Seun?

Timpaker.

Warm greetings. Try to look in between the lines of his. There's a familiar thread that undos the entire article.

smiley
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by timpaker(m): 5:20pm On Aug 16, 2016
firestar:

Timpaker.

Warm greetings. Try to look in between the lines of his. There's a familiar thread that undos the entire article.

smiley

Firestar,
Good day (longest time).
Please can I get the link of such thread?

How have you been? Missed ya'll.

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 6:59pm On Aug 16, 2016
darkenedrebel:

Atheists are the most ridiculous set of people ever.
If they think there is no God, then I would like to bowl you/them this googly—not even the then-how-did-we(humans)-come-into-existence-since-there-is-no-God type question—but the question which shatters Atheism into a zillion irreparable pieces, and that question is: Since you claim God doesn't exist then 'what is the purpose of humanity on earth', and why do we have to be arrayed in high moral fibre or be altruistic, or be do-gooders, since after all, God and hell doesn't exist? Tell me, why must I do good?

Of course, Atheists have no definitive answer to the foregoing. . . . . .or do you? I don't mind being at the receiving end of what your thoughts are on this one.

I am not an atheist but I would love to add my two cents here and so I will. cheesy

You don't have to believe in God to have a life purpose. Personally, I believe that we are here to feel good and to evolve so that the universe expands like it does.

And we don't have to be 'arrayed in high moral fibre or be altruistic' and we don't need hell to be so.

There is nothing moral about doing what is right just because you fear punishment but it's moral and honourable to do so even if you fear no punishment and expect no reward.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 7:03pm On Aug 16, 2016
wirinet:
Oga Seun, as per the topic at hand, i do not believe in being outspoken in religious affairs. To me religion is a personal affair and people guard their beliefs jealously, sometimes with their lives.

The best way to make people see the folly of religious beliefs is to debate and exchange opinions as we had been doing here on Nairaland. With time the religious fanatics would gradually start questioning long held dogmas. This is how tens of people have denounced their faith right here on nairaland and this is how hundreds more have started questioning long held beliefs.
Dumping religion is a slow and painful process, if you try to attack religion directly, you will face a fierce response.

Remember, few of us started the crusade of freeing people from the shackles of religion way way back from 2007, we had memorable debates back then with people like Huxley, Mazaje, Noetic, Davidylan, Pastor AIO, Deepsight, Morpheus, etc. Today i feel very happy to see that Nigerians, especially the youth are is slowly waking up from religious malaise and direct that energy into developmental tasks.

You can only show people the door, they would have to walk through themselves.
one of the many things that really made me a freethinker was going back in time to search the threads of this guys u mentioned
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 8:00pm On Aug 16, 2016
Seun:

Atheism is the absence of belief in God. If you don't believe in any God, then you're an atheist

This is a loose definition. The real definition of Atheism is: the belief that god doesn't exist

Some atheists would go a step further and assert that there's no God, but that's not required

These set of atheists are the ones that understand what atheism is, and not that absence-of-belief-in-God definition you're giving me.

But then again, even these set of atheists are demonstrably wrong in their asserting that God is nonexistent:

1. It is a logical impossibility to prove a negative i.e that something (God) does not exist.

2. Since it a logical impossibility to prove a negative then atheism is DOA.

[s]What makes you an atheist is not an assertion of nonexistence, but the absence of belief[/s]

Like I said before, this is a loose definition—employed slyly by some atheists to avoid getting cornered. The true definition of atheism is the belief that God(s) does not exist—a definition they try to avoid because of the Charley horses and cramps that can be found in it.

Nope

We've heard testimonies from millions of people who claimed to have had personal experiences with God(s); we've seen/heard repeated claims of miracles which millions of people attributed to divine intervention; we've heard of Marian apparitions, vistas of ghosts and angels, we've also seen/heard of cases of children getting marked minutes before they died, only for the same mark appearing in the next child born to the parents of the dead child that was marked before he/she died (Ogbanje).

Are you dismissing the testimonies of millions of people who claimed to have witnessed or experienced some/all of the paranomal occurences that I highlighted?

If it can take the testimony of only 4 people to get a conviction in a court of law, then wouldn't it be myopically redundant to dismiss as untrue the plethora of testimonies of people who claimed to have witnessed and experienced these supernatural events first-hand? Does it sound logical to wave off these testimonies as mere bedtime stories? Or can millions of people all be having hallucinations at the same time?

They were well embalmed, like the Pharaohs of Egypt? Freshly embalmed bodies were placed in the tombs of ancient saints? Any recent case?

Nice try. Lies don't win a debate.

"The Shroud of Turin, a length of linen cloth bearing the image of a man, is believed by some Christians to be the burial shroud of Jesus of Nazareth. Three radiocarbon dating tests in 1988 dated a sample of the cloth to the Middle Ages" In other words, it's a hoax

You forgot to post the part where it was said in Wikipedia that the results were inconclusive. The same carbon-13 that placed its origin in the Middle Age also at another time said the Turin Shroud predates the Middle ages.

