Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,660 members, 7,820,326 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) - Music/Radio (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) (47682 Views)

Airforce 1 On STV Right Now, Nigerian Idols season V / Pepsi Nigerian Idols / Dare Art Alade On American Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 10:48am On May 22, 2007
I was overwhelmed with relief to hear Mike Majic tell Temitayo George that the end had come for her dream of buying… em, sorry, being the first ever West African Idol. I actually had nightmares in which Omawumi was sent home and Timi and Temitayo made the finals. Now we have a dream finals on our hands.

But how did Temitayo’s much vaunted support fail her when it mattered the most? There are two theories on how we were rid of the Top 10’s second weakest vocalist. First, as more and more contestants were evicted, the pool of voters though remaining more or less constant in size, had fewer people to vote for. So while Temitayo’s syndicate could muster sufficient funds to amass enough votes to keep her up until the semi-finals being that Africa’s votes had been spread among a larger number of contestants, when it got to Top 3 stage, people who had been voting for all the wrong reasons like good looks a la Eric, physical endowments a la Jerrilyn etcetera etcetera now had to vote based on actual talent. That caused votes going to Omawumi to reach a certain critical mass exceeding what the Temitayo cartel could muster, even with their phenomenal means.

Or the organizers simply manipulated the results so as not to make a complete mockery of the entire show. We are talking bigtime here and it just wouldn’t do to have Temitayo in the finals at the expense of Omawumi. People would have lost faith in the voting system, and that needed to be preserved at all cost. Somehow, I think this was why Temitayo didn’t make the finals; the need to have credible finalists, people with actual singing talent. However it happened, I’m glad she’s gone home.

On the finalists, Timi has been outstanding in a few performances, great in most and shocking in a couple. He has managed to build up a formidable fan base with a voice of pure honey and some well-timed theatrics. Remember the “Stuck on You” performance and “Don’t let the sun go down on me”? He’s a fantastic singer with a unique sound and he’s also quite a performer. But on the downside, he’s got major self-esteem issues, IQ issues, diction issues, discipline issues a la losing concentration and going off-beat plus who knows what else. But it’s a singing contest, not a spelling bee or The Apprentice. So Timi looks quite the favourite to win this thing.

As for Omawumi, Dan thinks she’s peaking at the right time, but I think she left it too late. She’s been pretty consistent throughout the competition with some really outstanding performances. Her performance of Onyeka Onwenu’s “Ekwe” was a truly memorable experience for all who watched it. She’s had only one really dreadfully woeful performance with Mary J Blige’s “Be Without You.” The only reason why Omawumi won’t win is because she’s a mimic. Whatever song she sings, she adopts the original singer’s tone of voice, and when that doesn’t fall within her comfortable voice range the results can be disastrous. But when it works, it works brilliantly. Her last four performances over the last two weekends have all been standing-ovation performances. How do you get a crowd to their feet with a slow song like Natasha Bedingfield’s “I bruise easily”? But this mimicry has prevented her from developing her own sound. If you hear her on the radio she just might sound anonymous (although the argument can be made that some singers with anonymous voices have had quite a career with those voices). But those last four performances have made me her fan for life. If she wins, I won’t be crying for Timi, that’s for sure.

I don’t think it is fair that the final performances are not going to count as voting closes on Saturday. Now, since we suspect that the organizers are not above manipulating the results, who do you guys think they would go with? Timi with the honeyed voice and loads of issues, or Omawumi with the anonymous voice, incredible range and beautiful performance skills? If I were Sony-BMG, I’d pick Omawumi everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. She is a more versatile artiste than Timi will be. Notice how she was the only contestant to run the gamut of musical genres, performing songs from R ‘n’ B, Hip Hop, Funk, Pop, Rock, Reggae? While the others played it safe she went out on a limb to showcase her range of abilities. She will be able to appeal to a wider fan base than Timi whose voice is made for ballads. Clearly Omawumi is the commercial choice but for the purist in me, Timi’s voice is pure gold, he should win it.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by makin(m): 11:19am On May 22, 2007
Its absurd that the final performances won't count, now its obvious that there would some kind of manipulations to the whole voting process.
@lawyerchap
I agree with you, Omawunmi anonymous but versatile, a producers dream.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 12:08pm On May 22, 2007
then its apt that I lost interest weeks ago

so for all this hoopla, the final performances won't count.
That's to say that the grand finale will not be the Showdown we expected

hogwash!

then why make them perform on Sunday; they might as well make Sunday a reunoin of all the other evictees and let's hear all the other guys that we missed.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 12:11pm On May 22, 2007
@lawyerchap

I was curious when I saw you only had 22 posts

Don't tell me the only thing that got you to Nairaland is IDOLS

so, what happens after Sunday sad
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by KikiDixy(f): 1:08pm On May 22, 2007
So the final performance doesnt count. We should just keep voting on sunday based on their previous performances? Thats just plain stupid! sad. I wish Omawunmi would win for some of the reasons Lawerchap mentioned above.

