Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,245 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) - Music/Radio (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) (47668 Views)

Airforce 1 On STV Right Now, Nigerian Idols season V / Pepsi Nigerian Idols / Dare Art Alade On American Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by hola2ng(m): 1:42pm On May 07, 2007
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by ikejoe(m): 2:21pm On May 07, 2007
timi is just good!!!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 7:50pm On May 07, 2007
JERRY GIRL IS OUT!!! Am I happy or what?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by profade1(m): 6:14am On May 08, 2007
What can I say? I am just happy I was proved wrong. Hurray!!!!!!!!!!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 3:27pm On May 08, 2007
The double-header spectacular was a bad idea. Well intentioned, but a very bad idea. It’s tough enough having only one week to prepare to perform one song, let alone two songs in the same one week. And the result of this bad idea was glaringly obvious on the night; the shining reputations of some of Idols finest were badly dented while it produced some unlikely heroes. But the most glaring thing noticeable from the night’s performances was that all the contestants had concentrated on one song. They had each perfected and polished their second songs until they glowed but left the first songs dull and lifeless.

Now, where do they get off telling Jerrilyn to open the show? But open the show she did, with a performance of Mary J Blige’s “Never Too Much” that had all the energy and personality of a candle. She was absolutely horrendous and she set the tone for the first half of the night. Temitayo was up next singing Whitney Houston’s “I’m your baby tonight.” She pushed that voice hard and managed to come up with a markedly better performance than Jerrilyn. But the effort she put into it gave me the impression of walking across a cracked sheet of glass suspended high above a gorge; I actually was cringing in anticipation of the expected notes gone wrong but she somehow made it across the gorge without breaking the glass.

Eric came to do fellow Nigerian Seal’s grammy award winner “Kiss from a Rose.” That is a song of ethereal beauty. From the lyrics to the unusual instrumentation, it is a song I once thought would always be beautiful no matter who performed it. But Idols “fine boy showed me otherwise. The performance was anemic, totally lacking the presence of the original. I’m not sure Eric deserves to be in the Top 5 but of course nothing concerning Idols conforms to logic.

When Timi was announced as performing Flying Without Wings, a song performed by Westlife and reprised by Reuben Studdard on American Idol, I got all warm and tingly because I thought Timi was going to totally bring it with that track. And he got off to a beautiful start. There’s no quarreling with that voice. It’s a voice that will sell millions of cds, if he can just manage to stay with the beat. For the second performance in a row, Timi lost concentration and went off beat. Not many noticed as they were carried away with the sheer appeal of that honeyed voice, but he lost track of the beat and tried to improvise with much less success than last time. If you know that song, listen to the end of Timi’s rendition and you’ll find that it doesn’t quite sit with the music. Timi, pay attention to the music. Leave the fans alone, they love you anyway. Mess up again and you’ll find out just how fickle Idols fans are.

In one of my earlier posts I had pointed out that Omawumi never brings originality to her performances. She always tries to perform the song just as the original was done, and she usually does a brilliant job of mimicking those top performers. But her performance of Mary J Blige’s “Be without you” took mimicry to a whole new level. She actually tried to sound like Mary J, adopting a contra-alto that raised the hackles on the back of my neck. I was awestruck as I witnessed one of Idols’ finest deliver a performance I wouldn’t have believed possible even from Jerrilyn. It was utterly demoralizing and she was lucky she had a second song to fall back on. Otherwise, without a doubt she would have been going home on Monday night.
For her second song, Jerrilyn performed Christina Aguilera’s “the Voice Within.” Didn’t I say the girl could actually sing? She surprised, nay, stunned me into a frenzy of applause when she ended a beautiful rendition that Miss Aguilera would have been proud of. From the first note, I sat up and watched intently as she took the song through its meandering tune changes with her voice steadier and sweeter than I had ever heard it before. Even a tricky modulation couldn’t get her to put a note wrong. I couldn’t believe it was the same girl who had only moments earlier made me wonder for the umpteenth time what she was still doing on Idols. I was happy for her. It seems she’s finally getting the self-pity out of the way and getting into the singing.