Aren't wounds easily faked? I could take a nail and hammer it into your hands Viola, instant stigmata! How would that prove anything? The miracle here is that for some reason, people have chosen to ignore the possibility that those wounds were faked for fame and publicity

It would interest you to know that some people actually inflicted the wounds on themselves, and they were caught—they were caught because there were probings (made by the church and scientists who were curious about the phenomenon) which exposed them as fakes and con artists.

There were also genuine and valid cases of stigmata which after thorough investigations (also made by the church and scientists) defied scientific explanation.

So what do you have to say about these valid cases of stigmata?

These are trivial questions; they only seem weighty because of our childhood indoctrination. Most of us are here because our parents chose to have children. That's it. Now you have your life, it's yours, and you get to decide what you'll do with it

How is asking what the purpose of humanity is a trivial question? Isn't that above-the-fold in the catalogue of questions that humanity has to answer?

Some people devote themselves to intellectual pursuits like science, maths, and technological research. Others make it their mission in life to educate, entertain, or inspire people. Others devote their lives to raising kids and helping them to achieve their potential. Or being really rich and famous. Whatever you enjoy, whatever makes the world a better place, whatever will give you pride as you review your life on your deathbed, you can make it your purpose

And what is the purpose of all these things when it all ends up in DEATH, with no hope of an afterlife i.e assuming that god indeed does not exist.

You're trying to tell me the explosion of the primordial soup(big bang theory), Charles Darwin evolution drivel and whatever creation-of-the-world theory that does not acknowledge the existence of a god(s) simply put us on earth to change diapers, get married, have sëx, build empires and then DIE? Does that sound logical or purposeful to you?

Well, it doesn't to me.

I see no reason to have a common purpose for all humanity. Why not let every human decide his/her own purpose? What's wrong with that?

If there is no commonality of purpose the world would be a swirling vortex of enthropy (which it already is)

Look at the animal kingdom, lions don't kill lions, frogs don't eat frogs—that's because of the commonality of purpose that binds animals of the same specie together. How/why is it supposed to be any different for us?

We don't have to be altruistic, but we should probably choose to be altruistic because making people happy also makes us happy

If there is no GOD then it is illogical and a waste of time to still strive to be MORAL. And if there is not a modicum of morality in humans, then there would be chaos and anarchy; the rule of the jungle would be in operation; and crimes would justifiably go unpunished.

Spirituality is the matrix, and the fountainhead of morality.

I'll leave you with this: Information, language, codes, signs, sounds, and even this message I'm sending you right now are all products of the human mind.

The human DNA as you know is but an intricate form of language and codes.

Since poetry, language, sounds, speech etc are generated from the mind(human intelligence) then doesn't that suggests that human intelligence came from a SUPER INTELLIGENCE? (God).

You can't deny that there's some mileage in what I'm saying, and while you are at it, kindly change your name to something more suitable.
Oluwaseun means 'thank you, God'.

Your name and your atheistic leanings make you a walking paradox, or how can you be thanking a God you do not believe in? The same God that made Nairaland a success cheesy

1 Like

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 9:21pm On Aug 16, 2016
Mindfulness:

I am not an atheist but I would love to add my two cents here and so I will. cheesy

What are you then? A satanist? That sounds hot. grin

You don't have to believe in God to have a life purpose. Personally, I believe that we are here to feel good and to evolve so that the universe expands like it does

@bolded__But to me, a life without god, a life with no hope of an afterlife, a life with nothing to hope for beyond our life here on earth is purposeless. I know it's subjective but that's just how I see it.

You believe we are just here to feel good? Feel good about what? Looooool.

And so that the universe can expand to what end?

There needs to be rhyme and reason for the existence of something. All these 'we-are-here-to-feel-good' explanations do not pass muster.

Theism gives life a purpose, because at least it promises of something beyond life here on earth. Atheism on the other hand renders it purposeless. Deep down in your heart of hearts I'm sure you know that this is true.

And we don't have to be 'arrayed in high moral fibre or be altruistic' and we don't need hell to be so

There is nothing moral about doing what is right just because you fear punishment but it's moral and honourable to do so even if you fear no punishment and expect no reward

Psychology made us understand that people are not necessarily moral. They are only afraid of the punishments that they'll face when they break a rule, or are in most cases just too cowardly to break the rule i.e fear of getting caught are also why people adhere to rules, and not necessarily because they naturally have a predilection towards being moral and upright.

So you see, what we think is morality only exist because of the rules and regulations which puts a rein on human actions.
Screen out those rules and the veneer of morality would collapse like a house of cards.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 9:50pm On Aug 16, 2016
darkenedrebel:

What are you then? A satanist? That sounds hot. grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

@bolded__But to me, a life without god, a life with no hope of an afterlife, a life with nothing to hope for beyond our life here on earth is purposeless. I know it's subjective but that's just how I see it.

The advantage of people who believe that death is terminal and not a transition is that they tend to be more mindful and appreciative of the present moment.

You believe we are just here to feel good? Feel good about what? Looooool.

Whatever we desire in life, we desire it to feel good. We want money to feel powerful, confident and secure (=positive feelings). We want relationships to feel acknowledged, appreciated, loved and cared for (=positive feelings).

We want to sleep and to eat, to feel energetic (=good feeling).

We want to acquire knowledge to satisfy our curiosity (=good feeling).

We want to dance, play and win to feel free, frisky and strong (=good feelings).

