Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,702 members, 7,831,192 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony (45026 Views)

Man Compares Magician Who 'Walks In The Air' To Jesus (Photos) / From Christian Family To Atheism To Jesus Christ: My Explanations / The Failure Of Atheism To Account For Existence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by Nobody: 5:48pm On Aug 17, 2016
habebe1:

This is the arrogance I was referring to.

You guys always seem so angry. Can I ask why? I used to be like that you know, but God has changed all of that. He gives a new heart and spirit.

The seed is sown already. You may not be aware now. Glory be to God.

But never forget that only Jesus can save.
Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by Lovelynature(m): 5:54pm On Aug 17, 2016
winner01:
TheSixthSense, I praise God for your life. I've also been in such a situation. I stem from an islamic background and later professed Christ (after someone preached to me) even though I didnt even know what I was into. I sought to know the reality of the scriptures. Nigerian churches were not helping matters. During my service year, I had to stop going to church because the preaching and testimonies and even seats were clear show off, no single regard for the poor and needy. They had few churches around and most were the same. I remember my older brother who had just got converted telling me to just seek God and keep an open mind. I had told him earlier that i'm okay and I live a good life, I didnt need anybody to tell me what to do.
I didnt want to be affliated with religion or even atheism. I just wanted to be that free intelligent and self-reliant human. My parents also encouraged freedom of religion so that made it easy.

I "enjoyed" my life to the fullest. What we call enjoyment is actually killing us. I lost 2 of my friends to alcohol. One drowned while drunk, the other died while driving him to the hospital. I remember we had an accident while coming back from a club in lagos, the car summersaulted from overspeeding, no one was injured, we all got down laughing at our drunk friends who drove.

Recently one of my very close friends called me to tell me that she does not have a womb anymore. Do I need to talk about my battle with glaucoma. Most of the friends that I had are either addicts of alcohol, marijuana e.t.c. So I smile when atheists are telling me to enjoy my life. I actually live a better life right now than the sick, unrestrained and devil controlled life I've lived as a young man. I've noticed that the devil is in control of most of the lives of those people who think they are directing themselves.

My being sober still did not lead me to Christ, an ex-cultist made me see the world for what it really is. A man who was active in a spiritual realm controlled by demons started to tell me the inner workings of such government. I started to think to myself "are these things real?"...

Bros, lemme just stop here. I've seen things in this life. I'm more than convinced that Jesus is Lord. Maybe I should just open a thread on why I am a Christian.
Wow! Brother, your post is quite touching. Please do open a thread on this and mention me if possible. I will really like to read the details of this. All glory be to God Almighty.

Jesus is Lord

1 Like

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by thorpido(m): 6:08pm On Aug 17, 2016
TheSixthSense:

You guys always seem so angry. Can I ask why? I used to be like that you know, but God has changed all of that. He gives a new heart and spirit.

You noticed that too?
Oftentimes when there's a question to an atheist,it comes with insults and invectives.

Reminds me everytime of when a demon is being cast out of a demon possessed man- that anger.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 17, 2016
You seem intelligent. I will acknowledge that but if you have noticed, this post isn't about making superior argument about God's existence. I only told my experience about how I found Jesus and my life has changed for the better and how I was foolish all along but couldn't see it. About me being more atheist about others, I don't know but I only assume that if I able articulate whatever I believe in and why and the other person cannot even state what made them become atheists. I have always been and still am interested in knowledge plus I am a scientist in the physical sciences. Highly educated as well with the best ones, that's why I said I probably know more than you about the theories and science that you base your whole existence about. I apologise, if I came off as offensive.

Anyway, about death, I said I was never even threatened by hell or death preaching, I also said death is inevitable. Of course, it is. But now I know better. I live better, with hope, without fear, I have joy, and true peace that doesn't depend on anything but the faithful God. Even if the economy continues in recession. I would be affected but it doesn't take away the joy and peace I have found.

I am only advising, not arguing that Jesus is the solution. That's why I asked, what do you really want in this your only life? Don't you want peace and joy and love?

Jesus would give it to you with eternal life.

I have said numerous times on here. this isn't an argumentative thread. As a former atheist, I know I cannot win anyone over using arguments because atheists always think they are more intelligent. and Yes, there are intelligent ones out there but not all of them. Besides, the bible says unbelievers instantly reject God and His message. It was recalled in a prophecy of Isaiah (Acts 28). But, It is His Spirit that would convict your heart to see the need for repentance to accept Jesus. I am only telling the good news and about the joy and peace Jesus gives that in all my years, and I have been on earth for quite some time, that I have never experienced even at moments when I thought I had everything as a child.

