Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,431 members, 7,812,281 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? (18785 Views)

JTF And Abuja Taxi Drivers Clash This Morning (pictures) / EFCC Seizes Fayose's Houses In Lagos And Abuja, Quizzes Olu Falae / "Niger-Delta Avengers" Threaten To Bomb Lagos And Abuja - Madoch Agninibo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Nobody: 7:28am On Aug 28, 2016
I have seen several threads where people have praised and talked down the two cities before; so i have decided to create a thread where we can clear up this issue ones and for all.

This is not an attemp to start a hate thread and if you think you can't keep your bigotory aside, well, you may want to stay off this thread.

In order to make the comparism more OBJECTIVE (and i stress that word "OBJECTIVE" alot), i am going to list some criteria which i think are fair enough. If they are not fair, you can raise an objection, it's allowed. And if you think there are other ones that i did not mention, you can add them. So here are the criteria:

SECURITY: this brings to mind the security of lives and properties. Of course, a better city must have a better security as can be measured by the prevalent crime rate. Also, what is the government of the city doing to reduce crime rate. How properly equiped are the security agents? how motivated are they? Is a proper crime statistics available for the said city? Is there a crime report and response system in place? If yes, how effective is it?

INFRASTRUCTURE: this brings to mind things like roads, rail, bridges, parks, etc. How good are they? How extensive are the networks? Do they link up the various parts of the city that not just a few, but the majority of the people have access to it? What about the maintainance culture of the city? What are the efforts being put into maintainance of the facilities? And the safety of the roads? How much security is available on them? In the case of accidents, how fast can an ambulance be deployed?

SPORTS: what amount of sport goes on in the city? This is a direct implication of the availability of sport centres. How many good sport centres are available in the city? How dispersed are they, i.e how spread out are they such that more people from diferent places have access to it?

HEALTH SERVICE: how many good health service centres are there? What is the state of the public hospitals? How wide spread are the primary health centres especially such that more people can have access?

SANITATION: of course, this is self explanatory.

DEMOGRAPHICS: Who is this city for? It’s a question that gets asked a lot in planning circles these days. It gets at issues of diversity,
accessibility and inclusion. Does
the city work for everyone, or only for some subsets of entire population.

TRANSPORTATION: what kind of transportation is available in the city? How decent are they? How extensive are they too? How constant is the transport service so that if you want to move from a place to the other at anytime of the day, you could get a bus, train, boat etc depending on which means is available.

CULTURE AND ENTERTAINMENT: i think this one is also self explanatory.
Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Klinee: 8:16am On Aug 28, 2016
how can u compare Abuja and Lagos?
Abuja is far better than Lagos, but Lagos is thicker, dirt, rough and more unplanned than Abuja

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by vani86: 8:45am On Aug 28, 2016
Kebbi is d best

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by nkwachiabel(m): 9:09am On Aug 28, 2016
1st of all, klinee Lagos is better than abuja.
Let me start wity security: Lagos is more secure than abuja and it's inhabitants are more security conscious. Have u ever heard of a terrorist attack in Lagos? I'm not trying to say lag is free from armed robbers or thief's o. There's no city where there are no thieves but in Lagos, everyone is more conscious than abuja.
Infrastructure: you can't compare a developing city (abuja) with a developed one (lagos). Look @ d companies in lagos, the roads, etc. Yes abuja have good roads but same does lagos. The electricity is improving in every part of the country. The presence of Lagoon in lag sef will tell u there's enough water in lag. I've been to abuja (kubwa) where u need to go outside ur compound to get water
Sports: Do I really hv to say anything here?
Health services. Every nook and cranny in Lag, u ll find hospitals there. Unlike abuja, all u c is pharmacy.
Sanitation: both cities r clean. Very clean actually.
Demographics: due to d prices of goods and cost of living in abuja, I think it's more suitable for the federal workers who hv a steady income. But lag, it's home for all. Things are affordable.
I'm speaking from personal experience. Lived in both cities.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Nkem4040: 9:20am On Aug 28, 2016
I won't live in either of the two. Abuja is now like Lagos...crowded, dirty, busy and noisy. Enugu remains the only alternative. I would have added Calabar...Calabar is no longer what it used to be.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by robay(m): 9:39am On Aug 28, 2016
nkwachiabel:
Let me start wity security: Lagos is more secure than abuja and it's inhabitants are more security conscious. Have u ever heard of a terrorist attack in Lagos? I'm not trying to say lag is free from armed robbers or thief's o. There's no city where there are no thieves but in Lagos, everyone is more conscious than abuja.
Infrastructure: you can't compare a developing city (abuja) with a developed one (lagos). Look @ d companies in lagos, the roads, etc. Yes abuja have good roads but same does lagos. The electricity is improving in every part of the country. The presence of Lagoon in lag sef will tell u there's enough water in lag. I've been to abuja (kubwa) where u need to go outside ur compound to get water
Health services. Every nook and cranny in Lag, u ll find hospitals there. Unlike abuja, all u c is pharmacy.
Demographics: due to d prices of goods and cost of living in abuja, I think it's more suitable for the federal workers who hv a steady income. But lag, it's home for all. Things are affordable.
u get sense Jare grin don't mind dat FTC fool saying rubbish out of hate,is a ipob yoot not surprise,dia land is full of erosion that is why e dey pain am

