Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,267 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:30 AM

Python Vs C# - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Python Vs C# (2857 Views)

Python Vs Php / Python Vs Game And Mobile app Development / Which Is The Best Serve Side Scriptn Language Php Vs Ruby Vs Python Vs Perl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Python Vs C# by zando64: 2:07pm On Aug 18, 2016
Pls My follow progrmmers, i will like to no btw python and C# which used i learn based on recent technology
Re: Python Vs C# by Raypawer(m): 2:55pm On Aug 18, 2016
lol.. python is good, easier to learn, but c# is more vast,

you can master python in 3 to 4 months and start creating great apps, but not so with c#,

on the other hand, when you become a pro with c#, you will achieve more, you can easily learn and master python and not the other way round, and by the way c# is more powerful that python and c# evolves faster than python, so the choice is yours!

2 Likes

Re: Python Vs C# by Codenister: 2:58pm On Aug 18, 2016
Just pick one and get started already

3 Likes

Re: Python Vs C# by talk2hb1(m): 5:48pm On Aug 18, 2016
Time will Tell lipsrsealed
Re: Python Vs C# by VenantCode(m): 6:29pm On Aug 18, 2016
If you are not a beginner to software development then you can learn both simultaneously else i do believe you should learn c# first. At least with c#.net you can build highly scalable web-apps using Asp.net Web Api then you can also build cross-platform apps using xamarine and desktop apps using the WPF and Universal framework.
Re: Python Vs C# by danidee10(m): 12:15pm On Aug 21, 2016
Raypawer:

you can master python in 3 to 4 months and start creating great apps, but not so with c#,

on the other hand, when you become a pro with c#, you will achieve more, you can easily learn and master python and not the other way round, and by the way c# is more powerful that python and c# evolves faster that python, so the choice is yours!

What do you mean by vast

By standard libraries and third party modules....python is way way ahead

By the community python is still ahead

So what do you mean by vast.

1 Like

Re: Python Vs C# by pythonkid(m): 1:15pm On Aug 21, 2016
Raypawer:

on the other hand, when you become a pro with c#, you will achieve more, you can easily learn and master python and not the other way round, and by the way c# is more powerful that python and c# evolves faster that python, so the choice is yours!

no one can master even html in 5 years not to talk of python in 4 months , wtf , master python ??

C# is fast compared to python
python is platform independ compared to C# which runs only on .net platforms
its easier to make GUI for C# programs compared to python that needs a framework for that
python is good for writing network realated apps
you have to tell us what you aim to achive then we will tel you what language will be better , but if you just want to learn programming then go for C# ..
Re: Python Vs C# by Raypawer(m): 1:27pm On Aug 21, 2016
personali it will not take me up to 3 month to master python, comming from c#, partial java's perspective..

and like i said eailer, c# is evolving faster than any other language in the world, if u watch well, now asp.net mvc 6 runs on any platform, i mean i can host my mvc web app on linux servers and its now open source, some days back i saw on my visual studio news that power shell now runs on any platform, cmon, java is gud but c# is making waves!

pythonkid:

no one can master even html in 5 years not to talk of python in 4 months , wtf , master python ??

its easier to make GUI for C# programs compared to python that needs a framework for that
you have to tell us what you aim to achive then we will tel you what language will be better , but if you just want to learn programming then go for C# ..
Re: Python Vs C# by Raypawer(m): 1:32pm On Aug 21, 2016
not community bro, c# also have standard libraries with most being open source, with c# you can achieve more i mean almost anything, from mobile apps(ios, windows & android), to desktop apps, to embedded systems using .NETMF, to a more scalable than python web apps, and c# even supports concurrency!

danidee10:

What do you mean by vast

By standard libraries and third party modules....python is way way ahead

By the community python is still ahead

So what do you mean by vast.
Re: Python Vs C# by danidee10(m): 8:14pm On Aug 21, 2016
Raypawer:
not community bro, c# also have standard libraries with most being open source, with c# you can achieve more i mean almost anything, from mobile apps(ios, windows & android), to desktop apps, to embedded systems using .NETMF, to a more scalable than python web apps, and c# even supports concurrency!

The legacy c# compiler itself isn't. Except you're talking about mono which wasn't built by MS

Python can do everything you listed above even machine learning, the machine learning libraries for python are more popular than the C# alternatives....

Of course python supports concurrency checkout the multiprocessing module, python (Cpython) uses multiple processes based to achieve concurrency not shared memory with threads...it's a common misconception about the GIL (global interpreter lock)...the GIL is only present in CPython that's the default implementation of python with C it's not present in Jython or IronPython or other implementations....the GIL is not part of the python language specification

When it comes to speed....yes C# is faster out of the box, it's a compiled language so it should be, but is it really faster.