You don't have to believe me but I am grateful to God the seed is sown already. Just seek for the Jesus experience. You will never go back

God bless you

Suspectzero:

Lol another funny thing is you keep going on about how you were more atheist than any other atheist on nairaland. On what basis is this claim found on? Or is it like your Religious claims whereby we are suppose to believe just because you typed it? You haven't demonstrated any knowledge on here. all you've done is claim this and that and then regurgitate the same ol tired things the religious zealots spout.

Death is inevitable. And like most other people who are not depressed/suicidal, i do not want to go before i have to (which is natural old age death). As animals we are programmed biologically to ensure our own survival and to propagate our species so excuse me if i am staying true to the human nature.

Lol so you want to play the patronizing game with me. I'm not going to drop a list of my personal desires and life ambitions on here. Although i'm sure you weren't looking for a real answer to your questions. you just wanted to be patronizing and condescending. The last paragraph has you regurgitating more mundane b.s that doesn't really mean anything. Empty words.

3 Likes

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by rhektor(m): 6:11pm On Aug 17, 2016
TheSixthSense:

The highlighted portions are questions that I also asked christians that were concerned about me not going to church and not believing. I also said I wanted a Paul experience before I would believe, but thank God I wasn't blinded. God is merciful. These guys couldn't give answers to my questions and to be honest they really weren't so informed about the religion/God; but they were messengers in God's divine plan for my salvation. They made me ask questions that today by His grace I can answer. I even have a similar post about exclusives of God's on my blog and ever since I challenge myself to try to answer the questions that I had, not because I doubt God or my salvation but because the bible asks us to be always ready to defend the hope that is in us with meekness and fear whenever we are asked(1 Peter 3:9)

To your questions:

What is exclusive to Christians? Is it money, happiness, long life?

None of these things, Joy, yes but not money, not long life.

First, I would like to put it out there that I dislike the prosperity gospel (can I even call it gospel?). That didn't change even after I found Jesus, I only stopped being so judgemental. And I think it is misleading. It tells people that Jesus came to give them money and the good things (wordly desires) in this life. But you don't even have to finish reading all the gospels before you spot the elephant in the room.

Now, I know a lot of people have found Jesus from this kind of teaching, the bible even says 'in pretence and in truth as long as Christ is preached'(Phil 1:18) but it is the most shallow kind of doctrine there is. Was Jesus a show off? Was he proud? Did he brag about his ministry or His miracles? Did he ever promise to make his followers rich? I'm sure your answers are the same as mine.

Christianity is living like Jesus Christ and the handbook is the new testament. It is a life of restraint, self-control, love, kindness, humility, forgiveness, peace, hope. It is not easy carrying your cross, but it is the most fulfilling kind of life anyone can ever live and it is by the Holy Spirit we can be able to live like this. By ourselves, we cannot. An unbeliever, cannot overcome sin by theirselves. That is exactly why Jesus came to save us because it leads to destruction. He sets people free from bondage, addiction, anything one may be struggling with. He is a God of miracles. The bible also instructs us on marriage and daily living which I believe covers business running too.

I sense your idea of christianity is the madness that drove me to become an atheist. Don't give up on God, search for Him and He will open your eyes to see that what you think is enjoyment, you can actually live in peace and joy without them and have a strong sense of purpose in your life plus eternal life.

In my blog, I explained four exclusives so far, but there are many more, although I am still learning. Jesus said 'If you love me you would keep My commandments', so these are actually for those that keep His commandments, not religious christians. And they are: Life (Eternal life), Holy Spirit, Dominion, Peace of God, Love (Perfect love), Wisdom, Hope, Faith, Fortitude. These are intangibles that Jesus gives us. He blesses His followers by providing for our needs to be able live in this passing world. But He certainly is the money doubler they now seem to associate with Him.

I will like to visit your blog

2 Likes

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by Nobody: 6:14pm On Aug 17, 2016
True. I used to be like that too. The contrast in my heart now I can't even explain, that's why I am passionate about the good news to them. Anger is of the devil, never of God.
thorpido:
You noticed that too?
Oftentimes when there's a question to an atheist,it comes with insults and invectives.

Reminds me everytime of when a demon is being cast out of a demon possessed man- that anger.
Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by habebe1(m): 6:14pm On Aug 17, 2016
Nah bro I am not angry, if you have followed my post on this your topic you will notice my mention of being happy that you found your "light". But then in the course of our back and forth I mentioned christianity both historically and today being arrogant. And I qoute you here " you are in bondage yourselves without knowing it".

Why do you think a mere mortal like you has such right to tell me I am in bondage? What bondage? Bondaged by who? If you don’t see the arrogance in that then it is quite unfortunate. You choose to follow Jesus and I say no wahala.

I am personally not that intrigued with his time on earth because he did not leave a comprehensive guide to followers. Paul did much of the work. And that is just me. I do not believe or feel tied by anything. Quit the fear mongering abeg. I am not an atheist for your information. This life is not binary number, you must not be zero or one. In my opinion.

