Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,001 members, 7,825,102 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos (2426 Views)

2019 Election: Trouble For Wike And What Igbos In Ph Should Do. / Kanu Is Just Saying What Igbos Were Thinking / Igbos Need To Stop Acting Like Minorities And Play Nigerian Politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by rlauncher(m): 9:21pm On Aug 15, 2016
This write-up is a rebuttal to the crap posted by one by the monicker yanshdoctor which he titled ' ,What Lagos Yoruba's need to know about Lagos', in which he made some nasty and unsavoury comments about the Yoruba people as well as roll out false information about Lagos State. Ordinarily, I don't comment on nairaland. I usually visit the forum as a guest. But when I saw the extent to which the Igbo people are wont to badmouthing Yoruba people, peddling false information about them despite having been so magnanimous to the Igbo people over the years in the history of this country ,I have no choice but to join the forum so that records can be set straigth. I have to do this because if your neighbour are peddling false stories about you and you keep quiet ,it would not be long before others begin to believe their lies.

First, Lagos was not developed by the colonialists, nor by Igbo's (in fact Igbos contributed more than any other factor to the cripplling of the southwestern Nigeria economy) nor with oil money.It was developed by the Yoruba people. Before the discovery of oil, Lagos was already heavily industrialized. I am talking of as far back in the 50s. We used to have industrial estates scattered all over the southwestern states including Ogun ,Oyo ,Osun,Lagos, Ondo and Ekiti.

Up till the late 70s , these industries established by Yoruba people and foreigners alike were providing ready employments to fresh graduates from our Universities and Polytechnics. These were the times that people will mock you if you buy a secondhand car because the word " tokunbo cars" does not exist at that time.

It is also instructive to know that at that time, we used to manufacture practically everything being imported into the country today ranging from electricals,electronics, automotives, motor spare parts, tyres, textiles and clothings, footwears and other leather products just to mention a few.

The prosperity of the western side of Nigeria began to attract people from other parts of the country coupled with the the fact that Yoruba people are generally accommodating of people of other ethnic groups and discrimination based on ethnicity at workplaces in southwest Nigeria is generally absent.

This was also the time that the naira used to exchanged for about 75 kobo (N0.75) to $1. Brand new cars used to go for between N2000(two thousand naira) and N7000(seven thousand naira).

The problems of the southwest began when Shagari came into power and began granting import licences for the importations of goods we are already producing. The federal government at the time refused to listen to the cry of economic experts for the federal government to protect our infant industries.

I am sorry to say this, but it is the truth. The Igbo people latched on to the weakness of the federal government policy on the need to protect infant industries and the markets became a washed with cheap and fake versions of the highly quality products we used to produce at home ,all imported from the Asian countries. I know some of us reading this piece will remember " this is from Taiwan".

Mass retrenchments was what followed as the once burgeoning industries could no longer operate profitably. Over 40,000 industries have since close down.Our youths can no .longer secure good jobs after graduating from school and the naira exchange rate to world major currency have been depreciating since then.

Igbo's will never tell you how they bombed pen cinema in Agege , the then equivalent of Silverbird cinema of today, killing so many Yoruba people who went to see a movie with their friendsand families as well as planted IEDs all over Lagos in order to destroy Lagos and kill as many Yoruba people as possible at the beginning of the civil war which was not caused by Yoruba people. The Igbo's have always been envying and hating the Yoruba people for no just cause, hence the lies and devilish propaganda they have been spreading about us on the social media.

l wish to categorically state here that the economy of Lagos have been functioning perfectly well before Igbo's came and destroy it with importation of cheap, fake , adultrated, and substandard goods. The departure of the Igbo's from Lagos and southwest will only lead to the revival of industrialization of our region, because unnecessary importation of goods we can produce at home though at higher prices will stop. I am not saying the Igbos should leave, but they are free to do so if that is what they want but not at the expense of the unity of the nation.

Igbo's should stop badmouthing Yoruba people .We have always been forgiving you people for the harms you people have been doing to us and our economy. It is rather unfortunate that Igbo people think that our patience and gentleness is something that should be exploited.We are not fools.

9 Likes

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by LoveDecay(m): 10:04pm On Aug 15, 2016
OP just cool down.

Ibo people nyash don open. Internet dey expose them lef an righ.

If ibo people where are so good, why is iboland such a shit hole.

I am scared of going to the east, because I have been told it is dangerous. They do not like outsiders at all.

This is proven by the still thriving osu caste system they have preserved for their evil reasons.

Their is just to much water under the bridge when it comes to ibo land. Honestly, I am tired

8 Likes

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by mekaboy(m): 10:25pm On Aug 15, 2016
Nice one op. Now just take it a step further, include the total amount the yorubas spent in lagos in the 50's and total spent by Federal government when it was capital let's compare.

