Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,313 members, 7,836,358 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) (48906 Views)

Major Streets In Jos Flooded (Photos) / Newly Constructed Walkway In Jakande, Lekki (Photos) / Airforce Junction In Port Harcourt Flooded (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by WHOcarex: 4:42pm On Aug 30, 2016
Lol
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Nobody: 4:46pm On Aug 30, 2016
What kind of engineering is this? These people are just causing problems everywhere; all they're interested in is creating projects to get kickbacks. Feasibility, sustainability, proper execution and objectives are of no consequence to them.

1 Like

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by 9jatriot(m): 4:46pm On Aug 30, 2016
You are partly right. But my point is that, developed countries have underground tunnels running up to 50m below ground level, the politicians just needs to have a dream or buy a proposal and fund it, it is the responsibility of the architects, engineers and builders to develop and deliver the project. When that is done, the political class take the glory in the lime light while in the professional cycle, the professional cycle, the team that pull it through is acclaim and given more jobs to do.
The governors takes full responsibility, but am more concerned that in 2016, we cannot do a simple tunnel that is probably not more than 10km long and not really an underground tunnel. That's my anger boss.
2dugged:
if you give a man money to build a house for your mother and he does a bad job,isn't it your responsibility to call the contractor to order?

1 Like

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by jahlove4jah: 4:47pm On Aug 30, 2016
Driving in Owerri now is not a joke

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Pamtoye(m): 4:47pm On Aug 30, 2016
U say diz tin is newly constructed??
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Nobody: 4:48pm On Aug 30, 2016
9jatriot:
You are partly right. But my point is that, developed countries have underground tunnels running up to 50m below ground level, the politicians just needs to have a dream or buy a proposal and fund it, it is the responsibility of the architects, engineers and builders to develop and deliver the project. When that is done, the political class take the glory in the lime light while in the professional cycle, the professional cycle, the team that pull it through is acclaim and given more jobs to do.
The governors takes full responsibility, but am more concerned that in 2016, we cannot do a simple tunnel that is probably not more than 10km long and not really an underground tunnel. That's my anger boss.
it's sis, I have updated my comment, so you can understand my point
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by 9jatriot(m): 4:51pm On Aug 30, 2016
Ok. You are looking at the politics, am just angered at the flawed engineering. Boss na for man or woman na.
2dugged:
it's sis, I have updated my comment, so you can understand my point
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by jahlove4jah: 4:53pm On Aug 30, 2016
More

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Dronedude(m): 4:53pm On Aug 30, 2016
I saw this joke of a tunnel the last time I passed Imo state on my trip. Please there is no point doing infrastructural development if proper job execution plan and design isn't carried out and of course the involvement of reputable companies if not it will just be a waste of tax payers money on a sort of final year experimental project.

By the way, Imo State is in a state of brouhaha in terms of infrastructural development and it leaves me with one honest question, "What is wrong with the state government?"

2 Likes

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by ooofreezy(m): 4:53pm On Aug 30, 2016
Well.... I am visiting East for the second time this year and I think the problem is with their drainage system. Erosion has taken over most of their lands. So it's not only imo state alone. Let's be constructive in our criticism.

Ooofreezy.....
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by mrgreen4real(m): 4:54pm On Aug 30, 2016
jmoore:
Na this thing be tunnel?
No! na well
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by cole265(m): 4:55pm On Aug 30, 2016
AZeD1:
It looks like the problem is with the drainage not the road itself.

The contractors / engineers should the worried.
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Nobody: 4:56pm On Aug 30, 2016
efilefun:
The road aint the issue but the drainage which must had been blocked by same people using that road with their gala nylon and all sort of dirt thrown on the road.
it has no drainage
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by thedarksider: 4:57pm On Aug 30, 2016
nice looking mediocre.. grin grin grin

how many million nairas did they use to build this mediocre?....

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Obas101(m): 5:03pm On Aug 30, 2016
efilefun:
The road aint the issue but the drainage which must had been blocked by same people using that road with their gala nylon and all sort of dirt thrown on the road.
There was no drainage in the first place.. Result of poor planning and not giving the contracts to professionals
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Kiakia(m): 5:07pm On Aug 30, 2016
sarrki:
I have not heard 9f this road been commissioned

Pls let's be constructive in our criticism

It's for the good of all .

We should grow over may be it's APC or PDP

our concerns should be the betterment of our Dear society and country

Youth Pls wake-up
You do not live in Owerri. As a matter of fact, I do not think that you live anywhere within Imo State or knows the antecedents of Rochas Okorocha for that matter, because if you do, you will know that for the past five years and threee months he has been on the saddle in the State, he has not commissioned a single project. All the roads or whatever structure he has so far constructed or built are in great state of disrepair. Maybe, that is why he does not commission them.

