Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,213 members, 7,953,776 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:56 AM

What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? (2157 Views)

Classes Of Jonathan's Supporters And What They Fear About Buhari - Timothy Nkenu / My Fear About APC... A Public Liability Company Pay Shareholders First! / Understanding Jonathan’s Deepest Fear By Sonala Olumhense (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by citizenY(m): 12:36pm On Oct 02, 2009
[b]@JIMMSHO

I SHARE YOUR OPTIMISM BUT FOR MARTIN LUTHER, THERE WERE SIGNS THAT
THINGS WILL CHANGE. The American society was progressive and social /political
culture and institutions were developed and regulated by the society. All that was done
to get the Obama scenario was to take advantage of these structures. The structures
were the basic foundation of American society- the basic freedoms,constitutionalism, the law
etc etc.

I am very impatient and my worry is that the institutions are not even there - Presidency?
Legislature? Economy and Bankers (WANKERs), political parties/ CIVIL SOCIETY / corruption? Rule of Law,
COnstitution, ELectoral law, INEC/

There seems to be no agreeable code of conduct/expectations. WHAT DO WE EXPECT FROM OUR LEADERS
AND WHAT DO THEY EXPECT FROM US ? I can go on and on.

We just seem to be living by the day, creating dubious milestones and visions, 2010,2020. Where are our
National Development plans? We continue to mouth international cliches- MDG etc. What are your own
national standards.

I an go on and on. WHERE ARE WE GOING? There are no structures that civil society can use to drive out the
vampires we call leaders AND THEY HAVE REFUSED TO CREATE THEM.

HERE IS MY LIST:-
-constitutional reform in general,true fiscal federalism or whatever
-Freedom of Iinformayiom Bill
-Electoral Reform
-Resource control/ Niger \Delta
-State Police

ADD YOUR OWN.

THIS IS MY WORRY [/b]
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:21pm On Oct 02, 2009
citizenY:

[b]@JIMMSHO

culture and institutions were developed and regulated by the society. All that was done
to get the Obama scenario was to take advantage of these structures. The structures
were the basic foundation of American society- the basic freedoms,constitutionalism, the law
etc etc.

I am very impatient and my worry is that the institutions are not even there - Presidency?
Legislature? Economy and Bankers (WANKERs), political parties/ CIVIL SOCIETY / corruption? Rule of Law,

There seems to be no agreeable code of conduct/expectations. WHAT DO WE EXPECT FROM OUR LEADERS

We just seem to be living by the day, creating dubious milestones and visions, 2010,2020. Where are our
National Development plans? We continue to mouth international cliches- MDG etc. What are your own
national standards.

I an go on and on. WHERE ARE WE GOING? There are no structures that civil society can use to drive out the

-Electoral Reform
-State Police

ADD YOUR OWN.

THIS IS MY WORRY [/b]

I could not have put it any aptly

A sad condition is one that you know it has become impossible to solve because all the odds are stacked against progress.

Think of it this way, We have a situation where the environment to function properly has been delibreately sabotaged to allow for structures that continually support further degradation of the environment. like a vicious cycle that cannot be broken.

Like driving a car with no brakes and on high speed. there is very little you can do to control your situation except run into concrete
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:16am On Oct 03, 2009
Religion!
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 4:24am On Oct 03, 2009
why religion?
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by SeanT21(f): 5:37am On Oct 03, 2009
That 50 years from now Nigerians would still be saying"We will get there one day" or "Rome wasn't built in a day". Those phrases are overused.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:46am On Oct 03, 2009
bawomolo:

why religion?

Why? Then answer these questions:

1. How do you explain when Christians and Muslims spend more working hours in their temples praying and believing in miracles than actually working to achieve their goals in the real world?

2. How do you explain when the disgruntled people of Ebonyi state in a government event were complaining about how their state treasury was being looted by Sam Egwu; but immediately cheered up when the said governor arrived at the occasion and shouted "praise da lord". He was immediately forgiven for quoting the Bible over and over in the occasion.

3. How do you explain when a congressman from a constituency in Kaduna had to build almost a million dollar Mosque for a tiny community that has no functioning school, hospital and water resources?

4. How do you explain a situation where crimes are waived and criminals are allowed to walk free in the name of "god will judge"?

5. How do explain a large number of people are going against science and technology in the name of being against western culture?