3 Likes

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by yanshDoctor: 10:40pm On Aug 15, 2016
you are still a child and probably don't know how economy is been run and therefore I can't go into argument with you. you should have remain in the topic instead of creating a new one.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by rlauncher(m): 10:54pm On Aug 15, 2016
yanshDoctor:
you are still a child and probably don't know how economy is been run and therefore I can't go into argument with you. you should have remain in the topic instead of creating a new one.

You don't know who you are dealing with Your write-ups on this forum shows you know very little about the history of the economy and the infrastructural development of Lagos. I wrote what I experienced first hand not just what I read in books unlike you who have been basing your write-ups on Lagos on hearsays and figments of your own imagination.

5 Likes

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by Nobody: 11:00pm On Aug 15, 2016
rlauncher:
[s]This write-up is a rebuttal to the crap posted by one by the monicker yanshdoctor which he titled ' ,What Lagos Yoruba's need to know about Lagos', in which he made some nasty and unsavoury comments about the Yoruba people as well as roll out false information about Lagos State. Ordinarily, I don't comment on nairaland. I usually visit the forum as a guest. But when I saw the extent to which the Igbo people are wont to badmouthing Yoruba people, peddling false information about them despite having been so magnanimous to the Igbo people over the years in the history of this country ,I have no choice but to join the forum so that records can be set straigth. I have to do this because if your neighbour are peddling false stories about you and you keep quiet ,it would not be long before others begin to believe their lies.

First, Lagos was not developed by the colonialists, nor by Igbo's (in fact Igbos contributed more than any other factor to the cripplling of the southwestern Nigeria economy) nor with oil money.It was developed by the Yoruba people. Before the discovery of oil, Lagos was already heavily industrialized. I am talking of as far back in the 50s. We used to have industrial estates scattered all over the southwestern states including Ogun ,Oyo ,Osun,Lagos, Ondo and Ekiti.

Up till the late 70s , these industries established by Yoruba people and foreigners alike were providing ready employments to fresh graduates from our Universities and Polytechnics. These were the times that people will mock you if you buy a secondhand car because the word " tokunbo cars" does not exist at that time.

It is also instructive to know that at that time, we used to manufacture practically everything being imported into the country today ranging from electricals,electronics, automotives, motor spare parts, tyres, textiles and clothings, footwears and other leather products just to mention a few.

The prosperity of the western side of Nigeria began to attract people from other parts of the country coupled with the the fact that Yoruba people are generally accommodating of people of other ethnic groups and discrimination based on ethnicity at workplaces in southwest Nigeria is generally absent.

This was also the time that the naira used to exchanged for about 75 kobo (N0.75) to $1. Brand new cars used to go for between N2000(two thousand naira) and N7000(seven thousand naira).

The problems of the southwest began when Shagari came into power and began granting import licences for the importations of goods we are already producing. The federal government at the time refused to listen to the cry of economic experts for the federal government to protect our infant industries.

I am sorry to say this, but it is the truth. The Igbo people latched on to the weakness of the federal government policy on the need to protect infant industries and the markets became a washed with cheap and fake versions of the highly quality products we used to produce at home ,all imported from the Asian countries. I know some of us reading this piece will remember " this is from Taiwan".

Mass retrenchments was what followed as the once burgeoning industries could no longer operate profitably. Over 40,000 industries have since close down.Our youths can no .longer secure good jobs after graduating from school and the naira exchange rate to world major currency have been depreciating since then.

Igbo's will never tell you how they bombed pen cinema in Agege , the then equivalent of Silverbird cinema of today, killing so many Yoruba people who went to see a movie with their friendsand families as well as planted IEDs all over Lagos in order to destroy Lagos and kill as many Yoruba people as possible at the beginning of the civil war which was not caused by Yoruba people. The Igbo's have always been envying and hating the Yoruba people for no just cause, hence the lies and devilish propaganda they have been spreading about us on the social media.

l wish to categorically state here that the economy of Lagos have been functioning perfectly well before Igbo's came and destroy it with importation of cheap, fake , adultrated, and substandard goods. The departure of the Igbo's from Lagos and southwest will only lead to the revival of industrialization of our region, because unnecessary importation of goods we can produce at home though at higher prices will stop. I am not saying the Igbos should leave, but they are free to do so if that is what they want but not at the expense of the unity of the nation.

Igbo's should stop badmouthing Yoruba people .We have always been forgiving you people for the harms you people have been doing to us and our economy. It is rather unfortunate that Igbo people think that our patience and gentleness is something that should be exploited.We are not fools[/s].

yorubba...smh

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by Alcatraz003: 11:55pm On Aug 15, 2016
OP.....tell them. igbos have not seen nothing yet. The hitherto docile yorubas have woken up. We shall uproot igbos from our ancestral land. Insha Allah.