7 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by robay(m): 9:41am On Aug 28, 2016
Nkem4040:
I won't live in either of the two. Abuja is now like Lagos...crowded, dirty, busy and noisy. Enugu remains the only alternative. I would have added Calabar...Calabar is no longer what it used to be.
grin

17 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Nobody: 9:52am On Aug 28, 2016
Klinee:
how can u compare Abuja and Lagos?
Abuja is far better than Lagos, but Lagos is thicker, dirt, rough and more unplanned than Abuja

i gave criteria you should use to judge the better city. You refused to use it but went straight ahead to give your prejudice.
Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 28, 2016
Nkem4040:
we are comparing the two only.
Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 28, 2016
nkwachiabel:

ehen, this is the kind of analysis we want. You take each criteria and tell us what you think about it about the two cities. If you say Lagos, then analyse lagos by the criteria we have given. And if you think Abuja, then do the same.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Nobody: 11:30am On Aug 28, 2016
@OAM4j and @Mynd44 pls move this to front page.
Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Aug 28, 2016
vani86:
Kebbi is d best
we are discussing only Lagos and Abuja, no other city

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Godemcee(m): 3:36pm On Aug 28, 2016
Lagos is more developed than Abuja

security wise Lagos might experience robbery like other state's including Abu,but terrorist attack can't be successful in Lagos cause everybody is alarmed
infrastructure wise: Lagos boast of more industry,real estate,sea ports air port,nd now refinery nd eko Atlantic are under construction.the industry in lagos would cripple dat in Abuja, Nd places surrounded by water develop more.

entertainment: Lagos Is the home of celebrities in Nigeria.if u an inspiring musicians nd u wanna blow just be popular in Lagos,u might be popular in Abuja nobody would know u,most musicial shows are organized in lag(ain't no party like a Lagos party)
even in sport lagos take the lead.
nd finally population is important nd lagos is the most populated state in Africa

so I give it to lag cause av stayed in both state

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 28, 2016
Godemcee:
Lagos is more developed than Abuja

security wise Lagos might experience robbery like other state's including Abu,but terrorist attack can't be successful in Lagos cause everybody is alarmed
infrastructure wise: Lagos boast of more industry,real estate,sea ports air port,nd now refinery nd eko Atlantic are under construction.the industry in lagos would cripple dat in Abuja, Nd places surrounded by water develop more.

entertainment: Lagos Is the home of celebrities in Nigeria.if u an inspiring musicians nd u wanna blow just be popular in Lagos,u might be popular in Abuja nobody would know u,most musicial shows are organized in lag(ain't no party like a Lagos party)
even in sport lagos take the lead.
nd finally population is important nd lagos is the most populated state in Africa

so I give it to lag cause av stayed in both state

we welcome this kind of analysis.

