Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,557 members, 7,837,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole (20016 Views)

Organic Layer Solution By: Organicfoods / "Agriculture Is My MMM" -Journalist Says As He Shares Photos Of His Farm Produce / Investing In Agriculture Is Never A Waste. Pictures Of My Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by iykomo666(m): 5:01pm On Jun 17, 2017
Shegricho:

Dumb ass, did you read it all?
don't mind that idiot
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by MadCow1: 5:03pm On Jun 17, 2017
Agro business is a chain.

The government is too focused on the farming part which is actually the bottom point of the chain.

So you plant vanilla, export it raw and import vanilla extract and vanilla flavoured foods and drinks.

You plant cassava and import starch and the many other products of cassava.

Or like Ghana that plants cocoa and exports it only to import cocoa powder and chocolate and Milo.

Or Nigeria that produces crude oil and imports Petrol, diesel, aviation fuel and kerosene. (Not a farming example).

Or you farm pigs and import sausages.

Or you plant rubber and sell then import all the rubber components from the same people you sold it to.

The point is without the industries on ground to use up these produce not just for food but the other by products of it, our agriculture pursuit is dead on arrival.

And it is the same for every other sector. So price of crude but there are many nations that we can be selling refined products to. Or iron ore that we mine and still import steel and metal products because in over 30 years Nigeria still can't get a single steel mill up and running.

That is the problem with our government. They think too small. Nobody seems to have the balls to go big and darn the consequences. Just these foolish oldass policies that seems to make us appear to want to relive the old days instead of forging ahead into the future.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by lilreese: 5:05pm On Jun 17, 2017
Interesting
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Lifestone(m): 5:08pm On Jun 17, 2017
Seems the writer is not following the drift of Nigeria policy on Agriculture expecially since Dr Adesina, with his value chain approach to agriculture development, that covers his fears and concerns. Every nation should start from her area of comparative advantage, agriculture is sure for Nigeria
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by gemale(m): 5:27pm On Jun 17, 2017
iamord:
This has been the issue with africans which raises the question as to how we think as a race... It's evident that the Black man thinks towards consumption and not sustainability... Not adding any value but just thinking of today and what ever trends...no grand aspirations.. Just enjoying the menu as it comes.. I read an article about the slave trade era which made me see that in a part of Nigeria... Youths dropped farming to start kidnapping when they saw that the slavery business was booming... When it ended alot of them began to cry fowl.. Same goes to the palm kernel and gold etc... If we want to grow as a people we have to think of sustainability... Adding value to our natural resources and creating brands of it that can compete in the global stage. Else we will keep playing second fiddle...
A very wise person i met in nysc camp called we blacks," the Esau race" & the west "the jacob race". Exactly what Op said, this fellow said breaking down & analysing the virus of consumerism & mediocrity in Africans. An average African aspires just to have money and not to make tangible impact in the world. Esau was a hunter & probably came from the bush with some animals yet he didn't think about cooking it 2 eat before foolishly selling his birthright to jacob for a mess of pottage. The same way we as africans do not think about how to convert our resources to finished products but instead turn it over to the west, who process and sell back the finished products to us at a way higher price. We are so myopic that we are contented with the roles we played during the colonial times as a source of raw materials for the industries of the west. We don't even bother about the fate of the raw materials we send over there & what it's being used for. For example, you hear numerous invitations to seminars on how to make millions from the export of wood charcoal. What the people you are selling the charcoal for, we don't know and we don't care to ask. Imagine if by some secret technological intervention, those people have found a way to rearrange the carbon atoms to that of a diamond? But no, we don't think like that. All that matters to us is to get the money. It wasn't until i watched a foreign documentary that i discovered that charcoal was essential in the production of pig iron. I bemoaned our folly that day. We were busy being encouraged to ship materials to boost another country's iron & steel industry while ours was comatose. When we need metals to build, we would then import tonnes from overseas and we think we can develop with such intellectual deficiency.