And for the record a lot of us that voted for Eric, did so not just for his looks. I genuinely believe he can sing but didnt use his full potential in the last 3 weeks smiley. And I wouldnt be part of the statistic that moved elsewhere. I havent voted much since he left(just a few token votes for Omawunmi yesterday), so I don't know what happened to Temitayo's fans, maybe they saw the light.

Timi has a huge fan base and will probably win it. Yuck! cheesy
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Suthu(f): 1:46pm On May 22, 2007
lawyerchap:

He’s a fantastic singer with a unique sound and he’s also quite a performer. But on the downside, he’s got major self-esteem issues, IQ issues, diction issues, discipline issues a la losing concentration and going off-beat plus who knows what else. But it’s a singing contest, not a spelling bee or The Apprentice. So Timi looks quite the favourite to win this thing.

As for Omawumi, Dan thinks she’s peaking at the right time, but I think she left it too late. She’s been pretty consistent throughout the competition with some really outstanding performances. Her performance of Onyeka Onwenu’s “Ekwe” was a truly memorable experience for all who watched it. If she wins, I won’t be crying for Timi, that’s for sure.

She is a more versatile artist than Timi will be. Notice how she was the only contestant to run the gamut of musical genres, performing songs from R ‘n’ B, Hip Hop, Funk, Pop, Rock, Reggae? While the others played it safe she went out on a limb to showcase her range of abilities. She will be able to appeal to a wider fan base than Timi whose voice is made for ballads. Clearly Omawumi is the commercial choice but for the purist in me, Timi’s voice is pure gold, he should win it.

The feeling is mutual with Timi's way of expresion. I think somewhere somehow the guy is laking. I thought it was the low self-esteem or something but someone said it's probably the accent. Timi - u don't have kneel each time u perform wink. I hardly make out of what Timi says at the interviews. As for Omuwami, damn that women is so eager to win. Her last performences have been out this world. Nhlanhla Sibisi has no favorite among the 2 now, but I'm sure Omuwami still gives him goose bumps! When she picked that Christina Aguilera's song I wanted to switch off the TV and go to sleep. Hey, what did she do to it? She is versatile, I give her that. She takes risks. That's probably because she's a born mimic, I don't know undecided. Oh, by the way, does the looks still count now that Eric is out? Who looks better then undecided?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 2:44pm On May 22, 2007
My thoughts on who should win and why 

Omawumi may be more versatile, but they have to make  a cd quickly, while the buzz and hype is still on.  That is the way it works on Idols.  What, oh what should they make Omawumi record to satisfy her fanbase (which likes different aspects of her) maybe her R & B, her pop, her soul, her reggae?!.  They have not time on their hands to really look for good material.  Strike while the iron is hot.

Timi, it is simple, he will put out exactly what he has shown us on Idols.  His fans will not even have to listen to it, beforehand, they know what they will get.  For that reason, my thoughts are at this time, he is going to be easier to market, record and sell.

One other thought I have, is  if I were Temitayo's (power behind her), I would rather see Timi win, than let another girl, reach her dreams and eclipse her before Temitayo either  has time to go for her singing lessons, or get signed independently on a label (there are other labels out there that I am sure with the publicity she has received would sign her), a studio has the ability to make anyone sound good, with the technical equipment they  now have.

Besides which, I have no doubt that Jodie wil be signed and  will be releasing a cd and that would mean too many women from the show all competing to sell cd's . 

Simon Cowell of American Idols once said he would like to sign Prince William to made a cd.  When asked "But can he sing"?, his answer was  something like "Anyone can sing in a studio with PRO TOOLS.  a Recording studio  has the facility, the equipment, to make anyone sound good,

Obviously the problem with this, is that certain artists cannot sing LIVE,( see Britney Spears,  Paris Hilton, Hilary Duff,), etc. they have to lip sync when they go do shows.  They are successful because  they are marketed correctly and appeal to the demographics  that they are marketed to.