One thing i like about Abuja is its roads. They are large enough and neat. I don't know if the reason they are neat is because they take less pressure or that relative to the ones in Lagos, they are built newly.
Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by OBAFEMIawolowo: 3:56pm On Aug 28, 2016
For me Lagos is better, Lagos island will beat Abuja anytime, anyday. Places like VI, lekki, ikoyi will beat abuja anyday.

Both cities are expensive depending on the area.
Those who think abuja is cool should visit nyanya, gwagalada and mararaba, you will hate abuja.

Lagos ahead of abuja anytime

3 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 28, 2016
OBAFEMIawolowo:
For me Lagos is better, Lagos island will beat Abuja anytime, anyday. Places like VI, lekki, ikoyi will beat abuja anyday.

Those who think abuja is cool should visit nyanya, gwagalada and mararaba, you will hate abuja.

i would prefer it if you could go by the criteria i mentioned at the begining. It is not just about some roads and organization. It is about the criteria i mentioned above.

Gwagwalada is not very bad. The areas around phase 1, 2 and 3 are ok they are well planned but the infrastructures in phase 2 are failing especially around the university and the boys' hostel
Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by OBAFEMIawolowo: 5:05pm On Aug 28, 2016
craziebone:

i would prefer it if you could go by the criteria i mentioned at the begining. It is not just about some roads and organization. It is about the criteria i mentioned above.

Gwagwalada is not very bad. The areas around phase 1, 2 and 3 are ok they are well planned but the infrastructures in phase 2 are failing especially around the university and the boys' hostel
OK

Security : abuja (fct factor)
Infrastructure: Lagos (take a stroll to the island)

Sports : Lagos (it has football clubs in NPL, the headquarter of beach soccer in Africa and also with good stadia)

Health service: abuja (almost all district has a standard general hospital, FCT factor though)
Sanitation: Abuja

Demography: definitely Lagos, the city of hustlers.

Transportation: Lagos (BRT with more buses than abuja city trans, monorail soon to be completed etc)

Entertainment and culture: Lagos is the headquarters of entertainment in Africa.

Lagos is better than abuja, simple

5 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Aug 28, 2016
Abuja is better by a million times. If you have never been to the entirety of Abuja, pls don't comment.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Aug 28, 2016
Learn to make contributions devoid of sentiments. You're obviously Yoruba and I expected to you say Lagos is better even tho you may have never been to Abuja (just saying tho).

Listen, those places you mentioned are like the regular places in Abuja. Even the gwagwalada and Nyanya you mentioned are better than Ikotun and Bariga in Lagos.

I've got no time to write lengthy articles but overall, Abuja is miles ahead of Lagos and both shouldn't even be in the same sentence.
OBAFEMIawolowo:

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Businessideas: 5:43pm On Aug 28, 2016
Nkem4040:
Don't you ever ever ever mention Enugu where raw human faeces run through a whole market shocked
Which kind nonsense alternative is that??Just wait until we start talking of rundown towns or failed states,then mention your dirty Enugu,in a bid to show your primitive igbocentric tribalism, you completely pretend not to know that this is a thread about Abuja and Lagos!!
Arrant nonsense angry angry

5 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Aug 28, 2016
balderdash... You can't even compare the ease of transportation in Abuja with that of Lagos. Oh and what infrastructure? The buildings that only look good from afar? Lmao!

Lagos is being seriously overrated and thats part of the reason most first time visitors to the state are disappointed.

OBAFEMIawolowo:
OK

Security : abuja (fct factor)
Infrastructure: Lagos (take a stroll to the island)

Sports : Lagos (it has football clubs in NPL, the headquarter of beach soccer in Africa and also with good stadia)

Health service: abuja (almost all district has a standard general hospital, FCT factor though)
Sanitation: Abuja

Demography: definitely Lagos, the city of hustlers.

Transportation: Lagos (BRT with more buses than abuja city trans, monorail soon to be completed etc)

Entertainment and culture: Lagos is the headquarters of entertainment in Africa.

Lagos is better than abuja, simple

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Businessideas: 6:05pm On Aug 28, 2016
Millerz:
balderdash... You can't even compare the ease of transportation in Abuja with that of Lagos. Oh and what infrastructure? The buildings that only look good from afar? Lmao!