3 Likes

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by striker9(m): 12:00am On Aug 16, 2016
Informative
Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by Noblecx: 12:31am On Aug 16, 2016
[s]
rlauncher:
This write-up is a rebuttal to the crap posted by one by the monicker yanshdoctor which he titled ' ,What Lagos Yoruba's need to know about Lagos', in which he made some nasty and unsavoury comments about the Yoruba people as well as roll out false information about Lagos State. Ordinarily, I don't comment on nairaland. I usually visit the forum as a guest. But when I saw the extent to which the Igbo people are wont to badmouthing Yoruba people, peddling false information about them despite having been so magnanimous to the Igbo people over the years in the history of this country ,I have no choice but to join the forum so that records can be set straigth. I have to do this because if your neighbour are peddling false stories about you and you keep quiet ,it would not be long before others begin to believe their lies.

Igbo's should stop badmouthing Yoruba people .We have always been forgiving you people for the harms you people have been doing to us and our economy. It is rather unfortunate that Igbo people think that our patience and gentleness is something that should be exploited.We are not fools.
[/s]

When did Yoruba's even enter Lagos??

SmH!! Youbish

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by OMAR12: 2:45am On Aug 16, 2016
I think my Igbo brothers should start selling their house in Lagos, and other places BT still remain in Lagos as tenant and tolorate their host, av been to pH where there are so many yorubas I can tell that they hardly build outside their homeland.
Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by OMAR12: 2:47am On Aug 16, 2016
I think my Igbo brothers should start selling their house in Lagos, and other places BT still remain in Lagos as tenant and tolorate their host, I have been to pH where there are so many Yoruba's, I can u tell that they hardly build outside their homeland.

2 Likes

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by speaktome(m): 3:00am On Aug 16, 2016
Nice Trash!!!

But bear in mind that they are unstopable!!!

Proud to be among the 5%

#MySignature #Mybusiness

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by mightyhazel: 6:08am On Aug 16, 2016
Alcatraz003:
OP.....tell them. igbos have not seen nothing yet. The hitherto docile yorubas have woken up. We shall uproot igbos from our ancestral land. Insha Allah.
writing and quoting urself!

Smh!

No go find work do.

2 Likes

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by kossyablaze(m): 6:23am On Aug 16, 2016
Someone skipped his medication again

1 Like

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by fulanmafia: 7:01am On Aug 16, 2016
This section has truly gone to the dogs, robust discourse is now a luxury. Instead of intelligent rebuttals, all you can hear is 'Yoloba, Trash', etc.

See what cheap data phones and bundles have caused.

6 Likes

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by drnoel: 8:05am On Aug 16, 2016
rlauncher:

Another one bites the dust
Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by able20(m): 8:27am On Aug 16, 2016
Another meaningless posts this early morning , it shows really there is Hunger and Frustration in the land. Op take heart, we pray for things to get better soonest . I understand your situation.

1 Like

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by Agunechemba1(m): 8:43am On Aug 16, 2016
It is too late for you Yoruba's

I'm igbo and I'm a lagosian .I have same right like every other Yoruba person in Lagos state.Not even Ambode can chase me away.

Lagos is a no man's land.

Stop crying and face the reality. Enjoy the One Nigeria u all championed for.

I repeat,Lagos is no man's land.

7 Likes

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by LoveDecay(m): 9:33am On Aug 16, 2016
Agunechemba1:
It is too late for you Yoruba's

I'm igbo and I'm a lagosian .I have same right like every other Yoruba person in Lagos state.Not even Ambode can chase me away.

Lagos is a no man's land.

Stop crying and face the reality. Enjoy the One Nigeria u all championed for.

I repeat,Lagos is no man's land.

Who said you're are not a Lagosian. As a Lagosian, you are subject of the Oba of Lagos. You are merely a Lagosian by birth and not blood. Same in the US, you can be naturalized there and have the same rights but never the same previledges as one born there... Ever. Privileges are cultural , generational , something you gain as a bona fide member of a group. Rights are simply constitutional.

One with previledges can fall back on rights or previledges to justify his actions but one with rights can only act within the limits of his rights.

If you understand what I wrote above you have discovered they key to the east political slavery in this country. Which you continue to claim for yourselves with these silly statements .... Lagos is no man's land, when the Oba wanted to throw you into the Lagoon what did you do, did you go to the palace of the govt. Rights and previledges .