All that we desire, we desire because we believe that if we get our desire fulfilled, we will feel good or better.

And so that the universe can expand to what end?

Growth leads to new opportunities, new realities, new playgrounds wink

There needs to be rhyme and reason for the existence of something. All these 'we-are-here-to-feel-good' explanations do not pass muster.

We are here to prove that we are worthy of our Creator's love and mercy is better? cheesy

Theism gives life a purpose, because at least it promises of something beyond life here on earth.

I would be the last person who would want to talk you out of your faith in God and a continuation of your life beyond your physical body because faith is very powerful and I share it with you but it's a fallacy to think that tomorrow is needed to give today a purpose.

Atheism in the other hand renders it purposeless. Deep down in your heart of hearts I'm sure you know this is true.

I am not an atheist but I don't believe that an atheist - by default - lives a life without purpose.
Your life purpose is to live your life in such a way that will take you to paradise. Someone else's purpose is it to get married or rich.
Someone else wants to fight climate change and others want to fight poverty.

Whatever life purpose we choose, we need it to feel better. wink

Psychology made us understand that people are not necessarily moral. They are only afraid of the punishments that they'll face when they break a rule, or are in most cases just too cowardly to break the rule i.e fear of getting caught are also why people adhere to rules.

This statement is based on the false premise that people who believe in God will do good for the fear of punishment. If that was so, Nigeria would be the holiest place on earth. grin cheesy

Human beings have the capability to go beyond this stage. In fact, you have just described the lowest stage of moral development that humans are capable of achieving.

So you see, what we think is morality only exist because of the rules and regulations that tend to put a rein on human actions.
Screen out those rules and the veneer of morality would collapse like a house of cards.

I never said anything against laws and law enforcement. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 7:27am On Aug 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Come on, out with it already. If it would make you feel any better, I once had a girlfriend who claimed she was Rosicrucian. grin Just so you know that I wouldn't find whatever it is that you are to be weird or cuckoo. grin

The advantage of people who believe that death is terminal and not a transition is that they tend to be more mindful and appreciative of the present moment

Whatever we desire in life, we desire it to feel good. We want money to feel powerful, confident and secure (=positive feelings). We want relationships to feel acknowledged, appreciated, loved and cared for (=positive feelings).

We want to sleep and to eat, to feel energetic (=good feeling).

We want to acquire knowledge to satisfy our curiosity (=good feeling).

We want to dance, play and win to feel free, frisky and strong (=good feelings).

All that we desire, we desire because we believe that if we get our desire fulfilled, we will feel good or better

It's probably because of how I'm wired 'cause all of what you listed don't mean shît to me if that is all we are here for or all that we are meant to do.

Money that could vanish at any time? Knowledge that an amnesia-inducing bump on the head could take away in a less than a nanosecond? Relationships that could cause heartbreaks? -e.g the death of a loved one or when a long-time friend betrays your trust.

Sleeping and eating? Is this what you call a purposefully driven existence? (You must like food oooo cheesy)
Just eating, sleeping and feeling energetic? Why not also add Nairalanding as one of the key sacred links in the eternal circle of life? You funny oooo grin grin

On a more serious note, it all makes no sense vis-a-vis the lifespan of the average human being—what's the point if it all ends in DEATH? Perhaps it would have made more sense to me if we had been immortal and then get to enjoy all of these things ad infinitum.

Growth leads to new opportunities, new realities, new playgrounds wink

Tell me what you are. I want to know. Are you agnostic? I can only make sense of what you say when I know what side of the fence you're sitting on.

We are here to prove that we are worthy of our Creator's love and mercy is better? cheesy

Not necessarily. We were initially meant to be in paradise(earth) and live peacefully and happily ever after - this was the order of the day during the prelapsarian period, then the fall of man upsetted the halcyon atmosphere and triggered a new operational paradigm - one that now demands that for reparation of the sins of our first parents, salvation must now be earned (If nothing is free even in Freetown then why must salavation be free. . . .for this economic crisis and naira devaluation wey we dey? You expect salvation not to have a price tag? cheesy grin)

Long story short, we are given the free will to do good or bad, if we do good we transmogrify from this earthen ware bodies into an ethereal, heavenly state, but if we don't then like the proverbial chaff we are condemned to hell.

This makes more sense cheesy

I would be the last person who would want to talk you out of your faith in God and a continuation of your life beyond your physical body because faith is very powerful

Even if you tried your damnedest, you can't. Faith is the unflinching belief in that which is yet to be seen, felt or known. I've had personal experiences with God, however anecdotal my account might be, so my faith has transcended into a belief in the known, felt and seen.

You need to stand beside me, baby. . . .the ectoplasmatic spiritual vibes emitting from me could give any sexually active lady some very pleasurable pûssy queefs. It's that palpable. cheesy

Honestly, wouldn't it be better to have a belief in something (God) and then die only to find out you had been wasting your time all along, than to not believe in anything (God) and then die only to find out you had been dead wrong? And of course by that time it would have already been too late to make amends.

Anyone with keen business acumen would choose the first option because of the damage-control involved. It's a win-win situation.

and I share it with you but it's a fallacy to think that tomorrow is needed to give today a purpose

It is not a fallacy. If it is then tell me what the name of this fallacy is?

