Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,656 members, 7,820,287 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? (18830 Views)

JTF And Abuja Taxi Drivers Clash This Morning (pictures) / EFCC Seizes Fayose's Houses In Lagos And Abuja, Quizzes Olu Falae / "Niger-Delta Avengers" Threaten To Bomb Lagos And Abuja - Madoch Agninibo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by ODVanguard: 4:54pm On Aug 29, 2016
It's an insult to compare Abuja as it is presently to Lagos coz Lagos no be Abuja mate at all. A big insult. I'm going to do a pictorial comparison of both and let any objective mind be judge. Cc: KelvinDein, OBAFEMIawolowo, Pidggin, craziebone, walemoney007, Millerz, Wyttcat, Puvour, Businessideas,

THIS IS LAGOS (Abuja will come next)

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by ODVanguard: 5:12pm On Aug 29, 2016
Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Pidggin(f): 5:19pm On Aug 29, 2016
ODVanguard:

Those pictures have said it all smiley

Let me add a few more, I miss Lag

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Puvour: 5:25pm On Aug 29, 2016
Abagworo:

The worst South African city is better than Lagos if I must make a choice. We Nigerians hate good environment and it is too obvious to be denied. So while you people argue which poo is messier between Lagos and Abuja don't bring Johannesburg or Capetown in your comparison.
Your statement is definitely far from rational and thank goodness, you personalized it, so no biggie. I compared only Lagos Islands (Lagos, VI, Ikoyi, Lekki, Banana) with Jo'burg and justified why I did so with salient points. If you can't address the points like the other lady attempted, please swerve.
Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by arushiuga(m): 5:40pm On Aug 29, 2016
Lagos is a very depressing city. The pig smell, the traffic, the horrible odour. The roads are death traps. Any body who says eko ni baje dosen't know what spoil really means. Lagos stinks like a decomposing rat in the bedroom. Anyone who quotes me negatively is an idiot

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by blackmantis: 5:58pm On Aug 29, 2016
with the craziest traffic in the country,

dare devil armed robbers who rob with impunity at bus stops and in the busy traffic not to talk of one chance, pickpockets 419, area boys and touts,

crowded over populated and polluted streets,

how can you compare Lagos with Abuja.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Coldplay89(m): 6:05pm On Aug 29, 2016
..=

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by OoDVanguard: 6:06pm On Aug 29, 2016
The antispam bot kept banning me for posting links to Abuja skyline. Oh well, here goes nothing. Unfortunately I can only attach 4 pix per post via this method. undecided They're some of the best I could find.

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Coldplay89(m): 6:07pm On Aug 29, 2016
craziebone:

you made very good points about us being a few city state and its detriments. How i wish, we could move away from that approach to life.

As for Lagos being lumped up together with the likes of Islamabad, Karachi, Kabul etc, that i strongly disagree with. These cities see daily bombings from terrorists, bombings that can only be rivaled by Boko Haram's activities in Maiduguri. I can bet you that alot of all the reasons, some people jumble up Lagos with those cities is because of stereotype, and stereotypes die hard!

As for Nairobi, i don't know if you've been to Nairobi before; if not, our only info on Nairobi will be from the internet. Isn't Nairobi the city that houses the Kibera slum, remind me? A quick google search showed me that three top skylines in Africa and they are: Johanesbourg, Cairo and Lagos.

Anyway, this isn't about Lagos and anyother city, but Lagos and Abuja. Let's keep it small.
Kibera doesnt in any way negate the fact that Nairobi is a one of the most modern cities in Africa, even surpassing Lagos. The last time i checked, virtually all large cities in Africa have slums. The presence of a place like Kibera shouldnt the4 be strange.

Ever been tyo Narobi yourself? Welcome
http://www.jamiiforums.com/threads/east-africas-capital-nairobi-city-photo-gallery.828603/

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by OoDVanguard: 6:11pm On Aug 29, 2016
More Abuja.