=TheSixthSense post=48566643]

But never forget that only Jesus can save.[/quote]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by Emeskhalifa(m): 6:17pm On Aug 17, 2016
bullsh...
didn't even read tht epistle of lubbish.
u were never an atheist.
there are dozens of atheists out there who don't drink and womanize.
ohhh......wah bou som ppl in ur this so called faith tht drink and womanise??
are they atheists in disguise
smh....they've finally won u over to mental slavery... sad smh
Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by Nobody: 6:19pm On Aug 17, 2016
Hmajeed:

You've really exerted effort at comprehending the Concept of Religion ... But have you ever studied about Islam or Prophet Muhammad beyond the one the Media portrays, a Google search would do.
I am sure you won't regret doing so, while I assure you that you will find the tranquility you so much desire

Here is a link http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/496/why-islam/ .
I pray you find answers to all questions running in your mind.
I leave you with the message of peace.

Thanks but I will pass. My God is my friend, Father, Saviour, Healer, Provider, Deliverer, Teacher, Comforter, and Love. He died for me and He lives in me and is also coming back again. Why should I abandon these for yours that is just up there?

2 Likes

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 17, 2016
TheSixthSense:

Hope you said what I challenged you to say. Please do. It would save your life.

You joke with things you know nothing about. If you read my post (Part 2), you would know that you attract the demonic by some 'fun' actions you think are harmless. People make blood sacrifices to the devil, they kill babies, they carry out blood rituals. Do you doubt that too? Use google, you can even watch videos. If you also doubt their experiences, you can invite them consciously. Maybe then you would know that it is only Jesus that can save. The satanists know God, they never doubt it, in fact they battle against Him, but they know the power in the name of Jesus Christ, they know He is Lord and that He defeated them at the cross.

Please say the prayer I challenged you to say. Like I said this isn't here to prove an argument that is superior. Jesus loves you. Set yourself free.

And please, how can I change my moniker? I can't even change the picture.

This is repetitive and unnecessary. Stop telling me about Jesus and rituals and mysticism. I have no interest.

Like the others in love with your anecdote, your problem is that you have little knowledge of science. So you all fall cheaply for supernatural stuff.

Go and read some real books! Feynman's Physics lectures is a good start for a beginner.

As for the moniker, I also thought it's something you could change. Guess I'm stuck with my moniker! smiley
Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by Nobody: 6:21pm On Aug 17, 2016
habebe1:
Nah bro I am not angry, if you have followed my post on this your topic you will notice my mention of being happy that you found your "light". But then in the course of our back and forth I mentioned christianity both historically and today being arrogant. And I qoute you here " you are in bondage yourselves without knowing it".

Why do you think a mere mortal like you has such right to tell me I am in bondage? What bondage? Bondaged by who? If you don’t see the arrogance in that then it is quite unfortunate. You choose to follow Jesus and I say no wahala.

I am personally not that intrigued with his time on earth because he did not leave a comprehensive guide to followers. Paul did much of the work. And that is just me. I do not believe or feel tied by anything. Quit the fear mongering abeg. I am not an atheist for your information. This life is not binary number, you must not be zero or one. In my opinion.

=TheSixthSense post=48566643]

I apologise if I said that. But I said I was like you in unbelief but now I know I was in bondage all along by sin. We were slaves of sin before God found us. I told you that you cannot live the christian life without the Spirit of God, if you doubt then can I challenge you stop every habit that you know is wrong for the rest of your life. You should know them and I don't have to know about them. Personal challenge.
Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by Nobody: 6:26pm On Aug 17, 2016
LucifersTongue:

This is repetitive and unnecessary. Stop telling me about Jesus and rituals and mysticism. I have no interest.

Like the others in love with your anecdote, your problem is that you have little knowledge of science. So you all fall cheaply for supernatural stuff.

Go and read some real books! Feynman's Physics lectures is a good start for a beginner.

As for the moniker, I also thought it's something you could change. Guess I'm stuck with my moniker! smiley

I am a scientist, are you?
Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by salt1: 6:27pm On Aug 17, 2016
adjoviomole:
What's the name of the church.

From u wot u said,its like a church I know. Wen u step in d ushers will welcome u n direct u to ur sit, they don't clap,they only say amen. N dey play instruments such as,violin,viola,flute,trumpet no drumset.

My experience was almost similar to op's.
I was disgusted with the commercialization that I saw in the pentecostal church where I was attending. To make matters worse, I was exposed to Darwinian evolution, Christian Science and so much stuff that I became confused. I decided to quit Christianity and just try to be good.
That was when I met the people you quoted above. No collection plates, no donations or tithe cards. Emphasis on your getting to know God personally. I decided to try praying. I just told God, alone on my own, that if He can make Himself real to me so that I don't doubt His existence anymore, then I will worship Him.
It's difficult to explain what really happened but such overwhelming peace and joy filled me that I felt like I was floating on air. And it wasn't just a day's experience, but even when I have challenges and pray, the peace overwhelms me.
Atheism challenges the intellect but there are other facets of our humanity that natural science cannot explain. I watched a video recently where the poster boy for Atheism, Richard Dawkins was now confessing that he believes in intelligent design. So much for those he led astray!