I am not an atheist but I don't believe that an atheist - by default - lives a life without purpose.
Your life purpose is to live your life in such a way that will take you to paradise. Someone else's purpose is it to get married or rich.
Someone else wants to fight climate change and others want to fight poverty
Whatever life purpose we choose, we need it to feel better. wink

Your opinion, not mine. But then again we can always agree to disagree.

This statement is based on the false premise that people who believe in God will do good for the fear of punishment If that was so, Nigeria would be the holiest place on earth. grin cheesy

@emboldened__I didn't mention anything like that, and neither was my premise predicated on that.

It's in psychology. You know one thing I'm not wont to do is turf out links when conversing on Nairaland. So, get those pretty little fingers to work and start using your search engines. grin

Human beings have the capability to go beyond this stage. In fact, you have just described the lowest stage of moral development that humans are capable of achieving.

98% of humans are still in the stage of pre-conceptual/pre-conventional morality and will probably never get past that stage. We are beastly, savage and immoral by nature; morality is also nonbiological.

Before the marriage institution was established (a brainchild of theism) we had liberal sex with no-strings attached (asides from the females who were/are genetically predisposed to being hormonally attached to the archetypal Alphamale that mates with them)
We also killed, plundered, and didn't have any qualms of conscience about it. And do you know why we didn't feel prostrate with guilt? It's because morality is not an innate component of humanity, it is a social conditioning, just like gender bias—and this social conditioning was made possible by threats of sanction contained in our law books.

Did you know that there is no single portion of the human brain that's responsible for morality or that there is no such thing as morality objectivism?

We only chose to hedge these rules and regulations in order to create a false sense of morality, mainly to protect the weak and poor in the society. It's Occam's Razor—in the sense that we opted for a saner, more simplistic option that would give us a sense of security as opposed to the savage survival-of-the-fittest mentality that's deep-seated and inherent in our genetic makeup.

And to prove to you that we are moral only when it is convenient for us, I would like you to answer the popular Trolley problem (@photo1)

Imagine it were your son(if you have a male child) on the right hand side of the track in that photo. Would you divert the train to the side where your son is standing, thereby killing him and saving the lives of the 5 people on the other side (which is the morally right thing to do)
Or would you do the reverse? (which is morally wrong)

Answer this question.

Let's make it more personal now with the Footbridge dilemma (@photo2)

Imagine you were standing on one side of the tracks with your son, would you push him into the oncoming train (which has obviously lost control), thus saving the lives of the 5 people in front of the tracks (which is the morally right thing to do)

Or would you allow the train to kill the 5 people knowing fully well that you could have prevented it by pushing your son onto the tracks (which is morally wrong and a further certification of the innate selfishness, immorality, and debasement of the human nature)

Your answer to the two questions has to be YES or NO. Don't try cutting corners with semantics. Just a simple YES or NO answer would suffice. And think deeply about your answers before proffering them, and also whether they would still be the same if you ever had to make such decision in real life. And don't try lying to me, 'cause as you know I can see directly through your gentle soul. grin grin

Give me an answer. . . .don't keep Daddy waiting grin

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 8:12am On Aug 17, 2016
darkenedrebel:

Come on , spill it out. I once had a girlfriend who claimed she was Rosicrucian, grin so I wouldn't find whatever it is that you are to be weird or cuckoo. grin

I was born into a Christian family and as much as I believe that Jesus was a cool, revolutionary and extraordinary personality, I don't buy the rest of the fairytales (except for some historical accounts) written in the Bible. I believe in God but I am not an adherent of any religion and very happy with it.

It's probably because of how I'm wired because all of what you listed don't mean shît to me if that is all we are here for or meant to do.

Are you sure?

Money that could vanish at any time? Relationships that causes heartbreaks, like when a loved one dies? Sleeping and eating? Is this what you call a purposefully driven existence? Just eating, sleeping and feeling energetic? Why not also add Nairalanding as a key sacred link in the eternal circle of life? You funny oooo grin grin

Even if money can vanish, it means something to us. Relationships can mean heartbreaks and yet most of us strive to maintain them.
And yes, eating and sleeping is very purposeful. Try not to. wink

Nairalanding is very purposeful as well. For me it's fun, for others it's a means to shape opinions. If it all doesn't mean anything to you if there is no afterlife, then so be it but the point is that not every human being needs to have prospects of an afterlife to feel that their life is purposeful.

On a more serious mote, it all makes no sense vis-a-vis the lifespan of the average human being—what's the point if it all ends in DEATH? Perhaps it would have made more sense to me if we had been immortal and then get to enjoy all of these things ad infinitum.

The key word here is TO YOU but it's wrong to assume that everyone needs to hope for an afterlife to enjoy their life.

Tell me what you are. I want to know. Are you agnostic? I can only make sense of what you say when I know what side of the fence you're sitting on.

I have already explained it. I am a retired Christian. I believe in God and I distance myself from religions because they don't make sense at all.

Not necessarily. We were initially meant to be in paradise(earth) and live peacefully and happily ever after - this was the order of the day during the prelapsarian period, then the fall of man upsetted the halcyon atmosphere and triggered a new operational paradigm - one that now demands that for reparation of the sins of our first parents, salvation now has to be earned i.e we are given the free will to do good or bad, if we do good we transmogrify from this earthen ware bodies into an ethereal, heavenly state, but if we don't then like the proverbial chaff we are condemned to hell.