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by OoDVanguard: 6:20pm On Aug 29, 2016
Abj

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by OoDVanguard: 6:31pm On Aug 29, 2016
More Lag.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by OoDVanguard: 6:51pm On Aug 29, 2016
Coldplay89:

Kibera doesnt in any way negate the fact that Nairobi is a one of the most modern cities in Africa, even surpassing Lagos. The last time i checked, virtually all large cities in Africa have slums. The presence of a place like Kibera shouldnt the4 be strange.

Ever been tyo Narobi yourself? Welcome
http://www.jamiiforums.com/threads/east-africas-capital-nairobi-city-photo-gallery.828603/

Guy stop yarning dust. I have been to and lived briefly in Nairobi so you no fit bamboozle us. Fine, the city has a great and impressive skyline no doubt, which is mainly concentrated at the CBD, but overall it can't beat Lasgidi, and you can take that to the bank! Lagos has several clusters of skyscrapers and high-rise buildings that litter its landscape that Nairobi can't match. Plus, the quality of the buildings and architecture you will find in Lasgidi's can only be rivaled by S.A (Jo'Burg and CapeTown in particular) in the ENTIRE AFRICA! If na lie, I DARE YOU to show me the best that Nairobi has to offer (Nairobi wey be say the moment wey you comot Westlands and Ngong Road you don see the BEST of Nairobi finish), make we compare am to just Ordinary Nicon Town Estate for Lekki wey fine pass ANYTHING in the entire Kenya. Yeye dey smell.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Aug 29, 2016
OoDVanguard:

Guy stop yarning dust. I have been to and lived briefly in Nairobi so you no fit bamboozle us. Fine, the city has a great and impressive skyline no doubt, which is mainly concentrated at the CBD, but overall it can't beat Lasgidi, and you can take that to the bank! Lagos has several clusters of skyscrapers and high-rise buildings that litter its landscape that Nairobi can't match. Plus, the quality of the buildings and architecture you will find in Lasgidi's can only be rivaled by S.A (Jo'Burg and CapeTown in particular) in the ENTIRE AFRICA! If na lie, I DARE YOU to show me the best that Nairobi has to offer (Nairobi wey be say the moment wey you comot Westlands and Ngong Road you don see the BEST of Nairobi finish), make we compare am to just Ordinary Nicon Town Estate for Lekki wey fine pass ANYTHING in the entire Kenya. Yeye dey smell.
actually when you compare the list of tallest buildings btn lagos (above 60meters) and nairobi (above 65m) lagos beats nairobi. y only a few buildings, but when you look at. uildings under construction, you see that nairobi beats lagos by alot, by 2018, nairobi will have the 1st,2nd,3rd tallest buildings in africa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Nigeria

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Nairobi

cmparing lagos to j'burg is a bit far fetched. dont you think?
Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 29, 2016
Here is my submission and i am going to take one criteria at a time.

TRANSPORTATION: here, i am going to compare the two cities based on that which they have in common. This means i will not be mentioning water transportation which Lagos has and Abuja doesn't due to nature.

Abuja: the main means of transport here are the El-Rufai, the private green buses which are equivalent to the Lagos danfo. They also have private cabs too. Keke and bikes are used too.

In Abuja, transportation is cheap for the same distance relative to Lagos. However, unlike Lagos, there are times of the day you can't get a bus from a place to another.

In Lagos, the major means of transportation are the BRTs (blue and red with the blues being more decent as they are properly airconditioned and highly organised), Danfo, keke, bike (in streets and minor roads). The Lagos BRTs (blue) beats any mass transport system Abuja has to offer.

Taxis: lagos taxis, though more expensive than Abuja's (and i think it is a general thing between northern and southern cities. Northern cities tend to have cheaper taxis than their southern counterparts), the taxis in Lagos are more decent and neater than anything i have seen in Abuja.
Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Aug 29, 2016
denisfidha:
actually when you compare the list of tallest buildings btn lagos (above 60meters) and nairobi (above 65m) lagos beats nairobi. y only a few buildings, but when you look at. uildings under construction, you see that nairobi beats lagos by alot, by 2018, nairobi will have the 1st,2nd,3rd tallest buildings in africa

have you ever been to Lagos?