I am not so sure Omawumi's  fanbase is made up of die hard fans, but as has been stated rather the contestants  fans who were voted off and have transferred their votes to her. I also have to agree that Omawumi peaked too late and might not have developed the necessary fan base to take her all the way.   I think she is entertaining to watch, she is a great little actress, as said "a mimic". however,  I am not so sure she will be so great recorded on a cd.   I disagree with one statement made and that is "how you get an audience to give you a standing ovation on "I bruise easily", Timi did mostly slow ballads and got standing ovations, so slow or fast, if it is good, the crowd reacts.

I do find it strange that on the week the producers chose songs, Omawumi had her best night of the season and Timi faltered.  I do think they tried (to be polite) equal the playing field. 

There have been many winners of Idols shows, but to gain votes is one thing, to sell cd's is another.  Timi has a devoted and loyal fanbase, that I think will support him no mater what.

I make no bones about the fact that I am a Timi fan, because for me an artist has to touch my soul and his voice has to emotionally connect with me.  He has done so, from the first audition, I heard his voice and I was stunned as I was not expecting him to even be able to sing, let alone pour out his soul and passion and power in that audition.    Jodie, is a perfect example for me, while I acknowledge her as a great singer, emotionally she never touched me.  I just didn't "feel her".

There is also a part of me that because of his faults, perhaps low self esteem, maybe not as smart as Temitayo, etc, makes me root for him more.    I found Temitayo rehearsed, like a pageant beauty  queen answering the questions, always so diplomatically and never showing her true emotion.  I like the way Timi cried when he got through the top 24, it touched me deeply, he showed humility, gratitude and he let his heart show.   

For me Timi has delivered more outstanding performances than anyone else, and for what I feel when I hear his voice,  makes me really  want him to win the title of WAI.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bmo: 6:28pm On May 22, 2007
i would have loved to see JODIE instead of OMA .i dont find her voice intreating at all .at the begining she got the highest fanbase in which i was one of them but since her top24 performance she has not done anything special to keep me or win me back when she lost me . TIMI is my idol and i will spend my last kobo to make him win . i can`t use my money to buy OMA`s CD but i can use my money to watch her sing on stage.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Seun(m): 8:43pm On May 22, 2007

The final stage of the voting process for American Idols is on. Visit http://www.mnetafrica.com/idols/ to vote.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by agbola(m): 1:03am On May 23, 2007
OMAWUMI ROCKS cheesy

doe evry1 says she's a gud mimic, i feel she has wat it takes 2 be a very successful singer, d voice is crazy and her stage performance is off da hinges. kiss kiss kiss kiss

and who said she doesn't hav die hard fans, angry shocked hey hello ova here smiley
i can't jus wait till dat cd comes out i jus feel naija is about to hav her own mariah carey

but i also think timi is also gud (he sounds like lemar, micheal bolton or som1 i've heard b4)
but sorry men omawumi seems 2 improve wit evry performance, i knw u will be a star also but improve on d english.

pls evry1 shud try and vote omawumi. omawumi for life
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Zizi(f): 9:11am On May 23, 2007
I would have loved to see a finale between Jodie & Timi but Omawunmi would do. I would pick Timi as the idol anyday cos of his voice and delivery in terms of emotions behind the voice. Oma yes got loud ovation on her Bob Marley rendetion but come on who cannot sing reggae with a little embelishment? The Christina Song was ok but I could barely hear her. She was breathing so hard into the microphone and I seem to have a problem with clarity when she sings. I don't understand when people say that Timi lacks IQ and self esteem. That is a minor problem that would be taken care off when and if he wins the competion. Don't forget that this chap ended in secondry level. So many of these idols lacked that initially but trust me with stardom it brings out the best in you. For crying out loud compare his first auditioning and now- there has been a tremendous change on him physically and otherwise. Thabs and Lawyerchap thanks for your great analysis. Good luck to these two fantastic talents that has made me a Nigerian very proud!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by justme3(m): 11:25am On May 23, 2007
i would pick omawunmi cos i just cant get over her oyenka owenu ekwe performance.she was great
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by mansa(f): 1:49pm On May 23, 2007
hmmmmn,

i prefer omawunmi.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Everbright(f): 2:00pm On May 23, 2007
@Lawyerchap i don't agree with you concerning manipulation of result by the judges.
People really wanted Temitayo out and that was exactly what happened
I for one opened several e-mail addresses to vote for my idols in order to vote her out
And I know so many other people did one thing or the other to make sure we have the best two at finals
Even if Temitayo has the most powerful parents on planet earth,they can't beat the wish of the masses
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by youngies(m): 2:05pm On May 23, 2007
Timi for life!!!!!!