This makes more sense cheesy

Can I also take you to court for the crimes that your ancestors comitted? grin Nonsense!

Even if you tried your damnedest, you can't. Faith is only a belief in the unseen and unknown. I've had personal experiences, however anecdotal my account might be, so my faith has transcended into a belief in the known, felt and seen.

It's not only you who has had such experience, I experience it on a daily basis. wink

You need to stand beside me. . . .the ectoplasmatic spiritual vibes emitting from me could give any sexually active lady some very pleasurable pûssy queefs. cheesy

For sure but I could be your mama if I started early enough.

Honestly, wouldn't it be better to have a belief in something (God) and then die only to find out you had been wasting your time, than to not believe in anything (God) then die only to find out you had been dead wrong all along? And of course by that time it would have been too late.

First, whether it's better to believe in God or not is a personal decision and choice.
Secondly, the notion that it is too late for anything when you die not believing in God is part of your Christian belief system that uses fear as an effective tool to scare people into buying all theit nonsense. I am a woman of faith, not a woman of fear. I don't believe in a God who punishes people for the mistakes other people made a million of years ago. And you have absolutely no proof that anyone will be punished for believing what they do except for your Bible that is illogical and contradictory in itself.

Anyone with keen business acumen would choose the first option because of the damage-control involved.

Anyone who believes in a punitive, revengeful, ego-driven God. That's certainly not me.

It is not a fallacy. If it is then tell me what the name of this fallacy is?

I can enjoy chatting with you NOW even if there is no tomorrow. Whether I believe in eternity or not has no impact on me enjoying whatever I do TODAY.

Your opinion, not mine. But then again we can always agree to disagree.

It's not an opinion, it's a fact. You need the belief in an afterlife to feel that your life has a purpose, millions of other people don't.

@emboldened__I didn't mention anything like that, and neither was my premise predicated on that.

You said that we need to believe in God and fear punishment to do good and that implies that only religious folks have morality when it's clearly not so.

It's in psychology. You know one thing I'm not wont to do is turf out links when conversing on Nairaland. So, get those pretty little fingers to work and start using your search engines. grin

I don'T need search engines to counter your point that we need religion to be moral. wink

98% of humans are still in the stage of pre-conceptual/pre-conventional morality and will probably never get past that stage. We are beastly, savage and immoral by nature; morality is also nonbiological.

Actually most people are considered to be at the stage of conventional morality, not in Nigeria though. grin

Before the marriage institution was established (a brainchild of theism) we had liberal sex with no-strings attached (asides from the females who were/are genetically predisposed to being hormonally attached to the archetypal Alphamale that mates with them)

We also killed, plundered, and didn't have any qualms of conscience about it. And do you know why we didn't feel prostrate with guilt? It's because morality is not an innate component of humanity, it is a socially conditioning, just like gender bias—and this social conditioning was made possible by threats of sanction contained in our law books.

WTF? grin

Christians have plundered and killed many peoples in the name of their religion. Are you seriously telling me that you don't know about the crimes committed in the name of Christianity? ISIS is a kindegarten club compared to what Christians did to peoples around the world.

Did you know that there is no single portion of the brain responsible for morality or that there is no such thing as morality objectivism? Of course you do.

Whether there is or not, I know plenty of atheists who are morally better developed than religious people.
Again, if religion made people act right, Nigeria would be a holy place. grin

We only chose to hedge these rules and regulations in order to create a false sense of morality, mainly to protect the weak and poor in the society. It's Occam's Razor—in the sense that we opted for a saner, more simplistic option that would give us a sense of security as opposed to the savage survival-of-the-fittest mentality that's deep-seated and inherent in our genetic makeup.

We are social beings and we have always had the need to regulate our coexistence, long before Christianity came into existence.

And to prove to you that we are moral only when it is convenient for us, I would like you to answer the popular Trolley problem (@photo1)

Imagine it were your son(if you have a male child) on the right hand side of the track in that photo. Would you divert the train to the side where your son is standing, thereby killing him and saving the lives of the 5 people on the other side (which is the morally right thing to do)
Or would you do the reverse? (which is morally wrong)

Since you believe in an afterlife, killiing people should not be such a big deal. grin
It's funny how religious people fear death the most. I also wonder why you cry at burials. Shouldn't you be celebrating the fact that your loved ones are returning to God? grin

Answer this question.