2 Likes

Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by gemale(m): 5:32pm On Jun 17, 2017
otunbadan:
For about two weeks this is what has been on my mind,think of Nutella .... Guys just google it. What we need is business savvy systems which will accurately employ financing,production strategy and marketing to create billion dollar companies. Nice write up .
Sir, i've had similar thoughts too but mine was jump started by skippy's.
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by MrOdyssey(m): 5:37pm On Jun 17, 2017
As funny as it may sound Africa And Asia seem to be the world's farm. They produce the raw material for virtually all the food consumed around the word but.

These two continents hold the position of the poorest continents in the world.

Trully, who Agriculture alone don epp.
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jun 17, 2017
yeye post. if we can produce agricultural product and process them to finish goods Nigeria will be great. Nigerians are lazy dy don't want to work. am an agricultural student... agric is like blood money.
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Rick9(m): 6:26pm On Jun 17, 2017
0b100100111:
Would have graduated with a 3rd Class Honors if I could read and assimilate the long epistle.

Can someone please summarize for me in two sentences
Preaching about Agriculture without Agricultural industries is not the way forward.

1 Like

Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Rick9(m): 6:28pm On Jun 17, 2017
This is one of the most brilliant write up I have read in a long while. Sometimes we Africans find it extremely difficult to think.
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Rick9(m): 6:29pm On Jun 17, 2017
EmpresFIDEL:
yeye post. if we can produce agricultural product and process them to finish goods Nigeria will be great. Nigerians are lazy dy don't want to work. am an agricultural student... agric is like blood money.
Are you sure you read the post from start to finish ?
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Rick9(m): 6:30pm On Jun 17, 2017
gemale:

A very wise person i met in nysc camp called we blacks," the Esau race" & the west "the jacob race". Exactly what Op said, this fellow said breaking down & analysing the virus of consumerism & mediocrity in Africans. An average African aspires just to have money and not to make tangible impact in the world. Esau was a hunter & probably came from the bush with some animals yet he didn't think about cooking it 2 eat before foolishly selling his birthright to jacob for a mess of pottage. The same way we as africans do not think about how to convert our resources to finished products but instead turn it over to the west, who process and sell back the finished products to us at a way higher price. We are so myopic that we are contented with the roles we played during the colonial times as a source of raw materials for the industries of the west. We don't even bother about the fate of the raw materials we send over there & what it's being used for. For example, you hear numerous invitations to seminars on how to make millions from the export of wood charcoal. What the people you are selling the charcoal for, we don't know and we don't care to ask. Imagine if by some secret technological intervention, those people have found a way to rearrange the carbon atoms to that of a diamond? But no, we don't think like that. All that matters to us is to get the money. It wasn't until i watched a foreign documentary that i discovered that charcoal was essential in the production of pig iron. I bemoaned our folly that day. We were busy being encouraged to ship materials to boost another country's iron & steel industry while ours was conatose. When we need metals to build, we would then import tonnes from over season and we think we can develop with such intellectual deficiency.
1 Million Likes
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jun 17, 2017
Rick9:

Are you sure you read the post from start to finish ?
hmm I did not jhoor. nice observation though
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Yakzo(m): 6:39pm On Jun 17, 2017
Wisdom
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Flaghouse1: 6:52pm On Jun 17, 2017
This write up is rubbish. Agriculture is the solution, it's just been poorly executed. When you get the said cocoa, the key isn't to import it, you are supposed to pass it down through several production cycles. The skin of the plsnt as fertilizer? The seeds sold to local companies to make their own beverages, chocolate etc. Its the solution, it depends on how you exploit it.

Sorry to say,the write up was well thought through,if it's the same Simon kolawole I know he is not talking rubbish,what we need in this country is to develop agriculture to become a big business by government and private sector investing heavily in this sector.