I could write the slow parts of my code in cython which compiles down to C and then call it from python....and C# can't go faster than C

Final words proprietary isn't always better than open source

2 Likes

Re: Python Vs C# by danidee10(m): 1:18am On Aug 22, 2016
Raypawer:
personali it will not take me up to 3 month to master python, comming from c#, partial java's perspective..

and like i said eailer, c# is evolving faster than any other language in the world, if u watch well, now asp.net mvc 6 runs on any platform, i mean i can host my mvc web app on linux servers and its now open source, some days back i saw on my visual studio news that power shell now runs on any platform, cmon, java is gud but c# is making waves!

Yeah it's evolving fast but other language were already platform independent so it's just having a feature others already had...

You can't MASTER any language in 3 months

Who tf uses powershell....that's not even news...the news should be bash now runs on Windows. So you don't need putty, winscp or those other Linux alternatives

1 Like

Re: Python Vs C# by Raypawer(m): 10:06am On Aug 22, 2016
say no more, u don't know peoples ability to learn, there is no how i dedicate 12 weeks, ie 84 days of my life to python that i will not achieve at least a web app, don't judge from your own view, about c#,

tell me any other lang that can be used to build native mobile app on all the 3 major platforms(ios, windows, android),

nd even if its adding features others had, its still something, nd u just have to admit the truth, don't be like those php e-mafians that are always baised!

danidee10:

Yeah it's evolving fast but other language were already platform independent so it's just having a feature others already had...

You can't MASTER any language in 3 months

Who tf uses powershell....that's not even news...the news should be bash now runs on Windows. So you don't need putty, winscp or those other Linux alternatives
Re: Python Vs C# by danidee10(m): 11:18am On Aug 22, 2016
Raypawer:
say no more, u don't know peoples ability to learn, there is no how i dedicate 12 weeks, ie 84 days of my life to python that i will not achieve at least a web app, don't judge from your own view, about c#,

tell me any other lang that can be used to build native mobile app on all the 3 major platforms(ios, windows, android),

nd even if its adding features others had, its still something, nd u just have to admit the truth, don't be like those php e-mafians that are always baised!

Do you know what Master is

Knowing how to build a Web app doesn't mean you've mastered a language, you need to know the internals of the language, mastering Cpython alone requires you to have better than average skills in C.

For you to truly master a language you ought to have written or contributed to core parts of the language itself not just third party libraries, and be known to an extent in the community of that language. All this would take you more than 3 years to do.

I'm no expert in python but if you come to me with your 3 months python knowledge...I'm very confident that you won't answer all the questions I'll give to you

Even Among the C# community on stackoverflow I've never heard of you. So you still have a lot of work to do if you want to become a C# master.

All this epistle I posted above all boils down to one thing be careful how you use these words Master and I know.

You can easily say proficient or comfortable

I hope you don't mean xamarin. for an app to be native it has to be written in the native language and toolkits for that platform. In the case of Android that's java and xml. Or at least in the strictest sense compile down to java bytecode

Xamarin doesn't do that AFAIK

3 Likes

Re: Python Vs C# by Nobody: 1:31pm On Aug 22, 2016
Raypawer:

hmmmmm
Re: Python Vs C# by Nobody: 1:32pm On Aug 22, 2016
danidee10:

The legacy c# compiler itself isn't. Except you're talking about mono which wasn't built by MS

Python can do everything you listed above even machine learning, the machine learning libraries for python are more popular than the C# alternatives....

Of course python supports concurrency checkout the multiprocessing module, python (Cpython) uses multiple processes based to achieve concurrency not shared memory with threads...it's a common misconception about the GIL (global interpreter lock)...the GIL is only present in CPython that's the default implementation of python with C it's not present in Jython or IronPython or other implementations....the GIL is not part of the python language specification

When it comes to speed....yes C# is faster out of the box, it's a compiled language so it should be, but is it really faster.

I could write the slow parts of my code in cython which compiles down to C and then call it from python....and C# can't go faster than C

Final words proprietary isn't always better than open source
True
Re: Python Vs C# by VenantCode(m): 3:33pm On Aug 23, 2016
This is going to be a very big war. I'm already enjoying it "C# vs Python"
Re: Python Vs C# by foldl: 6:35pm On Aug 23, 2016
pythonkid:

you have to tell us what you aim to achive then we will tel you what language will be better , but if you
just want to learn programming then go for C# ..

C# is fast compared to python... Really?
Do you have any data/benchmarks to back this up? I am not saying Python is faster but I am not accepting your claims without hard data either. I do know that C# programs are compiled into MSIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language) and then interpreted at runtime but so also is Python compiled to byte code and then interpreted.