4 Likes

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by Nobody: 6:30pm On Aug 17, 2016
God bless you bro you found Jesus. Spread the good news of Christ.
salt1:

I was disgusted with the commercialization that I saw in the pentecostal church where I was attending. To make matters worse, I was exposed to Darwinian evolution, Christian Science and so much stuff that I became confused. I decided to quit Christianity and just try to be good.
That was when I met the people you quoted above. No collection plates, no donations or tithe cards. Emphasis on your getting to know God personally. I decided to try praying. I just told God, alone on my own, that if He can make Himself real to me so that I don't doubt His existence anymore, then I will worship Him.
It's difficult to explain what really happened but such overwhelming peace and joy filled me that I felt like I was floating on air. And it wasn't just a day's experience, but even when I have challenges and pray, the peace overwhelms me.
Atheism challenges the intellect but there are other facets of our humanity that natural science cannot explain. I watched a video recently where the poster boy for Atheism, Richard Dawkins was now confessing that he believes in intelligent design. So much for those he led astray!

4 Likes

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 17, 2016
TheSixthSense, you write so well and had me riveted to the spot all through. I read this from top to rock bottom. . . . . . .this is a treasure trove. I suggest you write a book—a semi-autobiography. The title is apt: from atheism to Jesus.

This in particular gave me a beat of nerves because I've had these same thoughts in the past:

"Another thing, I have been an atheist, and to be honest, there’s nothing to it other than you look intelligent to other dissidents, but it is hollow, something missing, there is a void, you may not know now until you switch to the Lord’s side. Also, when you get faced with challenges and storms of life it is your spirit that fights, not your intelligence.

cc: Mindfulness. . . . .you've got to check out this thread.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by adjoviomole(m): 6:39pm On Aug 17, 2016
salt1:

I attend the apostolic faith church anyways.

2 Likes

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by salt1: 6:39pm On Aug 17, 2016
TheSixthSense:
God bless you bro you found Jesus. Spread the good news of Christ.

I am trying my best. One of the most amazing things is that sometimes I don't even preach to people. They just come to me and say there's something about you that draws me. Something calm and peaceful. You see, God changed me from being quarrelsome, greedy and grasping to being compassionate and humble.
So instead of sacrificing any 'enjoyment ' I am actually enjoying a reputation of high integrity, trust and dependability which I didn't have before.
The hope of heaven is just the icing on the cake! It's already such a fantastic life here

4 Likes

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by salt1: 6:41pm On Aug 17, 2016
adjoviomole:

I attend the apostolic faith church anyways.

Really?
Which branch?
I worship at Anthony Headquarters
Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by SuperSupremo(m): 6:45pm On Aug 17, 2016
thorpido:
You quote the bible but because you won't be honest,you close your eyes to what you should see.
In the bolded part you quoted,Jesus said,'Verily verily,I say on to you,I can of my own self do nothing but what I see the Father do,for whatsoever the father doeth,even so doeth the Son likewise John 5:19
Did you see that the Son does?

You can't know God without having a fellowship with Jesus.Except the God Who sent Jesus is not the One you know.
(many think they know Him).
Well done.Even though it's only one out of many you attempted to answer but you are still wrong.

*If you say jesus is in God and God is in jesus then how come jesus have to wait and see what God's action before he follow?

*And for being sons of God millions are called sons of God in the bible dozens of centuries before baby jesus was born

*Joseph and Ephraim was called sons of God dozens of centuries before jesus.

*Jesus's speech was only meant for ancient Jews and not to the whole world as jesus testified that he is sent for the only lost sheeps of Israel, which you and I are not among.

*Only Mohammed (SWAS) was sent to the whole mankind and in fact demons and all living things.

*Jesus never told his disciples to pray in his name too.

*Jesus disciples called him servant of God,not son of God.

*Jesus said he is not a good master,but the only good master is God Almighty.

why do you find it difficult to worship the perfect God that jesus clearly worshipped
Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by Moisef(f): 6:45pm On Aug 17, 2016
TheSixthSense:

God bless you. Thanks a lot.
pls can you continue your story and if you dont mind what's the name of your church?... The Prince of peace has used your story to rekindle my love for him today... Even in the midst of my storm I can hear him say "Peace be still"... May God continue to empower you.

6 Likes

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by anochuko01(m): 6:47pm On Aug 17, 2016
habebe1:

@anochuko01. Hi, much thanks for pointing out what you think is exclusive to christians. The Holy Spirit you said. And you went ahead to list the fru. s that come with being in the spirit to include being free of sin. love, joy, peace, patience etc.