Where is the backward intergration we use to have those days ? All our manufacturing companies prefer importing raw materials locally available here in order to round trip foreign exchange
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by r2beez(m): 6:59pm On Jun 17, 2017
Op has a point but let me add to his beautiful write up. The problem highlighted above isn't peculiar to agric. Check mining, oil, agric, health, education. all we do is produce without adding value. Our oil isn't refined in our country likewise the raw materials from agriculture isn't processed into final product.

We need to wake up in this country. Even in education, we produce a large no of graduates who lack employable skills by these multinational companies.

Waiting for government to provide enabling environment might be a long wait. Let the individuals or groups wake up and purchase small or medium based equipment and start processing.

Lastly, I will like to add that it is one step at a time cos even the supply of food in nigeria is in deficit. We still import food to feed our people. We are still not adequately supplying the raw materials that we need. May God help Nigeria.
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by mmsen: 7:00pm On Jun 17, 2017
This was not a well thought out article. I'm not a fan of this administration but it usually goes without saying that agriculture leads to process agricultural products. Agribusiness has the term used by the past and current administrations, the author simply hasn't been paying attention.

Rice has to be processed.

Dairy has to be processed.

Tomato likewise.

As to his claim that no roads have been built since 1999 - that depends on which state. Some states have been busier than others and the last administration made great efforts in the rail sector that this administration appears to want to continue (thankfully).
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jun 17, 2017
Lifestone:
Seems the writer is not following the drift of Nigeria policy on Agriculture expecially since Dr Adesina, with his value chain approach to agriculture development, that covers his feats and concerns. Every nation should start from her area of comparative advantage, agriculture is sure for Nigeria
Smart guy.......Value adding old product for new markets, new products for new markets and the the leftover is tendered as an old product for old markets. The returns can tripple the targeted estimation and the good thing is, nothing goes to waste.
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by mmsen: 7:02pm On Jun 17, 2017
MrOdyssey:
As funny as it may sound Africa And Asia seem to be the world's farm. They produce the raw material for virtually all the food consumed around the word but.

It isn't funny at all, if Europe was so wonderful those people would not have had to engage in genocide to remove the native Americans and the Aboriginal Australians from their fertile lands. Nor would they have had to steal from the peoples of Asia and Africa. You're right that those two continents prop up the world but it explains why the Europeans have been so violent over the centuries.

2 Likes

Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jun 17, 2017
MrOdyssey:

I think it is a matter of population and greed bro. See this....Asia produces more than enough but first has to feed the citizens before supplying for the export market. And their polulation is way above way....... Loss. Meaning they compete amongst the greatest food producers but fail when it comes to exporting.....where the money is

SA produces just enough but the problem mostly is that the export specifications are forever altered by these hungry westerners, making the returns less than -. Its every farmer's nightmare
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Lifestone(m): 7:31pm On Jun 17, 2017
jagugu88li:
Smart guy.......Value adding old product for new markets, new products for new markets and the the leftover is tendered as an old product for old markets. The returns can tripple the targeted estimation and the good thing is, nothing goes to waste.
I absolutely agree with you. Maybe I should nominate you for the next Minister for Agriculture and Rural Development
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by otunbadan(m): 7:36pm On Jun 17, 2017
gemale:

Sir, i've had similar thoughts too but mine was jump started by skippy's.

I have never even heard of Skippy's till you mentioned it now, however the customer base is still quit large or there may be something you can workout to make it work, never discourage yet
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jun 17, 2017
Just read the write-up.

This write up is rubbish. Agriculture is the solution, it's just been poorly executed. When you get the said cocoa, the key isn't to import it, you are supposed to pass it down through several production cycles. The skin of the plsnt as fertilizer? The seeds sold to local companies to make their own beverages, chocolate etc. Its the solution, it depends on how you exploit it.
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by 0b100100111: 7:49pm On Jun 17, 2017
Rick9:

Preaching about Agriculture without Agricultural industries is not the way forward.

