Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,548 members, 7,819,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) - Music/Radio (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) (47679 Views)

Airforce 1 On STV Right Now, Nigerian Idols season V / Pepsi Nigerian Idols / Dare Art Alade On American Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 8:18am On May 18, 2007
@Icon,
I know George Benson is tough to do, but that is no excuse. It is tough only in regards to technique, not in regards to remembering the words and that is where Timi so spectacularly failed. And penultimate week, Timi didn't do great on two songs. He missed his cue on "Flying without wings." Even if you are not too familiar with the song, all you need do is listen to that performance without watching the audio and the flaws are immediately apparent. Towards the end he went completely off-beat. but we're just splitting hairs. We're all agreed that Timi really is a phenomenal performer, much better than the beat-boxing Blake Lewis who is currently in the finals of American Idol (but who i don't think stands a chance against Jordin Sparks). Timi needs work sha, but we love him anyway.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by makin(m): 12:18pm On May 18, 2007
lawyerchap:

@Icon,
I know George Benson is tough to do, but that is no excuse. It is tough only in regards to technique, not in regards to remembering the words and that is where Timi so spectacularly failed, We're all agreed that Timi really is a phenomenal performer, much better than the beat-boxing Blake Lewis who is currently in the finals of American Idol (but who i don't think stands a chance against Jordin Sparks).

I do agree with you about Timi being a phenomenal act, but missing your lines isn't an hallmark of a great singer, It can reflect laziness or inflexibility.
Which is where I think Blake lewis is far different. Beat boxing maybe but highly talented and creative. What he did with the Bon Jovi song "You give love a bad name" was simply out of this world. He has not only incorporated his beat boxing skills with his singing, he is versatile and conveys his style to the audience. Even Simon Cowell acknowledged his ability to take risks and make a song his own is unique in the idols series.
I support our own idols as passionately as i can, but i despise being hyperbolic about their talents. Timi is good but not in the Blake lewis league. AT ALL!!!
On a lighter note; Sanjaya and Jerrilyn were both average talents that made it far in idols competition, the duo would make an interesting research on voting patterns in TV competitions
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Imani(f): 2:39pm On May 18, 2007
The way the voting is going, Temitayo might just be part of the final two which will be undeserved.

While she is not that bad, her voice isnt strong or unique enough to have made it this far.

I hope Timi and Omawumi, who have actual talent, get the support they need this weekend.

[s]I think it is a bit cruel to ask a fellow contestant annouce who is safe and not safe.[/s]
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by makin(m): 3:03pm On May 18, 2007
@imani
I think its stupid to ask a contestant who s/he thinks is safe or not. Frankly, Majic is Daft
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by hyperflex(m): 3:48pm On May 18, 2007
Talkin about the idols thing who noticed Jerilyn had a lot of ass and i thot she was not gonna be voted out but she was. guess she didn't have voice but how in the world did Jodie get voted out?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by dominobaby(f): 3:57pm On May 18, 2007
Don't tell me Jodie got voted out! I still watched the top 6 last night, or am i behind schedule?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 4:02pm On May 18, 2007
dominobaby:

Don't tell me Jodie got voted out! I still watched the top 6 last night, or am i behind schedule?
Hey dominobaby, you're way behind schedule. Right now, there are just 3 left. Go a few pages back in this thread and you'll see most of the updates. You'll find Lawyerchap's posts very enlightening.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by viee(f): 4:05pm On May 18, 2007
that lady Nana should not be on the panel!
she simply do not have a mind of her own cry
if Dan says someone did ok
she will concur and vice versa
what s her own? angry

Dede to me is far better wink

may be Nana should be giving her opinion first before odas tongue
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Seun(m): 4:14pm On May 18, 2007
It's a pity that the coverage of the programme on STV is behind schedule. Otherwise, Jodie would still be in. As far as singing talent is concerned, she is (was) one a completely different level from the other contestants.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 4:38pm On May 18, 2007
I think Blake Lewis's voice is absolutely ordinary. He might be a musician, and might know how to beatbox, but his voicy is weak. I think he is competely overrated. I would never buy a cd with his voice. He came in with his gimmick of beatboxing and that has taken him far, but for me, he leaves me stone cold.

