Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,517 members, 7,836,973 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills (18925 Views)

Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? / Edo Landlord Burns Down His House Over Tenants’ Refusal To Pay Rent (Video) / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by tommy2912(m): 7:42am On Aug 18, 2016
shuggah:

u re ungrateful in ur life..nd u will hav like 2 air conditioner plus two fridge tht re always on nd ur television neva goes off even in ur room

Even with that, do I need to pay 127k in 7 months, or is there light all the time in Nigeria? Is that how much u pay in lafia? I doubt that. Plz be reasonable.
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by Evangchrist1: 7:43am On Aug 18, 2016
you should pay for him/her.
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by bee444: 7:48am On Aug 18, 2016
This is the reason I don't always jump on the bandwagon. I critique your assertion and balance the argument. Common now, 127k pays house rent you know. The guy will be foolish to pay such a preposterous amount for electricity bill.

Do you have Halogen bulbs all around your house nii that consumes such a sh*t load of electricity? Or you design the guy's apartment with expensive crystal chandeliers that uses 8 to 9 bulbs? Do you provide meal for your tenants as part of their rent that would make them want to folk out such amount for their bills?

Are you in Nigeria? If yes, how would a normal human being consume 127k of electricity within 7 months when he is not hiding aliens in his apartment? You sure know that aliens and electricity are like Buhari and corruption ko?

Just gerrarahere!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by IDEJIMBA1(m): 7:53am On Aug 18, 2016
Tobium1:
Hello nairalanders, I really need your advice/comments on this. My tenant has been a thorn in my flesh, in the sense that, he has been accumulating his phcn bill for quite a long time now (7months to be precise, amounting to about N127000). Pls, i'ld like to hear from folks in the house on how to deal with such stubborn tenant.
Btw, the Last tenant cleared all his bills before vacating the house.

Dear mods, please do the needful for an enraged nairalander
That's approximately 20k per month. Would you pay such amount for electricity if you were him? Wicked landlord.
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by shuggah(m): 7:59am On Aug 18, 2016
[quote author=tommy2912 post=48580317]
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by sanyajava: 8:00am On Aug 18, 2016
Mr Landlord, do you have steady power supply in your area ? if yes then the bill 127k for 7 months is on the high side. try to seat him down and sought it out with him, becouse if i must be honest with you, the tenant may refuse to pay bills due to the fact there is no power and yet PHCN keep accumulating his bills. what will you say of a family that the only time they spent time at home is wekeend and they will run Gen for 6 hours for saturday and sunday, do you think they will be happy paying 5000 naira bill every month? Let me give u scenario, where i live is a 2 story building and 2 flats has been vacant for almost a year now yet PHCN keep bringing bills of 5,000 naira montly, who are they expecting to pay the bills. sometimes i travel for months and family stay with my parents becouse my wife also leave for work in the monring leaveing nobody at home and still PHCN brings bill of same amount to me and when i went to thier office to complain i was told that each time i want to embark on a journey i should notify them , does that any sense. My advice to you is that you should seat him and ask my why instaed of ratlling with him.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by seunoni34(m): 8:00am On Aug 18, 2016
IDEJIMBA1:

That's approximately 20k per month. Would you pay such amount for electricity if you were him? Wicked landlord.
You sound like a kid.
Does the tenant not know his electricity bills are running as he uses them heavily?
For a tenant to accumulate that much, it means such tenant is a careless and wasteful fellow. As a tenant there, it's his legal responsibility to pay for his usage.
I doubt if you've lived on your own before.
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by shuggah(m): 8:01am On Aug 18, 2016
tommy2912:

Even with that, do I need to pay 127k in 7 months, or is there light all the time in Nigeria? Is that how much u pay in lafia? I doubt that. Plz be reasonable.
i dont pay light bill in lafia because Nepa doesnt charge indigenes for light nd as a tenant my landlord got us covered but to be frank my sister had to pay 200k in a year because there was no meter..it was fixed meter or something like that.ask if d op has meter in his house.
am sorry for saying u r ungrateful,
@Op do u have meters in ur house..if yes are they prepaid or have they been tanpered with,to be frank 127k in 7mnths aint chilly,hw much does ur tenant earn?
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by deolumike(m): 8:05am On Aug 18, 2016
My advice to any landlord in situations such as this is issue the tenant the relevant statutory notice. The earlier the better. Chances are that he'll owe arrears of rent. Add that with accumulated utility bill, double jeopardy.

