Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,369 members, 7,836,491 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole (20013 Views)

Organic Layer Solution By: Organicfoods / "Agriculture Is My MMM" -Journalist Says As He Shares Photos Of His Farm Produce / Investing In Agriculture Is Never A Waste. Pictures Of My Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by juman(m): 5:51am On Jun 18, 2017
Agriculture is the way.

We just need sensible leaders.

Awolowo achieved a lot as premier and became the father of yoruba people, he used money from agriculture to achieve his plans.

We need another awolowos.
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Nobody: 8:27am On Jun 18, 2017
MrOdyssey:

I beg to disagree with you dear. it not a population explosion issue. remember the higher the population, the bigger the workforce and the larger the market. African and of course Asia has all it takes to take over the worlds food production. we have the land space,labour,market;capital. c'mon mention one factor of production we lack except of course human ingenuity and innovation. I stand solely with the OP on these one.

We are nothing but slaves in the hands of the west.

perhaps you need to see these video to really understand where i am coming from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plqraK5Ibms
I had earlier on spoken about value adding....this is a result of that. They only produce raw material and the business day is closed.

Urbanisation has a hand in the lost agricultural value. But I can't blame the government for urbanisation. Urban areas provide many potential advantages for improving living conditions through the economies of scale and proximity. At the end if the day you all want good services, white collar jobs and maybe street lights. Truth be spoken, it has become the in-thing causing so many agricultural activities to be abondoned. Also, Ameriacas John Deere's introducing of one-man-operated machinery has caused many to lose jobs. Therefore, altenative methods of employment are needed but feeding still has to take place. As I said before, for exporting to take place specs have to be met.

Coming back......lets take Asia's rice as an example where population and maybe export specs hinder agricultural explosion.

Level 1
These countries are self-sufficient in rice and are good export markets worldwide.... Japan and Korea. Both are industrialized with rooftop earnings. The problem is they are chasing numbers (demand) of both their land and export and therefore tend to use heavy chemicals as means of increasing production....bad. Decreases their export value....even though they do very great, they could do better. Population and Export Specifications

Level 2
These ones mostly cater for inland domestic needs (Thailand and Vietnam) but, they also target export markets with their surplus....bad. First you export the best there is and then the leftover is sold inland. Their problem is mostly post harvest activities like distribution in relation to the export market and that they tend to mind the inland production specs whilst producing.....failing to meet the export specs. They end up losing and unable to cover production and labour cost for the coming season. Export specifications and population.

Level 3
These ones are as polulated as hell (dont ask me grin) and so they are forced to feed themselves before anything. Mind you, most of the farmers have abondoned their farms and urbanisation is the result. Now, here we have a problem of an inability to calculate and balance between demand to supply because most farms are stand alone farms....as opposed to large firms. Indonesia and Bangladesh have the natural resources but again.... urbanisation. I can agree with you that the system is faulty, given what is happening in these countries. The government together with the farmers simply do not service the irrigation systems or care to build new ones (rice is only produced under certain types of water)....This is because of the lack of reaources caused by 1. Poor governance 2. Urbanization which if not, would have ensured agricuture strives 3. Lack of communication chanels between government and the people. These farmers are every year left with so much suplurs but obviously cannot export it because they never even focused on that in the first place. Governement, illiteracy and my left leg.
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by MrOdyssey(m): 9:49am On Jun 18, 2017
jagugu88li:
I had earlier on spoken about value adding....this is a result of that. They only produce raw material and the business day is closed.

Urbanisation has a hand in the lost agricultural value. But I can't blame the government for urbanisation. Urban areas provide many potential advantages for improving living conditions through the economies of scale and proximity. At the end if the day you all want good services, white collar jobs and maybe street lights. Truth be spoken, it has become the in-thing causing so many agricultural activities to be abondoned. Also, Ameriacas John Deere's introducing of one-man-operated machinery has caused many to lose jobs. Therefore, altenative methods of employment are needed but feeding still has to take place. As I said before, for exporting to take place specs have to be met.

Coming back......lets take Asia's rice as an example where population and maybe export specs hinder agricultural explosion.