Secondly, C# runs just as well on Unix/Linux as it does on windows. Microsoft recently open sourced the core .NET framework on which C# is based which means you'll be using exactly the same libraries on other platforms. Even before that the mono runtime (now developed by Xamarin) provided an almost feature complete replacement for .NET.

Thirdly, even C# requires frameworks for GUI development (WinForms, WPF). By far the best framework I have used for GUI development is QT which has excellent bindings for Python (PyQt, PySide). Other frameworks like Gtk, Tkinter, Wx can also be used with Python. If you need drag and drop you can always use QT Creator, Glade or Wx Builder. Which is easier? Depends on who is using it.

Final words...
Language X is better than language Y is usually a beginners argument and is wont to cause flame wars. When you've built software professionally for some time you get to a point when you don't care about which language is better but which one gets the job done in the most efficient and timely manner, most times it will be the language you're most competent in but not always.

3 Likes

Re: Python Vs C# by Olumyco(m): 7:08pm On Aug 23, 2016
foldl:

C# is fast compared to python... Really?
Do you have any data/benchmarks to back this up? I am not saying Python is faster but I am not accepting your claims without hard data either. I do know that C# programs are compiled into MSIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language) and then interpreted at runtime but so also is Python compiled to byte code and then interpreted.

Secondly, C# runs just as well on Unix/Linux as it does on windows. Microsoft recently open sourced the core .NET framework on which C# is based which means you'll be using exactly the same libraries on other platforms. Even before that the mono runtime (now developed by Xamarin) provided an almost feature complete replacement for .NET.

Thirdly, even C# requires frameworks for GUI development (WinForms, WPF). By far the best framework I have used for GUI development is QT which has excellent bindings for Python (PyQt, PySide). Other frameworks like Gtk, Tkinter, Wx can also be used with Python. If you need drag and drop you can always use QT Creator, Glade or Wx Builder. Which is easier? Depends on who is using it.

Final words...
Language X is better than language Y is usually a beginners argument and is wont to cause flame wars. When you've built software professionally for some time you get to a point when you don't care about which language is better but which one gets the job done in the most efficient and timely manner, most times it will be the language you're most competent in but not always.

U really made sense
Re: Python Vs C# by Olumyco(m): 7:14pm On Aug 23, 2016
Raypawer:

For ur info JavaScript is another language that can be used to develop native mobile app for the 3 major platforms (android, ios, windows)
Re: Python Vs C# by VenantCode(m): 9:24am On Aug 24, 2016
Nope you just undervalued javascript by limiting it to 3. Javascript can be used to develop on ALL PLATFORMS including embedded systems
Re: Python Vs C# by wolexy07(m): 10:46am On Aug 24, 2016
Raypawer:

on the other hand, when you become a pro with c#, you will achieve more, you can easily learn and master python and not the other way round, and by the way c# is more powerful that python and c# evolves faster than python, so the choice is yours!

Bro, please let's refrain from throwing the word 'Master' around lightly. It would be an insult to Python gurus when you say you can master the language in 3 to 4 months. I have decent programming know-how but I dare not refer to myself as a master. I am nowhere near that title. Do you know what it takes to be a master in a programming language? It requires experience and understanding of the deepest intricacies of that language! It could take years! Decade sef!
One topic in programming I still have a tough time wrapping my head around totally is Concurrency/Asynchronous/Parallel Programming i.e Multithreading et al. If you have a perfect or almost perfect understanding of that topic, you have what it takes to be a master.
Re: Python Vs C# by Olumyco(m): 9:11pm On Aug 24, 2016
VenantCode:
Nope you just undervalued javascript by limiting it to 3. Javascript can be used to develop on ALL PLATFORMS including embedded systems

Sorry no mind me I was only responding directly to his question. JavaScript na baba

1 Like

Re: Python Vs C# by ugwum007(m): 9:42am On Aug 25, 2016
3 months to learn a programming language. I clap for you unless na copy and paste u dey do
Re: Python Vs C# by LexPrescott(m): 6:49pm On Sep 03, 2016
I learnt Python first. I'd recommend you start with Python, but not because I did so. Most schools in the US teach Python as the first programming language. Python is easier to learn as it has simple syntaxes, making it possible to for the user to focus more on the problem than on the language/syntax. If you start with Pyton, you become familiar with the programming concept. Besides, Python is an interpreted language, so you don't have to worry about memory management and loaders/linkers and all that stuff. Although C++ is faster, you wouldn't worry about speed now as a beginner so I don't think that matters.

Programming is Fun
When the power is on
If you wanna learn, son
Go for Python.

(1) (Reply)

Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked / What Do You Hate Most In Programming / 6 Programming Exercises

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.