I'd love to help. Let's discuss this on a more professional and confidential basis. My contact:

Deolumike@gmail.com

1 Share

Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by Nobody: 8:10am On Aug 18, 2016
Something Neighbors deserve this........

Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by whizcartel(m): 8:10am On Aug 18, 2016
Tobium1:
Hello nairalanders, I really need your advice/comments on this. My tenant has been a thorn in my flesh, in the sense that, he has been accumulating his phcn bill for quite a long time now (7months to be precise, amounting to about N127000). Pls, i'ld like to hear from folks in the house on how to deal with such stubborn tenant.

Omo remove h fuse.
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by numericalguy(m): 8:11am On Aug 18, 2016
Tobium1:
Hello nairalanders, I really need your advice/comments on this. My tenant has been a thorn in my flesh, in the sense that, he has been accumulating his phcn bill for quite a long time now (]7months to be precise, amounting to about N127000). Pls, i'ld like to hear from folks in the house on how to deal with such stubborn tenant.

That's over N18,000 per month. How many workers/civil servants in Nigeria can afford to be paying over N18,000 to PHCN every month. After all these, he still has to pay you house rent pay for his children's school fees.

Except if the tenant has a factory in your compound I don't see how his monthly bill should be that high.
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by andrewutibe: 8:11am On Aug 18, 2016
if u disconnect his wire he may hav reason Not 2 pay even a lawyer wil not move him 2pay,if he's given a quick notice who wil foot d bill. Diplomacy is needed in dis situation
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by Princejboy(m): 8:12am On Aug 18, 2016
127k in 7month wow angry sad sad shocked sad sad sad shocked
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by deeway200(m): 8:14am On Aug 18, 2016
Buy a small clay pot, chicken head with small palm oil,put them inside the clay pot and place it in front of his house,the next day,if he did not pack out,he will pay all his bill.
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by deeway200(m): 8:15am On Aug 18, 2016
deeway200:
Buy a small clay pot, chicken head with small palm oil,put them inside the clay pot and place it in front of his house,the next day,if he did not pack out,he will pay all his bill.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by onatisi(m): 8:19am On Aug 18, 2016
bettercreature:
Disconnect his/her light,it's very simple
I dont think the op and the tenant live in the same place . Hence even if he disconnects the light,the tenant will simply reconnect it back once the op leaves and it is also possible the op is the busy type that doesn't visit the property often due to tight schedule
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by onatisi(m): 8:21am On Aug 18, 2016
numericalguy:

That's over N18,000 per month. How many workers/civil servants in Nigeria can afford to be paying over N18,000 to PHCN every month. After all these, he still has to pay you house rent pay for his children's school fees.

Except if the tenant has a factory in your compound I don't see how his monthly bill should be that high.
Maybe it is " No Meter" billing
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by gonkraziiiiii: 8:21am On Aug 18, 2016
Disconnect light and water...shey Na light dem dey use water...ehnnn everything dat has to do with light he shldnt enjoy it...shikina
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by Nobody: 8:21am On Aug 18, 2016
brostheo:
kill him and make FP in nairaland.una story go surely reach here

Or time it so that he catches you fornicating with his wife on their matrimonial bed grin
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by Spells(m): 8:22am On Aug 18, 2016
Easy does it well... Just notify phcn, n they'll definitely find a way of disconnecting his lite alone, n they'll find a way of making him pay for his previous bills... Act fast cos if he decide to move out. My guy it's gonna b on u oh
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by indoorlove(m): 8:23am On Aug 18, 2016
I see you as a very wicked fellow. How does his bill amount too 127k in just 7 months? and to think you said the bill was all cleared before he moved in.
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by bitingcool: 8:28am On Aug 18, 2016
Reference:
As a landlord it is MANDATORY that you instal a Pre-Paid Meter in your tenancy with the meter and adjoining wires totally inaccessible (seen but not touched). Any other thing is your fault and I honestly wish you the best because Nigerians are largely irresponsible. Our constitution requires each citizen to be irresponsible so,...behave like the telecos and make them pay....as they sleep.