Temitayo returned with a World Cup theme song “Reach” as performed by Gloria Estefan and I prepared for more cracked glass walking. She wasn’t quite so fortunate this time as the glass shattered within her first line. But miraculously she didn’t fall completely and recovered sufficiently to deliver an average rendition of the song. But we’re sure she’ll still be here by next Sunday.

Eric is so nasal, it’s surprising that he can talk normally at all. His attempt at Lionel Richie’s all time hit “All Night Long” was a strange experience for me. Dry in some patches, laborious when he had to draw out a low note, fake dancing that made him appear to be trying too hard, and that white jacket just grated on my eyes. The singing wasn’t that hot and I suspect Eric may just be running out of time on Idols.

Timi needed to redeem himself from his first performance and he did so brilliantly with another great performance. This time it was Michael Bolton’s “How am I supposed to live without you.” He brought that voice to full effect singing a song that seemed written for it. Timi is definitely the favourite for the title now that Jodie’s gone. He truly is a phenomenal singer and performer.

Omawumi was on the brink of elimination if we were to judge her by her first song, and she needed to really do something spectacular to save her skin. She found it in her second song, Gloria Gaynor’s liberation anthem, “I will survive.” She sang from the depths of her soul and with every fibre of her being and she got me to believe in the words she was singing. And she pulled a variation on her sustained high note, actually varying the tune within the note. I was beside myself with admiration. Then there was a bit where she actually spoke the words instead of singing them; she infused such attitude into the words that I couldn’t help jumping onto my couch, (I actually get very carried away with Idols). She brought the house down and it was a fitting way to end a night of good bad and ugly performances.

Missed the results show because of work but learnt that Africa’s answer to Houdini has finally been eliminated. It’s ironic that she was eliminated after delivering her best ever performance. It makes me begin to wonder if the “voting” isn’t fixed. Anyway, Christina Aguilera’s “The Voice Within” became Jerrilyn’s Swan Song. She needs to listen to the voice within and decide on a career path. She could make a pretty decent balladeer if she gets the right people interested, or a pole dancer. It was nice having her around, if only to be our pet hate. We wish her all the very best.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 6:19pm On May 08, 2007
@LawyerChap. Great Job. I agree with most of your analysis. They all performed better in their second songs. I actually noticed some inconsistency in Timi's ending but I don't know the song too well, so I let it pass. So he went off-beat again? The guy needs to be caned. Now there's no real competition for him he should not in anyway let down his guard. Omawumi totally annoyed me when she took that Mary J's song. I mean what on earth was she thinking? Why the thick voice? Mary J don't sound half like that. She also missed a lot of notes. I was so annoyed maybe because when Mike majic announced the song, I had thought to myself "Now that Jodie is gone, Omawumi is the only one who can do that song well" and she so proved me wrong. It was the worst performance of the night but she was saved with that second performance. Jerrilyn actually surprised me with that second song. She's got a good voice (sentiments aside) and she used it well in that song. My guess is she was just not ready for Idols yet. Maybe if she tries again next year, she would have learnt better voice control and would stand a better chance to actually win without sentiments. Temitayo's performances were just there. No magic, no wow moments, too average. Eric just messed up that "Kiss from a rose". He was too dry. He didn't put life into that song. Is it just me or is Eric shy or lacks confidence? Otherwise why didn't he express himself well enough? Why did he hesitate to sing and use that voice? When it was time for the bridge, he actually looked like he was going to drive it home, but he seemed to hesitate and then he lost his bearing. He started the bridge way behind the instrumental and in the process lost the magic behind that "Aaaaaaaaaave beeeeeeeeeen , kissed by a rose from the grave" (I believe someone knows what I'm talking about). I finally gave up on him there and then. His second song had more spirit, but it seems as if Eric hesitates before singing some parts and then the magic moments are gone. I don't know, he probably needs more confidence. He actually has a good voice (apparent from his "End of the road" performance) and he could even do than Timi if he puts that voice to good use. Eric Wake up!!! You might not survive next week if you continue this way!!
Well my review of the top 5 is available on my blog [here]. Everyone's invited to read. The competition's getting hotter. I hope we get some surprises before the end.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 8:45pm On May 08, 2007
I am not sure if I agree with you that Timi went off, is it not that he tries to change the song to make it his own?. In his own style and way.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by shadex1(m): 11:12pm On May 08, 2007
Men Timi Is A Star.I have liked him right from his first audtion and i knew if the judges didnt pick him they would be making the biggest mistake in the competition.I will kill to have him win this competition.lol.they should just end this whole competition cos we all know he is the winner.He is on a whole nother level And he would sure blow the judges away if he were to perform on a world class level.
I think He is the best thing that has happened to Idols and If Michael Bolton Should hear Timi's Audition for the 'How Am I Suppose To Live Without You'He would definitely be like woh!.I kind of knew he was going to sing michael bolton's song cos he kind of sounds like michael bolton. but i was expecting soul Provider,i just hope he would do that on sunday.Any which wayz.Vote for Timi and lets be real.Eric is fine yea but this competetion is not about the looks,he should go cos he is not even getting better.
I pity mercy,She had the best voice in the whole competion but i guess her heights was a big minus for her.even though people would say no,The truth still remains that her height is part of the reasons or prolly the main reason she didnt make it to this level.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Everbright(f): 7:15am On May 09, 2007
I pray Timi wins
All others are really trying
But man,the guy is a born star cheesy
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 7:59am On May 09, 2007
Huh Jerri is out.Let the best man win
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by cabali(m): 10:41am On May 09, 2007
thats Tim, the way I see it. he had me shook from the first tinie I witnessed his performance
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by makin(m): 11:23am On May 09, 2007
lawyerchap:

Eric came to do fellow Nigerian Seal’s grammy award winner “Kiss from a Rose.” That is a song of ethereal beauty. From the lyrics to the unusual instrumentation, it is a song I once thought would always be beautiful no matter who performed it. But Idols “fine boy showed me otherwise. The performance was anemic, totally lacking the presence of the original. I’m not sure Eric deserves to be in the Top 5 but of course nothing concerning Idols conforms to logic.
From day one, I found this "rabbit-ear" dude to be a fluke, His first spectacular, he went on to do a sing a long with audience.
He made Tosin Martin's (soon- to- become)classic song sound like a Mike Morrison synthesized nasal renditions, and during the double header, he and along with galpal Temitayo gave us not one but TWO dull performances.
Can someone please tell the Abuja fine boy that audience desires to hear the song, not sonorous warthog snorts!!! angry
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 2:21pm On May 09, 2007
Mercy's problem was not only her height. It was her facial expressions, she screwed up her face and eyes terribly when she sang and that made her lose all stage presence. She also did not know how to sing to the audience and connect with them. Eric is desperately trying to copy Timi's stage moves, but he just lacks the intensity and passion of performaning. He does not connect with his lyrics. I have said it many times, but his big ears and terrible smile just do not do it for me. Let alone his voice, which is not great.
Temitayo is too erratic, from not bad to shocking, but she lacks a distinctive voice, although her stage presence is good.
Omiwamu, can be excellent and then sometimes very ordinary and Sunday's first song was absolute disaster.
The top 3 in my opinion should have been Joan, Timi and Jodie, but for me Timi was always the one, because he has the performance edge over everyone as well as his voice moves me,
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bonini: 2:30pm On May 09, 2007
Hi guys, just found this site and love it. To Jodie's fans, am sorry but I really didn't like her. She can sing, yes but her voice was too hush always. She was not flexible enough. If you are in entertainment you have to satisfy different types of people and must therefore try new things all the times. I am not sorry she's gone. Timi's the best in the competition, Eric's good looking so he's not going anywhere. Those looks are worth keeping for a while. As for Dan, just leave Eric alone and loose some weight so that you are not so jelous of him. My prediction of the final 2, Timi (because of talent) and Eric (because of looks).
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Saruni: 1:28pm On May 10, 2007
Hi everyone,

just came across this site and found it interesting to read everyone's views. I have been following Idols and - as many here - have been sad about some of the best people being voted out of the competition while others are still there.
As for most people on this forum, my facourite is Time. However, anticipating further disappointment with regards to the voting results, I have been watching Nokia First Chance a couple of times and find some of the contenders there much more capable than those remaining at Idols West Africa (with the exception of Timi).