Also let me say Barbara Streisand who is considered one of the best voices in the world, and who has sold 70 million cds worldwide, forgot her lyrics on a live show many years ago. Never stopped her career.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by dominobaby(f): 6:33pm On May 18, 2007
Thanks Icon, my oh my, been watching it on Stv, with this top3, i'd prefer Omawunmi if you ask me, anyday anytime!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 8:40am On May 19, 2007
No winner yet?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Mustay(m): 11:28am On May 19, 2007
Timi done win
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Imani(f): 5:34pm On May 19, 2007
Mustay:

Timi done win

Source please?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Mustay(m): 8:39pm On May 19, 2007
See this one. You never watch ali Baba and d 40 thieves? Na there be d source! Lol
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 8:47pm On May 19, 2007
lol
joker
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 9:17pm On May 19, 2007
Kolo!!!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 10:37pm On May 20, 2007
My summation of tonight.

Timi - think he did the song well.  Maybe not as great as a performance as some others he has done in the past, but vocals excellent, as good, if not better than Lemar. 
Temitayo - sorry to her fans, but her voice is always shaky, offkey, she cannot change pitch and she is not good at all.
Omawumi, different performance, not sure I loved it, but maybe I don't know Reggae very well.
Timi Bryan Adams, great performance, slightly more restrained than normal, but I love his voice. 
Temitayo, once again, I cannot find anything decent to say about her singing. I will admit she is well spoken, fairly good looking, but vocally, several notches below the others.  Honestly, I think as bad as Jerrilyn.  I don't know what she is doing in the top 3.  Would much rather have Joan, Jodie, Uche, but that is life.
Omawumi, great little actress, I agree she is versatile, but here is where my problem lies with her.  I do not find her voice distinctive, she is a good entertainer, but as a voice, just to listen to, on the radio, I am not sure it is my kind of voice.  It leaves me cold.   While she is a good versatile performer, I still say she does not connect or make eye contact  with her audience/

On the American Idols shows, you have to give back when you release a cd, what your fanbase expects.
Ruben Studdard won American Idol, but when he released his first cd, he did not stick to his r & b sound, but rather went a hip hop style, he did not sell as well as Clay Aiken, who delivered exactly what his fans expected.  The second cd Ruben released was a Gospel, once again the fan base he had cultivated on Idols were not wanting that sound.  He did not sell well as expected.  His last cd he went back to being soulful, but 3 years later and he had lost a lot of momentum.  He did not do tours and his fan base had dwindled. 
Carrie Underwood in Season 4  was always country, won Idols and that is what she released.  She has won countless awards and is catching up to Kelly Clarkson as the biggest seller ever on Idols.  She delivered what was promised on her Idols shows.

Last year Chris Daughtry was the rocker, he was voted off fourth, there was a huge outcry,  but  he released a cd of rock mostly  rock ballads and is selling extremely well.   He has been in the top 10 sales in the U. States for the last few months.   Once again, he stuck to what he promised on Idols and  therefore maintained his   fan base.

Now to get to Timi, while some will accuse him of not being versatile, and having a definite sound,  the people voting for him, know exactly the kind of cd he will release and they will not be disappointed.  They like his soulful, type of voice.  His fans will not even have to listen to what he releases and will support him, because he has been consistent in what his sound is.

Omawumi is versatile, but what should she release.?  Has she got her own SOUND.  Will you know it is her on the radio?.  There are people, that may like her voice for her pop, others for her reggae,others for her R & B, will she please her fans, when everyone will expect something different.

The artists that last for years and years, and reach longevity are the ones whose voices are distinctive and recognisable instantly  and those that stand the test of time , have had a definite sound, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, Joe Cocker, Barbara Streisand, Celine Dion, Brian McNight, ArethaFranklin,  Ray Charles, Andrea Bocelli,  Josh Groban,   Christina Aguilera.  It does not matter what they sing, when you hear their voices, you know it is them.   Unmistakeable and totally recognisable.   There are many others,  could carry on, but  their  sound is unmistakeable.  