6. How do you explain a situation where an aviation minister attributes air disasters to witchcraft which can only be toppled by prayer warriors?

7. How do you explain a situation where poor people are being tricked into paying almost the whole their incomes to the church while the so-called church leaders use the money to live in luxury?

8. Most painfully, how do you explain a situation where Nigerians commit and keep committing genocide against their so-called brothers when a white man in far away Denmark draws a cartoon about a prophet in Islam?

Religion has done far more damages than any little good I can think of in nigeria.

Over to you Bawo. cheesy
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by REALTRUTH1: 9:03am On Oct 03, 2009
jimmysho:

FROM THE POSTS UPSTAIRS, I REALIZED SOME OF US DO NOT REALISE THAT THE REV. KING JNR DREAM WAS LESS THAN 50YRS BEFORE IT WAS ACTUALISED. SO, IF SUCH FEAT COULD BE ACHIEVED BY CHANGING THE TIDES OF WHITE-WHITE LEADERSHIP TO WHITE-BLACK THEN I SEE RAY OF LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL
My greatest and deepest FEARS Lies in the majority of Nigerian docile masses,,,,Don't U ever compare the USA with Nigeria,,,without the support and understand of the majority of Americans,,,the dreams of Revd. Martin Luther King Jnr would never have come to fruition,,,,Are U telling me Nigeria has never been able to produce her own Martin Luther? Did Nigerians support her Martin Luther when they made efforts to lead Nigeria? The answer is simply No,,,Gani Fawehinmi died in the struggle,,,Abiola died in the struggle,,,Chris Okotie, Pat Utomi,,,Awolowo in his days and after was termed a President Nigeria never had,,,,and many more
As far as I know Nigerians don't have any dream what soever,,,,and its actually not worth dying for,,,,The dream and death of Martin Luther is a function of what defines America today,,,,Please tell me what the death of those who laid their lives for Nigeria has been able to achieve for Nigeria,,,Nothing!!!!
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 10:51am On Oct 03, 2009
REAL TRUTH:

My greatest and deepest FEARS Lies in the majority of Nigerian docile masses,,,,Don't U ever compare the USA with Nigeria,,,without the support and understand of the majority of Americans,,,the dreams of Revd. Martin Luther King Jnr would never have come to fruition,,,,Are U telling me Nigeria has never been able to produce her own Martin Luther? Did Nigerians support her Martin Luther when they made efforts to lead Nigeria? The answer is simply No,,,Gani Fawehinmi died in the struggle,,,Abiola died in the struggle,,,Chris Okotie, Pat Utomi,,,Awolowo in his days and after was termed a President Nigeria never had,,,,and many more
As far as I know Nigerians don't have any dream what soever,,,,and its actually not worth dying for,,,,The dream and death of Martin Luther is a function of what defines America today,,,,Please tell me what the death of those who laid their lives for Nigeria has been able to achieve for Nigeria,,,Nothing!!!!
good talk
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by banom(m): 12:34pm On Oct 03, 2009
This is my deepest fear About Nigeria, her name is tpia

Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by chosen04(f): 12:59pm On Oct 03, 2009
banom:

This is my deepest fear About Nigeria, her name is tpia

Banom,

Nwannem Biko 4give this Yoruba girl called TPIA, u want make she CRY for u again
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by banom(m): 1:35pm On Oct 03, 2009
chosen04:

Banom,

Nwannem Biko 4give this Yoruba girl called TPIA, u want make she CRY for u again

Nsegbu adiro, is just because of you, you know there is nothing i can not do for you, you are my only true sister,not spikedcylinder an igbo girl that will delete my post against yorubas but will leave yorubas posts against the igbos.
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by desthan(m): 5:46pm On Oct 03, 2009
citizenY:

[b]@JIMMSHO

etc etc.

national standards.

-Electoral Reform
-State Police

ADD YOUR OWN.

THIS IS MY WORRY [/b]

Dude, there absolutely nothing to worry. Now lets be logical, amid the usual lamentation that failed leadership and monumental corruption have been responsible for our myraids of woes, lets us call to mind the concept of limited government as one of the viable option to adopt in trying to fix Nigeria. Limited government simply means allowing government to do those things which it has the competence to do, or, conversely, letting the citizens do those things which they can completely do very well without involving the government or put it differently, the federal government should concentrates it efforts in maintaining defence/national military, establishment of monetary systems, maintenance of the judiciary and all that, where, if you like, it enjoys a relatively economies of scale and then seeks the partnership of private organisations in telecommunication, health, security of lives and property, eduation, physical infrastructure, power supply where it has consistently and woefully failed over the years.