It is a singing competition and nothing else.

Whatever the alleged shortfalls that dear Timi has can be fixed in about 4 weeks of intensive night school cheesy

Timi all da way!!!!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by oakoni(m): 2:42pm On May 23, 2007
I was a huge fan of Timi and was really praying he would win .But, Omawunmi's performance has really bowled me over .Timi's skills are really limited to R  n B which is good but Omawunmi is versatile and has covered a lot of genres.hip hop,Reggae,Rock ,RnB.
I think producers look for someone who is that versatile .Omawunmi has a very high chance of winning .
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by senetee(m): 3:55pm On May 23, 2007
Wow,
tough choice 2 make between the two. Let me say nobody needs to tell me its Timi singing on the radio and can't say the same for Omawunmi even though it seems she has got ideas and remarkable stage performances. Timi can really work his voice and can be groomed to acceptable international image standards. So, I'll go with Timi.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Aziza(f): 4:18pm On May 23, 2007
It beats me when people declare that someone whom they have never met, tested, or sat in class with has IQ problems. If you ask me, Timi has shown the most wisdom in this competition. He chooses songs that suits his voice, songs that connects him with his audience, he is smart enough to define himself. That is more than I can say for Omawunmi. Timi is a soulful singer. Who the hell is Omawunmi (I don't hate her.)

Timi is humble and respectful. He doesn't have "self esteem" issues. He is uncommonly humble and doesn't take himself seriously. How can a guy with self esteem issues render the powerful powerful performances that Timi has delivered in this competition? Eric is proud. Timi has self esteem issues. If Uche has made it to top 4, who knows what would be said about him. Give me a break! Some people just have to find something to use in running down a guy who is trying to make it in life.

What is this diction issue? Abeg. Abeg. Diction? When Garou speaks you know he is French. When Seal speaks you know he is British. When Snoop Dog speaks you know he is from the hood. What is our problem as Nigerians with our accents? That fool, Nana, doesn't she have mother tongue interference when she talks. It's actually a shame the way we Nigerians carry on what accent issues like it's a deficiency. It speaks of a self-hate deeper than racism. I personally think that the different accents coming out of Nigeria makes us interesting and unique. I find the way Timi pronounces some words enjoyable. It should not be sweated. He can deal with it after winning Idols.

Timi has a fading speaking voice. The type that makes him sound like he is whispering. If the guys working on sound cannot adjust the mics to make sure that we hear what Timi says in his interviews, then how is Timi to blame for that?

Thabs says it all, Timi is well defined. His voice is unique. His voice connects with people. He moved you to be the best you can be. His is polite, humble, has a sensitive side. His stagemanship is excellent. He knows who he is as an artist. That my friend, is the stuff that stars are made up of. Timi is my Idol!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 7:04pm On May 23, 2007
hmmmmm, lots and lots of interesting views. I never knew this thread could get so busy, but then with the Idols final in sight, why won't it?

I'll vote for Timi for the following reasons:
Timi has been consistent. Omawumi has not.
Timi has received the highest number of standing ovations. More than 50% of his performances have been outstanding. Omawumi has only done this about 3 times.
Timi has shown stage creativity thrice. (His knee slide move during his "don't let the sun go down on me", his ending during the "Stuck on you" and his wild dance during George Michael's "Faith"wink, Omawumi has done this once (her startoff position during "I bruise easily).
If Timi releases a CD today, I'll buy it but for Omawumi, I'll listen to one or two tracks before buying.