Let's make it more personal now with the Footbridge dilemma (@photo2)

Imagine you were standing on one side of the tracks with your son, would you push him into the oncoming train (which has obviously lost control), thus saving the lives of the 5 people in front of the tracks (which is the morally right thing to do)

As a mother, my first and foremost priority is to save my child's life. If you consider it immoral, blame your Creator for creating motherly instincts as well. wink

Or would you allow the train to kill the 5 people knowing fully well that you could have prevented it by pushing your son onto the tracks (which is morally wrong and a further certification of the innate selfishness, immorality, and debasement of the human nature)

It makes a mother immoral if she does anything to protect her child's life? grin
Typical Christian nonsense with a God who asks people to sacrifice what is dearest to them, their own children because God has a fragile ego and needs people to prove to him that they love him more than anything even though he created them the way they are, weak and immoral. grin

Your answer to the two questions has to be YES or NO. Don't try cutting corners with semantics. Just a simply YES or NO answer would suffice. And think deeply about your answers before proffering them, and also whether they would still be the same if you ever had to make such decision in real life. And don't try lying to me, 'cause as you know I can see directly through your gentle soul grin grin

I would save my child for sure, if that makes me immoral so be it but it's still funny that you consider a motherly instinct immoral when you are certain that there is an afterlife. grin

Give me an answer. . . .don't keep Daddy waiting grin

child's play. wink
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by joseph1832(m): 8:16am On Aug 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

You don't have to believe in God to have a life purpose. Personally, I believe that we are here to feel good and to evolve so that the universe expands like it does.

And we don't have to be 'arrayed in high moral fibre or be altruistic' and we don't need hell to be so.

There is nothing moral about doing what is right just because you fear punishment but it's moral and honourable to do so even if you fear no punishment and expect no reward.
Splendidly put!. We do good and what is right because it feels good. Funny how those who are suppose to be doing the good better than anyone else because of fear of eternal burning are the ones who do the opposite.

1 Like

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 8:19am On Aug 17, 2016
joseph1832:
Splendidly put!. We do good and what is right because it feels good. Funny how those who are suppose to be going the good better than anyone else because of fear of eternal burning are the ones who do the opposite.

Thanks.

It begs the question how some priests were able to abuse little boys on the church's premises and it begs the question how people can kill other people in the name of God.

I do good because it feels good and because I know that it pays off, not in the afterlife but now!

1 Like

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Seun(m): 8:31am On Aug 17, 2016
wirinet:

I dont really understand how what you did in 2007 is different from what we are advocating here (coming out of the closet and speaking out). I have read stories of people who said the confrontational atheists were the catalysts for their conversion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by joseph1832(m): 8:34am On Aug 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

Thanks.
Oh you're always welcome. smiley

It begs the question how some priests were able to abuse little boys on the church's premises and it begs the question how people can kill other people in the name of God.
Well it's not the priests doing, it's the devil's doing. Funny how they always blame that guy for every evil they always and will ever do.

I bet if a priest sodomize a lil boy in the Vatican, and he's taken before a court, and asked: "how do you plead" he replies "I plead not guilty, it's the devil's fault". Wham! He'll be discharged and acquitted. grin

I do good because it feels good and because I know that it pays off, not in the afterlife but now!
Exactly. Sooner or later, people will see that doing good is good business.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 8:40am On Aug 17, 2016
joseph1832:
Oh you're always welcome. smiley

Well it's not the priests doing, it's the devil's doing. Funny how they always blame that guy for every evil they always and will ever do.

I bet if a priest sodomize a lil boy in the Vatican, and he's taken before a court, and asked: "how do you plead" he replies "I plead not guilty, it's the devil's fault". Wham! He'll be discharged and acquitted. grin

Exactly. Sooner or later, people will see that doing good is good business.

grin grin grin

It's ok to do evil. You just need to go to church, confess and repent and you are good again. grin
Whatever you do, just repent afterwards and everything will be fine. You will be even celebrated for wrestling the devil to the ground.

Moreover, you have proven the All-Knowing that you are worthy because the All-Knowing didn't know it all before. grin grin grin
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by joseph1832(m): 8:50am On Aug 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

grin grin grin

It's ok to do evil. You just need to go to church, confess and repent and you are good again. grin
Whatever you do, just repent afterwards and everything will be fine. You will be even celebrated for wrestling the devil to the ground.
Yes. Go to confession everyday and immediately after confessing, go back to your evil.

"Father forgive me for I have sinned"

"Confess your sins and it will be forgiven".

"I planted a nuke in a orphanage as a result, killed millions of people".

Let's see if the reverend father will be able to say "your sins are forgiven, go and sin no more". grin grin

Moreover, you have proven the All-Knowing that you are worthy because the All-Knowing didn't know it all before. grin grin grin
Rather it makes the all knowing seem pretty confuse, don't you think?.

Really this religious folks clearly need brain transplant. It still baffles me how they will say they are this and do contrary to what that thing they say they are preach.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 8:56am On Aug 17, 2016
joseph1832:
Yes. Go to confession everyday and immediately after confessing, go back to your evil.

"Father forgive me for I have sinned"

"Confess your sins and it will be forgiven".

"I planted a nuke in a orphanage as a result, killed millions of people".

Let's see if the reverend father will be able to say "your sins are forgiven, go and sin no more". grin grin

Rather it makes the all knowing seem pretty confuse, don't you think?.

Really this religious folks clearly need brain transplant. It still baffles me how they will say they are this and do contrary to what that thing they say they are preach.

grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 9:47am On Aug 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

I was born into a Christian family and as much as I believe that Jesus was a cool, revolutionary and extraordinary personality, I don't buy the rest of the fairytales (except for some historical accounts) written in the Bible.I believe in God but I am not an adherent of any religion and very happy with it

In other words you're a theist with no belief in any of the gods that are worshipped today. Just so you know, I feel the same way too, but I stayed true to Catholicism because it's saner than the rest and because it has served as an efficient medium to God.