Lagos is being seriously overrated and thats part of the reason most first time visitors to the state are disappointed.

Did you just say Lagos is overrated?Lagos that houses the airport that accounts for more than 75% of international air flights in and out of Nigeria.
The financial capital of Nigeria, even a northern Nigeria owned Unity Bank Plc just two months ago relocated their corporate headquarters back to Lagos after making a mistake of moving it to Abuja.
Finally, ask every Abuja resident if she/he has a relative in Lagos, then compare the result to asking people in Lagos if they have a family in Abuja. Lagos is so so so rich in everything, it's culture, history, infrastructure, population,attitude etc. Lagos is Africa's gift to the world.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by OBAFEMIawolowo: 7:01pm On Aug 28, 2016
Millerz:

I have been to abuja, ikoyi/VI will takeout garki, asokoro, wise etc anytime anyday
Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by OBAFEMIawolowo: 7:08pm On Aug 28, 2016
Businessideas:

Don't you ever ever ever mention Enugu where raw human faeces run through a whole market shocked
Which kind nonsense alternative is that??Just wait until we start talking of rundown towns or failed states,then mention your dirty Enugu,in a bid to show your primitive igbocentric tribalism, you completely pretend not to know that this is a thread about Abuja and Lagos!!
Arrant nonsense angry angry
that's a market, we have worse markets in Lagos and abuja.
Life in Enugu is more easier than abuja and Lagos, though Enugu is less developed but after Lagos and abuja, I Bet the next destination for anybody should be calabar and Enugu, if good road network and serenity is what the person seeks. This doesn't need to suit your ego, its the truth.
Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Businessideas: 7:57pm On Aug 28, 2016
OBAFEMIawolowo:
that's a market, we have worse markets in Lagos and abuja.
Life in Enugu is more easier than abuja and Lagos, though Enugu is less developed but after Lagos and abuja, I Bet the next destination for anybody should be calabar and Enugu, if good road network and serenity is what the person seeks. This doesn't need to suit your ego, its the truth.
Tufiakwa!!! We don't have any market in Lagos or Abuja with poo running through the center yet people are selling, buying and eating in the poo shocked shocked.What happened in Enugu is a new low for the black race.
You still don't get it. Your Enugu doesn't come near the league of the two cities the op did his research on. It beats my imagination how on earth you brought in a very backward Enugu into the picture.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by OBAFEMIawolowo: 8:05pm On Aug 28, 2016
Businessideas:

Tufiakwa!!! We don't have any market in Lagos or Abuja with poo running through the center yet people are selling, buying and eating in the poo shocked shocked.What happened in Enugu is a new low for the black race.
You still don't get it. Your Enugu doesn't come near the league of the two cities the op did his research on. It beats my imagination how on earth you brought in a very backward Enugu into the picture.
a lot of markets in Lagos are in such conditions, I'm not saying this so you will like it, its the truth mushin market is worse than any market in Enugu, mile12 market sinks like a mortuary. You can say that to people that don't know Lagos. Mile12 market will easily win the award for the stinkest market in africa, you may end up dying if you don't cover your nose when passing there.

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 28, 2016
Smh, You're still overrating Lagos and what has the bolded got to do with anything??

If Lagos was so wonderful, why is it among the worst countries in the world to live in? Even fellow Africans get overtly disappointed after coming to Lagos. You do realise that the airport you speak of was the world's worst airport in 2013 yh? And the only reason Lagos accounts for 75% (or more) Intl flights in and out of Nigeria is because of our sick and perverted system of government.

Our sick politicians made everything to revolve around Lagos. Heck, even some airlines didn't operate in Abuja and up till this day many don't. Why should a country of over 180m people depend solely on one Intl airport or seaport? so its not something to be proud about. Its actually shameful. Even New York airport can't boast of that luxury.

Per your last sentence, I can only Smh at you. Lagos cannot even compete with the likes of Johannesburg, Pretoria, Alexandria, Nairobi, Durban, Cairo etc so quit the hype.