But I throw the question to you again differently, is it only christians that possess these virtue. Are you aware tha. one can be morally upright and be happy, peaceful, kind, gentle etc without knowing Jesus? I am not here to bash christianity, I have grown past that stage and abhor people who do. Nevertheless Christians and their Islamic cousins really need to start believin. that there are different ways people choose to live their lives. The arrogance of feeling exclusive for benefits which are actually there for everyone who works hard for it is annoying.

If a Jamaican rastafarian decides to smoke some herbs and chill by the lovely beaches in Jaimaica while sipping some coconut water, that feeling for him although not numerically measurable could actually feel better than when some folks here get into the Spirit amd speak in tongues. I am just saying different strokes for different folks. From what I understand Op was searching for something deep, and after some trial and error decided Christ is best for him and once again I say I am happy for him. Thank you

Firstly, no man gets the spirit of God by whatever efforts...coz its delivered by Christ himself.
Secondly, we all have what seems to be ''good deeds'' perhaps through our background and family values, which even happens to be so simply because we had Christian parents. Before I accepted Christ, I hardly curse, I didn't smoke, drink or party. I never had the courage to engage in promiscuity. was a porn addict. I even had a gf for two years and we never kissed, let alone sex. I never stole from outside, I even returned ''extra change'' from items bought. However, I was very good at keeping grudges, was a porn addict, and I stole from parents. But after accepting Christ, I now live as if i never had those challenges. Its like theres something in me that naturally repels or stop my eyes from looking at half naked girls on the streets and on TV. I also noticed that when I try to stop spending time with God, I begin to lose the power over those bad stuffs. Also, the emptiness in me disappeared and I had a great joy that had absolutely nothing to do with money, position or whatever.

A guy who later became my closest pal in class as an undergraduate used to be the No6 in a cult group in our 200level. He somehow found himself in church one day, and there was a prophecy about REVELATIONS 22:12 ''BEHOLD I COME QUICKLY. AND MY REWARD IS WITH ME, TO GIVE TO EACH MAN ACCORDING AS IS WORK SHALL BE''. He never had peace until he surrenderd to Christ. You really need to see how he's enjoying divine peace now.

Lemme quickly tell you how I encountered Christ, my experience isn't so mind blowing coz God knew exactly what I needed. I had just gained admission into the higher institution and was planning how to live my own kinda life. One day I just had a dream where somebody told me ''BETTER SERVE GOD NOW BEFORE IT GETS TOO LATE''. it wasnt a coincidence, God had it planed. Maybe someone was praying for me somewhere. Before then I never ever took a dream serious but that one was always ringing in my heart till I surrendered.

The power to overcome the dominion of all wrong-doings is something only Christ can give.
Finally, bible says ''there's a way that seems right to a man, but the end is destruction'' PROVERBS 14:12
So we should rather seek for that road that seem ''wrong'' to us but end in LIFE.
Jesus is THE WAY, TRUTH AND LIFE....

5 Likes

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by mecussey(m): 6:48pm On Aug 17, 2016
winner01:
TheSixthSense, I praise God for your life. I've also been in such a situation. I stem from an islamic background and later professed Christ (after someone preached to me) even though I didnt even know what I was into. I sought to know the reality of the scriptures. Nigerian churches were not helping matters. During my service year, I had to stop going to church because the preaching and testimonies and even seats were clear show off, no single regard for the poor and needy. They had few churches around and most were the same. I remember my older brother who had just got converted telling me to just seek God and keep an open mind. I had told him earlier that i'm okay and I live a good life, I didnt need anybody to tell me what to do.
I didnt want to be affliated with religion or even atheism. I just wanted to be that free intelligent and self-reliant human. My parents also encouraged freedom of religion so that made it easy.

I "enjoyed" my life to the fullest. What we call enjoyment is actually killing us. I lost 2 of my friends to alcohol. One drowned while drunk, the other died while driving him to the hospital. I remember we had an accident while coming back from a club in lagos, the car summersaulted from overspeeding, no one was injured, we all got down laughing at our drunk friends who drove.

Recently one of my very close friends called me to tell me that she does not have a womb anymore. Do I need to talk about my battle with glaucoma. Most of the friends that I had are either addicts of alcohol, marijuana e.t.c. So I smile when atheists are telling me to enjoy my life. I actually live a better life right now than the sick, unrestrained and devil controlled life I've lived as a young man. I've noticed that the devil is in control of most of the lives of those people who think they are directing themselves.

My being sober still did not lead me to Christ, an ex-cultist made me see the world for what it really is. A man who was active in a spiritual realm controlled by demons started to tell me the inner workings of such government. I started to think to myself "are these things real?"...

Bros, lemme just stop here. I've seen things in this life. I'm more than convinced that Jesus is Lord. Maybe I should just open a thread on why I am a Christian.