What do you mean by Nigerians are largely irresponsible? If you are, or have been unfortunately meeting the type you describe, don't generalize.
There are 'largely' responsible Nigerians in all walks of life doing right and minding their businesses. They wouldn't stand for the wrong classification from a diarrheaic point of view.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by Jonnie2time: 8:29am On Aug 18, 2016
Provide pre-paid meters for your houses, period!
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by yunisco: 8:33am On Aug 18, 2016
The Land should provide prepaid metre for each tenant.
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by tommy2912(m): 8:34am On Aug 18, 2016
shuggah:

i dont pay light bill in lafia because Nepa doesnt charge indigenes for light nd as a tenant my landlord got us covered but to be frank my sister had to pay 200k in a year because there was no meter..it was fixed meter or something like that.ask if d op has meter in his house.
am sorry for saying u r ungrateful,
@Op do u have meters in ur house..if yes are they prepaid or have they been tanpered with,to be frank 127k in 7mnths aint chilly,hw much does ur tenant earn?

Oh okay, Na una dey enjoy o for lafia, make I come relocate ASAP. Thanks bro
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by gabbytabby: 8:41am On Aug 18, 2016
The amount of money involved suggests that he might be a tenant who is not sharing. If the bill is in your name then options are

1) Go to the citizens mediation centre and let them invite him.
2) Go to the electricity distribution company and ask that they either suspend or cancel the account and stop billing. They will only do this if you agree to clear over time. You explain that you are taking steps to get the tenant to pay and maybe agree to pay like 2k per month pending resolution. Then go to mediation as above.

Tobium1:

Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by greggng: 8:45am On Aug 18, 2016
Get him a prepaid meter there after call nepa to and he has to pay atleast half of his bills for that metter to be installed. Thereafter he is on his own. Remember each time he recharges the prepaid meter part of old payment is deducted.
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by gabbytabby: 8:46am On Aug 18, 2016
Unfortunately my experience is same most are largely confrontational and irresponsible.

bitingcool:

What do you mean by Nigerians are largely irresponsible? If you are, or have been unfortunately meeting the type you describe, don't generalize.
There are 'largely' responsible Nigerians in all walks of life doing right and minding their businesses. They wouldn't stand for the wrong classification from a diarrheaic point of view.
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by Nobody: 8:48am On Aug 18, 2016
Reference:

Aod the bills will be moderated. Just let him have no access to the wires between pole and breaker or he will steal power and if caught you the house owner will pay.

Yea I had this neighbour then while still in naija... This man's meter will be exhausted instead of him to recharge he go dey still power with the wires and he does it with his bare hands until one day the stuff nearly killed him while connecting the wires and he stopped
Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by tonyobj(m): 8:54am On Aug 18, 2016
Tobium this is how you should approach this.
1. Get all his monthly bills
2. Confirm how much he was billed for each month on each bill.
3. Confirm how much he paid on each monthly bill.
4. Divide 127,000 by 7. This is N18,142.86 per month
5. Can you, Tobium, as a person living in Nigeria afford to pay N18,142.86 per month for light that you don't have at all??
6. Does your tenant operate a manufacturing company in his apartment?
7. If your answer is YES to all of the above and you can verify that he has not paid 1 dime in the last 7 months that made his bill accrue to N127,000 then take him to PHCN or whatever Disco is resposible for your area to report.
8. Then come to NL to wail about it.
9. If you answer NO to any of the above, then call a house/street/area/landlords meeting with the DISCO to address this monster called "estimated billing".

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills by princecalculus(m): 8:57am On Aug 18, 2016
Disconnect the light... If e no see Zee world watch! E go run come meet u..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Loans: Banks Put Up Chronic Debtors’ Property For Sale / Cost Of Rent Around Ogun | Co-tenant / Building A 3 Bedroom Flat In Benin City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.