Granted, Timi does have issues with self consciousness when talking, but this does not come into play when he's singing. As per his diction, that's nothing a good finishing school can't take care of. If we were voting for diction, Temitayo would be the best. Anyway, I'm not just voting based on their last performances. I'm voting based on all impressions from their auditions to Top 24 and top 10,9,8,7,6,5,4 and top 3. Those are my thoughts. You might think differently
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 8:00pm On May 23, 2007
Icon, you summed that up brilliantly, if this is about diction, Temitayo would have won this contest hands down. If it were a public speaking competition, she would win this hands down. It is a singing and performing competition. The most consistent, while some more breathtaking than others has to be Timi. Even the ones that didnt get as high praise as others, if you listen, really listen, that voice is that voice, like Flying without Wings, which was overshadowed by the Michael Bolton song, was really good . He knows who he is as an artist and his cd will sound like the Timi who his fans voted for.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by profade1(m): 8:03pm On May 23, 2007
I'll vote for Timi for the reason that when he sings something resonates within me. Omawumi's singing fails to do that for me.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Imani(f): 9:17pm On May 23, 2007
I think Timi will win this. The judges like him, he has a strong fan base and he has talent.

However, i hope his first album does well, as is the case with idols programme, if the album doesnt sell well, it could all be over except for live performances.

Omawumi is quite versatile as people have noted. With a good producer, she can go places.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by teddyface(m): 11:00pm On May 23, 2007
TIMI is the Man
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by ono(m): 7:54am On May 24, 2007
And to think these two peeps are from the Niger Delta - The Core Niger Delta states of Delta and Bayelsa. Folks I'm clapping at the roof top for my people. I will vote 50:50 for them.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Everbright(f): 8:22am On May 24, 2007
That means the Niger-Deltans [/color]have talents
Why then do most of them engage in violent acts like kidnapping even albinos grin
They should make very good use of their talents jare and stop answering the name MILITANTS[color=Black]
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by ono(m): 8:44am On May 24, 2007
My dear, the ''thing'' be say, militants dey everywhere for this country - they come in different shades (Political militants, Attorney militants, bootlicker militants, Godfather militants, Loyalty militants etc etc).

You see, names like Niger Delta militants is a euphemism for freedom fighters in the Niger delta. Ain't nothing wrong with having a handful of such peeps to wreack havoc on lunatics and cursed thieves milking their lands dry, or what do you think?

It only goes a long way to prove to the rest of the people of this damned country that their perception of the average Niger Deltan is warped. The Niger Delta people are just the type of people you'll see any other place in the world.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by simmy(m): 10:33am On May 24, 2007
timi has an extraordinary voice. However, omawumi is more versatile in her performance, i think omawumi will make a better idol. biggups to timi though
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bmo: 10:39am On May 24, 2007
WINNER OH OH OH  WINNER

WINNER OH OH OH   WINNER

TIMI YOU DON WIN OH WINNER PATAPATA YOU GO WIN FOREVER
WINNER : kiss kiss-* kiss*
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by adesbreath: 11:02am On May 24, 2007
i dont know whats being said about timi, but men he rocks my world when he sings, he moves me almost to the verge of tears, when he sings he touches my heart,and u know even if he isnt as handsome as eric,he has so much beauty on the inside, and i believe that that is where true beauty lies.timi is going to win, despite all the trivial shortcomings some people have pointed out, i believe he is a born star,the first day i heard oma's voice i knew she was good and on her first performance she moved me to dance and i was impressed, but timi, moves my soul to a reality of all nigerians imaginations of a good musician.pls vote for timi all you out there cos he has great talent, a very humble guy,from what i have seen, he would be a fast growing singer if he wins!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by mimiko(f): 11:36am On May 24, 2007
omawunmi has always rocked! she ll represent! we re talking idol here it has to be a complete package! u know the voice, beuty the looks, personalty, the girl fits well sha! is just that i cant spend money voting sha but i ll shout n hail her sha while performing. kiss kiss kiss
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Everbright(f): 12:10pm On May 24, 2007
mimiko:

omawunmi has always rocked! she ll represent! we re talking idol here it has to be a complete package! u know the voice, beuty the looks, personalty, the girl fits well sha! is just that i can't spend money voting sha but i ll shout n hail her sha while performing. kiss kiss kiss
]
Don't you know that your power to keep her there lies in your vote
You can log on and vote if you don't want to send a txt
But I bet you,Timi is going to win,you know why?,
Cos his fans don't mind spending their last kobo to keep him there
UP TIMI[color=Black][/color]
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by naijagal(f): 1:09pm On May 24, 2007
go timi its ur buffday!
we're gonna party like its ur buffday!
we're gonna sip some crys like its ur buffday!

we're all gonna party likes it ur buffday when u win grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (24) (Reply)

Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim / Wizkid Joins Justin Bieber On Stage To Perform Essence: PICS & VIDEO / Ayo Orowale, Broadcaster Is Dead (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.