I'm not hating, we're both Nigerians but we must face reality and work to make this nation better other than lying and giving ourselves false hopes.

Businessideas:

Did you just say Lagos is overrated?Lagos that houses the airport that accounts for more than 75% of international air flights in and out of Nigeria.
The financial capital of Nigeria, even a northern Nigeria owned Unity Bank Plc just two months ago relocated their corporate headquarters back to Lagos after making a mistake of moving it to Abuja.
Finally, ask every Abuja resident if she/he has a relative in Lagos, then compare the result to asking people in Lagos if they have a family in Abuja. Lagos is so so so rich in everything, it's culture, history, infrastructure, population,attitude etc. Lagos is Africa's gift to the world.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by walemoney007(m): 9:08pm On Aug 28, 2016
Millerz:
Smh, You're still overrating Lagos and what has the bolded got to do with anything??

If Lagos was so wonderful, why is it among the worst countries in the world to live in? Even fellow Africans get overtly disappointed after coming to Lagos. You do realise that the airport you speak of was the world's worst airport in 2013 yh? And the only reason Lagos accounts for 75% (or more) Intl flights in and out of Nigeria is because of our sick and perverted system of government.

Our sick politicians made everything to revolve around Lagos. Heck, even some airlines didn't operate in Abuja and up till this day many don't. Why should a country of over 180m people depend solely on one Intl airport or seaport? so its not something to be proud about. Its actually shameful. Even New York airport can't boast of that luxury.

Per your last sentence, I can only Smh at you. Lagos cannot even compete with the likes of Johannesburg, Pretoria, Alexandria, Nairobi, Durban, Cairo etc so quit the hype.

I'm not hating, we're both Nigerians but we must face reality and work to make this nation better other than lying and giving ourselves false hopes.

girl you are really sick and daft....have been reading all your nonsense since,but I cant just take this...have you been to johanesburg and Nairobi before? If yes,where in Johannesburg and Nairobi did you visit/lived? Lagos economy is larger than 80% of those state you mentioned....is just like saying Dubai or doha is better than new York or London....how dare you compare Nairobi to Lagos sef

4 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Businessideas: 9:15pm On Aug 28, 2016
OBAFEMIawolowo:
a lot of markets in Lagos are in such conditions, I'm not saying this so you will like it, its the truth mushin market is worse than any market in Enugu, mile12 market sinks like a mortuary. You can say that to people that don't know Lagos. Mile12 market will easily win the award for the stinkest market in africa, you may end up dying if you don't cover your nose when passing there.
Please tell me which market in Lagos has poo,raw human faeces running through its middle shocked shocked like this or forever remain silent.
Lagos right from the 1960s has sanitary inspectors called 'WoleWole' who would have even shut down the house let alone a whole market shocked
Just don't drag Lagos into your Enugu mess

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Businessideas: 9:19pm On Aug 28, 2016
walemoney007:
girl you are really sick and daft....have been reading all your nonsense since,but I cant just take this...have you been to johanesburg and Nairobi before? If yes,where in Johannesburg and Nairobi did you visit/lived? Lagos economy is larger than 80% of those state you mentioned....is just like saying Dubai or doha is better than new York or London....how dare you compare Nairobi to Lagos sef
Just ignore all these small kids On Nairaland. I don't blame them, it's the jobless op who is comparing a fully matured city on the coast of the Atlantic to a young emerging city on the fringe of the Sahara that I blame.
Lagos Atlantic City alone is enough to buy up these chikini chikini cities some of them are propping up.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 28, 2016
Youre obviously a senile being. I wont stoop to your level. Only sub humans jump on posts insulting without being able to converse intellectually.

Insult your ancestors. Daft slowpoke!
walemoney007:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Wyttcat: 9:34pm On Aug 28, 2016
No comparison.

Abuja is a no character bedroom communities, an artificial city with no life or identity, while Lagos will forever be the center of excellence and everything Abuja isn't and will never be.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jonathan Denies Endorsing Atiku / Activists Sue Buhari Over Perjury / Troops Neutralize Three Bandits, Recover Weapons In Kaduna (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.