Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,028 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:58 AM

No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers (28521 Views)

Lady Names Her Dog After Hushpuppi, See The Striking Resemblance / No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers / No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person — Lawyers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by mayoor15(m): 2:32pm On Aug 24, 2016
Not supporting anyone here but imagine your name is demilade, your neighbour named his dog demilade, your friends came to visit you and you are all chilling outside then your neighbour came back home and calls demilade, only for you to answer him then he said he was referring to his dog, how will you feel, or he even did it in front of your girlfriend....Think there is freedom of speech, expression blah blah blah but there should still be common sense in what we do

3 Likes

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by hobermener: 2:32pm On Aug 24, 2016
T
Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by PASCALSILVA(m): 2:33pm On Aug 24, 2016
Agriman:
Dog is dog, giving human name to a poor dog is irritating
smiley...Bleep MAN ..WHY ARE THEY CALLED PET THEN..IF I BUY MY GERMAN DOG .AM PLANNING TO BUY TAKE ME TO COURT FOR NAMING IT..AGRIMANsmiley..THANK U

3 Likes

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by Adeyeancah(m): 2:34pm On Aug 24, 2016
Ohammadike:
Naming the dog buhari is a huge insult on the dog
He for name the dog Ohammadike instead grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by Pinklipz01: 2:34pm On Aug 24, 2016
egberi oh. see me see wahala oh. na my fault say my dog name na Adams Oshiomole? grin

2 Likes

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by Mandeme(m): 2:36pm On Aug 24, 2016
The truth has to be told

4 Likes

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by 9jatatafo(m): 2:37pm On Aug 24, 2016
Naming a pet after anyone is no criminal offence but what the man who named his dog the name he chose under the prevailing condition was bad. He had a quarrel with a northerner and the name of the northerner is what the accused person chose to name his pet, we learnt that he went to the extent of writing the name on both sides of the pet. The problem is, the community they both live is populated by northerners and this could incite the northerners into violence knowing very well how volatile these people are. The court could find him guilty of "INCITEMENT" and BREACHING OF PUBLIC PEACE. He has to prove his case beyond reasonable doubt knowing fully well that facts win cases and not truth.

1 Like

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by mbhs139(m): 2:38pm On Aug 24, 2016
cktheluckyman:

The incoming Second National Vice President of the Nigeria Bar Association, NBA, Mr. Monday Ubani, yesterday, said that no offence is committed by someone naming his dog after somebody else.

He said: “In the eye of the law, it is not criminal for somebody to name his or her dog after another person. It may be offensive by examining the circumstances under which the incident happened.

“I understand that a particular dog was named after a neighbour and both of them were not in good terms; in a Hausa community somewhere in the South-West.

So expediency would have prevailed on him not to name his dog after somebody he was quarrelling with.

“The Bible says wisdom profited for direction. Anything you are doing must be with wisdom. If such a thing would provoke unnecessary argument, you should avoid it.”

Another Lagos-based lawyer, Mr. Tunji Muyedeen, said: “As far as I am concerned, there is no way such offence could be sustained in law. Anybody can name his pet after anybody’s name.

“He can even call the pet his name. However, spurious charge or charges may be preferred against such person.

“All of us will be living witnesses to the trial of the man. We will see what evidence the prosecution has to prosecute the accused person.”

For human rights activist, Mr. Okey Nwaguna, prosecution must show that accused had the intent to cause breach of public peace.

He said: “The motive of an accused is never and can never be established by the charge: it must be established by evidence.

“Prosecution must show that accused had the intent to cause a breach of public peace. What constitutes ‘public’ is key.”
Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by AgentApple: 2:39pm On Aug 24, 2016
He said: “The motive of an accused is never and can never be established by the charge: it must be established by evidence.

“Prosecution must show that accused had the intent to cause a breach of public peace. What constitutes ‘public’ is key.”

Brilliant!

This case is actually dead on arrival unless Idi Amin Buhari will throw the man in jail against court orders like we have witnessed with nnamdi Kanu.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by damon222: 2:40pm On Aug 24, 2016
I have said it many times that all those who are supporting the donkey called Buhari are all crying secretly. Buhari was hiding under militari government. The ways of the military is only orders without challenge, otherwise Buhari is just empty being. He is nothing under normal, well structured and decent nation. His tribe is in majority and therefore feel to misbahave otherwise, how on earth can a people elect a man without school certificate withoout any defence for that offence to be elected to rule. Besides look at his age. This country is in the greatest danger because Buhari is temptation to this country.

