Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,895 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:47 PM

Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian (30743 Views)

Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) / 'President Buhari Called Me' - Dogara / Halima Buhari Called To Bar (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by lawrenzoak(m): 12:30pm On Aug 26, 2016
See The New Names Of Buhari And Osibanjo In Kano.

Nigerians are indeed very funny people. Especially my Kano people. On Sunday night, I was sitting with a guy who sell tea near my house before call for prayers. An elderly man came and said, "bani hadin Buhari - Give me Buhari's mixture" and without saying anything, the guy gave him tea and small bread and collected 50 Naira and gave 10 Naira change. Nothing more said. I was baffled so I asked what that meant and the tea guy said hadin Buhari mean tea without milk plus small bread.
Again this morning, a friend came to visit me. I saw him off to his car and on my way back, I remembered I needed battery for my wireless mouse and stopped by a guy running a small kiosk nearby to get one. Just while I was walking away, a guy I met there said, "bani Buhari de Osinbajo - give me Buhari and Osinbajo". I immediately paused to see what he meant and again, without uttering a word, he gave him garri and groundnut. I returned back to ask again what that meant and he said Garri is Buhari, Osinbajo is groundnut while Bukola is sugar. Kano will always make a comedy out of every circumstance.
So, this afternoon, I feel like having Buhari, Osinbajo and Bukola.

Angst as Nigerians feel pains of increasing hard times

These are not the best of times in Nigeria. Long before July 21, 2016, when the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, officially confirmed that the country was ‘technically in recession,’ it had been an arduous battle for survival for citizens, organizations and governments at all tiers.

The first half of the year was rough.

In spite of government’s assurances, Nigerians weathered the storm, bracing the challenge of petroleum scarcity, epileptic power supply amid increase in electricity tariff, removal of subsidy on petrol, hike in cost of food, goods and services, unprecedented scarcity of tomatoes, skyrocketing exchange rate of the naira to a dollar, backlog of unpaid salaries and mass retrenchment of workers.

Government kept repeating that the tide would turn once the 2016 budget was passed and the second half of the year would be better for the country and its citizens.
President Muhammadu Buhari eventually signed the budget on May 6, raising the hopes of turnaround with the injection of government funds across critical sectors of the economy.

With four months left in the year, it’s a stark reality of a depressed economy staring Nigerians in the face as strange things are reported daily.

Organized and petty crimes have been on the increase, unsecured pots of soup have become endangered species, sale of human blood and organs for economic reasons is rife, and frustrations have given rise to rampant cases of domestic violence, child abuse and suicide.

The hunger is so widespread that poultry farmers confess to skipping meals for their birds as the cost of feed has risen by 100 per cent.

Even in the president’s home state of Katsina recently, there was a massive scramble for unwholesome grain when the truck conveying bags of the suspected poisonous grains for destruction broke down in a village.

When persuasion failed, authorities had to engage the help of task force to retrieve some of the poisoned grains in a bid to avoid devastating consequences.

The new economic reality is affecting the lifestyle of Nigerians.

Today, an exchange of pleasantries is incomplete without the word ‘Change’ in reference to the evocative slogan that brought the present administration of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to power.

The standard reply to any untoward situation in the country is ‘Chanji’, the street version of APC’s motto – change.

A public affairs commentator based in Kano State, Aminu Muhammad Ofs, last week recounted his experience of the times, which has gone viral on social media.

He said: “I was sitting with a guy who sells tea when an elderly man came and said ‘Give me ‘Buhari’s mixture’. Without saying anything more, the man was given some tea and small bread for a sum of N40.
I was baffled, so I asked the seller what the man meant by ‘Buhari’s mixture’. He explained that it means tea without milk plus a small loaf of bread.

“Again the next day, I stopped by a small kiosk to get a battery for my wireless computer mouse. While I was leaving, a guy came who said: ‘Give me Buhari and Osinbajo. I waited to see what he meant and the seller handed him garri and groundnut.

“I inquired from the seller, who explained that garri is the street term for President Buhari, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo is groundnut, while Senate President Bukola Saraki is sugar, slang for the staple foods the poor can afford.”

Before now, Lagos State was often referred to the city that never sleeps, because it is known for its hustle and bustle from dawn to dusk.

The wind of recession has blown all that away.

The bustling nightlife is disappearing in the Centre of Excellence, as the city practically shuts down and becomes a ghost town once it is 10p.m., even on weekends.

Due to the harsh economic conditions in the country, Nigerians have developed some clever methods of dealing with the tough circumstances.

According to a public opinion survey by NOIPolls, released on August 10, 2016, 97 per cent of the respondents said the recent economic realities have had a negative effect on the wellbeing of the average Nigerian.
Some survival methods discovered by the polls include cutting down on household expenses and luxury items, resorting to prayers and hoping for a miracle, engaging in subsistence farming, adjusting feeding patterns in place of the regular three-square meals.