Yes, try open am...You will convert some pple in the process. Devil dey inside anything drug. My own alcohol intake no be here ooo but I do all I can to avoid sin and nonesense life. What devil offer to pple is fake enjoyment life with pride and ego, nothing else. As a science student my self, i know every thing has opposite, evidence of God's existence is simple... the devil. The devil is everywhere manipulating pple with his small power. Sure God must be everywhere as well.
Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by adjoviomole(m): 6:48pm On Aug 17, 2016
salt1:

Really? Which branch? I worship at Anthony Headquarters
Ebutemetta. Are u @ camp meeting?

1 Like

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by Nobody: 6:52pm On Aug 17, 2016
TheSixthSense:

I am a scientist, are you?

Lol. Supernaturalist scientist. Na wa o! A scientist who favors miracles etc over conservation laws. How do you reconcile the scientific method with knowledge from your supernaturalism view When will you publish your peer reviewed results on the "successful" tests of various supernaturalist claims?

Yes. I am. CMP and materials science is my field.
Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by salt1: 6:53pm On Aug 17, 2016
adjoviomole:

Ebutemetta. Are u @ camp meeting?
Yes I am. Will send you a pm
Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by DrMaths(m): 6:57pm On Aug 17, 2016
Obeenah40
Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by anochuko01(m): 7:00pm On Aug 17, 2016
It used to sound like gibberish to me, but i later found in it joy and peace thats beyond riches and human understanding.

HEBREWS 4:2 SAYS
''We have heard the same Good News that your ancestors heard. But the message didn't help those who heard it in the past because they didn't believe''

Ranchhoddas:
If I got a penny for every time I heard this, I would not be as poor as I am right now.

1 Like

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by horlumiday(m): 7:13pm On Aug 17, 2016
Emeskhalifa:
bullsh...
didn't even read tht epistle of lubbish.
u were never an atheist.
there are dozens of atheists out there who don't drink and womanize.
ohhh......wah bou som ppl in ur this so called faith tht drink and womanise??
are they atheists in disguise
smh....they've finally won u over to mental slavery... sad smh

You think Christians are slaves to rules.. nahh.. the real slavery is sin.. Living
for Jesus is a privilege..

3 Likes

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 17, 2016
joseph1832:
Really? And I suppose your way is all knowing?
Yes. Any religion that's not islam is ignorance

If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah., never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter He will be in the ranks of those who have lost (All spiritual good). (Surah Al-Imran, 85)
Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by joseph1832(m): 7:28pm On Aug 17, 2016
MuhdG:

Yes. Any religion that's not islam is ignorance

If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah., never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter He will be in the ranks of those who have lost (All spiritual good). (Surah Al-Imran, 85)
"Absolutism is the presence concrete narrow mindedness". -Joseph1832.
Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 17, 2016
TheSixthSense:
Part 2: Road to Redemption

That I didn’t believe in God anymore didn’t make me a ‘moral' person, it wasn’t even like I was man of good ‘moral’ standing before I became an atheist but I would easily pass as one, probably from my appearance and the way I speak. But I was lonely - I’m still sort of a loner now but I certainly know the difference - an alcoholic - pretty normal in Nigeria now so we don’t see it as a problem, smoked heavily, had a heart filled with darkness but for the sake of anonymity I leave out the rest.

I also opened up to a lot of mystical beliefs, there had to be a bit of truth in everything other than christianity, Zodiac, psychic reading, law of attraction, New age positive thinking, and zen relaxation. Simply put, I was miles from being a good/nice guy, so becoming an atheist didn’t necessarily give me a pass to live as I please because I don’t think I had much of a conscience at that point-, it was for reasons I mentioned in part 1. But it actually created more room, and so I could clear out the remaining bit of conscience left, without premeditation, I would often argue against religion being the basis for morality like Richard Dawkins would, saying that morality isn’t from God/religion rather it’s by living by the ‘golden rule’ ‘do unto others what you would to yourself’

Anyway, my road to redemption started after I watched the movie 'The Conjuring’ not that I am a movie person but what sparked my interest was that it was based on a true story. So I got the book about the protagonists in the movie 'The Demonologist: The Extraordinary Career of Ed and Loraine Warren.’ It describes the preternatural the way it can be understood by non-religious people, because it isn’t a religious book in itself. It explains the phenomena from personal experiences as demonologists (study of spirits), and I found that they keep an occult museum where they display paraphernalia such as photos, recordings, and objects from every case, for exhibition. Some quotes from the book: ‘Some of the objects and amulets stored are so negatively ‘charged’ that just by holding one of the items it is possible to provoke the original spirit to manifest or cause possession to occur instantly’ ‘there is the long black spike a satanic witch used long ago to murder her newborn infant as a sacrifice to the devil' also skulls as chalices for drinking blood etc were being kept in the museum. Now, I didn’t need to go to the museum to find out if they were true or not, I was just utterly disgusted by even reading about them.