3 Likes

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by Nobody: 9:36am On Aug 16, 2016
Igbos, its time for you guys to start thinking home. The east is livable and accommodating. I'm currently residing doing my stuff down East. Nigerians, especially the Yorubas hate you.... very soon, don't be surprised when this, online threats, will translate to xenophobic attack.... move down East; Home beckons.
Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by Agunechemba1(m): 9:44am On Aug 16, 2016
LoveDecay:

Who said you're are not a Lagosian. As a Lagosian, you are subject of the Oba of Lagos. You are merely a Lagosian by birth and not blood. Same in the US, you can be naturalized there and have the same rights but never the same previledges as one born there... Ever. Privileges are cultural , generational , something you gain as a bona fide member of a group. Rights are simply constitutional.

One with previledges can fall back on rights or previledges to justify his actions but one with rights can only act within the limits of his rights.

If you understand what I wrote above you have discovered they key to the east political slavery in this country. Which you continue to claim for yourselves with these silly statements .... Lagos is no man's land, when the Oba wanted to throw you into the Lagoon what did you do, did you go to the palace of the govt. Rights and previledges .

Oga stop blabbing and face the reality. Ur oba would always want to be noticed.The only previledge you have is just because you are Yoruba which every other person has his roots.

The Lagos of today is no man's land.
Igbo men hold public offices in Lagos and has contested for the the highest office in Lagos state and are stakeholders in Lagos state like every other Nigerian tribe.

5 Likes

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by Agunechemba1(m): 9:48am On Aug 16, 2016
blues20:
Igbos, its time for you guys to start thinking home. The east is livable and accommodating. I'm currently residing doing my stuff down East. Nigerians, especially the Yorubas hate you.... very soon, don't be surprised when this, online threats, will translate to xenophobic attack.... move down East; Home beckons.

They are cowards, if they talk too much we take over Lagos and install an Obi of Lagos just like the Fulani's did in Kwara.

I'm not against the igbo thinking home.Besides igbos are now investing in igboland which is something we all want. In the South West, no state can match any igbo state in terms of infrastructure and development apart from no man's land.

1 Like

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by chernest2002: 9:49am On Aug 16, 2016
rlauncher:

the Yoruba that I know are not fools ,but you that write this text which I read now, you are a big FOOL. You build Lagos alone I agree.
Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by sainttwist1(m): 9:51am On Aug 16, 2016
biafrans and the abokis.......they hate each other yet have the same behaviour
Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by attackgat: 9:58am On Aug 16, 2016
Alcatraz003:

Igbos already uprooted and left in 1967. It was your fathers who came down to the East to fight for 3 years to bring them back.

One wonders what would have become of Lagos if the British had not moved the Capital of Nigeria from Calabar to Lagos.

1 Like

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by rlauncher(m): 3:47pm On Aug 16, 2016
mekaboy:
Nice one op. Now just take it a step further, include the total amount the yorubas spent in lagos in the 50's and total spent by Federal government when it was capital let's compare.

The income generated by the FG in Lagos and other southwest states from company tax, VAT , airports and seaports runs into hundreds of billions of naira which are redistributed to all the states of the federation.

Lagos have been contributing more to the Federal purse than it have been receiving from oil income.This is a fact.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by ba7man(m): 3:54pm On Aug 16, 2016
fulanmafia:
This section has truly gone to the dogs, robust discourse is now a luxury. Instead of intelligent rebuttals, all you can hear is 'Yoloba, Trash', etc.

See what cheap data phones and bundles have caused.
What do you expect when shop attendants now have access to the internet. undecided

2 Likes

Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by ba7man(m): 3:56pm On Aug 16, 2016
attackgat:

Igbos already uprooted and left in 1967. It was your fathers who came down to the East to fight for 3 years to bring them back.

One wonders what would have become of Lagos if the British had not moved the Capital of Nigeria from Calabar to Lagos.
The same thing that happened when the federal capital was moved to Abuja.
Re: What Igbos Need To Know About Lagos by T8ksy(m): 3:57pm On Aug 16, 2016
attackgat:

Liar, Liar! Not all ibos left for Biafra. There were many that stayed behind in western region and Lagos .

At any rate if ibos had all uprooted as you falsely asserted , what then were Ojukwu 's BLF doing in Ore, enroute to Lagos after they had already "liberated" the mid-west region and impose their rule on the locals?

Why are you guys so bothered about Lagos and its indigenous people whom you obviously detest? Your unhealthy obsession with Lagos and its people will definitely be the death of you and your ilk.

(1) (2) (Reply)

We Increased Northern Slots In SSS Because Of Federal Character- Presidency / Full Memo Detailing How Danbazau And AGF Reinstated Abdulrasheed Maina / Anambra People Are Idiots" - Victor Umeh On AIT This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.