1 Like

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by olisaokere(m): 5:08pm On Aug 30, 2016
Whatever
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Nobody: 5:09pm On Aug 30, 2016
AZeD1:
It looks like the problem is with the drainage not the road itself.
Why build road without a drainage system
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Kiakia(m): 5:09pm On Aug 30, 2016
Originality007:
grin is that a tunnel or fish pond?
More like a fish pond!
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Adiola(f): 5:11pm On Aug 30, 2016
Rochas is a mistake Which the people of imo state must correct come 2019 UP EKITI STATE

1 Like

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Leopantro: 5:11pm On Aug 30, 2016
culvert

meanwhile, some are praising this as an achievement

Abagworo:
I visited the site and found it fascinating. Whoever conceived the idea of creating a mini tunnel or mini interchange or whatever it turns out to be called is a genius. I've never witnessed such anywhere in Nigeria. I've seen under passes and tunnels but most of them are usually one directional. Kudos to Rochas Okorocha and his team for this invention.

2 Likes

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 30, 2016
Stupid Nigerians

grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Abagworo(m): 5:13pm On Aug 30, 2016
Obas101:

There was no drainage in the first place.. Result of poor planning and not giving the contracts to professionals

Sometimes I do wonder what you people gain by all these deceitful posts on social network all in a bid to discredit Mr Okorocha. I visited the tunnel and the standard is very good and drainage very well constructed. Anyone in doubt should visit and see for himself. The tunnel has an underground tank for water storage during rains and installed pumping system that pumps excess water to existing road drainage in case of flooding as seen on the OP's photos. Underground tunnels everywhere do get flooded after heavy rainfall and installed pumps used in pumping out the excess flood water.

Let's take a look at these flooded tunnels in UK and Saudi Arabia.

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/transportation/midtown-tunnel-flooded-during-storm/article_a68de17d-6f18-5d96-8153-3de8fd056102.html

Water flowed into the Midtown Tunnel through air
vents when Thursday's heavy rainfall overwhelmed
pumps on the Norfolk side, as well as a settlement
tank beneath the road. This has happened before
during storms, and no damage was done to the
tunnel, according to Leila Rice, a spokeswoman for
the tunnel operator, Elizabeth River Crossings.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2015/nov/26/tunnel-floods-in-saudi-arabia-amid-heavy-rain-trapping-cars-video

Local people in the Saudi Arabian capital of Riyadh
take pictures of a road tunnel which flooded during
heavy rains on Wednesday, completely submerging
vehicles, and a fleet of trucks converge to pump out the
water. One person is reported to have died and city
authorities have been forced to close roads and
thoroughfares as a result of the weather, which is due
to continue into Thursday

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Kiakia(m): 5:14pm On Aug 30, 2016
efilefun:
Are you alright?
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by MissingBudget: 5:16pm On Aug 30, 2016
Abagwor0 and Ujoat.u will soon come to defend him. I live in Owerri and I know what I suffer to and from work everyday. Tankers and containers falling left and right like it's Lagos State. undecided

1 Like

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Nobody: 5:17pm On Aug 30, 2016
9jatriot:
Ok. You are looking at the politics, am just angered at the flawed engineering. Boss na for man or woman na.
hehehehe, ok o,i be boss then grin
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by amuokuko: 5:17pm On Aug 30, 2016
tunnel
Ndi owerri pls dont call that by-pass abi flyover, tunnel...

nwanne, if this is tunnel, that means Lagos has 100's of tunnel, afterall motor dey pass under pedestrian bridge for lagos..

Tunnel Uwa Mmebi...

1 Like

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by diva90: 5:22pm On Aug 30, 2016
What a mess! Later he will claim he spent billions on this nonsense work undecided

1 Like

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Abagworo(m): 5:23pm On Aug 30, 2016
MissingBudget:
Abagwor0 and Ujoat.u will soon come to defend him. I live in Owerri and I know what I suffer to and from work everyday. Tankers and containers falling left and right like it's Lagos State. undecided

The whole Owerri is under total reconstruction and expectedly people will suffer for a while before smile comes. I know what people experienced in Port Harcourt when Amaechi made same type of decision but today we are all enjoying the roads. So my dear bear with Government for without pain there won't be gain.
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by columbus007(m): 5:25pm On Aug 30, 2016
cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Spotted: Tinubu Supporters In Aso Ebi Jetting To Abuja For The Inauguration. PIC / Dolapo Osinbajo Shows Her Handmade Pineapple Crochet Dress / Some Weapons Re-Captured From Boko Haram By The Army (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.