That is what Timi has, I would know his voice instantly, he has his own sound, a mixture of a few artists, but in the end, he is Timi,  with his  own sound.    He could sing anything and I would know it is him.  For me, that is why I would support his career and be interested in what cd he puts out, because the type of music he sings and the voice he has, is the kind of voice that I love. His voice touches my soul.  .
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 11:39pm On May 20, 2007
When dem go announce d winner
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 11:44pm On May 20, 2007
@thabs, great review , and I agree with most of your thoughts. I've not watched tonight's performances though, just coming in. But I set it to record and will definitely watch it b4 I sleep. I'll give my views then.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by KikiDixy(f): 2:57am On May 21, 2007
I still fr the life of me cant see what all this crase about Timi is about. A good voice yes, but major diction problems. He'll need a refresher course before they take him anywhere outside naija. I cringe when I think of him as an Idol. He has a massive fan base so I guess he can do no wrong and will win, but is certainly a poor showing for the first audition of Idols, I mean we couldnt do better?

I guess out of the 3 left Oma and Timi should be in the final. I hope she wins, she'll represnt better abeg, but anyone wey wan carry nah dem sabi. i lost interest weeks ago
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Everbright(f): 9:45am On May 21, 2007
I think Nigerians are using sentiments on this
The reason why I don't really fancy their programmes
Big Brother came thesame way,must we always have programmes twisted in this manner?
That Temitayo's mother runs an orphanage, is it reason enough to let her be there, even when we all know she ain't perfoming well?
Let's be reasonable enough to keep the right people there.
Let the final voting be between Timi and Omawumi,so that we will be able to choose the best from the best two, let's leave sentiments out of this!!! angry angry sad
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 9:52am On May 21, 2007
Everbright:

- so that we will be able to choose the best from the best two, let's leave sentiments out of this!!! angry angry sad
I agree with you fully!!!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bmo: 10:19am On May 21, 2007
i wont be surprise to see temitayo in the final. she got no fans but they have the money to put her through to the final . remember last week oma was in the bottom two so dont expect to see her in the final. tongue tongue
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by molluma(f): 11:17am On May 21, 2007
i really wonder wat an orphanage has got to do wit singin.ok maybe they think she will use fame to beta the lives of the orphans.abeg temi cant sing.period
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Imani(f): 7:49pm On May 21, 2007
Temitayo is out grin
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 9:36pm On May 21, 2007
nice to know

although i'm not looking forward to a heartstopping final
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 1:45am On May 22, 2007
Salsera, keep your fingers crossed. You might be surprised. I think it'll be a spectacular final. What was Mike Magic trying to achieve by playing that stunt? That guy had better be careful!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Suthu(f): 7:55am On May 22, 2007
Finally, for the first time justice has been done cool! Although I wud have loved 2 c sum1 else instead of Omuwami. I never thought she wud survive 2 the final,  Indeed miracles do happen. I wonder who the Idol will be between the 2 undecided. I hope Timi doesn't try too hard as he does sumtimes. And I hope that Shakira voice can do better as the nite she did Natasha Bedingfield - I bruise easily. May the best vocalist/singer/pperformerentertainer/etc. win cheesy!!!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Suthu(f): 7:56am On May 22, 2007
Finally, for the first time justice has been done cool! Although I wud have loved 2 c sum1 else instead of Omuwami. I never thought she wud survive 2 the final,  Indeed miracles do happen. I wonder who the Idol will be between the 2 undecided. I hope Timi doesn't try too hard as he does sumtimes. And I hope that Shakira voice can do better as the nite she did Natasha Bedingfield - I bruise easily. May the best vocalist/singer/performer/entertainer/etc. win cheesy!!!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Everbright(f): 9:05am On May 22, 2007
Thank God,at least we now know there is a little justice in this country
She shoulg go and find something else to do wiht her life,music is not her calling
Kudos to her parents who are always there for her even when she isn't performing well
May they conitue being by her untill she locates her calling
And all Landers say a BIG AMEN[color=Black][/color] grin
Let's now face reality
Abi no be so
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Everbright(f): 9:07am On May 22, 2007
Thank God,at least we now know there is a little justice in this country
She should go and find something else to do with her life,music is not her calling
Kudos to her parents who are always there for her even when she isn't performing well
May they continually be by her untill she locates her calling
And all Landers say a BIG AMEN[color=Black][/color] grin
Let's now face reality
Abi no be so

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (24) (Reply)

Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim / Wizkid Joins Justin Bieber On Stage To Perform Essence: PICS & VIDEO / Eedris Abdulkareem Is Battling Kidney Failure Seeks Fans' Prayers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.