Level 1
These countries are self-sufficient in rice and are good export markets worldwide.... Japan and Korea. Both are industrialized with rooftop earnings. The problem is they are chasing numbers (demand) of both their land and export and therefore tend to use heavy chemicals as means of increasing production....bad. Decreases their export value....even though they do very great, they could do better. Population and Export Specifications

Level 2
These ones mostly cater for inland domestic needs (Thailand and Vietnam) but, they also target export markets with their surplus....bad. First you export the best there is and then the leftover is sold inland. Their problem is mostly post harvest activities like distribution in relation to the export market and that they tend to mind the inland production specs whilst producing.....failing to meet the export specs. They end up losing and unable to cover production and labour cost for the coming season. Export specifications and population.

Level 3
These ones are as polulated as hell (dont ask me grin) and so they are forced to feed themselves before anything. Mind you, most of the farmers have abondoned their farms and urbanisation is the result. Now, here we have a problem of an inability to calculate and balance between demand to supply because most farms are stand alone farms....as opposed to large firms. Indonesia and Bangladesh have the natural resources but again.... urbanisation. I can agree with you that the system is faulty, given what is happening in these countries. The government together with the farmers simply do not service the irrigation systems or care to build new ones (rice is only produced under certain types of water)....This is because of the lack of reaources caused by 1. Poor governance 2. Urbanization which if not, would have ensured agricuture strives 3. Lack of communication chanels between government and the people. These farmers are every year left with so much suplurs but obviously cannot export it because they never even focused on that in the first place. Governement, illiteracy and my left leg.

I must confess that i like the way you speak. you kinda argue out your points precisely and intelligible (the quote was long sha but i managed to eat it all up. #wink).

i'm starting to see it from your angle.
I'll like us to discuss more on these and perhaps become friends. i just sent you a PM. check your mail.

Good morning.
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Jessam: 11:21am On Jun 18, 2017
see post below

Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Jessam: 11:30am On Jun 18, 2017
Very great write up.. as one of the biggest pig farms in Nigeria (BTW we also rear chickens, cows, ducks etc) and been in operation for over 5 years Jessam Cattle Ranch & Farms has found that adding value tot the production value chain has been so challenging in Nigeria, As the CP has said the higher up the chin you go the greater the economic value of the farm product or the component of the farm produce. The problem is that in order to go up the value chain you need key infrastructure. Jessam and most other mechanized farms have found that lack of consistent electricity in particular in the farm has made it impossible for us to preserve our farm produce, be it butchered animals or fresh vegetables, without electricity we cannot add value to our products. We would love to slaughter 100 pigs a day, keep them refrigerated and ready to be processed to sausages, bacon, ham, meat pies etc how do we do this without out constant electricity.Even the finished product has to be stored for a couple of weeks in refrigerated store rooms before it gets to the consumer

Bad roads - Without good roads it is literally impossible to embark on processing our produce on a large scale, we need good motorable roads to move livestock and produce from farm to factory, from factory to warehouses over the nation, from warehouse to shops and markets. Unfortunately the roads are so bad and the cost of transportation and damage to vehicles, extended journey times simply erode any gains in moving up the value chain. This is one of the reasons importation of finished goods is more attractive than going the nigerian farm to market route. The importer benefits from the good roads in say Europe to the ship from ship to the port and into Lagos to market so much cheaper and easier.

Security - need I SAY MORE...we all the challenges facing farmers from theft on the actual farms, theft on the highways, thugs extorting lorries on the highways of Nigeria, stealing in factories etc

Nigeria workers mentality - I am sorry to say that many given a job higher up the value chin often see it as a blessing to enrich themselves at the expense of the continued success of the company

add in government policies such as lack of supporting policies to grow the sectors higher up the chain then you realize the reasons why it is so challenging for most mechanised farms to add value on a large scale basis

jessam cattle ranch & farms aims to be a major player in the meat industry and help stop the importation of cheap, rotten, chemical induced meat from being dumped in Nigeria, often slowly ruining our health .

Slow and steady jessam will grow to be a strong brand in food industry. We are based in Enugu. Please enjoy photos our farm. We rear livestock including Cattle, pigs, goats, poultry, ducks. We also process palm oil too.