On the male side, I think that the strongest singer at Nokia First Chance is Enjel whose voice could easily compete with Timi although he clearly does not have the stage presence that Timi has.
On the female side, my clear favourite is Justina - she has an amazing voice and a stage presence far better than anyone's at Idols (including Timi!) - I saw her on stage once and literally was blown away, as was pretty much everyone else who saw her. What I really like about her is how natural she is, how she is visibly enjoying what she is doing and the way in which she connects with both the audience and the songs - the enthusiasm with which she embraces every song she sings and makes them her own.
I also find Justina a lot more attractive than any of the female singers on Idols - I checked out her website (www.justina-ogunlolu.com) and there are some quite appealing pictures of her - check out www.justina-ogunlolu.com/pic06e.htm.

One thing I prefer about Nokia First Chance compared to Idols is their voting system which I find more tuned towards allowing the best contender to win as the judges' opinion weighs in the decision on who is evicted. Thus, it will be impossible for a voting cartel to keep a less capable singer in the competition as we are seeing it happening at Idols West Africa.

I will continue cheering for Timi at Idols but if he is voted out, I will turn my full attention to Nokia First Chance as the true West African Idol might actually be found there.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 8:17pm On May 10, 2007
Do these Nokia guys have a website? Can't seem to find anything on them
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by cabali(m): 9:27pm On May 10, 2007
I would like to Know too.

meanwhile TIMl still gat the hook shook!!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Saruni: 1:32am On May 11, 2007
Haven't found a specific website either. However, the show is on various channels on Saturdays and Sundays (STV, NTV, Galaxy).
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Aziza(f): 4:14pm On May 11, 2007
Just looking in for Timi's fans. cool We have created an online community of Timi's Fans. Visit the site at http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/timisfans/. To Subscribe: Send a mail to timisfans-subscribe@yahoogroups.com or visit the site address above and select "Join this Group!".  grin Join up. There is strength in numbers. Best wishes to all lovers of music. wink
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 7:58am On May 12, 2007
LOL

Who is likely to win?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 12:51pm On May 12, 2007
Am interviewing jodie for a piece in next month's creativiti magazine. interview is for 2pm sunday (tomorrow). what would you guys like me to ask her? send in your questions here.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by molluma(f): 6:40pm On May 12, 2007
well ask how she feels that jerry got more votes than she did. and o we love to know her plans and if pple hv been callin her to support her career.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by cabali(m): 8:44pm On May 12, 2007
@Aziza we are in full Support and I will def. Sign up
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Aziza(f): 8:11pm On May 13, 2007
Laywerchap, please ask Jodie if Sony BMG has given her a record deal. That's the rumour we hear. As her what she really felt when he name was announced as the person to leave instead of Jerrilyn. Was it surprise or disappointment or both? Best wishes.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 9:51pm On May 13, 2007
My summary of tonight.

Temitayo, both performances flat and dreadful. I am beginning to think she is worse than Jerrilyn ever was. She is attractive and a nice package, but her voice is really bad.
Eric, has developed a new habit of pushing his tongue in his cheek, that simply irritates me, I am not sure if it is a smug expression, or what. His songs specially the second one should have been tailormade to suit him, they were not challenging at all, however, and I have made no disguise of the fact that I hate his voice, it is totally nasal and one dimensional.
Omawumi, was excellent. Both songs suited her well and the producers gave her good songs that did her justice. In fact she had the best songs given to her. I could picture Timi singing First cut is the deepest.
Timi, although excellent on Faith, was not a song that I would have expected him to do well in. George Michael's voice is about as extreme from Timi's as you can get. George Benson, second song, was the most challenging song given to anyone by far . It is firstly a jazz song, there are parts in that song, that you just cannot sing and requires back up singers for them, and was not a song to show off Timi's strong vocals. He was not happy with the song from the minute he stepped up, his normal confidence was just not there.
Somebody mentioned on the main forum they should have been given one slow song and one fast song and I wholeheartedly agree.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 12:09am On May 14, 2007
I miss Jodie sad