Thanks

Appreciate

1 Like

Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by GoldHorse(m): 9:10pm On Jun 17, 2017
Tayeni:
free yourself from ignorance and stop leading other people into you hole....
you wanted to appear wise without reading.....but you ended up exposing how empty you are.
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Ugosample(m): 9:11pm On Jun 17, 2017
mmsen:

It isn't funny at all, if Europe was so wonderful those people would not have had to engage in genocide to remove the native Americans and the Aboriginal Australians from their fertile lands. Nor would they have had to steal from the peoples of Asia and Africa. You're right that those two continents prop up the world but it explains why the Europeans have been so violent over the centuries.

What is this one saying

More than half of the countries in Europe had nothing to do with colonialism yet, they are amongst the richest, how do you explain that?

The Europeans explored the world, and it's survival of the fittest...So you have no point there

Africa and Asia props up the world
BIG JOKE.

Africans are just too myopic, and have been selling their birth right for porridge just as one person has said up there for centuries.
And that is why Africa will remain bottom for a long time

But Africans like you will rather blame the Europeans
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by mctowel01: 9:19pm On Jun 17, 2017
Brilliant... This is filed with too much intelligence. This explains why the tomato farmers are often poorer than the owners of GINO tomato paste.

1 Like

Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by GoldHorse(m): 9:24pm On Jun 17, 2017
Tayeni:
free yourself from ignorance and stop leading other people into you hole....
you wanted to appear wise without reading.....but you ended up exposing how empty you are.

It says a lot about you if you cannot present your view, argument or point without being rude..... and I won't call you empty either though your comment is indicative enough by itself.
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Rick9(m): 9:34pm On Jun 17, 2017
EmpresFIDEL:
hmm I did not jhoor. nice observation though
Just try And read it ok , its worth it.

1 Like

Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by wman(m): 10:56pm On Jun 17, 2017
Nice article.

I read Simon Kolawole live in those days.

At the back of Thisday newspapers.
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by DarryOsh(m): 12:26am On Jun 18, 2017
Seungid1:

Kikikikiki, why is this so funny to me? I guess you did not read that intelligent writeup there. South koreans import food, they hardly practise agriculture, do you know where they are in world economy? We are soooo backward around here, jeeeezzzzz!
Nobody is saying agrisulture is not good for us as a country, but it cannot be what the economy will be solely based on.

Please tell him/her about Singapore that practically imports all the food it consumes (and even imports water from Malaysia) . Our youths just have these archaic beliefs, and when you present logical arguments they will just be telling stories and 'solutions' that they have heard over and over again from politicians that are merely throwing dice.They won't check for the validity of the so-called solutions.

By the way, who wrote this thought proviking article? It is just so great.

My people, it's time to make things. Don't just extract. Make things. Even our oil, we just extract, we barely refine. Refineries are dead! It is just sad. I remember Dangote once said that the solution for us is to 'make things'. And that is what he has been doing.
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by MrOdyssey(m): 3:55am On Jun 18, 2017
jagugu88li:
I think it is a matter of population and greed bro. See this....Asia produces more than enough but first has to feed the citizens before supplying for the export market. And their polulation is way above way....... Loss. Meaning they compete amongst the greatest food producers but fail when it comes to exporting.....where the money is

SA produces just enough but the problem mostly is that the export specifications are forever altered by these hungry westerners, making the returns less than -. Its every farmer's nightmare

I beg to disagree with you dear. it not a population explosion issue. remember the higher the population, the bigger the workforce and the larger the market. African and of course Asia has all it takes to take over the worlds food production. we have the land space,labour,market;capital. c'mon mention one factor of production we lack except of course human ingenuity and innovation. I stand solely with the OP on these one.

We are nothing but slaves in the hands of the west.

perhaps you need to see these video to really understand where i am coming from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plqraK5Ibms

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Highhill Plantain Village Now In The Heart Of Abeokuta, Ogun State *pic* / Akwa Ibom Conclude Plans To Start Exporting Bamboo / Anambra To Supply N300m Rice To Businessmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.