We currently have a 300 sow operation yielding us around 5000 piglets a year.
Feel free to place your orders 08032455430 or 09099020582.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK0UqV1rQQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj5VRJWxLv0

Quality meats you can trust -- 09099020582 07010112503 or 08037452372

1 Like

Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by vikt: 12:35pm On Jun 18, 2017
If any of you guys think agriculture is not one of the ways through, then let the whole world stop planting anything, and let us see how long we humans will survive without food? Agriculture is the first ever profession in the world and is still one of them, it can never die or be extinct

1 Like

Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by mikolo80: 11:47pm On Jun 19, 2017
Of course it won't be sole solution but it is the key.without it industry cannot stand
Seungid1:

Kikikikiki, why is this so funny to me? I guess you did not read that intelligent writeup there. South koreans import food, they hardly practise agriculture, do you know where they are in world economy? We are soooo backward around here, jeeeezzzzz!
Nobody is saying agrisulture is not good for us as a country, but it cannot be what the economy will be solely based on.
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Flaghouse1: 12:51am On Jun 20, 2017
Jessam:
Very great write up.. as one of the biggest pig farms in Nigeria (BTW we also rear chickens, cows, ducks etc) and been in operation for over 5 years Jessam Cattle Ranch & Farms has found that adding value tot the production value chain has been so challenging in Nigeria, As the CP has said the higher up the chin you go the greater the economic value of the farm product or the component of the farm produce. The problem is that in order to go up the value chain you need key infrastructure. Jessam and most other mechanized farms have found that lack of consistent electricity in particular in the farm has made it impossible for us to preserve our farm produce, be it butchered animals or fresh vegetables, without electricity we cannot add value to our products. We would love to slaughter 100 pigs a day, keep them refrigerated and ready to be processed to sausages, bacon, ham, meat pies etc how do we do this without out constant electricity.Even the finished product has to be stored for a couple of weeks in refrigerated store rooms before it gets to the consumer

Bad roads - Without good roads it is literally impossible to embark on processing our produce on a large scale, we need good motorable roads to move livestock and produce from farm to factory, from factory to warehouses over the nation, from warehouse to shops and markets. Unfortunately the roads are so bad and the cost of transportation and damage to vehicles, extended journey times simply erode any gains in moving up the value chain. This is one of the reasons importation of finished goods is more attractive than going the nigerian farm to market route. The importer benefits from the good roads in say Europe to the ship from ship to the port and into Lagos to market so much cheaper and easier.

Security - need I SAY MORE...we all the challenges facing farmers from theft on the actual farms, theft on the highways, thugs extorting lorries on the highways of Nigeria, stealing in factories etc

Nigeria workers mentality - I am sorry to say that many given a job higher up the value chin often see it as a blessing to enrich themselves at the expense of the continued success of the company

add in government policies such as lack of supporting policies to grow the sectors higher up the chain then you realize the reasons why it is so challenging for most mechanised farms to add value on a large scale basis

jessam cattle ranch & farms aims to be a major player in the meat industry and help stop the importation of cheap, rotten, chemical induced meat from being dumped in Nigeria, often slowly ruining our health .

Slow and steady jessam will grow to be a strong brand in food industry. We are based in Enugu. Please enjoy photos our farm. We rear livestock including Cattle, pigs, goats, poultry, ducks. We also process palm oil too.

We currently have a 300 sow operation yielding us around 5000 piglets a year.
Feel free to place your orders 08032455430 or 09099020582.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK0UqV1rQQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj5VRJWxLv0

Quality meats you can trust -- 09099020582 07010112503 or 08037452372

Thank you for your contribution to this important discourse,what I see here is that the government is just playing to the gallery,with your effort to grow the agricultural value chain the government effort is really not encouraging to protect your business-bad road,poor electricity,warehousing. Facilities

I pray things change for the better,just can't imagine someone investing overN50 million on agro allied business and cannot make a net profit of N500,000 monthly with all the antecedent cost incurred due to government inadeqacies in the sector
Re: Agriculture Is Not The Magic Solution - By Simon Kolawole by Preprobiotics: 7:25pm On Jun 25, 2017
Molasses and Lactobacillus Serum for Livestock, Poultry and Home Use
Undiluted Organic Molasses for Strong Nutritional Value with many Health Benefits. Lactobachillus a Superb Growth Booster for Livestock, Poultry and Fish Farming, Also an effective Foul ODOUR Removal for Farms, Households, Dust Bins,Sewage, etc.
Call: 08121790440 Price from =N=1,500

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Highhill Plantain Village Now In The Heart Of Abeokuta, Ogun State *pic* / Akwa Ibom Conclude Plans To Start Exporting Bamboo / Anambra To Supply N300m Rice To Businessmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.