Are you sure?

As sure as eggs is eggs.

Even if money can vanish, it means something to us. Relationships can mean heartbreaks and yet most of us strive to maintain them
And yes, eating and sleeping is very purposeful. Try not to.wink

People that feel the need to be emotionally dependent on others you mean to say. Not everyone feels the need. Not everyone fancies emotional baggage.

Eating and sleeping? Like seriously? I'm talking about humanity's purpose on earth and you're talking about eating and sleeping? Why not say breathing as well. You're trivializing this discourse.

Nairalanding is very purposeful as well

Nairaland is purposeful in keeping your finger on the pulse of Nigerian news, and also to blow off steam. But it isn't the purpose of humanity on earth, which was my initial question. You are terribly tergiversating.

the point is that not every human being needs to have prospects of an afterlife to feel that their life is purposeful

Fine, that's why I said we can always agree to disagree.

The key word here is TO YOU but it's wrong to assume that everyone needs to hope for an afterlife to enjoy their life

Did you miss the part where I said that my claims were subjective?

And just as it is wrong for me to assume that everyone needs to hope for an afterlife to lead a purposeful life, so also is it wrong for you to assume otherwise.

I have already explained it. I am a retired Christian. I believe in God and I distance myself from religions because they don't make sense at all

Can I also take you to court for the crimes that your ancestors comitted? grin Nonsense!

You can take me to court on the grounds of vicarious liability grin

It's not only you who has had such experience, I experience it on a daily basis. wink

If you experience it then how can you not look at others who haven't—probably out of their non-belief in God—and not feel complete pity for them or consider their existence to be without purpose?

You attach too much importance to material things. That's your problem.

For sure but I could be your mama if I started early enough

This statement is too ambiguous. Clarify please. Which one is mama abeg? grin

First, whether it's better to believe in God or not is a personal decision and choice.
Secondly, the notion that it is too late for anything when you die not believing in God is part of your Christian belief system that uses fear as an effective tool to scare people into buying all theit nonsense

Why the affront on Christianity?, especially when I never tried to make a case for it on this thread? Ad Hominem sniping do not bode well for your argument.

I am a woman of faith, not a woman of fear. I don't believe in a God who punishes people for the mistakes other people made a million of years ago

Unlike you I don't see it as punishment. I see it as a fire-test, a test of character and faith.

You said you believe in GOD, but do not believe in a God that punishes people for the mistakes of their forefathers. Fine!! then why did the God you believe in put you in a turbulent world—a world filled with vices, war, terrorism, pedophilia, serial killer and rapists?

How is the god (the one you believe in) that placed you amidst these whirlpool of calamities any different from the one that punishes people for the deeds of their forefathers as you erroneously posited?

and you have absolutely no proof that anyone will be punished for believing what they do except for your Bible that is illogical and contradictory in itself

Like I said earlier, I never made a case for Christianity here. All these affronts on the Bible and Christianity are uncalled for.

Anyone who believes in a punitive, revengeful, ego-driven God. That's certainly not me

Yet you say you believe in a god (and distance yourself from religion)

Once again, how is that your God that created you to live in a world brimming with wickedness any different from the so-called 'punitive, revengeful, ego-driven God'? As you can see, our gods are bedfellows? Probably twin brothers grin

I can enjoy chatting with you NOW even if there is no tomorrow. Whether I believe in eternity or not has no impact on me enjoying whatever I do TODAY.
It's not an opinion, it's a fact. You need the belief in an afterlife to feel that your life has a purpose, millions of other people don't[/b]

And millions like me also feel the same way about people who live only for today (without consideration for tomorrow) and who do not believe in God or have any hope of an afterlife. We see them as people existing for the mere fun of it and that there's no substance to there existence. So it's a 50-50 situation.

You said that we need to believe in God and fear punishment to do good and that implies that only religious folks have morality when it's clearly not so.

That's not what I said. I was talking about morality in generally, and that it is but a sham.

Look at the comment I first made that bordered on morality:

darkenedrebel:

Psychology made us understand that people are not necessarily moral. They are only afraid of the punishments that they'll face when they break a rule, or are in most cases just too cowardly to break the rule i.e fear of getting caught are also why people adhere to rules, and not necessarily because they naturally have a predilection towards being moral and upright

Did I mention any thing like religion or God in that comment? Dyslexia's a bîtch grin

I don'T need search engines to counter your point that we need religion to be moral. wink

As I said above, I said nothing of this sort. Only God knows where you're getting all these from.

Actually most people are considered to be at the stage of conventional morality, not in Nigeria though. grin

Actually most people are not. Most people only conform to rules for fear of either being punished or being caught. That's de facto.

WTF? grin
Christians have plundered and killed many peoples in the name of their religion. Are you seriously telling me that you don't know about the crimes committed in the name of Christianity? ISIS is a kindegarten club compared to what Christians did to peoples around the world

We are not talking about Christians or Moslems here, but the savagery and egocentric nature of humans in general.