In fact, if you get to that point in the book, you would have gotten a vivid picture of the wickedness and darkness people get involved with. How people can in the convenience of their bedroom summon/invoke all the evil in the world by simple rituals or simply attract them in ignorance by their actions. So that when you hear a christian say God said ‘The heart of man is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked’ you cannot help but agree in your unbelief.

Anyway, having read and seen all that, I realised I had no spirit in me and had being in denial all along, without even knowing. And oh how vulnerable I was to the whims of the wicked. It was obvious that living in denial does not disprove anything but rather keeps one uninformed - but I love being informed- and unprepared if/when one encounters the phenomenon being denied and in the case of these demonic spirits, vulnerable. But it also makes you reflect too, because it also explains how people invite these unclean spirits sometimes from seemingly benign habits.

Now, the book doesn’t tell you to accept Jesus or anything like that, it just advises to steer clear of Ouija boards, spell books, necromancers, and objects you don’t understand. But it affirmed the power of the name of Jesus Christ and God, prayer and religious objects as the only things that overcome the most evil of these inhuman spirits.

Excerpts: “...A particularly striking aspect to demoniacal phenomena is that the demonic spirit is actually moved to violence when exposed to religious articles, the recitation of prayers, or reference to God or Jesus Christ…the subject is not religious because I say it is or as I may want to believe, it is religious because that’s the only power that it - the demonic spirit - responds to. People might not believe in God but these spirits do…there is simply no secular - that is, no non-religious - explanation for these spirits' existence.”

Having realised my spiritlessness, even if I did, I certainly wasn’t using it at all. So, I wrote a simple sincere letter to God, funny but I did, asking for my spirit to be resurrected then I shoved it somewhere and forgot about it. I thought, just as conveniently as some people would summon spirits of darkness and control them to do what they want, seeking the more powerful God in your convenience would be better, plus I am sure He wouldn’t ask for blood rituals and the sorts. He is not like that

Now, I have read quite a number of books in my life, but for some reason I kept having a strong gut feeling, for the first time in decades, that it wasn’t a coincidence that I was reading the book at the time. So, I re-downloaded the bible app, I deleted when I became an atheist, on my phone - there has to be immense power in it, it isn’t all fairy tales. However, I didn’t know which book or chapter to open to. But for some reason Psalm 51 crossed my mind. And behold:

“Purge me with Hyssop, and I shall be clean; Wash me, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me hear joy and gladness, that the bones You have broken may rejoice. Hide Your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and uphold me by Your generous Spirit. Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, then sinners would be converted to You. Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God, the God of my salvation, and my tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness.”Ps 51:7-14

I read it over and over again. 'Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and uphold me by Your generous Spirit’ resonated so much in me. It was as if a different part of me had come alive. I could feel repentance in my spirit. I felt sorry. And in my heart I said Lord, I knew You as a child, what have I done with my life? what did I get involved in? And if there is anything to go by from the book I read is that I had opened portals from my actions. Oh! hide Your face from my sins and blot out my iniquities.

Then, I went on youtube and saw a video about a man, John Ramires I think, who was so deep in the occult that later got saved by Jesus Christ. You know youtube, so I watched a series of dead-people-coming-back-to-life videos, but one striking one was that of Ian McCormack (a former atheist who repented at the point of death) died went to heaven, saw the glory of Jesus, and returned to life in the morgue.

A common observation about these videos, is that while they may describe hell as a horrible place of eternal torment sorrow, fear and death, when they try describe the glory of Jesus Christ, they cry in awe for lack of words to describe the glory, joy, peace and love associated with it even after many years of their return to life. I don’t know about you, but when I see men especially ones who had perpetrated so much evil cry when trying to describe the glory of Jesus, you know that is no joke. Prior to this, I never knew a lot of people had died and returned (NDEs, you may call it) from many countries. If you doubt someone’s experience in Australia maybe you should try Nigeria. Atheists, muslims, pagans all tell of Jesus, hell and heaven. They are not all crazy I would believe.

So, I prayed with the CBN guys on Youtube, but I thought that wasn’t real enough, I need to have witnesses like in an actual altar call. So I prayed to God asking for a church to go to because the only ones I knew were one of those I earlier described. But at that point I would have gone to one of those anyway, as long as I can get to know Jesus. Then, the next day, on my way to the market to get stuff, I got handed a flyer. It was an invitation for a revival service, so I decided to go. I found it was a small church, hard to find even and in my utmost religiosity, I don’t think I would have found it.