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Abagworo(m): 8:05pm On Aug 29, 2016
Puvour:
Your statement is definitely far from rational and thank goodness, you personalized it, so no biggie. I compared only Lagos Islands (Lagos, VI, Ikoyi, Lekki, Banana) with Jo'burg and justified why I did so with salient points. If you can't address the points like the other lady attempted, please swerve.

You cannot compare light with darkness. Let us 1st of all get stable power supply, central gas supply and fully functional public water supply before going to good public transport viz rail, water, air and road. We have nothing to compare except perhaps over population and chaos.

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by OoDVanguard: 8:10pm On Aug 29, 2016
denisfidha:

Guy, Like I inferred earlier, Nairobi has impressive skyline particularly in the City Center, but as a whole, it can't match Lasgidi coz Lagos has different clusters of Skyscrapers in different parts of the city/state, I know what I'm saying, while Nairobi's skyline is heavily concentrated in that one main CBD. Lagos state has more than one CBD (Marina/Lagos Island CDB, Ikeja CBD, Alausa CBD, Victoria Island CDB, and Eko Atlantic is in the works) and they all have very impressive structures, skyscrapers and buildings.

When I compared J'Bourg and Capetown to Lagos, I did so in terms of the quality of the housing and estates (I will concede that both cities are slightly ahead of Lagos overall, but Lasgidi still gives them a run for their money), and I stand by that statement. Below are examples of world class private properties that can compete with the best of the world.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by KevinDein: 8:12pm On Aug 29, 2016
arushiuga:
Lagos is a very depressing city. The pig smell, the traffic, the horrible odour. The roads are death traps. Any body who says eko ni baje dosen't know what spoil really means. Lagos stinks like a decomposing rat in the bedroom. Anyone who quotes me negatively is an idiot
well said man.

Lagos stinks, literally, big time.
Some dude up there is posting pics of selected areas that do not make up to 40% of the entire city. We are not deceived. Some of us have been there seen it and know there is better life in several other Nigerian cities.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by OoDVanguard: 8:20pm On Aug 29, 2016
More LAgos cribs courtesy of GidiCribs.

1, 2, and 3 are located within Carlton Gate Estate, Lekki
4 is located inside VGC

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by OoDVanguard: 8:31pm On Aug 29, 2016
KevinDein:
well said man.

Lagos stinks, literally, big time.
Some dude up there is posting pics of selected areas that do not make up to 40% of the entire city. We are not deceived. Some of us have been there seen it and know there is better life in several other Nigerian cities.

Dude, you sound like a typical coward. The Abuja you are hyping has ghettos like kpadna village, Garki village right in the heart of Abuja itself. But you would rather bash Lasgidi. Abeg while you're entitled to your opinion, be mindful that it ain't worth shyt. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Puvour: 8:54pm On Aug 29, 2016
Abagworo:

You cannot compare light with darkness. Let us 1st of all get stable power supply, central gas supply and fully functional public water supply before going to good public transport viz rail, water, air and road. We have nothing to compare except perhaps over population and chaos.
Now this is a better approach which I can engage intelligently. Not making irrational statements like the worst city in SA is better than the best in Nigeria.
To the point now
Whether it's provided for by the government or by the private sector or individuals, infrastructure is infrastructure once it is available. Many businesses and residences on the Island meet their power needs themselves so the issue of power not being their cannot really hold. If Power infrastructure was lacking on the island, Lagos would definitely not cash in from that place at all as the best revenue source. The only difference here is, the money that could have been saved or spent on other things to grow the businesses further by are being spent on the provision of that particular infrastructure. So it's not an issue of the lack of infrastructure, but the wrong utilization of input.
The Island has one of the best connected roads within it in Africa! The population makes it look inadequate but when you compare it in absolute terms with other African cities, it is sure fairing well. Of course, water transport in Lagos is better simply as a result of its absence in many other African cities. Rail and airport, Jo'burg and Capetown have it here. The reason I support the proposed new airport in Lekki because Lagos as a big metropolis can itself handle three international airports.
When talking about infrastructure generally in Lagos as compared to other African cities, it isn't all about the absence of it, but it's inadequacy for the population it hosts. And that's what gives Lagos the poor rankings by international media.
So the statement that Lagos (Islands) cannot at all be compared to Jo'burg (say Sandton) or Nairobi is simply irrational.
"Lagos is well interconnected by roads"