Your comprehension ability seems to be on the fritz this morning. What happened? You didn't get enough sleep or what? grin grin

Whether there is or not, I know plenty of atheists who are morally better developed than religious people.
Again, if religion made people act right Nigeria would be a holy place. grin

Once again I never said religion made people act right. You're committing the Straw man fallacy here.

I said the threat of sanction contained in our laws and rules are why we have morality, and not because it is innately in the human nature to be moral. Try to understand me before giving quick-whir responses.

We are social beings and we have always had the need to regulate our coexistence, long before Christianity came into existence

Yes, and we created laws to regulate our coexistence, and the punishment meted out to defaulters who break these rules are what compelled people to be morally upright, and not because it is innately in our nature. That's my point, a simple point you're not getting.

Since you believe in an afterlife, killiing people should not be such a big deal. grin

Unlawful killings, homicide, and by extension, suicide, is a big deal because it is a crime against humanity. Natural and unavoidable deaths is not a big deal. The lord giveth and the lord taketh away grin

It's funny how religious people fear death the most

Hasty generalization. Where is your proof? Any statistics to validate this spurious, obnoxious statement. . .?

I also wonder why you cry at burials. Shouldn't you be celebrating the fact that your loved ones are returning to God? grin

I get it. You're just being purposely ridiculous to frustrate me. Not gonna happen grin grin

As a mother, my first and foremost priority is to save my child's life If you consider it immoral, blame your Creator for creating motherly instincts as well. wink

You saved your child first because selfishness is ingrained in the human nature, and because we are not innately moral or public-spirited. That's the plain truth, stop trying to justify your actions with that motherly instinct crap. cool

Are you a mother to only your child? A mother is meant to be a mother to all. Or are the lives of the other 5 innocent people worth less than the life of your child?

It makes a mother immoral if she does anything to protect her child's life? grin

It makes her self-centered if she cannot sacrifice the life of her child to save the lives of 5 people. Where is the commonweal in her actions? Isn't her motherly instincts supposed to spread across to other people as well? A mother is meant to be a mother for all, not just for one.

You just confirmed the innate selfishness of the human nature with your answer, and that morality is a sham. Thank you for making me win this debate so easily cool grin

[s]typical Christian nonsense with a God who asks people to sacrifice what is dearest to them, their own children because God has a fragile ego and needs people to prove to him that they love him more than anything even though he created them the way they are, weak and immoral. grin[/s]

Look at you . . .yelping like a cornered and wounded fox. You're only ranting 'cause you fell into my trap grin

All I asked for you to solve the Trolley problem and the Footbridge dilemma, wetin concern the Christian God with that one? grin

I got you when I wanted. . .right up in the jugular grin grin

I would save my child for sure, if that makes me immoral so be it but it's still funny that you consider a motherly instinct immoral when you are certain that there is an afterlife. grin
child's play. wink

You would save your child because of motherly instinct. Motherly instinct is biological and extremely normal, and from an isolationist point of view(one void of religious bias or the 'false sense of morality we've been dappled in for centuries) I'd say you made the right decision by disregarding the lives of the other 5 people and allowing your motherly instinct survival-of-the-fittest instinct to decide your decision-making process. Kudos once again, and you've only proven me right: morality is a sham because humans are self-centered and innately immoral. grin

I only asked you to field those two questions to point out to you that we are not moral or public-spirited by nature. Morality is/was an artificially-induced social conditioning, and accreditation has to go to Theism (not Christianity) for this 'false sense of morality' that has kept humanity extant and in one piece.

1 Like

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Crixina(f): 9:50am On Aug 17, 2016
So Seun is an atheist?

I never knew.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nowenuse: 10:16am On Aug 17, 2016
Geofavor:
You've just said what has been on my mind for some time now.

A lot of people keep their cool because of their because of their religious beliefs. Take that away, and this world won't contain us anymore.

Everyone would define what is good and bad in his or her own way.

For example, Since there is no god( hence no eternal punishment), some people might think it okay to kill people for fun.

Just imagine a world where no one believes in any god; anything will go in that kinda world. Religion actually keeps the world in check.

The world operates based on the rules of religion. Although some of their rules are absurd, every religion preaches peace in one way or the other. And most people easily adhere to it because they believe it was set by one supreme being or the other. Now, If -- in a world where no one beliefs in a supreme being -- we humans decide to make a peace rule, it will not hold. No one would step down for anyone, No one would want to serve anyone and so on.

Religion is one of the factors that keep this world balanced. Take it out, and humanity is doomed!

Let's just leave people to believe what they want and try to be good people.

I am a religious person but i do not think that the fear of religion is really what brings morality and good character to a society. Law and law enforcement is what makes a society stable.

No matter the religion in a society, if there are no legal laws, the society will still be in shambles.
Imagine a religion like christianity where i can kill someone and my enemies would be told to forgive me jn return and pray for me and leave my judgement to God on the day of judgement......... If this is the kind of belief in a country without law, how chaotic do u think such a country would become?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 10:26am On Aug 17, 2016
darkenedrebel:

Please modify your last post so that I can quote it properly.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply)

Pastor Sam Adeyemi Celebrates His Father, Stephen Adeyemi, At 85 (Photos) / Muslims Provide Security For Christians At Christmas Service In Kaduna / Adeboye: I Am Sure HID Awolowo Is In Heaven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 200
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.