Now, prior to this, I had been a lot of churches from catholic, anglican, methodist, lutheran, baptist, to numerous pentecostals because I had convinced myself that they were simply social gatherings anyway, by the way these ‘christians’ behave. But this one was different, from the moment I stepped in, I was more welcome than any other I had previously been in. But that wasn’t the highlight, it was the sermon. It was as direct as spear, it was a message for me and it was as if the preacher knew I was going be there. Also two verses from scripture I knew as a child kept coming to my mind John 8:32 ’Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free’ and John 8:36 ’So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.’ Then there was an altar call, it was my moment, and I answered.

** Note, I am not endorsing my church, saying that it is better than yours, maybe God led me there because of how suitable it would be for my spiritual growth. But I am only saying Jesus is calling those who want an experience with Him. I follow Jesus not my pastor or my church, but my pastor and church provide encouragement and there I listen to the word of God. I remember I always used to pray ‘Lord, I am not interested in religion, I just want to know You'

What do I have to lose if I die and find that there is no God?

Ridiculous, but let’s assume atheists are right for a second. I certainly wouldn't miss out on anything if I don’t drink, smoke, take drugs, become sexually immoral, worship idols, get oppressed or tormented by demons, get a divorce, live in bondage by anything under heaven, live in depression, live in fear, feel alone, look for love in people (Jesus is love, we have so much to share), live without peace or joy or love, live without bitterness, hate, anger or live without fortitude to persevere through trials and temptations for the rest of my life.

But what do you(non-believer) have to lose if I am right about God?

Yup, you guessed right.

The truth is heaven and hell are real and are for eternity - I would say, in a dimension not defined by time or space. Eternal life is one with Jesus and He is the source and giver of it. Like winner01 rightly mentioned, the things you think are enjoyment are actually killing you but you won’t know until God gives you His Spirit when you become born again and as soon as you start walking in the Spirit you will discern these things and probably do more than I am doing right now.

The bible says if you are not for Jesus you are against Him. And how would it feel to know you are not so different from the witch that killed her newborn, other than she probably knew she was anti-Christ, but you atheists and agnostics probably don’t know or refuse to know.

Remember, being in denial does not disprove anything, it only leaves you unprepared, uninformed, and even vulnerable to what is being denied…and no one denies death I would believe.

The answers you seek are on your smart phone. Look all over the internet, you won’t find evidence as theses or journal publications, but you certainly would find many many experiences. We have free will, so you have to choose.

Experience supersedes logic or argument any day. So, just before you dissect and critique my testimony. You may want to first ask yourself why you may be always so quick to rebut someone else’s experience before you ask the question.

Another thing, I have been an atheist, and to be honest, there’s nothing to it other than you look intelligent to other dissidents, but it is hollow, something missing, there is a void, you may not know now until you switch to the Lord’s side. Also, when you get faced with challenges and storms of life it is your spirit that fights, not your intelligence.

A UCB physics professor and former atheist, now in Christ because he saw hell and cried out to Jesus to save him, said there is a part of all of us that appeals to God. I’ve been there, I would have denied it then, but I know it’s true. Very true.

Please invite Jesus today with sincerity in heart. He is the Living God and He is Spirit. He is calling you, He is saying 'Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink and you will thirst no more.'
You may start by saying a sincere prayer like ‘Jesus I do not want to be condemned for eternity after I die, please save me’ and I believe your redemption is already on the way because He knows, like you would when you really mean it. And it is His will that you should not perish but come to repentance(2 Peter 3:9)

For those that do not see reason to continue the routine of religion or being religious and are looking for atheistic reasons to leave, Don’t! please don’t. Don’t give up on God. Did you know that it was the religious people that killed Jesus? although they knew all the letters and prophecies of the law and routines of the synagogue, they still didn’t recognise the Messiah, they even accused Him of working for the devil. It’s worse today, so many religious, but not many have experienced Jesus because they have made god for themselves, the one they can tame, the one that gives them all they want that lets them live how they like in the lusts of their flesh. Isn’t it funny how suddenly, God doesn’t have standards from our brand of christianity? The Holy and Righteous God.

But don’t be discouraged, look beyond the charade, He is calling, He says 'Seek and you will find'. Draw near to God and He will to you...(James 4:3) and your life will never remain the same. Taste and see that the Lord is good(Ps 34:cool.

Jesus is Lord!

There should be a Part 3: My Jesus Experience: The Difference
I feel flawed and ashamed to type this but. . . Your story has sparked something within me.

4 Likes

Re: From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony by Emeskhalifa(m): 7:39pm On Aug 17, 2016
horlumiday:

You think Christians are slaves to rules.. nahh.. the real slavery is sin.. Living
for Jesus is a privilege..
keep subjecting yourzelf to slavery. even the Jesus himself waz helpless during wen he was being executed!!! am very sure he'd bailed if he had the opportunity

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

See 8 Most Controversial Issues In The Church Today / Dunamis Gospel Music Concert: Dogara, Sinach, Chioma Jesus, Nathaniel Bassey / Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 180
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.