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by machinery1: 8:59pm On Aug 29, 2016
OBAFEMIawolowo:
but this ladipo market in Lagos

Nwabekeyi, na your Ibo brothers market you dey post. Uno fit learn.

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Puvour: 9:00pm On Aug 29, 2016
More roads

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by machinery1: 9:00pm On Aug 29, 2016
OBAFEMIawolowo:
let's be truthful, Nairobi is better developed than anything we have in Nigeria, Lagos has a better economy but Nairobi is infrastructurally ahead. I'm talking from experience.

Customized, you wey never reach MMI before talking about Nairobi. Lmao
Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Puvour: 9:05pm On Aug 29, 2016
Other random pictures

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Puvour: 9:21pm On Aug 29, 2016
More

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by Abagworo(m): 9:25pm On Aug 29, 2016
Puvour:
Now this is a better approach which I can engage intelligently. Not making irrational statements like the worst city in SA is better than the best in Nigeria.
To the point now
Whether it's provided for by the government or by the private sector or individuals, infrastructure is infrastructure once it is available. Many businesses and residences on the Island meet their power needs themselves so the issue of power not being their cannot really hold. If Power infrastructure was lacking on the island, Lagos would definitely not cash in from that place at all as the best revenue source. The only difference here is, the money that could have been saved or spent on other things to grow the businesses further by are being spent on the provision of that particular infrastructure. So it's not an issue of the lack of infrastructure, but the wrong utilization of input.
The Island has one of the best connected roads within it in Africa! The population makes it look inadequate but when you compare it in absolute terms with other African cities, it is sure fairing well. Of course, water transport in Lagos is better simply as a result of its absence in many other African cities. Rail and airport, Jo'burg and Capetown have it here. The reason I support the proposed new airport in Lekki because Lagos as a big metropolis can itself handle three international airports.
When talking about infrastructure generally in Lagos as compared to other African cities, it isn't all about the absence of it, but it's inadequacy for the population it hosts. And that's what gives Lagos the poor rankings by international media.
So the statement that Lagos (Islands) cannot at all be compared to Jo'burg (say Sandton) or Nairobi is simply irrational.
"Lagos is well interconnected by roads"

If you've been to SA and probably rode on the streets in downtowns, uptown and suburbs you wouldn't ever mention Lagos again. My honeymoon was in Capetown and I saw it as very unAfrican in development and orderliness. Maybe Nairobi is comparable with Lagos but never South African cities. I love Nigeria with all my heart and would not even like this unpatriotic discussion but sometimes inevitable truth must be expressed lest the ignorant is misled.

Lagos and Abuja remain our best but a lot needs to be done before we scream eureka!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And Abuja, Which Is A Better City? by KevinDein: 9:28pm On Aug 29, 2016
OoDVanguard:

Dude, you sound like a typical coward. The Abuja you are hyping has ghettos like kpadna village, Garki village right in the heart of Abuja itself. But you would rather bash Lasgidi. Abeg while you're entitled to your opinion, be mindful that it ain't worth shyt. cheesy
bro, that's your problem. Any sane person knows abuja is streets ahead of Lagos, and I still maintain, there's no basis for comparisons. The only people that could even think a debate should be held on which of the two cities is better are mostly yorubas and/or people born and brought up in lagos. Any neutral knows Abuja trumps lagos.

This is not hating, this is me stating the undiluted truth.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ohanaeze Ndigbo President, Iwuanyanwu Hosts Women Wing Led By Rita Daniels Chukw / Barcanista Issues Press Release After Being Chased Out Of Nairaland / Niger Delta Militants Withdraw Quit Notice To Northerners, Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.