1 Like

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by neocortex: 2:40pm On Aug 24, 2016
Pinklipz01:
egberi oh. see me see wahala oh. na my fault say my dog name na Adams Oshiomole? grin

I pity you, if Adams report you to our corrupt policemen,
you will be treated like a death row prisoner.

2 Likes

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by mbhs139(m): 2:42pm On Aug 24, 2016
mayoor15:
Not supporting anyone here but imagine your name is demilade, your neighbour named his dog demilade, your friends came to visit you and you are all chilling outside then your neighbour came back home and calls demilade, only for you to answer him then he said he was referring to his dog, how will you feel, or he even did it in front of your girlfriend....Think there is freedom of speech, expression blah blah blah but there should still be common sense in what we do

...that freedom is not absolute, where your right stops is where other people's right start from. Like someone said, the man's action is incitement, provocative and an attempt on breach of trust.

I wonder who the hell that Ubani is, NBA chairman indeed.

1 Like

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by Okeikpu(m): 2:44pm On Aug 24, 2016
Ohammadike:
Naming the dog buhari is a huge insult on the dog
MY BROTHER I TAYA O grin grin DOWGS R VERY SMART.....
HE SHUDAV NAME HIS GOAT AFTER DAT DAURA DULLARDO

1 Like

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by danigbo(m): 2:45pm On Aug 24, 2016
May GANI FAWEHIMNI continue to rest in peace

1 Like

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by sexychocho(f): 2:45pm On Aug 24, 2016
Hmmmmmmmm

Let d sleeping dog lie

To be sincere Y shud he name his dog Buhari, itz highly disrespectful and uncalled for

According to wat one of d lawyers said dat sumone can be punished if u name a dog after ur neighbour whom u r fighting, therefore itz so glaring dat Some Nigerians r not hapi with Buhari and it may be felt dat d guy intentionally named d dog buhari to tarnish Buhari's image.

Y do sum Nigerians like implicating themselves wen u knw u can be in trouble.
Y not Stay away from troubles and live in peace
Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by easyhacq(m): 2:45pm On Aug 24, 2016
I hereby give this administration a seven days ultimatum to do something on this harsh economy OR else I would decamped to Wailing Wailers.
Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by Alexgeneration(m): 2:45pm On Aug 24, 2016
For clarity on this matter,check Section 249(1)(d) of the criminal code cap 29 vol 11 laws of Ogun state and the subsequent interpretation of the section by the Supreme court in the case of Nelson Ohanyere & 9 others VS Inspector Gen. Of Police (1957). Also consider Section 36(12),35,39 CFRN. Pls we should not let lawlessness to thrive.LEGALLY, THAT MAN IS INNOCENT.However,morally,he might be guilty.But morality is relative.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by ebenholer(m): 2:47pm On Aug 24, 2016
Tell me one reason why I should join nigeria police force even if given a free employment to start with inspector...there are works that are not dignifying in Nigeria, police work is one of them. They started this evil from inception.
Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by Ajuma002(f): 2:48pm On Aug 24, 2016
bluaero:
Poor dog. How could the man have given the innocent dog such a disgusting name
lmao Kai ya own thick

2 Likes

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by BoneTackle: 2:50pm On Aug 24, 2016
MadCow1:
Mtcheeeew.. He named, shaved the name into the side and then paraded the Dog for all to see. angry

That Nigga should get atleast 6 Months in Prison.. angry

Quote me and get double Ibi.. angry
Keep supporting evil and tyranny with very silly comments every now and then you here

Ill just keep observing you

3 Likes

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by Paulynez(m): 2:51pm On Aug 24, 2016
bluaero:
Poor dog. How could the man have given the innocent dog such a disgusting name

CHISORS!