Oftentimes we perceive government as an omnipotent and omniscience institution with the competence to do everything under the sun. And with this false illusion, or carried away by self-conceit, government keeps on boasting that it can do marvelous things. Come tomorrow or even later today oratorical speeches will be delivered across the land on the greatness of Nigeria, on our failed dreams, our promises and the great things which Yaradua has done or is capable of doing. Prayer will be said. then after tomorrow or may be a few days from now, we will go back to our vomit. that is the definition of government in Nigeria but the truth remains that government cannot do everything including those things it claims it can. why
1. It dosen't have the competence to do everything.
2. Even those things it claims it purportedly has the competence to do, it has failed to do owing to corruption, greed and lust for power.

21st century approach to development is more concerned in getting the people to use their talents to improve their lives and to put food on the table for members of their families and all that. The major function of any responsible government is to create the enabling environment in which the citizens can achieve their potentials. For instance, if there were electricity, pipe-borne water, and good roads in Nigeria, you would agree with me that poverty would not have been so excruciating. The barber does not need a government job nor a bank job for suvival, all he needs constant electricity supply to put food on his table so goes for every little enterpreneurer.

The right economic and political freedom must flourish in creating a favourable environment. Government badly needs the assistance of private organisation in order to get many things right. Look at a typical example of how are government operates, a PHCN official came to our premises to disconnect electricity supply. Conversing with him it was obvious that poor fellow lacked the capacity to reason. he sheepishly came to carry out an instruction from a superior boss. No initiative, No reasoning, No common sence. That is government for you. In Nigeria government suffocates. so instead of further enlarging the already suffocating government with excessive functions to the detriment of socio-economic and political order, it is high time private association, churches, mosques, NGOs, cultural and educational trusts, voluntary agencies started getting involved in the country's development projects.
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by jimmysho(m): 4:42pm On Oct 05, 2009
OIL AND RELIGION

Why oil? until it dry up, everybody seem to be sharing something and with it, i do not see nigeria reverting to the re-oil days which i presume nigeria was better off. the black gold has made nigerians elite to be lazy in proffering solutions to the heap load of man made problems.

Why Religion? an average Nigerian believe anything that happens to us is the will of God. am not disputing that but am confused because god himself has given us the ability to choose from good or evil.

it is high time we started using this two variables [oil and religion} for the betterment of our dear fatherland or else the 20;20 thing will just be a dream
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by jimmysho(m): 4:52pm On Oct 05, 2009
our leaders is another variable that beat me hallow:

the Mr. Servant leader promised electoral reform and emergency in the power sector on the day of his inauguration. Today those promises ve gone in line with the hope. the only thing we are concern is how to destroy what has been built by others
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 5:10pm On Oct 05, 2009
Since I live in Nigeria, I don't have the luxury to entertain any such fears.
Most of the anxieties and worries expressed here are as a result of damn good press activity - both from within and outside Nigeria.
I won't even bother to condemn or write off anything. I'll only say the people are going through a compulsory learning phase. Dunno how long it will be, but we can't escape it, either as tribes or a nation, whatever we choose to call ourselves.
Bad government? We are in solid company. Excessive religiosity? Welcome to the club. You name it, we've got it, and so do a bunch of others. But people are still living, somehow, and will learn over time.
Let's expend energies on positive, creative community and nation - building ideas. I know I am, anyways.
Peace.
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by chidichris(m): 5:26pm On Oct 05, 2009
@real truth,
according to ur controversial write up, martin lurther had a dream and americans gave him support. what is our dream since ever u become a nigerian and who is our leader?
in the first instance, nigeria from inception have been found wanting in the area of leadership. it is biblical as well as ordinary that in reality, a blind man can never ever lead a blind man otherwise they will crash.

whenever aman dreams out of sickness, the next move must be mediucation otherwise the dreamer will degenerate into another level of sickness. abiola for instance was never a leader and as such could never had had dream that will salvage the interests of nigerians. a man attched to all military coups in nigeria and known for his fraudulent activities during the itt transaction is nothing less than an intelligent thief or otherwise a common criminal.