A businessman, Emeka Obinna told The Guardian that he has had to adjust the feeding patterns of his family.
“I have a family of six, with several other dependents. That’s the only way we are managing to survive. No more three-square meals. It is either breakfast and dinner, or lunch and dinner. So, it is the 1-0-1, 1-1-0 or 0-1-1 formula I am operating now with the little resources at my disposal,” he said.

http://m.guardian.ng/news/angst-as-nigerians-feel-pains-of-increasing-hard-times/

24 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by nnachukz(m): 12:41pm On Aug 26, 2016
The suffering never enter their body well. Shebi they gave him 2million votes. Their suffering will be in 2million multiplier.

215 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by KELVINXY: 12:47pm On Aug 26, 2016
Revolution lurking. grin

35 Likes

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by betterABIAstate: 1:48pm On Aug 26, 2016
OK, I think they should be arrested for calling buhari and osinbajo garri and groundnut respectively.
No be only the person wey call dog buhari go suffer.

145 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by mykemiley(f): 1:52pm On Aug 26, 2016
betterABIAstate:
OK, I think they should be arrested for calling buhari and osinbajo garri and groundnut respectively.
No be only the per

9 Likes

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by abokibuhari: 1:53pm On Aug 26, 2016
I told them but they gave their votes to pmb and osibanjo, let there be suffering and there was suffering grin

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by Nobody: 1:53pm On Aug 26, 2016
Useless government

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by abokibuhari: 1:55pm On Aug 26, 2016
Keneking:
Useless government
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by babyfaceafrica: 2:08pm On Aug 26, 2016
Lienus
Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 26, 2016
KELVINXY:
Revolution lurking. grin
who wan revolt?

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by fineboynl(m): 4:10pm On Aug 26, 2016
the best laugh I had this week. lalasticlala seun.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by otukpo(f): 4:41pm On Aug 26, 2016
This story is funny.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by achi4u(m): 4:54pm On Aug 26, 2016
It's seems the Northerners are feeling the heat much more than the south. We in SE are busy adding more money in all the goods in our stock.

88 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by freegaza(m): 5:04pm On Aug 26, 2016
http://www.bbc.com/hausa/labarai/2016/08/160826_nigeria_buhariyya Meaning Nigerians have nicknamed food Buhari
Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by arabbunkum: 7:16pm On Aug 26, 2016
People are really suffering.

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by able20(m): 7:27pm On Aug 26, 2016
nnachukz:
The suffering never enter their body well. Shebi they gave him 2million votes. Their suffering will be in 2million multiplier.
No naa, all the zombies in the north have realized their mistakes for voting a confused Buubu. We pray for some SW Zombies to also see the scam apc brought to Nigeria.

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by Amanwulu1(m): 8:09pm On Aug 26, 2016
How many ppl will buhari arrest now. Dat baba is allergic to name calling and is a wicked saddist. Frm his face u'll see.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by Amanwulu1(m): 8:13pm On Aug 26, 2016
Just thank God me and my children will not drink buhari mixture. For what now? wen I didn't vote bihara.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by aljharem(m): 8:16pm On Aug 26, 2016
able20:

No naa, all the zombies in the north have realized their mistakes for voting a confused Buubu. We pray for some SW Zombies to also see the scam apc brought to Nigeria.

These are the most annoying set of people I have ever encountered in my life. We in the SW have realised but the online time paid by Tinubu are playing the ostrich.

Suffering and smiling. I pray their family and generation suffer hardly with pain and bitterness and the average Nigerian is suffering

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by Taich(m): 8:37pm On Aug 26, 2016
nnachukz:
Guy Chill. These are ur country men. They just made a mistake. Please give them a break. The situation is rough already and shouldn't reach x2m.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by LeoAde: 9:17pm On Aug 26, 2016
nnachukz:

So Will their suffering bring blessing to you,
That's why an Igbo can't be President, Illusive biafrans and their careless thinking

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by veekid(m): 9:50am On Sep 01, 2016
We don enter am already; if you like name your rice..... dangote, that won't change the fact that Nigeria is in recession

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by MadCow1: 9:52am On Sep 01, 2016
I heard they call 'Bitter Kola' Fayose..

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by EniHolar(f): 9:53am On Sep 01, 2016
Who is kuli-kuli?

grin

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by joezy23(m): 9:53am On Sep 01, 2016
I don laf tire for here

1 Like

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by metalDETECTED(m): 9:53am On Sep 01, 2016
grin
Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by drizslim(m): 9:53am On Sep 01, 2016
You people should please put some RESPEK on our President's name

1 Like

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by IVORY2009(m): 9:53am On Sep 01, 2016
I dey laugh oooooo grin

On a more serious note, if some form of drastic intervention is not taken by this govt, I am afraid, the rate of crime would increase!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by legendte(m): 9:55am On Sep 01, 2016
Change!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Called "Garri" In Kano, Osinbajo "Groundnut" & Saraki "Sugar" - Guardian by Nickymezor(f): 9:56am On Sep 01, 2016
We Nigerians can be funny no b small... grin grin....Wat wont smone hear....Hapi new month guys

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why I Stepped Down For Atiku - Tambuwal (Video) / Can #BuyNaijaToGrowNaira Save Nigerian Economy? - CNN (pics) / Cambridge: Why We Can’t Authenticate Buhari’s Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.