I haven't watched idols ever since she left save from reading some posts here. I have totally ignored the forum

For me the minute she was out the intensity of competition diminished, the thought of listening to potentially mediocre performances for another 5 weeks just put me off

I like Omawumi but she's hit and miss wonder
I liked Timi too but I almost think he's not taking it seriously
even like Temitayo but she can't sing and if she wants too she she should get some training
Eric on the other hand should remember that plenty ugly men dey succeed in the music industry ( Seal)
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 8:16am On May 14, 2007
Am interviewing jodie for a piece in next month's creativiti magazine. interview hasn't held yet because of some issues with getting clearance from M-Net. So if you've go a question you'd like me to ask her, just post it here please. We're looking at next weekend for the interview, so please send in your questions here. My review of last night's performances is on the way.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by kliverpool(m): 8:19am On May 14, 2007
Are u guys watching the show ?
you should talk about the people left on the show ,how they are performing.
who do u think is the best.

FOR ME TIMI IS THE ONLY REASON I WATCH THE SHOW.
ERIC JUST FINE FACE NOT GOOD ENOUGH
AND THE GIRLS DEY JUST DEY NOTHING SPECIAL

AND FOR CELTEL I THINK THEY ARE NOT SMART
THEY PUT THE SHOW ON MNET
HOW MANY NIGERIANS HAVE MNET
THEY COULD HAVE RUN IT LIVE ON LOCAL STATIONS TOO.
THAT WILL GUARANTY THEM TOO MUCH VOTE FOR THEM TO MAKE MONEY
FROM SPONSORING THE SHOW.
OTHER AFRICAN WILL VOTE TOO BUT OTHER REGION MAY NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THE SHOW SINCE ITS WEST AFRICAN THING
ALMOST ALL THE CONTESTANT ARE FROM NIGERIA AND YET MAJORITY OF  NIGERIANS DID NOT GET THE CHANCE TO SEE THEM (LIVE).

THEY SHOULD EMPLOY YOUNG PEOPLE  THAT CAN THINK THEY NO GO GREE
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Kemjisuper(m): 8:42am On May 14, 2007
@kliverpool

Do you realize Timi really F****d up Big time Last night. Could you imagine he forgot the lyrics of his second song, after jumping on and off the stage on the first son? I think he's becoming over-confident at this critical stage of the competition and it's getting to his head. He'd better watch out or say goodbye to his dreams.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by molluma(f): 10:01am On May 14, 2007
Kemjisuper:

@kliverpool

Do you realize Timi really F****d up Big time Last night. Could you imagine he forgot the lyrics of his second song, after jumping on and off the stage on the first son? I think he's becoming over-confident at this critical stage of the competition and it's getting to his head. He'd better watch out or say goodbye to his dreams.
its not a matter of fing up or being over confident its the issue of having a week to learn a song u hv neva heard of b4.not only do u learn it you have to sing it 4 pple to enjoy.he is still my person
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Elgaxton(m): 10:38am On May 14, 2007
molluma:

its not a matter of fing up or being over confident its the issue of having a week to learn a song u hv never heard of before.not only do u learn it you have to sing it 4 people to enjoy.he is still my person

Are you sayin one week is not enough to learn SOMEONE'S Song considering the fact that is the only

work he has to do wthin that week, just learning a song,

Abeg he was not serious enough with the rehearsals jare!

I WISH UCHE WAS STILL IN THE GAME HE'S THE BOMB MEN FOR THOSE WHO KNOW MUSIC(I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT JUST MUSIC LISTENERS)
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by molluma(f): 10:52am On May 14, 2007
no its not.hv u seen there schdule it is hectic.ok try learnin a song u dont know or like in a week and remember u hv to make pple like it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (24) (Reply)

Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim / Wizkid Joins Justin Bieber On Stage To Perform Essence: PICS & VIDEO / Eedris Abdulkareem Is Battling Kidney Failure Seeks Fans' Prayers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.