even without knowing it, u pointed out to the relevance of leadership but the nigeria we have is operating with the laws of those old years when the might is right and the brave takes all.

we have no leader and those u take for leaders have no dreams hence we cannot support animals who sleep with their own daughters inlaw or mess up with our resources.

leaders are those who are conscious of the situation of those under them.
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by REALTRUTH1: 9:24am On Oct 06, 2009
chidichris:

@real truth,
according to your controversial write up, martin lurther had a dream and americans gave him support. what is our dream since ever u become a nigerian and who is our leader?
in the first instance, nigeria from inception have been found wanting in the area of leadership. it is biblical as well as ordinary that in reality, a blind man can never ever lead a blind man otherwise they will crash.

whenever aman dreams out of sickness, the next move must be mediucation otherwise the dreamer will degenerate into another level of sickness. abiola for instance was never a leader and as such could never had had dream that will salvage the interests of nigerians. a man attched to all military coups in nigeria and known for his fraudulent activities during the itt transaction is nothing less than an intelligent thief or otherwise a common criminal.

even without knowing it, u pointed out to the relevance of leadership but the nigeria we have is operating with the laws of those old years when the might is right and the brave takes all.

we have no leader and those u take for leaders have no dreams hence we cannot support animals who sleep with their own daughters inlaw or mess up with our resources.

leaders are those who are conscious of the situation of those under them.
U re just a lousy person,,,ur postulation about Abiola exhibits the depth of ur bitterness and personal beef towards MKO,,,The june 12 election that was adjudged both nationally and internationally as the freest election ever held in Nigeria is what U re trying rubbish,,be truthful 2 ur self and tell me if U re without any sin,,,
ur submission can strongly contested even by a primary one student,,,if U have problem with MKO,,,what about other leaders that I mentioned and the ones I did not mention? or what is stopping you from filling up the position of LEADERSHIP which Nigeria needs so urgently?
U re talking animals sleeping with daughters inlaws,,,what has that got 2 do wit my post? I can clearly see where U heading from,,,,,I have always told people like U that ,,,,,,," U re not the only VICTIM of Biafra war",,,U guys needs 2 be objective and wake to the realities of our times and tides,,,,
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by citizenY(m): 3:29pm On Oct 06, 2009
@REALTRUTH

Please tell yourself the real truth. Abiola is one big bundle of contradictions that stole his way into

our hearts with a combination of razzmatazz, steady cash and native intelligence. I do not by any

chance deny his prominence in the Nigerian struggle but he hunted with dogs in the first instance .

Somewhere along the line ,he had to run with the rabbits (us).

As events later proved and the facts are becoming clearer. we cannot ignore the fact that he became

born again democrat. So the issue of coups, his relation and business affairs with the military, ITT etc

are well known. You cannot run away from them, just like June 12.

The home truth as to whether he could have made a good president, lies in conjecture
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by ThinkRait: 3:38pm On Oct 06, 2009
My deepest fears- tough talking but inactive Nigerians- the cowards amongst us.
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by chidichris(m): 4:21pm On Oct 06, 2009
U re just a lousy person,,,your postulation about Abiola exhibits the depth of your bitterness and personal beef towards MKO,,,The june 12 election that was adjudged both nationally and internationally as the freest election ever held in Nigeria is what U re trying rubbish,,be truthful 2 your self and tell me if U re without any sin,,,
your submission can strongly contested even by a primary one student,,,if U have problem with MKO,,,what about other leaders that I mentioned and the ones I did not mention? or what is stopping you from filling up the position of LEADERSHIP which Nigeria needs so urgently?
U re talking animals sleeping with daughters inlaws,,,what has that got 2 do wit my post? I can clearly see where U heading from,,,,,I have always told people like U that ,,,,,,," U re not the only VICTIM of Biafra war",,,U guys needs 2 be objective and wake to the realities of our times and tides,,,,