1 Like

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by Ofemmanu1: 2:51pm On Aug 24, 2016
cktheluckyman:

I never knew I insulted by pigs by naming them after the dullard and his family members!!! Oh Poor pigs cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
"buhari" means a gworo chewing basterrd OR a kunu sippin dullardo daura cow.
If the pigs could talk, they'l curse the name.
Next time, you should know the meaning of a name before you adorn it on your pigs.
"buhari" is a horrible name.
Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by Alexgeneration(m): 2:51pm On Aug 24, 2016
9jatatafo:
Naming a pet after anyone is no criminal offence but what the man who named his dog the name he chose under the prevailing condition was bad. He had a quarrel with a northerner and the name of the northerner is what the accused person chose to name his pet, we learnt that he went to the extent of writing the name on both sides of the pet. The problem is, the community they both live is populated by northerners and this could incite the northerners into violence knowing very well how volatile these people are. The court could find him guilty of "INCITEMENT" and BREACHING OF PUBLIC PEACE. He has to prove his case beyond reasonable doubt knowing fully well that facts win cases and not truth.
Pls what is breach of public peace? You can help yourself by looking out for the supreme court's interpretation and also consider Section 36(12) CFRN. Thank You

1 Like

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by NameChecker: 2:52pm On Aug 24, 2016
MadCow1:
Mtcheeeew.. He named, shaved the name into the side and then paraded the Dog for all to see. angry

That Nigga should get atleast 6 Months in Prison.. angry

Quote me and get double Ibi.. angry

Don't mind those E-diots,
Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by MadCow1: 2:53pm On Aug 24, 2016
BoneTackle:
Keep supporting evil and tyranny with very silly comments every now and then you here

Ill just keep observing you

Election Observer.. grin

This has nothing to do with tyranny.. I am sure the Presidency did not sanction this Man's arrest. He fhucked up. Probably for a laugh and out of ignorance.

Sadly, not all foolishness goes without repercussion.
Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by Ofemmanu1: 2:54pm On Aug 24, 2016
easyhacq:
I hereby give this administration a seven days ultimatum to do something on this harsh economy OR else I would decamped to Wailing Wailers.
No more forms oh!
Even photocopy sef, e no dey.

2 Likes

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by BlackSeptember: 2:55pm On Aug 24, 2016
Buhari is a big fool
Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by ebenholer(m): 2:55pm On Aug 24, 2016
sexychocho:
Hmmmmmmmm

Let d sleeping dog lie

To be sincere Y shud he name his dog Buhari, itz highly disrespectful and uncalled for

According to wat one of d lawyers said dat sumone can be punished if u name a dog after ur neighbour whom u r fighting, therefore itz so glaring dat Some Nigerians r not hapi with Buhari and it may be felt dat d guy intentionally named d dog buhari to tarnish Buhari's image.

You are giving these so called leaders too much attention, that is why they fail to live above expectation. I don't think Buhari alone bears the name through out nigeria, why can't others even all those who bear the name rise up to challenge the man in the law suite. Above all, the action of the man who named the dog is not Christ-like if done out of hatred for nigeria president or his neighbors.

1 Like

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 24, 2016
The man and his dog has become a celeb overnight...now naming of pets will trend. Nigerian lawyers no even know the law

1 Like

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by holluphemydavid(m): 2:57pm On Aug 24, 2016
Just name my neighbor's bull dog Buhari now sef

1 Like

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by BoneTackle: 2:57pm On Aug 24, 2016
sexychocho:
Hmmmmmmmm

Let d sleeping dog lie

little girl please shut up

a dog was named obama heaven did not fall

We have dogs with names such as Jack, Billy, Dolly, Tom, Aaron

Even ugly obasanjo named a chimpanzee Patience after the former first lady

There was another fool who named his goat Jonathan, we didnt see any trouble anywhere.

so why would naming a dog buhari be any different and cause trouble. Who the hell is Buhari that he cannot be insultred? Infact its even an insult to the dog to be called bohari, because even non-living things such as a stone is even more reasonable than buhari

Days ago awusa/foolanis murdered 8 persons, these are the kinds of senseless troubles any reason human should condemn and not very trivial issues such as dog naming.

Nonsense!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Criminal Implications In Naming Dog After Person —lawyers by Ofemmanu1: 2:58pm On Aug 24, 2016
AgentApple:

Brilliant!

This case is actually dead on arrival unless Idi Amin Buhari will throw the man in jail against court orders like we have witnessed with nnamdi Kanu.
You mean bubu is above the law?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Nairalander Shows Off His Beautiful Puppies. (photos) / Would You Allow Your Dog To Kill A Thief/Robber In Your Home? / Help Me Rate These GSD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.