@real truth,
i can't help but laugh. me, lousy person? well, i have decided to take that for a compliment.
abiola was the best president nigeria never had. i know that is what u want to hear to call me a good orator but i wish to disappoint u here as i speak as an oracle.
abiola remains one of the greatest criminals nigeria have ever seen. fella made nigerians to understand far back that obasanjo and abiola are common criminals but we all took him for a madman but because obj refused to die like abiola, 99% of nigerians today know that obj is an old criminal so had it been that abiola refused to die, by now, nigeria would have been renamed abiola.
unfortunately my dear, i don't care what or how u feel but be rest assured that those u see as our leaders are nothing less than heartless criminals and because u are a wise man, i will suggest you do not relate them with men of standards like martin lurther.
brother, if i may ask you, what was the dream of martin lurther king and how did the americans support him and in which way did this dream come to pass?
i was forced to ask the above question because most of us talk because they hear from a nearby bar so an answer to the above question will make the difference.
my most worrying fear about nigeria is that our fate have been left in the hands of shameless and heartless beasts who act human beings.

things like u (real truth) just exist and move with the wind.
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by mbulela: 12:07am On Oct 07, 2009
my fears have long been actualized and exceeded.
I have given up years ago.
I have no other country, apart from the fact that it is the only passport i carry, i feel like an orphan.
The only thing holding this country is religion and oil.
religion because it provide the masses unimaginable hope and oil because the thieving rapist elite will always come to a compromise as long as their is more to loot.
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by mbulela: 12:10am On Oct 07, 2009
citizenY:

@REALTRUTH

Please tell yourself the real truth. Abiola is one big bundle of contradictions that stole his way into

our hearts with a combination of razzmatazz, steady cash and native intelligence. I do not by any

chance deny his prominence in the Nigerian struggle but he hunted with dogs in the first instance .

Somewhere along the line ,he had to run with the rabbits (us).

As events later proved and the facts are becoming clearer. we cannot ignore the fact that he became

born again democrat. So the issue of coups, his relation and business affairs with the military, ITT etc

are well known. You cannot run away from them, just like June 12.

The home truth as to whether he could have made a good president, lies in conjecture

gbam!!
and again i say, gbam!!!
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 12:42am On Oct 07, 2009
ThinkRait:

My deepest fears- tough talking but inactive Nigerians- the cowards amongst us.

Are you sure they are the cowards, or you for not standing up with them to both ensure change, through words and deeds, and to lend a helping hand towards a goal that would take likely take just ONE MAN a longer to achieve?

Gani stood alone and died alone for that country. We did not stand with him to help ensure success, and his dreams probably died with him since many out there looked at him from afar as a man "WHO TOO DO".
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 12:55am On Oct 07, 2009
My biggest fear about Nigeria is many useful souls wasting away, many ideas buried at the cemetery.
A nation that might never enjoy the purpose of being.
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by jimmysho(m): 7:46pm On Nov 17, 2013
I think this piece is still relevant in our present state as a nation.
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by jimmysho(m): 10:22pm On Apr 26, 2015
Back from the achieve
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Apr 26, 2015
My deepest fear is the Circle of Blood!
We can stop it by sitting down and negotiate Nigeria.
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Apr 26, 2015
jimmysho:
After Forty Nine {9} years of independence, my dear country seems not to have gotten it right as expected both within and outside  her shore. I decided to put this piece hoping to gettingt the most patrotic views of well meaning nigerians that visit this site. here are my thought:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
   our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
  We ask ourselves ' who are we to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented  fabulous, developed, matured and become
 the Jerusalem and Mecca of all nations?
                                                 [/color]  [color=#006600]

Actually, who are we not to be?
                We{Nigerians} are born to make manifest
                 the glory of God that is within us.
                 and as we let our own light shine,
                we unconsciously give other nations in Africa
                         the permission to do the same. 
[/b]

when the northern general give account of trillions stolen dollars we can talk .
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Apr 04, 2022
Way too late to fear, every bad that could ever happen has happened already grin
Wonder what he thinks now
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by allcomage: 5:30am On Apr 05, 2022
Mine is the huge ignorance that most Nigerians don't realise that Nigeria is not a country anymore, that it has collapsed irredeemably and that it can only get worst.
Re: What Is Your Deepest Fear About Nigeria? by EKONGKING: 5:39am On Apr 05, 2022
Nigeria will get there , the biggest mumu lie ever told.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bomb Scare In Zamfara Ahead Of Jonathan’s Visit / Elrufai Falsely Accuses Igbo Christian Of Planting Bombs In Mosques / B-r-e-a-k-i-n-g News: 2 Boko Haram Members Caught Planting Bomb At A Catholic C

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.